Great Steakhouses

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Author
ericats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 112
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/10/10 22:29:32 (permalink)
Question for the NYC people: Do you know of a steakhouse, I believe it is in Midtown on the Westside, that serves the $40 hamburger and a $30 hotdog? I saw it on the Food Network and it is one that I've never heard of. If you know about it is it any good? Is a $30 hotdog worth it?
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2296
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/10/10 23:46:44 (permalink)
P.T. Barnum would tell you a thirty dollar hot dog is worth every penny.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4606
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/10/11 09:37:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Spudnut

quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

There is a place that is in the middle of noplace in Sebring, Florida called The Watering Hole. I think it does qualify as a Roadfood place it isn't fancy by any means.

TREMENDOUS steak -- cooked perfectly (I like mine Pittsburgh-style) ...they serve it with a banana and a fruit plate and the potatos are melt-in-your-mouth.

No reservations -- be prepared to wait a long time if you don't get there at the "crack of five."

No credit cards. Legend is that Paul Newman had to go out looking for an ATM after the meal so he could pay for dinner.

Help me out. What's Pittsburgh style? Served with a Clark Bar?

Pittsburgh is charred on the outside and rare (just about raw) on the inside. Some folks call it "Black-and-Blue."
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/10/11 11:02:37 (permalink)
I have eaton in some of the best over the years...Bern's,Ruth Chris,Lugers,etc....but in Tampa,the real sleeper is Sam Selzters.
went there yesterday after a family function...crisp(cold)salads,attentive service,wonderful garlic mashed and a whopper of a steak that was perfectly cooked(rare) ,tender and with that real 'steak'flavor....give it a try!
elswinger
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/10/13 13:45:15 (permalink)
In Seattle:

The Metropolitan Grill
The Union Square Bar & Grill
Morton's of Chicago
El Gaucho (also in Portland, OR)

2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/10/13 21:39:02 (permalink)
Grillin (Though it is one of those do it yourself places). Willies supper club. Believe it or not Golden Corrals sirloin is unexpectedly good. B.J Clancys has excellent prime rib.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/10/24 11:39:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ericats

Question for the NYC people: Do you know of a steakhouse, I believe it is in Midtown on the Westside, that serves the $40 hamburger and a $30 hotdog? I saw it on the Food Network and it is one that I've never heard of. If you know about it is it any good? Is a $30 hotdog worth it?

Was it 'The Old Homestead'? It's not midtown but it is westside down in the meat packing district. They have a $41 burger and a $19 dog, both Kobe beef. The place dates to the 1860's and you can see the lunch menu here:

http://www.oldhomesteadrestaurant.com/menus/lunchmenu.html
max4951
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/10/30 22:00:05 (permalink)
I have mentioned The Silver Flame in Tulsa Oklahoma before in another spot in this forum but it bears mentioning again. Great Steak, Great service, good bar and friendly hardworking people. I have been going there for 15 years and never once been disapointed with anything.
comfortfoodlover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/11/23 17:38:42 (permalink)
Cattlemen's in Oklahoma City. Just the best. http://www.cattlemensrestaurant.com/
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/12/11 12:10:39 (permalink)
I had a great dining experience a few days ago at Charlie's Steak House in Tampa. I ate and drank at the bar and had a great time with the bartenders and other patrons. The place was really hopping. I had a wonderful filet mignon that was cooked to perfection. excellent wine list and choices. Food and ambiance was excellent. Highly recommend.
mistertawny
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/12/18 11:37:42 (permalink)
A place that has a soft spot in my heart, although it's now defunct was in Pittsburg Ca. The place was called T'bones. This was a real roadfood joint. It was in a cinderblock building that was shall we politely say less than ornametal. It sat less than 40 and that would be crowded. Each booth had a small black and white TV with crappy reception except for the sports channels. The neighborhood was rough, with ladies of the evening and even ladies of the middle afternoon strolling by. Not a place for the "gourmand", n'cest pas?

Anyway the place was owned and run by a gentleman named Richard who had made a chunk of money, and this was his retirement hobby. He pretty well ran roughshod over his staff, and had a high turnover rate. He did try and use people from half way homes to help get them on their feet. But working for him couldn't have been a picnic. He really demanded they treat everyone nicely and that the whole staff would split tips (including the dishwasher).

Well I started going in there about once a week. Usually got a large top sirloin (pound and a half), his fries were terrific and you had the choice of a side of beans or pineapple (I had never thought of them as going together, now I don't think a steak should be eaten without citrus on the side). For dessert you got a chocolate mousse....a tootsie roll! He had a pretty small menu, basically he served meat, from a Dale Evans (1/2 pound ground chuck), to the Damn Fool, 3.5 pounds of t-bone. When you ordered that aprticular item he took your pic and posted it on his wall. He did have a decent salad bar, with great sharp bleu cheese dressing he made himself. One of the funnier things he did was pricing the salad bar. $2.50 with a steak, $50.00 on it's own, as he would say, this is a steak house. He also served (when available), alligator tail, wild boar, venison, shark, rattlesnake and more stuff I don't remember. It was a hoot.

He aged his meat on premesis, and even went out and picked his own cattle. Very good eye too. His steaks were some of the best I have EVER had.

My favorite memeory that endears him and his steak house to me after 10 years or so since it's demise. I was there when a rather unruly biker club came in and was ordering dinner. There were about 15 of them or so. 3 or 4 of the guys ordered my favorite large top and wanted them well done. Richard came out and tried to tell them that he would not "ruin" a great steak by charbroiling it to shoe leather. These guys all stood up and were trying to be menacing and nasty. He simply said do you want to eat here, or just go away hungry? They saw he was serious and backed down. Gave him a big tip as I remember!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Great Steakhouses 2004/12/22 00:23:33 (permalink)
I love the Ringside in Portland, Oregon. Great steaks. The onion rings are to die for.
Sherp
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/02/05 03:00:08 (permalink)
When I want a good steak, I usually grill it here at home. I have an excellent source for steaks. On occasion, I'll venture out. I haven't sought out bona fide "steak houses" locally, but have gone to a couple of chain restaurants, namely, The Outback and Lone Star Steak House. My preferred cut is rib-eye. Outback is OK, but a little too lean and dry. Lone Star's rib-eyes are typically good to excellent in my opinion. Texas Roadhouse has recently opened a new restaurant nearby and I'll be trying that one out soon. I understand that they have a pretty good reputation.

Tom, in Boise
cathandler
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/02/06 00:32:38 (permalink)
Went to Outback earlier this week and it was no better than average. Had a fabulous Ruby's Ribeye at the new Ruby Tuesday in Westbrook, ME recently but I've been told it can be hit-and-miss depending on location. Bonanza is the same way; Sanford was great, while Augusta was disgusting. Best independent I've been to in some time is Mac's Grill in Auburn (http://www.macsgrill.com.) I plan to hit the Steakhouse in Wells (http://www.the-steakhouse.com) when they reopen in late March.
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/02/24 02:02:45 (permalink)
In Buffalo, New York area there are only two great steakhouses:

1. The Buffalo Chophouse
2. E.B. Green's

Both are outstanding and highly recommended. The Buffalo Bills football team seems to prefer The Buffalo Chophouse.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/02/24 04:55:07 (permalink)
Ah, the steakhouse. I remember back in graduate school, when someone would pass their exams, we would celebrate at Sizzler. Real meat ... well, sort of ... and a potato of sorts, and an all-you-could-eat salad bar. And the ice cream (sort of) machine. Back then it was a pretty great steakhouse.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/02/24 05:04:19 (permalink)
But as an afterthought to that. Has anyone tried taking a good piece of meat and dry-aging it at home, and then cooking it right? And then compare with the big-buck steaks at a high-name steakhouse? I do it with roasts and thick steaks, and it comes out great. At far less that the beef houses. And potatos the way I really like them.
MartinT
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/03/28 23:36:05 (permalink)
For NYC the best steak is at Peter Luger`s,best bar is at Gallagher`s and the best people watching at Michael Jordan`s in Grand Central Station with a seat above the Main Concourse.
MartinT
Junior Burger
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/03/28 23:42:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cathandler

Went to Outback earlier this week and it was no better than average. Had a fabulous Ruby's Ribeye at the new Ruby Tuesday in Westbrook, ME recently but I've been told it can be hit-and-miss depending on location. Bonanza is the same way; Sanford was great, while Augusta was disgusting. Best independent I've been to in some time is Mac's Grill in Auburn (http://www.macsgrill.com.) I plan to hit the Steakhouse in Wells (http://www.the-steakhouse.com) when they reopen in late March.

Cathandler-No disrespect intended but the spots you mentioned would be better suited for a chain restaurant forum.They have no business here. Recommend you head to Boston and bring your wallet because you won`t get out for $20 a head at a good New York Style Steakhouse.
hjbyun
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 100
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/03/28 23:50:25 (permalink)
I've not eaten at a lot of steak houses other than in DC where I've tried most of them. My favorite by far is the Capital Grill on Penn. Ave (for some reason the other location in Tyson's is not as good). The Dry aged porterhouse is excellent and the seafood appetizers is great!!!

The worst steak house experience was not in DC but in Las Vagas at Delmonicos. I didn't like the service or the steak. Would never go back.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/03/29 10:12:57 (permalink)
Best steaks in HOUSTON, my ranking

1. Ruth's Chris
2. Churrasco's
3. (tie)Pappa's
Vic and Anthony's
5. (tie)Morton's of Chicago
Fleming's
Smith and Wollensky
8. Sullivan's

DaveM
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/03/29 10:41:21 (permalink)
Cathandler, as one with family in Kennebunk, The Steakhouse in Wells is the only true steakhouse in the southern coastal area that specializes in steak.
The Bonanza restaurants are less chain, more independents at this point, and the one in Sanford is consistantly busy.
I wonder what Fore Street in Portland is offering for beef these days even though it is not a true steakhouse.
Also, Muddy River Smokehouse in Portsmouth,NH has beef on its menu, and once the season starts, there could be something in Ogunquit.
DaveM
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/03/29 12:32:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MartinT

Cathandler-No disrespect intended but the spots you mentioned would be better suited for a chain restaurant forum.They have no business here. Recommend you head to Boston and bring your wallet because you won`t get out for $20 a head at a good New York Style Steakhouse.

MartinT,

I am originally from NY and have experienced several of the NY Style Steakhouses and have paid a pretty penny however, neither of them can hold a candle to the Golden Ox in Kansas City (16 Oz KC Strip and Martini for $35 with tax and tip in 2000) or The Tea Steak House in Tea South Dakota (32 OZ T-Bone $20 with tax and tip in 1998) Everyone knows that the Best Beef is in the Mid West.
MartinT
Junior Burger
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/03/29 17:03:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

MartinT,

I am originally from NY and have experienced several of the NY Style Steakhouses and have paid a pretty penny however, neither of them can hold a candle to the Golden Ox in Kansas City (16 Oz KC Strip and Martini for $35 with tax and tip in 2000) or The Tea Steak House in Tea South Dakota (32 OZ T-Bone $20 with tax and tip in 1998) Everyone knows that the Best Beef is in the Mid West.
MartinT
Junior Burger
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/03/29 17:09:30 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

MartinT,
wanderingjew- I would love to try the spots you referenced in the Midwest. Never been to KC so I can`t compare. It would seem logical that most of the great steakhouses in the Northeast get their beef from the Midwest. I understand that Ruth`s Chris raises their own. Know anything about this?

MartinT
Junior Burger
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/03/29 17:37:27 (permalink)
Sorry to wanderingjew as my last reply was added in error to your response and appears to be one reply.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/03/29 19:23:25 (permalink)
quote:

Sorry to wanderingjew as my last reply was added in error to your response and appears to be one reply.

Martin T,
I'm not certain if Ruth's Chris raises their own beef, but I'm pretty certain that Peter Lugers does. The Secret to Beef in the Midwest (I know this because of a good friend from Minnesota) is that they keep the best quality and cuts for themselves!
Will44
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/04/12 10:56:35 (permalink)
There's great Prime Rib on Weekends, at Lemke's on National in West Allis, WI They only use certified Black Angus Prime's Slow Roasted, and three differant cuts for your appetite.
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/04/12 14:14:41 (permalink)
I've been meaning to post our weekend experience - here's the perfect place to do it! I've been staying at my parents dog sitting for the past two weeks. Since we've been apart so long, Bob came down and we decided to splurge and try out Mignon's on Park Ave in Rutherford, NJ. I think he had read about it on another forum. Now, there are quite a few New York Steakhouses not far away, however, if you don't want to cross the border, this place is great. And an added bonus is that it is a BYOB place, so you don't have a liquor bill.

Our Dinner: Buffalo Calamari - just had to try it because we've never seen it before. The calamari was perfect - tender, not chewy and the sauce spicy and tangy with blue cheese crumbles. Very good, but strange. Not sure I would ever get it again, not because it tasted bad, it was just too wierd for me. I regret not trying the crabcakes instead, which looked delicious on another patrons plate.

We ordered the Porterhouse for 2. It was $45 and one of the best steaks I've ever had. Perfectly cooked prime, medium rare, charred on the outside and juicy. Oh man...the only complaint was that it could have been bigger for us. But then again we can be glutons, so for a "normal" couple it would be fine. Then again, I'm speaking to Roadfooders . I should also add that the adorable young waitress carved that thing with the skill of a seasoned butcher. Didn't expect that at all. The service was excellent - very friendly and added alot to the experience. Creamed spinach was the side, and very good as well.

Dessert was THE only slight disappointment creme brulee was a little too "eggy" for me - mine is better, not to brag, IMHO.

The wine we brought was very good as well - Red Rooster Merlot-it was recommended by the clerk and did not disappoint. Let it breathe a bit, though.

The atmosphere was done nicely - very rich woodwork walls and minimal decor. It could be both exciting and romantic at the same time. We were tucked in a corner and it was perfect.

I'd definitely recommend it for Jerseyites, or those travelling through, as Rutherford is close to the Turnpike, Route 80, 3 & 17. Sue

p.s. we balanced the weekend out the next day and went to Rutt's for some rippers and wellers and nice greasy onion rings

Edit: I forgot one noteable thing - the bread was spectacular-crusty and dense. And the kicker - they serve it with butter that tastes better than butter and steak tartar (sp?)- it was an added bonus!
dkp
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Great Steakhouses 2005/04/27 22:17:17 (permalink)
O.K. everyone. Several of you have listed Johnny's in Omaha as one of your favorites. But, someone, way back in this forum wasn't happy with it. We will be going to Omaha in September, and thought we would like to go to Johnny's; I used to eat there when I worked in Omaha.
Is it still good? Or, do you have another recommendation for us in the same price range?
Thanks everybody
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1