Great bartenders I remember

Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2008/03/22 09:02:10 (permalink)

Great bartenders I remember

A great bartender is a joy forever. I find it
usually a guy but a few gals along the way.

My all time favorites---------
Joe at the Elks Club in Huntington, NY --- one
drink and he never forgot what it was and how
you liked it. Knew a lot about a lot but never
butt in unless asked.

And---whats-his-name (I forgot) at Piper's Kilt
who could discuss Giant Football with me until
it was time to go home.

20 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/22 09:06:19 (permalink)
    Boy are you bringing back memories...any one out there go to Monmouth College(now University) in the late 60's-early70's and remember Patty from Patty Murray's off 2nd ave. It was a great,but small, "pub" style place..and our favorite watering hole...Patty often passed a free suds your way..I can still hear the piano music coming out of the jute box!Yes,the man behind the counter sure makes a difference!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/22 16:07:13 (permalink)
    Well Lee old buddy, it would appear that we are the only people
    on Roadfood who have known memorable bartenders. What a shame.

How about Tommy Broderick, a 6-6 250# lad who vaulted over the
    bar and attacked a guy with a pistol who was trying to hold up
    Tommy's Bar in Lake Ronkonkoma. The would be hold-up man is
    still running.
    Lexi
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/22 16:37:47 (permalink)
    My first cocktails 'out' were crafted and served by Kevin at Frumpson's in New Rochelle, NY. Back then the drinking age was 18, but I was there starting with my 15th birthday - the laws were VERY different in those days and the standard NY state license was made of plain paper and very easy to alter.

When I finally turned 18 I walked in proudly with my real license - Kevin just about died laughing and then just made me another perfect Sidecar.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/22 16:51:34 (permalink)
    Oh no Ancient One... I know so many that I was trying to decide how to respond.

A great bartender does make for a great nite!

If I forget to mention someone I will be in trouble!
    Joe
    Robearjr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/22 16:52:19 (permalink)
    In Bel Air, Maryland in the 1990's, before all the chains came and destroyed the soul of the town, we had some great bartenders. Paul, RIP, at Uncle George's. I'll always remember his perfectly styled silver hair and his signature shooter: "the viper". Another great one was Murph at Georgetown North. A man who could tell a great story one minute, and the next minute he would be telling you were to get off. I pity those who were foolish enough to order a frozen drink from Murph.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/22 17:20:38 (permalink)
    Lexi ----they are still out there so I wouldn't tell anyone
    the Alcohol and Beverage guys might be still looking for you.
    Papa Joe---shame on you, I would never have guessed you went through
    those swinging doors --- not even once, from either side.
    Rob-----ain't it a shame that all the good joints are replaced with CVS and
    Home Depot and Wal-Mart. Ah, but if you build it they will come.

Could I buy y'all a wee one ??????
    Richard Mackiewicz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/22 17:33:18 (permalink)
    Hey Mariner, Do remember Blackie at the Elks in Glen Cove, he was great! Or how about the Hunter's Inn in Smithtown. The Best one I remember was Joe McDonell at McDonell's in Great Neck. He was in a class by himself.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6395
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/22 18:12:16 (permalink)
    Carly Smithson, the singing contestant on American Idol this year, can pour you a Guinness with a shamrock on the foam top. I'll take any bartender that knows how to properly pour a Guinness from the tap as a favorite.

Steve at Lyon's Pub on 6th in Minneapolis knows my drink and has it ready the minute I hit the stool.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/22 18:51:27 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Among my favorite bartenders:
    1) Robert Holland of The Euclid Avenue Yacht Club in Atlanta. He still works there on a fill-in basis; otherwise he is employed as a "rent-a-bartender." He kinda lumbers when he walks, and if you're in a greivous hurry, he's not your man, but he just IS. He won an award in Atlanta for Best Bartender two years running.
    2) Steve Casadont at The Globe in Athens. He held the record for number of glasses broken in one shift (I think it was 17), but the stuff he knew how to make without consulting a bartender's guide would blow any cocktail lover's mind (and people constantly tested him!). He went back to Graduate School and is about to be awarded an advanced degree. He says he still wants to tend bar in the summers, around teaching and research.
    3) Courtnee (can't remember her last name) at Copper Creek Brewing in Athens. She could act as manager, tend bar, and help wait tables at the same time. She could cut off almost anyone without them uttering a peep (except of gratitude). Gad. All us guys there had crushes on her; you couldn't help but have one... but what I remember her for is not her beauty but her brilliant competence. Her biggest talent was her left-handed ability to wrote the beers on the menu board perfectly. She works for a distributor in Atlanta now, and she still hasn't whacked her gorgeous almost-long-enough-to-sit-on hair.
    4) Brittany Junod at the same place. A natural platium blonde with a winsome personality and a smile that could melt steel, she was fast and thorough and never poured anything but a **PERFECT** pint. She's out in L. A. now, working in the production end of the movie industry... but she REALLY should be on camera. We all loved her, too (sigh).
    5) Robert Sampson at The Globe. What's a guy with a 180 I. Q. doing tending bar? Very well, thank you. I even remember burping him once when he was a baby.
    Those are the five that I remember best. Here's to 'em all!
    Toastingly (But Not Toastedly), Ort. Carlton in Ever-Beautiful Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. What a great thread!!
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/22 19:47:35 (permalink)
    Billy Couch at Steve's Place on Packard's corner in Boston (Comm and Brighton Aves).
    Friday nights I'd go off-watch and pick up the young lady (and present wife)I was seeing from her shift at the Brigham's in the Pru.
    B trolly down Comm ave, elbow our way to the bar, and Dewar's and soda (me)and double Dewar's on the rocks (her) would flow 'til closing. Every third round was on the house.
    Man, I miss those days!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/22 20:21:54 (permalink)
    Richard---I lived in Glen Cove and then Locust Valley for 6 years, but I don't remember seeing you around---musta missed ya !!! Never went to the Elks there. Was that down by the Russian Embassy ?

Davy there is a pub in Yonkers named after it's esteemed owner Rory Dolan where they sell the most Guinness in the free world north of Manhattan and south of Boston. The lads do a fine job and never a drop is dropped or spilt either.

Now Ort how do you remember all the names-----I sometimes forget my own. I must be getting old.
    Your description of the wonderful bartenders in your life is a badge of honor for them. Good People.

And Top at present you are on the bottom not the top, old top! Yep those days are gone but not forgotten----so drink up all you lucky people----you have great memories. And keep dreaming !!
    mbrookes
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1355
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/26 15:57:33 (permalink)
    Bo "Moon" Mullins (RIP)
    He rotated through most of the good pubs and bars in Jackson. Everyone knew him and loved him.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/26 16:19:29 (permalink)
    Mbrfookes---Dear Sir

We had a Moon Mullins in my youth------but he was not a bartender
    he was one of the strongest men I ever saw. Worked in construction
    and did the work of 5 men. Also Joe Jones a gentle giant.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/26 18:04:54 (permalink)
    Just read about beer being piped to the tables in Atlanta. So you sit with a
    filling station at the table and a meter checking your tab. Boy if that doesn't
    make drinking beer a stupid passtime I don't know what does.

The good bartender and the other guys at the bar were the reason to go out, the
    comradship at your "joint" was what made it worth going to. There is no reason
    to just sit and drink till you fall on your face. Conversation, which comes
    easy after one or two, has been the reason for going out---otherwise sit home,
    open a few bottles, talk to yourself, solve the problems of the world to your
    approval, and then toddle off to bed. Nighty night !!!!! And don't forget
    to say your prayers !!!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/26 18:31:32 (permalink)
    I remember a bartender named "Harry" - never learned his last name, but he had only one ear - the other having been bit off in a joint in Hoboken sometime in the 20's . When I first met him I was maybe 19 or 20 years old and making the rounds of the local bars in Dutchess County, NY. He was tending bar in a pretty high end place called The Treasure Chest and was reminiscing about tending bar during the Prohibition era. He had worked the infamous Black Swan for Dutch Schultz in Rifton, NY for a while, and left there in a hurry to spend several years in Montreal where he was out of the reach of the cops and the gangsters.

Harry never stayed anyplace very long, but wherever he went to work he a had following that brought new business to that bar. When Jack McCauley, owner of McCauleys bar in Poughkeepsie tried to hire him, Harry explained to Jack his simple philosophy of professional bartending: "Jack", he said, "For a $100 a week I'll run you a good bar, keep the peace, bring in new business, and not steal a penny. For $50 a week I'll steal you blind and you wont even know how I'm doing it." Jack didn't hire him. Shortly after that I found Harry working the bar at The Congress Tavern on Main Street in Poughkeepsie, then he was at a joint up on the North Road near where Maris College is today (Ferris's??). Last time i saw him he was tending bar at a Yugoslavian motel in Fishkill where he was touting the fine rooms to be had "cheap at this time of night" to me and my lady friend.

Harry said he worked the morning shift in the biggest bar, located on a busy corner, in Montreal in 1930. And one morning a drunk staggered in and demanded a drink. Harry threw him out. The drunk staggered around to the door on the corner, entered and was thrown out again. He then entered the remaining entrance on a side street, saw Harry behind the bar, stood in shocked awe and managed to blurt out,"God Almaighty,do you work in every damn bar in Montreal?", as he made his way out without even requesting a drink.

Cheers, John
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/26 19:01:18 (permalink)
    Great story John-----Harry was one of those bar keeps who made the world go round.
    I don't think they will be replaced. I heard of Dutch Schultz but he
    was far before my time-----more in your era. He and Legs Diamond
    and the rest of that gang from Brooklyn made a name for themselves.

Mitchell25418
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/26 19:07:14 (permalink)
    Mr Mariner - The Bartender at the Kilt, was his name by any chance Snapper?
    He's been the night guy for a good while
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/27 01:04:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner
    Just read about beer being piped to the tables in Atlanta. So you sit with a
    filling station at the table and a meter checking your tab. Boy if that doesn't make drinking beer a stupid passtime I don't know what does.

Mr. Mariner,
    Doesn't seem like I'll be going there... my proclivities are toward locally-made brews, like SweetWater, Terrapin, and Red Brick. They've got that meter going on national brand stuff (please note: I didn't say "swill" for once!).
    Unthirstily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/27 01:11:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner
    I heard of Dutch Schultz....

Mr. Mariner,
    It's a little off-topic, but his real name was Arthur Flegenheimer, I think it was.
    If you want to read something amazing, read Dutch Schultz's dying words... it must've taken him an entire week to die, and he chattered away the entire time. Somebody sat by his bed and took down every word... absolutely amazing.
    Not Eating French-Canadian Bean Soup (I'll Pay, I'll Pay), Ort. Carlton in Very Much Alive Athens, Georgia.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    RE: Great bartenders I remember 2008/03/27 01:12:11 (permalink)
    That's funny----I can't seem to be able to remember any bartenders!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1