Great eggroll in Chicago area

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2005/01/12 11:20:36 (permalink)

Great eggroll in Chicago area

I'm the last person to praise a chain restaurant, but here I am doing it. The vegetarian egg roll at Pacific Rim in Northbrook, Ill., a Chicago suburb, is one of the best I've ever had (I stick to veggie egg rolls because I don't eat pork). The outside is crispy, flaky and melts in your mouth. The inside has real vegetables, not just shredded cabbage. Highly recommended.

Does anyone else have recommendations on a good vegetarian egg roll?

8 Replies Related Threads

michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Great eggroll in Chicago area 2005/01/12 19:20:14 (permalink)
    Last August my brother and I ate at the Pine Yard in Evanston on Davis Street west of Audio Consultants, and I enjoyed their egg rolls. I'm pretty sure they were vegetarian. I do eat pork, but prefer veggie egg rolls, as I love cabbage. We enjoyed the whole meal, and felt the price was reasonable considering the quality.

We also had egg rolls from Red Jade on Church Street in San Francisco on New Year's Eve, but that wouldn't be as convenient as downtown Evanston for you. For that matter, in SF the Chinese restaurants charge for steamed rice.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Great eggroll in Chicago area 2005/01/13 09:49:06 (permalink)
    Now my wife tells me that Pacific Rim isn't a chain. Well, I still think it is. Either way, they have great egg rolls. Other food there is also top notch. The curry and duck dishes are quite good.
    mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Great eggroll in Chicago area 2005/01/23 15:20:32 (permalink)
    The egg rolls at Hong Min were the best that I have ever had. Unfortunately, the Chinatown location burnt down two summer ago but they still have a spot in Palos Heights (I believe).

I have never been there but I have been told that the egg rolls at Heng Wing in downtown Palatine are fabulous. I drive by the location every day and it is always packed but I have yet to stop.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Great eggroll in Chicago area 2005/01/24 17:08:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

I'm the last person to praise a chain restaurant, but here I am doing it. The vegetarian egg roll at Pacific Rim in Northbrook, Ill., a Chicago suburb, is one of the best I've ever had (I stick to veggie egg rolls because I don't eat pork). The outside is crispy, flaky and melts in your mouth. The inside has real vegetables, not just shredded cabbage. Highly recommended.

Does anyone else have recommendations on a good vegetarian egg roll?

On another thread, I have waxed rapsodic about eggrolls I had a long time ago at Charlie Lui's near Wrigley (now long gone). They were made with spring roll wraps, so they were really crispy. They had lots of woodear, nice pork, and black pepper, not a lot of cabbage.

My brother, who lives near Oak park, and has an Aikido dojo in Arlingon Heights says he thinks he's found the owners of the old Charlie Lui's somewhere out in the burbs. I'll have to call and see if it was Pacific Rim.

Good eggrolls are HARD to find!!!
    Tastytoo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: Great eggroll in Chicago area 2006/04/05 10:01:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

Now my wife tells me that Pacific Rim isn't a chain. Well, I still think it is. Either way, they have great egg rolls. Other food there is also top notch. The curry and duck dishes are quite good.

I don't know if Pacific Rim is a chain, perhaps you are thinking of the nearby P. F. Changs which is a chain. Thanks for the heads up on PR. I visit that area enough but have never been to the restaurant and would like to try it.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4274
    RE: Great eggroll in Chicago area 2006/04/05 13:52:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmos

On another thread, I have waxed rapsodic about eggrolls I had a long time ago at Charlie Lui's near Wrigley (now long gone).
    Just as an aside, how many remember that when Charlie Lui's first opened it was called "Charlie Chan's"? There was a bit of an uproar over the name because of it's stereotypical implications. Or maybe it was a copyright tussle with Earl Derr Biggers'estate.

Anyway, they changed the name to Charlie Lui's but kept the image of Charlie Chan's face as represented by Warner Oland. Or maybe it was Sidney Toler.

Isn't movie trivia fun?

Buddy
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Great eggroll in Chicago area 2006/04/11 13:01:20 (permalink)
    It IS hard to find a good egg roll. Most are so tough you need a knife to cut em. How do folks that make a good one get them tender, crispy, and flaky?
    Joe
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Great eggroll in Chicago area 2006/04/11 16:13:36 (permalink)
    "Chicago area" takes in a good deal of territory. Hopefully it includes Michigan City, Ind., off I-94 (Exit 34B), which is home to the little hole-in-the-wall Peking Restaurant.

This classic,, old school Cantonese restaurant serves up not only awesome, flaky egg rolls as wished for above, but also some of the all-time classics like Roast Pork Fried Rice, Chicken Pepper Tomato, Pressed Duck and a sensational Wor Bar soup, crammed with chicken, shrimp and Chinese vegetables, into which you sprinkle handfuls of sizzling rice. A meal in itself, I guarantee.

Skip the buffet and order off the menu if you go.

Sterns: Please, please note! This is real Roadfood, the real deal.

- Rusty
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1