The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Great Steakhouses

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 13, messages 121 to 150 of 364
Howard Baratz

• Total Posts: 445
RE: Great Steakhouses Thu, 04/22/04 3:24 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

Tried Wolfgang's last night, a new steak house in Manhattan owned/operated by a former Peter Luger's waiter.

Like many people who've written here, I'm a big, big fan of Peter Luger's.

I might, just might, like Wolfgang's better. And two of the other five guys I was with said the same thing. The others are holding out until we make a return visit to Luger's next month.

Wolfgang's is clearly inspired by Luger's. The menu is essentially the same (although, unlike Luger's, I actually saw a menu. I've been to Luger's 20 times, easily, and have never seen a menu. Nor asked for one.) The steak is served the same way: sliced porterhouse on a sizzling hot plate. Juicy pieces of lamb that were comparable to Luger's. The German potatoes, shrimp, tomato and onion...all exactly the same. We had cheesecake, pecan pie and chocolate mousse cake for dessert. All similar to Luger's, but the pecan pie was even better -- and I don't even like pecan pie. All of these, of course, were accompanied by a big bowl of whipped cream (schlag).

Why do I think I might prefer Wolfgang's? Both the steak and lamb were the slightest bit tastier to me. The desserts were better. The creamed spinach was a little less heavy. And, while no one has ever ordered a salad in the history of my boys-nights out, I saw other tables with salads that looked clearly superior to those of Luger's. And, finally, while we also didn't order this, they offer a seafood-tower appetizer that looked incredible.

What's different from Luger's? The place is new, for one thing, with sloped ceilings a la Grand Central Station (if anyone here has ever been to Guastavino's in NYC, the architect is the same.) As a result, it is INCREDIBLY LOUD. The six of us at a round table had trouble communicating, and my throat is sore today. The waiters are certainly a bit more jovial than at Luger's, but I've never had a problem with the Luger waiters.

In the end, Luger's is Luger's. It has tradition on its side. It was first as far as its kind of steak house in the NY area. But Wolfgang's is very, very comparable. And, lazy as I can be, it was nice that I didn't have to go out to Brooklyn. Of course, someone in Brooklyn might say the same thing about not having to come out to Manhattan to go to Wolfgang's.

Phil:

Does Wolfgang's accept credit cards? The fact that Luger's doesn't has been problematic at times.

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
    RE: Great Steakhouses Thu, 04/22/04 3:36 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Howard Baratz

quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

Tried Wolfgang's last night, a new steak house in Manhattan owned/operated by a former Peter Luger's waiter.

Like many people who've written here, I'm a big, big fan of Peter Luger's.

I might, just might, like Wolfgang's better. And two of the other five guys I was with said the same thing. The others are holding out until we make a return visit to Luger's next month.

Wolfgang's is clearly inspired by Luger's. The menu is essentially the same (although, unlike Luger's, I actually saw a menu. I've been to Luger's 20 times, easily, and have never seen a menu. Nor asked for one.) The steak is served the same way: sliced porterhouse on a sizzling hot plate. Juicy pieces of lamb that were comparable to Luger's. The German potatoes, shrimp, tomato and onion...all exactly the same. We had cheesecake, pecan pie and chocolate mousse cake for dessert. All similar to Luger's, but the pecan pie was even better -- and I don't even like pecan pie. All of these, of course, were accompanied by a big bowl of whipped cream (schlag).

Why do I think I might prefer Wolfgang's? Both the steak and lamb were the slightest bit tastier to me. The desserts were better. The creamed spinach was a little less heavy. And, while no one has ever ordered a salad in the history of my boys-nights out, I saw other tables with salads that looked clearly superior to those of Luger's. And, finally, while we also didn't order this, they offer a seafood-tower appetizer that looked incredible.

What's different from Luger's? The place is new, for one thing, with sloped ceilings a la Grand Central Station (if anyone here has ever been to Guastavino's in NYC, the architect is the same.) As a result, it is INCREDIBLY LOUD. The six of us at a round table had trouble communicating, and my throat is sore today. The waiters are certainly a bit more jovial than at Luger's, but I've never had a problem with the Luger waiters.

In the end, Luger's is Luger's. It has tradition on its side. It was first as far as its kind of steak house in the NY area. But Wolfgang's is very, very comparable. And, lazy as I can be, it was nice that I didn't have to go out to Brooklyn. Of course, someone in Brooklyn might say the same thing about not having to come out to Manhattan to go to Wolfgang's.

Phil:

Does Wolfgang's accept credit cards? The fact that Luger's doesn't has been problematic at times.

Huge oversight on my part: Yes, Wolfgang's DOES accept credit cards. No "Wolfgang's Card" necessary.

Rogey88

• Total Posts: 3
      RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 05/10/04 9:02 PM (permalink)
      I have eaten Ruth chris, Mortons, Lawreys, But by the far the best steak house i have been to is Charleys Steak House In orlando, Its ranked 3rd in the nation, Mortons and Ruths chris are not in the top 10 even though they are very good.

Spudnut

RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 05/10/04 10:58 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Rogey88

I have eaten Ruth chris, Mortons, Lawreys, But by the far the best steak house i have been to is Charleys Steak House In orlando, Its ranked 3rd in the nation, Mortons and Ruths chris are not in the top 10 even though they are very good.

Ranked by whom?

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
          RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 05/11/04 12:06 AM (permalink)
          Peter Luger's is the best that I've experienced. I look forward to Gibson's and Gene&Georgetti's in Chicago this summer.
          When in Scottsdale, try Mastro's www.mastrossteakhouse.com
          and Don&Charlies www.azeats.com/DonAndCharlies/

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
            RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 05/11/04 4:36 PM (permalink)
            I just saw a small review on FoodNetwork regarding "Chisholm's" in Texas and was wondering what one might think of their steaks. They looked good enough but never touched a grill. Simply seared on the steove top with a dry rub of brown sugar, salt, coarse ground pepper(not really suggested for home without EXCELLENT ventilation)then finished off in the oven until desired doneness. Has anyone eaten there? I know we have Texans on board!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
              RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 05/11/04 6:53 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Rusty246

I just saw a small review on FoodNetwork regarding "Chisholm's" in Texas and was wondering what one might think of their steaks. They looked good enough but never touched a grill. Simply seared on the steove top with a dry rub of brown sugar, salt, coarse ground pepper(not really suggested for home without EXCELLENT ventilation)then finished off in the oven until desired doneness. Has anyone eaten there? I know we have Texans on board!

Rusty (congrats on his win a few weeks ago ), I'm not familiar with this place. Do you know what town it's in??

Of course, we Texans are very humble and would NEVER think of "tooting our own horns", so even if it's the best place in the world, you'd never hear us bring it up!

I'm curious, so please pass on any info you have.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                RE: Great Steakhouses Wed, 05/12/04 10:55 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
                Originally posted by Rusty246

Rusty (congrats on his win a few weeks ago ), I'm not familiar with this place. Do you know what town it's in??

Of course, we Texans are very humble and would NEVER think of "tooting our own horns", so even if it's the best place in the world, you'd never hear us bring it up!

I'm curious, so please pass on any info you have.

Thanks Bushie on the congrats!

The correct title of the restaurant is "Chisholm Club" which is located in Fort Worth. The chef there is Grady Spears.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                  RE: Great Steakhouses Wed, 05/12/04 11:01 AM (permalink)
                  Well, I've certainly heard of Grady Spears!

Looks like a great place, Rusty. Thanks.

http://www.thechisholmclub.com/

snoby

• Total Posts: 23
                    RE: Great Steakhouses Wed, 05/12/04 12:30 PM (permalink)
                    The best steak I ever had and keep going back to is Jocko's in Nipomo, Calif. 10 miles north of Santa Maria, Calif. They cook their extra thick steaks over a big Pacific Oak wood pit. It's better than the Hitching Post in Casmalia, or The Far Western in Guatalupe which are close by. I make that long drive from Las Vegas, NV for the weekend. I'm in Little Rock, AR now and will have dinner at Does tonight. I'ts very good.

steveindurham

• Total Posts: 138
                      RE: Great Steakhouses Wed, 07/7/04 4:42 PM (permalink)
                      My favorites in order:

1. Peter Luger's (Brooklyn)
                      2. Doe's Eat Place (Greenville, MS)
                      3. McKendrick Steak House (Atlanta)
                      4. Shula's (Baltimore)
                      5. Angus Barn (Raleigh, NC)
                      6. Morton's (suburban Chicago)

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                        RE: Great Steakhouses Wed, 07/7/04 5:07 PM (permalink)
                        Doe's Eat Place? Although I've never been, there's one in Columbus, Ohio. I didn't know it was a chain.

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                          RE: Great Steakhouses Wed, 07/7/04 5:08 PM (permalink)
                          I never really understood what all the fuss is about Bern's. I find the place unnerving. All that scary rococo, and such a lot of fuss over a $40 slab of meat and some ticky-tacky (my opinion here, folks!) desserts. I'm not saying the food is sub-par at all, it's just the atmosphere basically ain't my bag, baby!
                          (-Kristi S., waiting to be hit at with a t-bone)

steveindurham

RE: Great Steakhouses Wed, 07/7/04 5:14 PM (permalink)
                            I didn't realize Doe's was a chain. I have only been to the original Doe's in Greenville. MS.

Another great steak house that is anything but fancy is Coerper's in Milwaukee.

Bill B.

• Total Posts: 322
                              RE: Great Steakhouses Wed, 07/7/04 6:09 PM (permalink)
                              I know of three: the one in Mississippi, the one near Little Rock and the one in Fayetteville, Ark. (I've eaten at that one, and it is really, really good.) But apparently the concept is now available as a franchise. There's a Web site under development and an 800 number for franchise information.

Coming soon, to a strip mall near you.

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                                RE: Great Steakhouses Wed, 07/7/04 7:07 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by Spudnut

I'm a NYC guy, but I'll resist the urge to list nothing but NYC steak places.

Have you ever been to a steakhouse in Briarcliff NY (right by the Tappan Zee) called "Flames" - we have been meaning to go there, but just have not had the opportunity. I read about it on some website...I'll have to find it again....ok...here it is:

http://www.hosstyle.com/steakhouse/Flames_steakhouse.htm

Just curious.....if not we'll have to go and do our own roadfood review!

By the way...thanks to everyone for helping to make our Maine Vacation sooooo wonderful. We have "details" and a pic or two from the carnage at Young's Lobster pound. Still unpacking though...details to follow!!

rigoleto

• Total Posts: 15
                                  RE: Great Steakhouses Sun, 07/11/04 4:35 AM (permalink)
                                  Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. After that, any other joint in Argentina will do (I'm not kidding!).

steveindurham

RE: Great Steakhouses Sun, 07/25/04 6:56 AM (permalink)
                                    Michael Hoffman - read Stern's review about the Grennville, MS Doe's.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                      RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 07/26/04 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                      Hello all,

I have to go with Arthurs Steakhouse in Hoboken . Get the 48 ounce if you can handle it .
                                      Also a place by me is Schlesingers Steakhouse in New Windsor NY about an hour north of the city.
                                      I have enjoyed Ruths Chris in Arlington VA overlooking Reagan Airport and the sites in DC , until I got the bill that is . Ha Ha.
                                      Mortons of Chicago was also a favorite of mine when we visited Chicago.
                                      And of course for the hometown favorite , nothing tops Peter Lugers in Brooklyn.
                                      Benzee

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
                                        RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 07/26/04 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Kristi S.

I never really understood what all the fuss is about Bern's. I find the place unnerving. All that scary rococo, and such a lot of fuss over a $40 slab of meat and some ticky-tacky (my opinion here, folks!) desserts. I'm not saying the food is sub-par at all, it's just the atmosphere basically ain't my bag, baby!

(-Kristi S., waiting to be hit at with a t-bone)

For some reason, people that live in the area downtalk Bern Steakhouse. We have friend that never went there because their Tampa friends were always "badmouthing" it. We got them to go and they could not believe how great it was. We have taken many people there and they have always loved it.............as far as desserts go, I think that they are superb. The wonderful cognacs and other after dinner drinks are wonderful and I think that the ice cream dessert with the freshly ground coffee in it is one of the most simple but wonderful desserts I have ever had...............no tacky here!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                          RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 07/27/04 12:49 AM (permalink)
                                          I have enjoyed Bern's many times. While never cheap, it offered tremendous value with the salad, soup and veggies on the plate. Now that Bern passed away the prices have increased significantly and it is no longer the great value that it was.

I have been told many times that Charley's on Cypress in Tampa is better than Bern's. I had always passed and gone to Bern's, but I think on my next visit to Tampa I will give it a try. Anyone with firsthand experience there?

Wholebelly

• Total Posts: 23
                                            RE: Great Steakhouses Thu, 07/29/04 4:27 PM (permalink)
                                            Has anyone been to Manero's in Greenwich, Connecticut lately? I've not been in years, but it was always tops in my book. They even have a butcher shop where you can by Prime cuts.

http://www.maneros-greenwichct.com/

Spudnut

RE: Great Steakhouses Thu, 07/29/04 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by signman

I have enjoyed Bern's many times. While never cheap, it offered tremendous value with the salad, soup and veggies on the plate. Now that Bern passed away the prices have increased significantly and it is no longer the great value that it was.

I have been told many times that Charley's on Cypress in Tampa is better than Bern's. I had always passed and gone to Bern's, but I think on my next visit to Tampa I will give it a try. Anyone with firsthand experience there?

Does anyone (Kristi?) have any input on Malio's? I know George Steinbrenner eats there, which might be enough to keep me away (even though I'm headed to Yankee Stadium in about an hour.)

Regarding another post...I have to disagree about Arthur's in Hoboken. A friend who loves it took me there, and I think you get what you pay for.

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
                                                • Location: North Chelmsford, MA
                                                RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 08/3/04 6:58 PM (permalink)
                                                Boston is now getting a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse see the article:
                                                http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4363
                                                This means Boston will have a Morton's, Abe and Louie's, Plaza 3, Smith and Wolensky on the way, and a Ruth's...and I probably missed 1 or 2.
                                                I remember when the Hilltop in Saugus was a big deal.
                                                Frank's Steak House in Cambridge,MA is not as fancy, but very good-simple,classic steakhouse.
                                                Heather and I returned from our annual July trip to Montreal...we forsaked Gibby's and Moishe's in favor of 2 lesser rated steakhouses:
                                                The Alouette on St. Catherine, and Le Keg, on St. Paul in Old Montreal, and in both cases, had fabulous dinners and drinks and had a bill of $135 Canadian or less.
                                                DaveM

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                                                  RE: Great Steakhouses Tue, 08/17/04 9:28 PM (permalink)
                                                  I had one killer steak a couple weeks ago at Damenti's, in Mountain Top PA.

Damenti's has a reputation for being the best restaurant in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton corridor, and it also has the reputation for being tremendously overrated. It's kind of strange that I've never eaten there before; I live about 5 minutes away, and the owner is an old school friend of my wife's brother, and I know him as a business acquaintance. I've avoided Damenti's based on accounts of non-regulars being treated poorly compared to regulars.

I had a porterhouse steak there that must have been around 2 pounds, around 2" thick, dry aged, perfectly medium rare. Served without potato; sides were a lettuce/cucumber/onion salad with blue cheese dressing and zucchini & summer squash with basil.

It was easily the best steak I've had outside of a major metro area; I'd say it is as good as any but the best from those major metros. I'd say it's close to Charley's in Orlando.

It would be classified as "expensive", IMO. That steak was pushing $40.

"So, Mosca; where do we find this 'Mountain Top' that you speak of? Is it worth even searching for?"

Ah, here is where ROADFOOD becomes part of the story! Damenti's is on Rt 309, about one mile north of Interstate 80 in Pennsylvania, maybe an hour or so west of the PA/NY border. So if you're crossing PA, and looking for a killer steak, remember Damenti's.

(Oh; if you're crossing PA and want a good inexpensive meal, and about 90% of the quality, go to the White Haven exit, maybe 10 miles farther east, and a couple miles north on Rt 437 you'll find a sign pointing to the right saying "Charley Weaver's Restaurant". Go there.)

Tom

HiredGoon

• Total Posts: 15
                                                    • Location: Grand Rapids, MI
                                                    RE: Great Steakhouses Mon, 08/23/04 12:38 AM (permalink)
                                                    F. McLintock's in Shell Beach (Pismo) California is the best! All their dinners include onion rings with salsa, salad, trail camp beans, garlic bread, ranch fried potatoes and after dinner liqueur or sherbert or ice cream. Their beans are excellent, good cowboy beans are a must have with a good steak. They have a great atmosphere and a great view of the pacific. One of the things they're known for besides their great food, is that all the waiters pour your water from up high. Sometimes they do trick pouring like pouring water into your glass while standing on a chair or with the glass on your head. They're very good but miss sometimes.

http://www.mclintocks.com/

don&sue

• Total Posts: 4
                                                      • Location: Deer Park,LI,NY, NY
                                                      RE: Great Steakhouses Sun, 10/10/04 4:31 PM (permalink)
                                                      WE have gone to Peter Luger on many occasion. It was always the best steak in town. #1 on our list. Then last June we went to Raliegh-Durham for a wedding. Before going we spoke to some people going to that wedding and asked for the best steak house in the area. I agree with hillbilly.

The Angus Barn is the Best steak we have ever had.

Whereever we travel, we look for a steakhouse. In LA we found the Black Angus. In a week, we went there 4 times.

don&sue

• Total Posts: 4
                                                        • Location: Deer Park,LI,NY, NY
                                                        RE: Great Steakhouses Sun, 10/10/04 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Alright, I stand here ready to have my head handed to me -- but I just ate one of the best steaks I have had in my life -- top 10 lifetime, call it -- at a chain restaurant and for under 10 bucks incl beverage.

We have a chain called Boulder Creek Steakhouse. There is a bout 10 on LI. We have gone to 2 off them. Bayshore and Hauppage. Bayshore is closest, but we were not satisfied. We've benn going to the Hauppage place which is a little further away. I always get the "Outlaw" a 32 Oz. Porterhouse Steak, served on a 450° sizzling platter with butter, garlic and rosemary. DEEE-licous

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Great Steakhouses Sun, 10/10/04 7:32 PM (permalink)
                                                          There is a place that is in the middle of noplace in Sebring, Florida called The Watering Hole. I think it does qualify as a Roadfood place it isn't fancy by any means.

TREMENDOUS steak -- cooked perfectly (I like mine Pittsburgh-style) ...they serve it with a banana and a fruit plate and the potatos are melt-in-your-mouth.

No reservations -- be prepared to wait a long time if you don't get there at the "crack of five."

No credit cards. Legend is that Paul Newman had to go out looking for an ATM after the meal so he could pay for dinner.

Spudnut

• Location: New York, NY
                                                            RE: Great Steakhouses Sun, 10/10/04 9:18 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

There is a place that is in the middle of noplace in Sebring, Florida called The Watering Hole. I think it does qualify as a Roadfood place it isn't fancy by any means.

TREMENDOUS steak -- cooked perfectly (I like mine Pittsburgh-style) ...they serve it with a banana and a fruit plate and the potatos are melt-in-your-mouth.

No reservations -- be prepared to wait a long time if you don't get there at the "crack of five."

No credit cards. Legend is that Paul Newman had to go out looking for an ATM after the meal so he could pay for dinner.

Help me out. What's Pittsburgh style? Served with a Clark Bar?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 13, messages 121 to 150 of 364

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com