Here's my top five. I thought I'd include a little more information than normal for people (like me) who budget their cash.
For the little $ signs, here's the rating system:
$ = Inexpensive, $8-15 per person
$$ = Average, $16-25 per person
$$$ = Moderately expensive, $26-30 per person
$$$$ = Very expensive, $36-45 per person
$$$$$ = Extremely expensive, $46 and up per person
Per person = cost if you eat 1 appetizer, 1 entree with its sides, and a soda.
1. The Ranch Steakhouse in Oklahoma City ($$$$). Absolutely amazing steaks, appetizers are really something else.
2. Lawry's The Prime Rib
in Chicago ($$$$). Excellent prime rib, they treat you like a king at this place. Excellent meal for the money spent.
3. The Saloon in Chicago ($$$). Very good steaks. I love how the chef at this place gives you a crash course in choosing a steak for your dinner. Worth every penny.
4. Zeno's Motel and Steak House in Rolla, MO ($$). Outstanding service. Servers typically receive at least a 20% tip from me here. Prime rib is superb. Has the best sauteed mushrooms I've ever eaten.
5. Indian Hills Steaks in Norman, OK ($$). Prime rib is far
above average for a very average price. Fries are seasoned and crispy, which merits an above average score in my book any day.
A note about Lawry's - if you order soda, refills are not
free, so it's $2.50 for every glass of Pepsi they bring you :)
And here's the bottom of the list - there's only one here because all the other places that would make this list are chains.
1. Danny's Steak House in Norman, OK ($$$$$). Steak was really not worth it. Appetizers flavors were way out of balance. When you can smell the garlic on the bruschetta from two tables over, something's wrong. I spent nearly $50 here on a steak, 1 appetizer, and a drink. If the steak had been juicy and flavorful, this place might have not made this list - but when you order a steak medium and get a hunk of charcoal there's some serious issues here.