Great Italian bakery in Cumberland, MD

Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
2009/07/21 16:50:55 (permalink)

Great Italian bakery in Cumberland, MD

In recent weeks,  we drove through  Cumberland, MD  twice and discovered a wonderful Italian bakery with all sorts of awesome  breads and pastries.  We did not know it when we walked in but a gentleman waiting his turn informed me that this place was famous for their pepperoni rolls.  We looked into the showcase and they looked wonderful. 

They are a lot different looking than the ones that I have seen in pictures  posted here on  Roadfood.  A customore, waiting his turn, advised us to get the ones that had mozzarella cheese and sauce in them  so that is what we did .  These rolls were very large.  One is enough for a meal for  anyone.  The bread part was just wonderful  and the inside consisted of  layers of  sandwich pepperoni  slices  and mozzarella cheese with a  bit of  spicy tomato sauce. 

We also purchased some  pastries  and a giant  cinnamon roll which we had the owner cut into  sections for us.  Our purchases made for a great  picnic on the grounds of  Frostburg University,  where a granddaughter was enrolling  in a basketball camp.

Upon returning  home, we stopped and  bought  sub rolls  and Italian bread.  Both were outstanding.  We returned there the following week  to  pick  her up from camp .  We had decided to buy enough for a picnic  supper  as we were going to head for  Florida after the  4:30 pick-up  and wanted to drive  240 miles to Beckley WV  so  thought this would be a great option  instead of taking time to stop for  a sit down meal in restaurant.  Again,  everything  was delicious.

I cannot recommend this bakery highly enough.  The sales room  looks more like  a mini  family museum  with all the photos, mementos, and newspaper clipping hanging all around...................I could have spent a hour there just looking and reading.  It is a mere  2 minute drive  from  1-68   and  a must stop for any Roadfooder  driving  through.

Caporale's Bakery Inc.
Over 100 years old, Caporale's Bakery is located in downtown Cumberland. We are famous for our fresh baked pepperoni rolls—a local favorite! Stop in and check out our variety of delicious baked goods…our Italian bread is not to be missed.

Phone 301 722-7755 Address 151 N. Mechanic St. Cumberland MD 21502                             

post edited by Greymo - 2009/07/21 16:52:11

2 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10083
    Re:Great Italian bakery in Cumberland, MD 2009/07/22 08:15:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report Greymo!  This place sounds wonderful.  I am on I-68 a couple times a year passing Cumberland and now I know where to stop next time through.  Don't think I have ever had pepperoni rolls with cheese and sauce inside.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Great Italian bakery in Cumberland, MD 2009/07/22 12:29:12 (permalink)
    Sounds great, Greymo! There is nothing better than a true, good Italian bakery.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1