Great SoCal Pizza. An oxymoron?

Author
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
2006/09/26 20:52:34 (permalink)

Great SoCal Pizza. An oxymoron?

Speaking of pizza... I just moved to Southern California from New York. Needless to say, I'm pizza deprived. Are there any pizza places in all of SoCal that deserve being mentioned in the same breath as East Coast pizzerias? Will drive from San Diego to Santa Barbara all the way to Perris for a top quality pie... or at least slice. Anything.

5 Replies Related Threads

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4085
    RE: Great SoCal Pizza. An oxymoron? 2006/09/27 00:41:31 (permalink)
    This place is consistently noted as a great pizza place. Woodfired oven neopolitan type pizza.
    Antica Pizzeria in Marina Del Rey
    http://www.anticapizzeria.net/mdr/history.htm

I enjoy this place a lot. He moved here from Brooklyn several years ago after working in his familie's place. Even has the oregano and garlic powder on the table.
    Brooklyn Brick Oven Pizza Inc
    500 S Sepulveda Blvd, Manhattan Beach, CA
    Tel: (310) 379-6599
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Great SoCal Pizza. An oxymoron? 2006/09/27 03:57:43 (permalink)
    Thanks, Ed. These both will be tried. Given that you didn't steer me wrong in the past, I am going in with an open mind.

There's got to be more out here. So many transplants. Don't tell me everyone eats at Numero Uno's. Just don't suggest Bronx Pizza in San Diego. This place wins so many awards, which boggles the mind. I was so looking forward to it. The fake name should've given it away. Canned tomatoes on a cracker. They put like ten toppings to try the mask the fact that they're so inept. The west coast does seem to pile on the toppings rather than enjoy the pie in it's most pure state; that being crust, sauce, cheese.
    MrDimn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Great SoCal Pizza. An oxymoron? 2006/10/24 12:29:41 (permalink)
    Cornfed, if you are looking for a good place for some NY style pizza, I would recommend Knockout's in Carlsbad or San Diego (Mira Mesa area). The pie is 18", which is uncommon in the SoCal area. The pizza is a touch on the thin side. Not much thinner than NY Style, but to us East Coasters... we'll notice a difference. Overall, it's one of the better places that I know of.

I started another topic for pizza in San Diego, and another person recommended a joint in Oceanside, I forget the name off hand, but you may want to try it.

Take it easy,

Doug
    bss717
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Great SoCal Pizza. An oxymoron? 2006/10/24 13:28:05 (permalink)
    I wouldn't make a special trip, but when I lived in Burbank I always enjoyed Dino's pizza and Joe Peeps in N. Hollywood.
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Great SoCal Pizza. An oxymoron? 2006/12/09 05:13:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cornfed

Thanks, Ed. These both will be tried. Given that you didn't steer me wrong in the past, I am going in with an open mind.

There's got to be more out here. So many transplants. Don't tell me everyone eats at Numero Uno's. Just don't suggest Bronx Pizza in San Diego. This place wins so many awards, which boggles the mind. I was so looking forward to it. The fake name should've given it away. Canned tomatoes on a cracker. They put like ten toppings to try the mask the fact that they're so inept. The west coast does seem to pile on the toppings rather than enjoy the pie in it's most pure state; that being crust, sauce, cheese.

that is true for most west coast pizza places unfortunately... i've found that the best pizza comes from resturants that don't use the word "pizza" in their name, usually the smaller mom-and-pop italian restaurants. most big-name pizza places out here try to copy pizza hut, domino's etc....
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1