Great Steakhouses

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 13
Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2888
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/08/29 04:59:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BonneyStudios

Just thought of another great steakhouse, in the most traditional manner. It's the Smokehouse in Toluca Lake, CA across the street from the Burbank Studios. The steaks are thick, juicy and rare. The Garlic Bread is worth a trip by itself and has been praised by both Johnny Carson and Jay Leno. The Sunday brunch a is fantastic spread. If you're ever in this area, treat yourself to dinner or brunch here.

I just saw the cool sign last weekend and decided I had to try it next time I'm going out to dinner. Looks great!
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2320
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/08/29 06:16:01 (permalink)
In Decatur, Indiana, there is (or was) a wonderful steakhouse called My Father's Place. Besides the great beef, they also mix an excellent Bloody Mary.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/09/10 16:49:53 (permalink)
Twice a year, a friend and I venture out to a local, top notch Washington, D.C. area steakhouse for some prime beef at lunch. We limit ourselves to two times a year in deference to our arteries and to our wallets (since these indulgences set us back about $50 per person per meal). My favorite dining experiences during these excursions have been (in no particular order) (i) having the New York Strip at The Palm; (ii) having the porterhouse at Morton's of Chicago; and (iii) having a bone-in ribeye at Ruth's Chris Steak House. In addition to cost, these places have had several things in common: (i) absolutely first rate, USDA top prime steaks cooked exactly as ordered; (ii) excellent sides, such as creamed spinach, hash browned and baked potatoes, asparagus and fresh-baked rolls; and (iii) portions of both meat and sides sufficient to feed a small family. Top steak houses aren't cheap, but in my experience, you more than get what you pay for. My favorite bargain steak house is Hoss' Steak and Seafood Restaurant, a small chain of establishments located mostly in Pennsylvania, with one restaurant in Martinsburg, West Virginia (the one that I go to).Although the meat (USDA Choice)isn't quite of the quality served at the expensive staek houses, it's always been tender and well-prepared. Also you can get a 28 ounce porterhouse steak there for about $19 (the last time I checked) as opposed to $30 to $35 for a similar cut at Morton's.
fummunda
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/09/12 23:54:36 (permalink)
Here's another vote solidly in favor of the Golden Ox in my adoptive hometown of Kansas City. It's got urban cowboy ambience, but it's GENUINE and predates that whole megilla by decades. Totally no-nonsense great steak, and even though the stockyards are gone the area still has vestiges of it's halcyon cowtown days.

On the other end of things, this may be controversial, but I have a nostalgic fondness for Frank Giuffrida's Hilltop Steakhouse in Saugus, Mass. It's not the best steakhouse that's ever come down the pike (the Newburyport Turnpike to be precise), but everything about it is B I G, from the squat 1960's style plastic cattle grazing on the strip of lawn out front to the gargantuan Las Vegas-style neon cactus sign, Hilltop just screams "EAT HERE". The place has a huge capacity, not sure of exact number but I bet 2000-2500 hungry carnivores can be seated at one time. So while it may not rank with Peter Luger's, Bern's or the Golden Ox, Hilltop makes my list.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/09/17 22:45:15 (permalink)
LUGER'S UPDATE!

Just got back from eating at Peter Luger's, which I hadn't done for several months. As always, I enjoyed it tremendously.

The meal progressed as follows (bear in mind there were five of us):

First of all, we never, ever ask for or order from a menu. That's definitely a sign that you're a Luger's virgin

We started off with some shrimp, as well as tomatos and onions. I don't know how they always manage to serve such large and juicy tomatoes regardless of the time of year.

We ordered steak for three and lamb for three as main courses. The steak is a porterhouse that comes sliced on a large platter, the edge of which is rested on an inverted coffee-cup saucer. This allows the juices to flow to the opposite side, making it easier for the waiter to spoon it up and serve it with your meat (the waiters fill your plate for your first course.) I prefer my meat a little better done than the rest of the guys, so I let my pieces cook for several additional seconds on the edge of the sizzling-hot platter. Tender and delicious, as always.

I'm not much of a lamb eater, so I left that to the others. They enjoyed it, although all preferred the steak (our one friend who always prefers the lamb wasn't able to join us tonight.)

For sides, we had creamed spinach, hash brown potatoes and, for our first time after perhaps 25 trips to Luger's, Canadian Bacon (at my request). All were great complements to our meal, although the bacon's a bit salty for my taste. It's appropriately salty -- just more so than I prefer.

The desserts are great, but the real reason we order them is to get to the "schlag" -- i.e., the whipped cream. As "transport food" for that whipped cream, we ordered one slice each of cheesecake, apple pie and pecan pie. The pecan pie, which isn't my favorite thing, is fantastic. The cheesecake is very good. The apple pie doesn't really do it for me, but it's certainly not bad. My one friend doesn't like apple pie, but loves theirs. So, as with anything, it's all a matter of taste. We pocketed the complimentary chocolate-gold coins at the end of our meal, and headed home.

I hope this brought the Luger's experience slightly to life, even though I didn't take time to note the environment (essentially unchanged from 1887, it would seem), or the waiter (remarkably pleasant and accommodating for a Luger's waiter.) On a final note, I was the one in the group to recognize the famous diner at the next table: Brian Setzer of the Brian Setzer Orchestra (formerly of the Stray Cats). Maybe he'll write in next....
spadoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/09/25 15:27:33 (permalink)
Heitmiller's Steak House. On I-35 either a little North or South of Austin Texas, (Texans, help me out here, it's been a while since i been down there) Great steaks, no frills, step up and order, get a great meal!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/09/25 17:02:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by spadoman

Heitmiller's Steak House. On I-35 either a little North or South of Austin Texas, (Texans, help me out here, it's been a while since i been down there) Great steaks, no frills, step up and order, get a great meal!

spadoman, that's near Waco (which would be north of Austin, of course). I've driven by that place a million times, but it never grabbed me. Since you recommend it, I'll make a point to stop there.
spadoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/09/25 17:11:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by spadoman

spadoman, that's near Waco (which would be north of Austin, of course). I've driven by that place a million times, but it never grabbed me. Since you recommend it, I'll make a point to stop there.

Bushie---I was on my way to Pharr some years ago and it was dinnertime. My pardner and me saw these steak joints all along the frontage road here and there. We pulled in cause we saw all the pickup trucks and we weren't dressed in our midwest finery. Up North here in Minnesota, steak houses are fancy places! Anyway, we went in and ordered up sirloins to our desired poundage and went and sat down. I just remember getting a great straightforward steak dinner while not having to dress up and be fancy!
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/04 14:56:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

My list includes: Peter Luger in Brooklyn, Sparks in Manhattan, The Saloon in Philly, and The Prime Rib and Capitol Grill in Washington, D.C.

I just ate at the Prime Rib in Washington, DC on Wednesday. It was great. I had the bone-in ribeye steak, which was superb (and huge!), sauteed spinach, warm, house-baked bread and house-made apple pie-a-la-mode. I also want to eat at Peter Luger's, and have actually seriously considered driving up to New York from DC just to do so. What I will probably do at some point, however, is to drop our kids off at my parents' house and go to NYC for a weekend with my wife. We'll take in a Broadway show, and afterwards, I'll tell her "Hey honey, there's this restaurant I've heard of . . ."
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/04 16:15:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

My list includes: Peter Luger in Brooklyn, Sparks in Manhattan, The Saloon in Philly, and The Prime Rib and Capitol Grill in Washington, D.C.

I just ate at the Prime Rib in Washington, DC on Wednesday. It was great. I had the bone-in ribeye steak, which was superb (and huge!), sauteed spinach, warm, house-baked bread and house-made apple pie-a-la-mode. I also want to eat at Peter Luger's, and have actually seriously considered driving up to New York just to do so. What I will probably do at some point, however, is to drop our kids off at my parents' house and go to NYC for a weekend with my wife. We'll take in a Broadway show, and afterwards, I'll tell her "Hey honey, there's this restaurant I've heard of . . ."

Surprising your wife with a meal at Luger's is great, but do yourself a favor and don't make it truly spontaneous: make a reservation a month or so in advance....or go for lunch.
IndyRoadfoodFan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/04 17:23:41 (permalink)
One of my all time favorite places here in Indy, is St. Elmo's Steakhouse. They have been in business since 1902. They have fantastic prime steaks. They are just as famous for there giant shrimp cocktail, the cocktail sauce will bring tears to your eyes, I guarantee. Check out there website... http://www.stelmos.com
I ate years ago at the original Hereford House in Kansas City, on my way back from Texas, it is a very fine steakhouse too... check there website... http://www.herefordhouse.com
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/04 18:54:51 (permalink)
I have been to the Hereford House many times and one of the things that I enjoyed was the kitchen in the entrance. You could watch the steaks being cooked and I enjoyed the salad there also.

St. Elmo's in Indy was too crowded and the tables were way to close. There was no privacy. Their steaks were OK, but the ambience sucked.

Hereford House was huge and did the job for the Sundancer

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/05 03:39:26 (permalink)
The Prime Rib in Baltimore is owned by the same folks that own the Prime Rib in DC and Philly.I cannot go there often,usually I go there around Christmastime as a gift to my wife and myself,as a full blown meal for 2 with drinks and tip will approach 2 bills.Sometimes I have been lucky enough to get a gift certificate.In my small world,its the best restaurant there is.The waiters are just so good,the steaks and prime rib are perfect,the ambiance (leopard skin carpet,transparent piano!) so ostentatious and proud of it.If I could afford it I would make it "my hangout".But since I am not Bill Gates I will enjoy it when I can.
Now i have only been to the Ruth's Chris one time,and was disappointed.It was the one in Pikesville (maybe Reisterstown,not real sure about that area) and despite the lovely room,the NY strip steak was gristly and oddly cut,the service was slapdash,the way a lot of cheap restaurants are nowadays where whatever waiter is available brings your food,yes i know thats so it gets there faster but its still a cheapo way of doing it and good waiters can do it correctly.The waiters seemed to have an attitude like they didnt think i would tip them right,just a gut feeling.They didnt recite the specials and didnt offer dessert and just generally acted like I was an intrusion.Theres no need for that when you are paying 40 dollars for a steak.
When you find a top notch steak house,treasure it.The smile it will put on your face will linger long.You will go back.They know it.They dont have to advertise.They are always fully booked with folks who walk in smiling and walk out the same way.Hell yes it costs way too much.But its worth it.
Bill
Georgetown,Delaware
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/20 09:02:36 (permalink)
One place that somehow has escaped mention is Bobby Van's (www.bobbyvans.com) both in New York and in Washington, D.C. All four locations specialized in aged beef (a la Peter Luger's). I've been to the D.C. locale numerous times and it is superb.
Stewdude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/23 20:25:31 (permalink)
Peter Luger's is unquestioanbly awesome, however, Uncle Jacks in Bayside Queens with a location under construction on the West side of Manhattan edges it out. Fabulous steaks and crab cakes.
ericm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/29 01:41:31 (permalink)
The Precinct. Cincinnati, OH.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/29 18:45:29 (permalink)
I kinda figured all of Ruby's restaurants more or less had the same quality of steak.....but I guess the Precinct is the oldest in operation of the set, right?

I did eat there once about 15 years ago and wasn't too impressed with the steak, particularly for the price....
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/29 21:10:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

LUGER'S UPDATE!

<snip>

I hope this brought the Luger's experience slightly to life, even though I didn't take time to note the environment (essentially unchanged from 1887, it would seem), or the waiter (remarkably pleasant and accommodating for a Luger's waiter.)

My father is a "member". They have cards they issue. I'm not sure what that gets you, but whatever. Whenever my dad gets up to New York (he grew up in northern NJ and his family's from Brooklyn originally) he goes to Peter Luger's. I've yet to make it. We were supposed to go to New York two years ago, but our trip was cancelled. We had reservations at Windows on the World and a nearby hotel for the weekend of September 22nd. Dad was in Windows on the World to make the reservations on Sunday September 9th. For weeks he dreamed about the staff he remembered. We'd probably have made it to the steakhouse during the trip, but it's been postponed. . .

In any event, the number on Dad's card is so low the staff go bug-eyed when he brings it out. Dad always gets a table.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/29 22:07:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jennie

quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

LUGER'S UPDATE!

<snip>

I hope this brought the Luger's experience slightly to life, even though I didn't take time to note the environment (essentially unchanged from 1887, it would seem), or the waiter (remarkably pleasant and accommodating for a Luger's waiter.)

My father is a "member". They have cards they issue. I'm not sure what that gets you, but whatever. Whenever my dad gets up to New York (he grew up in northern NJ and his family's from Brooklyn originally) he goes to Peter Luger's. I've yet to make it. We were supposed to go to New York two years ago, but our trip was cancelled. We had reservations at Windows on the World and a nearby hotel for the weekend of September 22nd. Dad was in Windows on the World to make the reservations on Sunday September 9th. For weeks he dreamed about the staff he remembered. We'd probably have made it to the steakhouse during the trip, but it's been postponed. . .

In any event, the number on Dad's card is so low the staff go bug-eyed when he brings it out. Dad always gets a table.

Pretty impressive. A Luger's card allows you to charge your meal; otherwise, it's strictly a cash transaction. I was there once again after my Luger's post, for lunch, and again the waiter was really nice. Not sure what kind of monkey business is going on there...
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/29 22:30:14 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Y'all have done made me miss the old funky Pilgreen's Steak House on Lee Street in Atlanta so much it ain't funny.
Next time thereby, I'll see what's transpiring with the location. Maybe there'll be a barbecue place or something decent to go in there... who knows.
Unhungrily (In Spite Of Reading Post After Post On This Thread - Proving That I'm Psyched Up To Lose My 35 Pounds!), Slowly Shrinking Ort. Carlton in Ever-Expanding Athens, Georgia.
ericm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/10/30 00:03:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I kinda figured all of Ruby's restaurants more or less had the same quality of steak.....but I guess the Precinct is the oldest in operation of the set, right?

I did eat there once about 15 years ago and wasn't too impressed with the steak, particularly for the price....

They went through a bad period, no doubt about it and you sound like you were at the front end of it. If you have a reason, I'd give them a try again for that "special occasion."

I think the Precinct is much better than any of his other places. I haven't made it to Tropicana yet, but I've eaten at all the others and The Precinct remains my favorite. One word of warning, "market price" on seafood, especially something like King Crab legs, can lead to quite a shock once the bill arrives unless you are quick with numbers.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/11/20 20:53:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mek

chezkatie,
Next time you are in the Prime Rib, say hello to my brother (John). He has rtended bar there for years. He also buys their wines and booze.

Just ate there last week. Had a great bottle of wine, which was recommended by the bartender -- please pass along my compliments. Had the prime rib steak, which was good, but I wasn't feeling too well that night ....
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/11/20 21:02:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Stewdude

Peter Luger's is unquestioanbly awesome, however, Uncle Jacks in Bayside Queens with a location under construction on the West side of Manhattan edges it out. Fabulous steaks and crab cakes.

what makes it better? quality? price? atmosphere? i too have been considering a road trip to NY from DC to go to PL ....
Stewdude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Great Steakhouses 2003/11/24 22:20:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

quote:
Originally posted by Stewdude

what makes it better? quality? price? atmosphere? i too have been considering a road trip to NY from DC to go to PL ....

Uncle Jacks is smaller, homier and definitely friendlier (but of course, the surly Brooklyn waiter is part of the Luger attraction). No bargain on meat prices here..the prices are the same as at the major steakhouses. The meat is well aged and marinated and the UNcle Jacks marinade (bourbon based) is a winner. There is more of a variety of cuts at Uncle Jacks but of course there is something about the Luger menu..steak for one, steak for two, steak for three, which is oh so elegant in its simplicity!
spweimerskirch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/01/24 17:53:55 (permalink)
Steak Lover's,
Having been in the business and a huge consumer here are a few different selections off the beaten path if you're in the 'hood give them a try.

Choices:
1. Luger's ( We all know it's awesome),
2. Chicago Chophouse (Timeless),
3. Bern's, Tampa (I Love it),
4. Gibson's, The downtown location only in Chicago),
5. Pine Club, Dayton, Ohio (Trust me),
6. The Forge, Miami (Great service),
7. Morton's, The original location State St. Chicago (Ask for Raki),
8. 9, Chicago ( The Ghost Bar upstairs is the reason and the crab/steak combo is awesome),

Could go on and on but I think these places are all timeless.

Thanks,
S
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/01/24 22:02:15 (permalink)
I rarely go out for steak. I’d just as soon cook my own, thanks.
But I did like Taste of Texas quite a bit. It’s on the west side of Houston on I-10 near the Sam Houston Tollway.
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/01/25 21:35:46 (permalink)
When I go eat steak, I go to eat steak and not a lot of fixin’s. Charm has no taste to me.
But then, a good salad or baked potato is not hard to do at home, either.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/01/25 22:52:42 (permalink)
I've really enjoyed this forum and have taken quite a few notes. It was a surprise to realize that I rarely hit steak houses anymore, and I love great steak. Well, I'm going to remedy that this year.

I join those who think highly of Angus Barn in Raleigh, N.C. It's a genuine pleasure to eat there.
dszewczak
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/02/01 09:19:57 (permalink)
If you are ever in the Chicago area you should try Bob Chinn's. They have a 14oz filet that is awesome. The cocktail shrimp are HUGE and come with a very nice mild to hot cocktail sauce. The shrimp are served with sliced cantaloupe and the instructions to take a bite of shrimp and then a bite of the cantaloupe. It doesn't sound that good but it really is. The place seats a ton of people. You can see more of the menu at bobchinns.com. I've only been to the Chicago area five times and I've made it there every time. Never disappointed.
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/02/08 22:24:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRoadfoodFan

One of my all time favorite places here in Indy, is St. Elmo's Steakhouse. They have been in business since 1902. They have fantastic prime steaks. They are just as famous for there giant shrimp cocktail, the cocktail sauce will bring tears to your eyes, I guarantee. Check out there website... http://www.stelmos.com
I ate years ago at the original Hereford House in Kansas City, on my way back from Texas, it is a very fine steakhouse too... check there website... http://www.herefordhouse.com

I agree. St Elmo's cocktail sauce will definitely bring a grown man to his knees. I lived in LA back in the 80s and use to go to a steakhouse called the Pepper Mill in Pasadena which I loved. Their peppercorn encrusted steak is my all time favorite steak dinner. I wonder if they are still around?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1