The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Great Houston restaurant burns

freddyrun

• Total Posts: 1
Great Houston restaurant burns Wed, 12/19/07 12:53 AM (permalink)
Williams Smokehouse in the Acres Homes section of Houston was destroyed by fire on December 18, 2007. A tremendous loss.

buffetbuster

RE: Great Houston restaurant burns Wed, 12/19/07 5:24 AM (permalink)
    What a shame! I was really looking forward to trying this place later this year. Here is a video from the local news:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=5842167

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
      RE: Great Houston restaurant burns Wed, 12/19/07 8:51 AM (permalink)
      I'm sad to hear this. Another roadfood loss.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Great Houston restaurant burns Wed, 12/19/07 8:56 AM (permalink)
        So sad to hear about this loss.

I did have an opportunity to dine there last February with The Travelin' Man. I know he will be dissapointed too, this was one of his favorite spots to visit in Houston.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
          RE: Great Houston restaurant burns Wed, 12/19/07 8:58 AM (permalink)
          RIP Williams Smokehouse

Williams was usually my first stop coming out of the airport whenever I arrived in Houston. I never thought that the Houston BBQ scene was fabulous, but this was the best of the bunch - and a real treasure. Located in what appeared to be a very rough neighborhood, I always had great visits at Williams - both food and service. The people who run the place (I have seen Mr. Williams - from the video - there a couple of times) are wonderful. Often I was the only white person (or whoever I brought there with me) in the place - and was never made to feel anything but welcome.

My heart goes out to Mr. Williams, his family, and all those who worked hard to make Williams Smokehouse a legendary Roadfood stop in Houston.

The Travelin Man

RE: Great Houston restaurant burns Wed, 12/19/07 9:41 AM (permalink)
            I just looked at something else - the thread where folks talk about which Roadfood establishments at which they have eaten - and there are very few folks who lay claim to Williams Smokehouse. I know that I had to practically twist wanderingjew's arm into going there (admittedly, it was on the front end of a "Death by BBQ" weekend through the Mecca of BBQ - Lockhart and the surrounding areas), and there are even some Texas-based folks who do not list Williams.

So, adding to the legend of Williams Smokehouse was that it was a true "hidden" gem in the Roadfood world. It is what Burger Joint in NYC aspires to be - that place where only locals know about and you have to be "in the know" to get it. Now, Burger Joint is one of the worst kept secrets in NYC. Williams Smokehouse, on the other hand, died as one of the best kept secrets in Houston.

buffetbuster

RE: Great Houston restaurant burns Wed, 12/19/07 9:52 AM (permalink)
              Traveling Man-
              Sure, you just have to rub it in that you made it there and I didn't!

According to tv video, it sounds like the founder has no interest in starting over. But his sons have been running the place for a while and maybe they will want to rebuild. At least, I am really hoping so.

amini1

• Total Posts: 49
                RE: Great Houston restaurant burns Wed, 12/19/07 10:00 AM (permalink)
                Very sad. I was just there a couple months ago for the first time. I can count on one hand the number of BBQ joints i would eat at here in Houston. That number just went down by one.

Texianjoe

• Total Posts: 639
                  RE: Great Houston restaurant burns Wed, 12/19/07 10:07 AM (permalink)
                  We still have Burns nearby. Although I always liked Williams better, and the place was nicer. I will miss it.

joe

The Travelin Man

RE: Great Houston restaurant burns Thu, 12/20/07 9:17 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by buffetbuster

Traveling Man-
                    Sure, you just have to rub it in that you made it there and I didn't!

According to tv video, it sounds like the founder has no interest in starting over. But his sons have been running the place for a while and maybe they will want to rebuild. At least, I am really hoping so.

I surely didn't want to rub your nose in anything, but I just think that, for whatever reason, Williams just wasn't on that many people's radar.

buffetbuster

RE: Great Houston restaurant burns Thu, 12/20/07 1:39 PM (permalink)
                      Traveling Man-
                      Oh, I was just having fun! I hate to hear about any Roadfood place no longer in business, let alone a really highly regarded one I haven't made it to.

The last time I was in Houston was in 2004, but I don't think it was reviewed on here at the time. If it was, I surely would have eaten there then.

Let's just hope the sons decide to rebuild.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com