Great Steakhouses

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4089
  • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
  • Location: McKinney, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/06/26 20:20:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rogey88

I have eaten Ruth chris, Mortons, Lawreys, But by the far the best steak house i have been to is Charleys Steak House In orlando, Its ranked 3rd in the nation, Mortons and Ruths chris are not in the top 10 even though they are very good.


Please. These "ratings services" are advertising scams. Let's start one right here: "Le Cordon Rouge Greatest Steakhouses in America". For credibility, plug in Peter Luger's, Harris', Bern's on the list of top 20 and sell the to other 17 places to establishments who at least offer cloth napkins. Please.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4089
  • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
  • Location: McKinney, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/07/03 13:44:34 (permalink)
1) Go to Sam's Club and get yourself some $8/lb. tenderloin.

2) Coat them in Char-Crust's "Original Hickory" rub, let them rise to room temperature and throw them on a hot charcoal grill, turn only once.

www.charcrust.com in case your local grocery doesn't carry it. You'll recognize it in your grocery's rub section because the packaging is like a pint milk carton.

In the Winter get a Cuisinart "Griddler" and cook on "sear". (This rig is a superior knock-off of the "Foreman Grill" - $129 and worth every cent).

This six buck hunk of meat is 90% as good as a $45 12 oz. filet at Morton's!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
  • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/07/03 13:49:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

1) Go to Sam's Club and get yourself some $8/lb. tenderloin.

2) Coat them in Char-Crust's "Original Hickory" rub, let them rise to room temperature and throw them on a hot charcoal grill, turn only once.

www.charcrust.com in case your local grocery doesn't carry it. You'll recognize it in your grocery's rub section because the packaging is like a pint milk carton.

In the Winter get a Cuisinart "Griddler" and cook on "sear". (This rig is a superior knock-off of the "Foreman Grill" - $129 and worth every cent).

This six buck hunk of meat is 90% as good as a $45 12 oz. filet at Morton's!


Is Sam's a local Steakhouse???
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4089
  • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
  • Location: McKinney, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/07/03 14:08:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

1) Go to Sam's Club and get yourself some $8/lb. tenderloin.

2) Coat them in Char-Crust's "Original Hickory" rub, let them rise to room temperature and throw them on a hot charcoal grill, turn only once.

www.charcrust.com in case your local grocery doesn't carry it. You'll recognize it in your grocery's rub section because the packaging is like a pint milk carton.

In the Winter get a Cuisinart "Griddler" and cook on "sear". (This rig is a superior knock-off of the "Foreman Grill" - $129 and worth every cent).

This six buck hunk of meat is 90% as good as a $45 12 oz. filet at Morton's!


Is Sam's a local Steakhouse???


Guess I was a little off topic. Sorry.

That said, my most enjoyable steak dining has always been at The Prime Rib on K St. in WDC. Treat a lady to a meal there and "dessert" is a certainty.

The best steaks ever: Peter Luger's, NYC, Harris, SFO, El Club Jockey, Madrid, Terraco Atlantico, Copa-RJ, BR, Le Mont, PGH, and most any place with white cloth napkins in BA, ARG.
Breedoni
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2007/06/20 10:02:00
  • Location: Leesburg, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/07/31 17:23:37 (permalink)
Just back from a 6715 mile Fl-CA-FL trip.
For grins ate at The Big Texan and had a wonderful 20oz Rib Eye--very surprised
Doe's Eats-absolutely the best --Greenville MS
And I've been eating at Bern's for 36 years-Steak is great but old CA vintages can only find there.
Dan Wathen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Joined: 2007/03/29 13:05:00
  • Location: Youngstown, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/08/09 14:51:42 (permalink)
Hard to beat Peter Luger's in Brooklyn or Charlies in Orlando but I also enjoy Manny's in Minneapolis, Bones in Atlanta, Bob's in Dallas, Ringside in Portland ( downtown ), Rainwaters in San Diego, Plaza 3 in KC, and Misty's in Lincoln, NE. Chicago has maybe the best overall with the Chop House, G&G's, and Morton's. Good chains are Lone Star and Outback.
wesleyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
  • Joined: 2005/02/01 12:05:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/10/01 22:33:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Alright, I stand here ready to have my head handed to me -- but I just ate one of the best steaks I have had in my life -- top 10 lifetime, call it -- at a chain restaurant and for under 10 bucks incl beverage.

Honest.

6oz thick cut sirloin dinner, MR, with green beans, steak fries, and all I could eat peanuts and warm rolls with cinnamon butter. 7.99, and it was awesome.

The place: The Texas Roadhouse in Cincinnati (Milford, specifically). I never would have thought a relatively inexpensive chain steakhouse could be so good....

take a gander: http://www.texasroadhouse.com/menu02.html

Yeah, yeah...I'm sure all those 30-70 bucks-a-plate places have better steaks. No problem. But this was close and was 8 bucks....got to love the value.


TJ, My wife and I ate there this weekend. We were blown away, the steak, the ribs and the chicken were all excellent as were the sides. the fries and BBQ sauce were the 2 weak points, they were pretty good, but had that generic "chainy" feel to them, other than that it was fantastic and reasonably priced. This is one chain we will return to.

HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1069
  • Joined: 2006/01/18 16:52:00
  • Location: Schertz, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/10/05 11:03:23 (permalink)
Wanderingjew,Sam's Club is part of Walmart.They sell things at wholesale prices,like food,tires,electronics etc.They are like Costco. Do you have Costco in your area?
Wesleyman,nothing wrong with Texas RoadHouse.The one by the Regal Cinema in Live Oak is always packed. They have good food,and pretty reasonable. Never had a bad steak there at the one by me.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
  • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/10/05 11:09:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by HollyDolly

Wanderingjew,Sam's Club is part of Walmart.They sell things at wholesale prices,like food,tires,electronics etc.They are like Costco. Do you have Costco in your area?
Wesleyman,nothing wrong with Texas RoadHouse.The one by the Regal Cinema in Live Oak is always packed. They have good food,and pretty reasonable. Never had a bad steak there at the one by me.



I know, I was just being sarcastic. I can't stand it when someone inquires about where to find the best steakhouse, breakfast, burger, etc, and some bozo responds "My House!"
ptalley
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Joined: 2007/06/23 10:49:00
  • Location: Valrico, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/10/05 12:05:04 (permalink)
Steakhouse reviews are very subjective. Some people even rave about Outback. I can cook a steak at home that will rival most of the chains (Ruth Chris,, Shula's, Morton's etc). So when I eat a steak out, I want a real dining experience ie: quality, ambiance, wait staff, menu choices etc.

I've had the opportunity to eat at most every one of the big guys but here are my top 3 choices.
#3 Emeril's Delmonico. New Orleans and Las Vegas. Specially seasoned steaks, innovative sides and some of the most personable waiters and servers anywhere.
#2 Uncle Jack's, Manhattan. A newer entry in the New York steak house style that has it all. Top notch service, great meat (even Kobe beef ...at $100 ala carte!). As New York as you can get but better, across the board,in my opinion, than Peter Lugar's.
#1 Bern's Tampa. Hands down winner for me. I've eaten there probably 20 times and have never been disappointed. Heavy dry aged beef, may not be every ones choice but they do it right. Over 1,000,000 bottles of wine in their cellar...largest in the U.S. I think. Their waiters apprentice for 4 years before they can become waiters. They work at other jobs in the restaurant, on Bern's farm etc. Ver knowledgeable about their menu. You can tour the kitchen and the wine cellar. If you want fish they have a 10,000 gallon tank in the kitchen where you see your fish swimming 30 minutes before you eat him!
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1671
  • Joined: 2007/03/23 21:53:00
  • Location: washington, DC
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/10/05 12:25:04 (permalink)
Mexa Grill Filet.
JaSnake16
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Joined: 2004/07/04 11:44:00
  • Location: Brooklyn, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/10/15 17:29:40 (permalink)
My top 3:
1.) Peter Lugar, Brooklyn
2.) Emeril's Delmonico in the Venetian, LV
3.) Old Homestead in the Borgata A.C.
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
  • Joined: 2007/06/11 08:48:00
  • Location: Austin, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/12/27 10:36:56 (permalink)
Anyone familiar with Montana Mike's? There's one opening here in Georgetown Tx. I googled the menu and it looks pretty good but no prices.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
  • Joined: 2007/01/30 16:58:00
  • Location: Branchburg N.J.
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/12/27 10:55:15 (permalink)
Ive eaten at most of the great N.Y. steakhouses( Lugers, Smith and Wollensky, Palm, Bobby Van's, The Homestead, Ben Bensons, as well as Shulas, Micheal Jordans, Mortons, Ruth Chris, and Houstons but the @ best steaks and overall experiences ive had were:

1. Dylan's Prime in N.Y.

2. The Precinct in Cincy

They both were amazing for variuos reasons . I'll elaborate if anybody cares!!!:-)
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
  • Joined: 2006/09/08 07:12:00
  • Location: Miami, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2007/12/30 12:25:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dannybotz

Ive eaten at most of the great N.Y. steakhouses( Lugers, Smith and Wollensky, Palm, Bobby Van's, The Homestead, Ben Bensons, as well as Shulas, Micheal Jordans, Mortons, Ruth Chris, and Houstons but the @ best steaks and overall experiences ive had were:

1. Dylan's Prime in N.Y.

2. The Precinct in Cincy

They both were amazing for variuos reasons . I'll elaborate if anybody cares!!!:-)


Please do! I have family in NY, so I make it up there every once and a while.

Thanks.
Goobzilla
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
  • Joined: 2007/08/30 06:26:00
  • Location: Wellington, CO
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/01/07 08:13:33 (permalink)
I love good steakhouses! I love trying new ones out whenever I'm out of town. Some of my favorites are

Independents:
Downtown Ringside Portland
Metropolitan Grill Seattle
Charley's Orlando

Chains:
Mortons
Don Shula's
Ruth's Chris


wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4611
  • Joined: 2003/07/13 22:24:00
  • Location: Northampton, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/01/07 11:27:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Goobzilla

I love good steakhouses! I love trying new ones out whenever I'm out of town. Some of my favorites are

Independents:
Downtown Ringside Portland
Metropolitan Grill Seattle
Charley's Orlando

Chains:
Mortons
Don Shula's
Ruth's Chris



Sorry, but Charley's goes in the Chains category.

I went there once or twice ... never thought it was that great (or worth the money) and their wine pour was minuscule.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3755
  • Joined: 2003/03/25 02:02:00
  • Location: Central FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/01/07 12:49:34 (permalink)
Charley's is probably in that grey area of restaurants that may or may not be considered part of a chain by some. We probably need some highly educated authority on this matter, like TJ Jackson to help decipher...but, here is the scoop.

Charley's has four locations; three of which are in the Orlando area and one in Tampa. For me, that puts into the very regional category - much like the well-regarded Columbia Restaurant.

However, Charley's is owned by a[url='http://www.talkofthetownrestaurants.com/tott_home.html']restaurant group[/url] that has other brands located throughout (primarily) central Florida.

I have been to Charley's numerous times and I think it is better than average for a prime steak. However, Vito's on I-Drive is one of my favorite upscale restaurants in Orlando.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4611
  • Joined: 2003/07/13 22:24:00
  • Location: Northampton, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/01/07 14:16:02 (permalink)
Maybe a unit of measure is how corporate a group of restaurants gets ...

Charley's is certainly that.

I agree that Vito's is a better bet.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15276
  • Joined: 2002/08/20 22:32:00
  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/01/07 15:13:16 (permalink)
Your description of Charley's brought about a chuckle or two as I remembered a small group (3 or 4) restaurants in central New Jersey.. Charlies, Charlies Brother, Charlies other Brother (Mt.Holly), Charlies Uncle, and I think there was another "Charleys other Uncle" if my memory serves. Either the original or the first "Brother" was in Kendall Park, We used to go to the Mt Holly location now and then. I often thought this was a good way to keep the family control on a series of related restaurants.. Sort of like many of the Greek Diners were linked.

My time in New Jersey was back in the mid-70's so these names may be long forgotten. They did serve a pretty good steak, somewhat like the "Roadhouse" sort of Steak-chain is today.
andydeahl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Joined: 2007/09/27 15:06:00
  • Location: simsbury, CT
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/01/07 15:47:49 (permalink)
Vic Stewarts, Walnut Creek CA
Outstanding.

Also, if you reserve it early you can get a private dining room for 2,4 or up to 20 in the attached rail car.
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1030
  • Joined: 2004/01/13 15:02:00
  • Location: Plano, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/01/07 16:10:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by andydeahl

Vic Stewarts, Walnut Creek CA
Outstanding.

Also, if you reserve it early you can get a private dining room for 2,4 or up to 20 in the attached rail car.


Vic Stewarts has some very good in the bar only sandwiches that are very good deals (the last I knew).
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4583
  • Joined: 2003/07/26 22:24:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/01/07 17:01:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

We probably need some highly educated authority on this matter, like TJ Jackson to help decipher

Naa......I no longer think of this as something to butt heads over, Stevekoe, tho I do still believe a chain can produce quality roadfood - and in fact, some do.
Frankman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 300
  • Joined: 2002/09/21 22:21:00
  • Location: Beacon Falls, CT
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/01/07 17:16:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big George

I continue to be amazed at the culinary knowledge of the popsters at Roadfood.com. Im sure many of you have a favorite steak house. How about it. Thanks

I had to give up eating beef many years ago, however I did get to Peter Luger's. The steak was really fantastic. I even remember how good the tomato and onion salad was all these years later.
Goobzilla
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
  • Joined: 2007/08/30 06:26:00
  • Location: Wellington, CO
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/01/07 18:39:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

quote:
Originally posted by Goobzilla

I love good steakhouses! I love trying new ones out whenever I'm out of town. Some of my favorites are

Independents:
Downtown Ringside Portland
Metropolitan Grill Seattle
Charley's Orlando

Chains:
Mortons
Don Shula's
Ruth's Chris



Sorry, but Charley's goes in the Chains category.

I went there once or twice ... never thought it was that great (or worth the money) and their wine pour was minuscule.


Well, I haven't eaten there since 1990 but I think it was the only one at that time. It was on the OBT and it was fantastic. Granted I was 20 and thousands of miles from home, but I liked to eat there once a month if I could afford it. Usually I found a way
SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1089
  • Joined: 2005/10/27 11:52:00
  • Location: Huntsville, AL
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/01/08 10:58:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by HollyDolly

Wanderingjew,Sam's Club is part of Walmart.They sell things at wholesale prices,like food,tires,electronics etc.They are like Costco. Do you have Costco in your area?
Wesleyman,nothing wrong with Texas RoadHouse.The one by the Regal Cinema in Live Oak is always packed. They have good food,and pretty reasonable. Never had a bad steak there at the one by me.



I know, I was just being sarcastic. I can't stand it when someone inquires about where to find the best steakhouse, breakfast, burger, etc, and some bozo responds "My House!"

Me too.
denniscmcgrath
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2008/06/03 15:14:00
  • Location: Trenton, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/06/03 15:23:20 (permalink)
quote:
Your description of Charley's brought about a chuckle or two as I remembered a small group (3 or 4) restaurants in central New Jersey.. Charlies, Charlies Brother, Charlies other Brother (Mt.Holly), Charlies Uncle, and I think there was another "Charleys other Uncle" if my memory serves. Either the original or the first "Brother" was in Kendall Park ...


The original Charlie's Uncle was in Kingston, which is close enough to Kendall Park. Charlie's Brother was on 518 in Hopewell. There was one way up in northern Somerset county in Watchung or thereabouts. All of them but the original stand in Kingston are now closed; and that one is really a Beefsteak Charlie's but they kept the Charlie's Uncles name. Good, not great, steak.

Great steak? Del Frisco's in Dallas ...
yamahafjr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Joined: 2008/06/27 09:16:00
  • Location: Newport Beach, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/06/27 10:37:33 (permalink)
Del Frisco's in Las Vegas is at the top of my list...Flemings Prime is also one of the finest steaks I've had. 3rd would be Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian Churrascuria--skip most of the cuts and get nonstop "picahna"--their delectable boneless ribeye cut.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/06/27 10:50:55 (permalink)
I have been to many Steak Houses in my life and the two best have been at:

The Lark in Michigan
http://www.thelark.com/

X O Prime Steaks in Cleveland Ohio
http://xoprimesteaks.com/cleveland_steakhouse_home/

These are outside of New York
If you are headed there you already know where to go....Russ
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
  • Joined: 2007/06/11 08:48:00
  • Location: Austin, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Great Steakhouses 2008/06/27 11:12:22 (permalink)
Fogo de Chao Austin Tx.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1