Great Jamaican food - Stroudsburg PA

Author
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 393
2010/02/24 18:04:05 (permalink)

Great Jamaican food - Stroudsburg PA

If you're in the area, Island Delights is a wonderful , friendly, casual stop for Jamaican food. This is a family operation with pride, and it shows in the quality of the cuisine. We have had a few dishes, and recommend:
Curry chicken, served with rice/peas, plantains and cabbage. Lovely, deeply incendiary curry of chicken on the bone with whole peppercorns and cloves, and chunks of potato. Sweet plantains, and soft, spicy cabbage complete the dinner.
Curry goat roti - the same curry as the chicken, but with the slightly gamier, richer goat meat. Served in a dal puri bread, and impossible to eat with your hands so ask for a fork and knife.
Oxtails - in a brown gravy, slowly braised until the meat falls off the bone, with rice/peas, plantains and cabbage.
We are addicted to the above items, and find it hard to try new things, but I have a feeling their Jerk chicken is probably wonderful too. The meat pies are also tasty, and I do not know if they are homemade or commercially made. The Raisin Bread Pudding is delightful as well - they have what looks like a Spice Cake and a Sweet Potato Pudding that we are going to get to soon. (The only off note was when my fiance ordered Fish and Chips, and was disappointed to realize the fish was frozen, not fresh.)
Island Delights is a bright, clean storefront painted red, yellow and green. There are a few tables in the front, but it mostly geared for take-out - good thing, I'd be embarrassed for people to see me licking my fingers! Counter help is super friendly, and portions are very generous. (A small portion of dinner feeds me 2x...!) New to this part of Pennsylvania, we were so happy to find this place...

Island Delights
31 Crystal Street
E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301
570-424-1903

4 Replies Related Threads

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Great Jamaican food - Stroudsburg PA 2010/02/24 21:15:05 (permalink)
    There was a Jamaican place here that unfortunately closed down before we got out there--everything sounds great!  
    Sneetch
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Great Jamaican food - Stroudsburg PA 2010/02/28 19:38:31 (permalink)
    Nancypalooza - hope you get some Jamaican food near you soon!
    now, if we could only find a good Vietnamese place in the Poconos....
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1587
    Re:Great Jamaican food - Stroudsburg PA 2010/03/03 09:13:55 (permalink)
    Good report, thanks. Sometimes I go thru that area on the way up to the Poconos a couple of times a year, so I'll keep this place in mind. There's a great used LP store on Main St. in Stroudsburg that I like to stop at.

<<The meat pies are also tasty, and I do not know if they are homemade or commercially made. >>

Many of the Jamaican places in the NY/NJ area get thier meat patties from Golden Krust bakery. They are very good. I wouldn't be surprised if they made their way out to PA too.
    http://www.goldenkrustbakery.com/
    Sneetch
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Great Jamaican food - Stroudsburg PA 2010/03/05 11:25:51 (permalink)
    you're right Ken8038 - we shop at Main Street Jukebox for used cd's and lp's regularly!

...that Golden Krust website made me hungry for meat patties...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1