The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Great Shapiro's experience

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
Great Shapiro's experience Thu, 03/16/06 4:49 PM (permalink)
I just went to Shapiro's in Indianapolis for the first time in years, and it's as good as ever. This time I took my dad - a native New Yorker and a tough critic of corned beef - to see what he thought. He agreed with me that the corned beef was better than any he'd had in the Midwest - even better than Manny's in Chicago. He also praised the rye bread, which was thick with nice crunchy edges. Definitely a million times better than the packaged stuff now used at even some NY delis. The chicken soup was excellent, as was the potato pancake and strawberry rhubarb pie. I wish it wasn't four hours away! Or maybe it's better that way -I'd weigh 300 pounds if it was here.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Great Shapiro's experience Thu, 03/16/06 5:11 PM (permalink)

We used to "do" lunch there back in the 80's whenever we gathered at Ivy Tech's Central Office in Indianapolis. The quality was always very high. I am no expert on Deli sandwiches, but the lunches we enjoyed at Shapiro's were good enough to hold a memory cell or two in my old mind.I am pleased to hear that apparently the quality is holding up over the years.

Sundancer7

RE: Great Shapiro's experience Thu, 03/16/06 5:16 PM (permalink)
      I have not been to the one downtown since the reopened but I have been to the one on the North side of Indy. It is located in a very upsacle shopping center.

The selection was enormous and the bakery was super. I had the corned beef. Although it was not stacked high, it was very tasty and the veggies were very good also.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
        RE: Great Shapiro's experience Thu, 03/16/06 8:34 PM (permalink)
        Glad to hear you had a good meal. It's been at least 2 years since I've been there. In addition to the very good corned beef and fresh baked rye I think Shapiro's has excellent potato salad, one of the best I've ever had. And I always leave with a little bag of rugelach.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
          RE: Great Shapiro's experience Thu, 03/16/06 8:35 PM (permalink)
          I frequented Shapiro's for breakfast every time I visted my mother when she lived up the road from the one on 86th Street. That Shapiro's has since closed and moved further north. I ate dinner at the new location but couldn't adapt to the change. Maybe it just didn't click as a place to go to dinner being a cafeteria. It was great for breakfast and lunch at the 86th Street location.

dug

• Total Posts: 213
            RE: Great Shapiro's experience Thu, 03/16/06 10:32 PM (permalink)
            one of my favs,i'll be in indy this weekend[from chicago]and plan on a visit to the downtown location!

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
              RE: Great Shapiro's experience Sat, 03/18/06 11:27 AM (permalink)
              Just another of the great places I would have missed except for the old "Roadfood" book write-up. And it was still good the last time I was there in 2004.

AaronM

• Total Posts: 196
                RE: Great Shapiro's experience Wed, 08/20/08 11:14 AM (permalink)
                I absolutely love Shapiro's. I’ve lived in Indy about 5 years, and love to take visitors there. The sandwiches are pricey, but worth every penny. The dinners are a better deal.

Love the pies and they serve some of the best potato salad I have never had.

My favorite sandwich it the Ruben, but the rare Roast beef is also very good. Good bagels too!

buffetbuster

RE: Great Shapiro's experience Wed, 08/20/08 11:28 AM (permalink)
                  I have only been to Shapiro's twice and both times it was for breakfast. I am feeling I have missed out by never having had lunch or dinner there. A reuben, chicken soup and the potato salad next time, for sure!

AaronM

• Total Posts: 196
                    RE: Great Shapiro's experience Wed, 08/20/08 12:15 PM (permalink)
                    Trust me...you won't regret it.

firecommander3565

• Total Posts: 505
                      RE: Great Shapiro's experience Wed, 08/20/08 12:23 PM (permalink)
                      Having eaten at both Manny's (in Chicago) and Shapiro's, I much prefered Manny's. Shaprio's slices their corn beef much thicker.
                      Both are great places, but Mannys is better quality (in my opinion) and a better selection. The prices are lower at Shapiro's.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                        RE: Great Shapiro's experience Wed, 08/20/08 1:40 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by firecommander3565

Having eaten at both Manny's (in Chicago) and Shapiro's, I much prefered Manny's. Shaprio's slices their corn beef much thicker.
                        Both are great places, but Mannys is better quality (in my opinion) and a better selection. The prices are lower at Shapiro's.

That's funnny because I like Shapiro's better for that reason. I like it a little thick. I have not been to a New York Deli so I have never known how they do it but I always imagined that it was sliced thicker like Shapiro's.

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
                          RE: Great Shapiro's experience Sat, 08/23/08 2:47 PM (permalink)
                          Shapiro's one of my all-time favorites. The food is really good and there is so much of it to choose from.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com