The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Great Steakhouses

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 13, messages 271 to 300 of 364
MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 06/26/07 8:20 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rogey88

I have eaten Ruth chris, Mortons, Lawreys, But by the far the best steak house i have been to is Charleys Steak House In orlando, Its ranked 3rd in the nation, Mortons and Ruths chris are not in the top 10 even though they are very good.

Please. These "ratings services" are advertising scams. Let's start one right here: "Le Cordon Rouge Greatest Steakhouses in America". For credibility, plug in Peter Luger's, Harris', Bern's on the list of top 20 and sell the to other 17 places to establishments who at least offer cloth napkins. Please.

MetroplexJim

RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 07/3/07 1:44 PM (permalink)
    1) Go to Sam's Club and get yourself some $8/lb. tenderloin.

2) Coat them in Char-Crust's "Original Hickory" rub, let them rise to room temperature and throw them on a hot charcoal grill, turn only once.

www.charcrust.com in case your local grocery doesn't carry it. You'll recognize it in your grocery's rub section because the packaging is like a pint milk carton.

In the Winter get a Cuisinart "Griddler" and cook on "sear". (This rig is a superior knock-off of the "Foreman Grill" - $129 and worth every cent).

This six buck hunk of meat is 90% as good as a $45 12 oz. filet at Morton's!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 07/3/07 1:49 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by MetroplexJim

2) Coat them in Char-Crust's "Original Hickory" rub, let them rise to room temperature and throw them on a hot charcoal grill, turn only once.

www.charcrust.com in case your local grocery doesn't carry it. You'll recognize it in your grocery's rub section because the packaging is like a pint milk carton.

In the Winter get a Cuisinart "Griddler" and cook on "sear". (This rig is a superior knock-off of the "Foreman Grill" - $129 and worth every cent).

Is Sam's a local Steakhouse???

MetroplexJim

RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 07/3/07 2:08 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
        Originally posted by MetroplexJim

Is Sam's a local Steakhouse???

Guess I was a little off topic. Sorry.

That said, my most enjoyable steak dining has always been at The Prime Rib on K St. in WDC. Treat a lady to a meal there and "dessert" is a certainty.

The best steaks ever: Peter Luger's, NYC, Harris, SFO, El Club Jockey, Madrid, Terraco Atlantico, Copa-RJ, BR, Le Mont, PGH, and most any place with white cloth napkins in BA, ARG.

Breedoni

• Total Posts: 4
          RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 07/31/07 5:23 PM (permalink)
          Just back from a 6715 mile Fl-CA-FL trip.
          For grins ate at The Big Texan and had a wonderful 20oz Rib Eye--very surprised
          Doe's Eats-absolutely the best --Greenville MS
          And I've been eating at Bern's for 36 years-Steak is great but old CA vintages can only find there.

Dan Wathen

• Total Posts: 13
            RE: Great Steakhouses Thu, 08/9/07 2:51 PM (permalink)
            Hard to beat Peter Luger's in Brooklyn or Charlies in Orlando but I also enjoy Manny's in Minneapolis, Bones in Atlanta, Bob's in Dallas, Ringside in Portland ( downtown ), Rainwaters in San Diego, Plaza 3 in KC, and Misty's in Lincoln, NE. Chicago has maybe the best overall with the Chop House, G&G's, and Morton's. Good chains are Lone Star and Outback.

wesleyman

• Total Posts: 57
              RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 10/1/07 10:33 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Alright, I stand here ready to have my head handed to me -- but I just ate one of the best steaks I have had in my life -- top 10 lifetime, call it -- at a chain restaurant and for under 10 bucks incl beverage.

Honest.

6oz thick cut sirloin dinner, MR, with green beans, steak fries, and all I could eat peanuts and warm rolls with cinnamon butter. 7.99, and it was awesome.

The place: The Texas Roadhouse in Cincinnati (Milford, specifically). I never would have thought a relatively inexpensive chain steakhouse could be so good....

take a gander: http://www.texasroadhouse.com/menu02.html

Yeah, yeah...I'm sure all those 30-70 bucks-a-plate places have better steaks. No problem. But this was close and was 8 bucks....got to love the value.

TJ, My wife and I ate there this weekend. We were blown away, the steak, the ribs and the chicken were all excellent as were the sides. the fries and BBQ sauce were the 2 weak points, they were pretty good, but had that generic "chainy" feel to them, other than that it was fantastic and reasonably priced. This is one chain we will return to.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                RE: Great Steakhouses Fri, 10/5/07 11:03 AM (permalink)
                Wanderingjew,Sam's Club is part of Walmart.They sell things at wholesale prices,like food,tires,electronics etc.They are like Costco. Do you have Costco in your area?
                Wesleyman,nothing wrong with Texas RoadHouse.The one by the Regal Cinema in Live Oak is always packed. They have good food,and pretty reasonable. Never had a bad steak there at the one by me.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Great Steakhouses Fri, 10/5/07 11:09 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by HollyDolly

Wanderingjew,Sam's Club is part of Walmart.They sell things at wholesale prices,like food,tires,electronics etc.They are like Costco. Do you have Costco in your area?
                  Wesleyman,nothing wrong with Texas RoadHouse.The one by the Regal Cinema in Live Oak is always packed. They have good food,and pretty reasonable. Never had a bad steak there at the one by me.

I know, I was just being sarcastic. I can't stand it when someone inquires about where to find the best steakhouse, breakfast, burger, etc, and some bozo responds "My House!"

ptalley

RE: Great Steakhouses Fri, 10/5/07 12:05 PM (permalink)
                    Steakhouse reviews are very subjective. Some people even rave about Outback. I can cook a steak at home that will rival most of the chains (Ruth Chris,, Shula's, Morton's etc). So when I eat a steak out, I want a real dining experience ie: quality, ambiance, wait staff, menu choices etc.

I've had the opportunity to eat at most every one of the big guys but here are my top 3 choices.
                    #3 Emeril's Delmonico. New Orleans and Las Vegas. Specially seasoned steaks, innovative sides and some of the most personable waiters and servers anywhere.
                    #2 Uncle Jack's, Manhattan. A newer entry in the New York steak house style that has it all. Top notch service, great meat (even Kobe beef ...at $100 ala carte!). As New York as you can get but better, across the board,in my opinion, than Peter Lugar's.
                    #1 Bern's Tampa. Hands down winner for me. I've eaten there probably 20 times and have never been disappointed. Heavy dry aged beef, may not be every ones choice but they do it right. Over 1,000,000 bottles of wine in their cellar...largest in the U.S. I think. Their waiters apprentice for 4 years before they can become waiters. They work at other jobs in the restaurant, on Bern's farm etc. Ver knowledgeable about their menu. You can tour the kitchen and the wine cellar. If you want fish they have a 10,000 gallon tank in the kitchen where you see your fish swimming 30 minutes before you eat him!

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
                      RE: Great Steakhouses Fri, 10/5/07 12:25 PM (permalink)
                      Mexa Grill Filet.

JaSnake16

• Total Posts: 17
                        RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 10/15/07 5:29 PM (permalink)
                        My top 3:
                        1.) Peter Lugar, Brooklyn
                        2.) Emeril's Delmonico in the Venetian, LV
                        3.) Old Homestead in the Borgata A.C.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
                          RE: Great Steakhouses Thu, 12/27/07 10:36 AM (permalink)
                          Anyone familiar with Montana Mike's? There's one opening here in Georgetown Tx. I googled the menu and it looks pretty good but no prices.

dannybotz

• Total Posts: 357
                            RE: Great Steakhouses Thu, 12/27/07 10:55 AM (permalink)
                            Ive eaten at most of the great N.Y. steakhouses( Lugers, Smith and Wollensky, Palm, Bobby Van's, The Homestead, Ben Bensons, as well as Shulas, Micheal Jordans, Mortons, Ruth Chris, and Houstons but the @ best steaks and overall experiences ive had were:

1. Dylan's Prime in N.Y.

2. The Precinct in Cincy

They both were amazing for variuos reasons . I'll elaborate if anybody cares!!!:-)

MiamiDon

RE: Great Steakhouses Sun, 12/30/07 12:25 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by dannybotz

Ive eaten at most of the great N.Y. steakhouses( Lugers, Smith and Wollensky, Palm, Bobby Van's, The Homestead, Ben Bensons, as well as Shulas, Micheal Jordans, Mortons, Ruth Chris, and Houstons but the @ best steaks and overall experiences ive had were:

1. Dylan's Prime in N.Y.

2. The Precinct in Cincy

They both were amazing for variuos reasons . I'll elaborate if anybody cares!!!:-)

Please do! I have family in NY, so I make it up there every once and a while.

Thanks.

Goobzilla

• Total Posts: 43
                                RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 01/7/08 8:13 AM (permalink)
                                I love good steakhouses! I love trying new ones out whenever I'm out of town. Some of my favorites are

Independents:
                                Downtown Ringside Portland
                                Metropolitan Grill Seattle
                                Charley's Orlando

Chains:
                                Mortons
                                Don Shula's
                                Ruth's Chris

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 01/7/08 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Goobzilla

I love good steakhouses! I love trying new ones out whenever I'm out of town. Some of my favorites are

Independents:
                                  Charley's Orlando

Chains:
                                  Mortons
                                  Don Shula's
                                  Ruth's Chris

Sorry, but Charley's goes in the Chains category.

I went there once or twice ... never thought it was that great (or worth the money) and their wine pour was minuscule.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                    RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 01/7/08 12:49 PM (permalink)
                                    Charley's is probably in that grey area of restaurants that may or may not be considered part of a chain by some. We probably need some highly educated authority on this matter, like TJ Jackson to help decipher...but, here is the scoop.

Charley's has four locations; three of which are in the Orlando area and one in Tampa. For me, that puts into the very regional category - much like the well-regarded Columbia Restaurant.

However, Charley's is owned by a[url='http://www.talkofthetownrestaurants.com/tott_home.html']restaurant group[/url] that has other brands located throughout (primarily) central Florida.

I have been to Charley's numerous times and I think it is better than average for a prime steak. However, Vito's on I-Drive is one of my favorite upscale restaurants in Orlando.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 01/7/08 2:16 PM (permalink)
                                      Maybe a unit of measure is how corporate a group of restaurants gets ...

Charley's is certainly that.

I agree that Vito's is a better bet.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                                        • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 01/7/08 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                        Your description of Charley's brought about a chuckle or two as I remembered a small group (3 or 4) restaurants in central New Jersey.. Charlies, Charlies Brother, Charlies other Brother (Mt.Holly), Charlies Uncle, and I think there was another "Charleys other Uncle" if my memory serves. Either the original or the first "Brother" was in Kendall Park, We used to go to the Mt Holly location now and then. I often thought this was a good way to keep the family control on a series of related restaurants.. Sort of like many of the Greek Diners were linked.

My time in New Jersey was back in the mid-70's so these names may be long forgotten. They did serve a pretty good steak, somewhat like the "Roadhouse" sort of Steak-chain is today.

andydeahl

• Total Posts: 27
                                          RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 01/7/08 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                          Vic Stewarts, Walnut Creek CA
                                          Outstanding.

Also, if you reserve it early you can get a private dining room for 2,4 or up to 20 in the attached rail car.

plb

RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 01/7/08 4:10 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by andydeahl

Vic Stewarts, Walnut Creek CA
                                            Outstanding.

Also, if you reserve it early you can get a private dining room for 2,4 or up to 20 in the attached rail car.

Vic Stewarts has some very good in the bar only sandwiches that are very good deals (the last I knew).

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
                                              RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 01/7/08 5:01 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by The Travelin Man

We probably need some highly educated authority on this matter, like TJ Jackson to help decipher

Naa......I no longer think of this as something to butt heads over, Stevekoe, tho I do still believe a chain can produce quality roadfood - and in fact, some do.

Frankman

• Total Posts: 300
                                                RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 01/7/08 5:16 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Big George

I continue to be amazed at the culinary knowledge of the popsters at Roadfood.com. Im sure many of you have a favorite steak house. How about it. Thanks

I had to give up eating beef many years ago, however I did get to Peter Luger's. The steak was really fantastic. I even remember how good the tomato and onion salad was all these years later.

Goobzilla

• Total Posts: 43
                                                  RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 01/7/08 6:39 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Goobzilla

Independents:
                                                  Charley's Orlando

Chains:
                                                  Mortons
                                                  Don Shula's
                                                  Ruth's Chris

Sorry, but Charley's goes in the Chains category.

I went there once or twice ... never thought it was that great (or worth the money) and their wine pour was minuscule.

Well, I haven't eaten there since 1990 but I think it was the only one at that time. It was on the OBT and it was fantastic. Granted I was 20 and thousands of miles from home, but I liked to eat there once a month if I could afford it. Usually I found a way

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                                    RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 01/8/08 10:58 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
                                                    Originally posted by HollyDolly

I know, I was just being sarcastic. I can't stand it when someone inquires about where to find the best steakhouse, breakfast, burger, etc, and some bozo responds "My House!"

Me too.

denniscmcgrath

• Total Posts: 1
                                                      RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 06/3/08 3:23 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Your description of Charley's brought about a chuckle or two as I remembered a small group (3 or 4) restaurants in central New Jersey.. Charlies, Charlies Brother, Charlies other Brother (Mt.Holly), Charlies Uncle, and I think there was another "Charleys other Uncle" if my memory serves. Either the original or the first "Brother" was in Kendall Park ...

The original Charlie's Uncle was in Kingston, which is close enough to Kendall Park. Charlie's Brother was on 518 in Hopewell. There was one way up in northern Somerset county in Watchung or thereabouts. All of them but the original stand in Kingston are now closed; and that one is really a Beefsteak Charlie's but they kept the Charlie's Uncles name. Good, not great, steak.

Great steak? Del Frisco's in Dallas ...

yamahafjr

• Total Posts: 10
                                                        • Location: Newport Beach, CA
                                                        RE: Great Steakhouses Fri, 06/27/08 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                                        Del Frisco's in Las Vegas is at the top of my list...Flemings Prime is also one of the finest steaks I've had. 3rd would be Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian Churrascuria--skip most of the cuts and get nonstop "picahna"--their delectable boneless ribeye cut.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                                          RE: Great Steakhouses Fri, 06/27/08 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                                          I have been to many Steak Houses in my life and the two best have been at:

The Lark in Michigan
                                                          http://www.thelark.com/

X O Prime Steaks in Cleveland Ohio
                                                          http://xoprimesteaks.com/cleveland_steakhouse_home/

These are outside of New York
                                                          If you are headed there you already know where to go....Russ

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
                                                            • Location: Austin, TX
                                                            RE: Great Steakhouses Fri, 06/27/08 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                                            Fogo de Chao Austin Tx.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 13, messages 271 to 300 of 364

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com