Great frozen pizza?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
TerrierMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/13 18:27:32 (permalink)
Freschetta. It really is Betta. I live in CT, home of many a good authentic pizzaria. Compared to a pizza from a mom and pop place in an area famous for authentic good pizza, it's merely okay. But compared to any national chain pie, Freschetta has them beat hands down.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/13 18:52:05 (permalink)
Mom, I like those Freschettas also. I think they have the best crust of any frozen pizza. And, what kind of Terriers do you have? I am a food nut, but also a dog nut.
Joe
TerrierMom
Cheeseburger
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/13 20:23:18 (permalink)
iam a food and dog nut too! I have a 15 year old Scottish terrier. And a sweet little guy who is a mix of Cairn Terrier and probably Pug. The vet said maybe he's part Affenspinscher, not Pug, but they are so rare that it's unlikely. The Scottie I have had since she was a puppy. The mix is 2-4 years old and I adopted him from a shelter last June.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/13 21:14:44 (permalink)
Thanks Mom. I have never known a Cairn Pug mix but it should make a great dog. But... what to call it? A Pugn maybe

A good Scotty is also a great dog! Sound like yours is. We have a neat dog thread floating around here somewhere.
Joe
TerrierMom
Cheeseburger
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/13 22:16:26 (permalink)
I also like Ellio's frozen pizza. Reminds me exactly of the square pizza served at Branford Intermediate School in the mid to late 70's. You wouldn't expect it to be good, but it is. Stouffer's French Bread pizza is another sentimental favorite, as are those Totino's pizza rolls. Heresy I am sure, having lived many years in either Middlesex or New Haven County in CT. But then I also will sometimes still make "Baby Pizzas" that I first learned to make in Home Ec at Branford Intermediate. English muffin, toasted. Topped with tomato sauce and cheese. Then stuck under the broiler to melt the cheese. In Home-Ec we made the sauce with a can of Hunt's or Stop and Shop tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and oregano. Mozzarella or American cheese on top. Thomas' English muffins. But you can use any jarred sauce and any cheese. And add any toppings you like.

PapaJoe8, according to the designer dog breeders, a Cairn Pug mix is a Pugairn. I mostly call him cute. He really does manage to look very Cairn Terrier, yet Pug at the same time. He's got a coat of fur that is 100% Cairn Terrier. Cairn tail, but with a very Pug curly-Q to it. Pug button ears and buggy Pug eyes. Pug underbite. His muzzle is not as short as Pug, and isn't squashed looking like a Pug at all. But it's not as long as a full Cairn would have. Here he is, several minutes after arriving at his new home from his shelter.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/13 22:50:12 (permalink)
Wow, toooo cute Mom! And, I am a big fan of adopting a dog from a shelter, or taking in a stray. It is just to sad how many dogs never find a new home.

Oh, dogs like frozen Pizza, but I have found that they like it much better the next day, after it has sat out overnight. Don't get me wrong, they will eat it any way except maybe frozen!
Joe
TerrierMom
Cheeseburger
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/13 22:55:37 (permalink)
Dusty and Fiona agree about pizza! They are true chow hounds, and love food in all forms. Including pizza in all its variations from frozen to chain to authentic Italian or Greek pizzaria.

Dusty has his mouth open in that picture. He looks very Cairnish when his mouth is open. If it's shut, then his underbite is very apparent, and you can see the Pug in him much more clearly.
southpaw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/14 06:20:00 (permalink)
I was simply saying that chicken livers might be good on a pizza.

I was not trying to do any thing to any body.
Sorry for any confusion.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/14 09:55:15 (permalink)
Thanks for clearing that up southPaw! Hey, they might be?

It was what you said, inside the quote from Jim, that I think caused the confusion. It looked kinda like jim said that about the livers and pizza in your first post. I knew it was you though because of your second post. Put your words outside the grey box and there will be no confusion. Do you know how to use the "edit" button? It looks like a little pincle and is right above your posts.
Joe
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 943
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/14 10:06:42 (permalink)
I agree that Home Run Inn is pretty good.
DiGiorno and Freschetta, as well.

Once in a while, I'll buy a Gino's East deep dish sausage or spinach, just 'cause I can't make it to Chicago very often. Not the same, of course, but it'll do in a pinch....

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/14 10:07:32 (permalink)
Like pineapple I cannot believe liver has any place on a pizza! Frozen or fresh.
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/14 13:03:54 (permalink)
Here's what I consider to be the best frozen pizza available. Unfortunately, it can only be found in my freezer. When I make pizza, I usually do at least 2(14"-16"), 3(11" or 12"), or 4(10") and, unless we're having company for dinner, I'll have leftovers which I freeze. The one below is a plain 12" (made oblong so it will fit in a 2 gallon freezer bag). Frozen pies get eaten within a week or 10 days so they don't get any freezer burn. I put them (still frozen-additional toppings can be added at this time) on a pizza screen in a pre-heated 450 oven for about 7 minutes and, except for a tad more crispness, they come out almost as good as fresh-made.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/14 13:23:33 (permalink)
You ought to go in business with this product!
Nick_Escalantes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/19 13:47:25 (permalink)
I'm not a big fan of frozen pizzas in general. Mama Celeste takes the crown for the worst. It's not even eatable unless you are starving in the wild. Francetta is decent. Tombstone, typical frozen junk.

My favorite has to be Rozzano's from BJ's Wholesale Club. Again, this company did it again with me. First it was their jarred marinara, now it is their frozen pies. Very high quality products.

They come in a 3-pack for $9.99, 3-cheese with tomato & basil. First off, it is a great deal for the size and quality of the pies. The crust is SUPER thin, thinnest I've seen on frozen pies. And it tastes very fresh and much better than the others. Great cheese, fresh chunks of tomato.

But recently I haven't seen them at my local BJ's Not sure why, but they have them at another club up the road. I hope they aren't thinking of discontinuing these. Rozzano does it again!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/19 15:22:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Nick_Escalantes

I'm not a big fan of frozen pizzas in general. Mama Celeste takes the crown for the worst. It's not even eatable unless you are starving in the wild. Francetta is decent. Tombstone, typical frozen junk.

My favorite has to be Rozzano's from BJ's Wholesale Club. Again, this company did it again with me. First it was their jarred marinara, now it is their frozen pies. Very high quality products.

They come in a 3-pack for $9.99, 3-cheese with tomato & basil. First off, it is a great deal for the size and quality of the pies. The crust is SUPER thin, thinnest I've seen on frozen pies. And it tastes very fresh and much better than the others. Great cheese, fresh chunks of tomato.

But recently I haven't seen them at my local BJ's Not sure why, but they have them at another club up the road. I hope they aren't thinking of discontinuing these. Rozzano does it again!
What club up the road?
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/19 22:38:24 (permalink)
Hi Nick,

Say, while you are at it, could you get the USDA plant number off of one of Rozzano's meat pies, such as sausage or pepperoni? Rozzano is a BJ's house brand.

I'm editing this post because I screwed up. If your BJ's doesn't have Rozzano's pizza any more, you can't get the plant number off of it. But then, the club up the street (Sam's Club, Costco, etc) shouldn't have any, either.
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/20 11:04:12 (permalink)

I have enjoyed a variation of what porkbeaks has pictured. What I have here is a pizza from Zuppardi's Pizza in West Haven, Ct. They've been around since 1934, just like the other guys.
They make a to-go frozen pie with either it being plain or one topping for $5.00. This is their sausage pie with an excellent sausage that is made on the premises. This pizza is an incredible bargain.

Here is the wrapped pie prior to cooking:

Fresh from the oven:

Pre-cooked pies ready for packaging and distribution to local bars:

This is a case where I can say 'Yes' to the question as to whether you can find a great frozen pie.

mark
porkbeaks
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/20 11:25:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by doggydaddy

I have enjoyed a variation of what porkbeaks has pictured. What I have here is a pizza from Zuppardi's Pizza in West Haven, Ct. They've been around since 1934, just like the other guys.
They make a to-go frozen pie with either it being plain or one topping for $5.00. This is their sausage pie with an excellent sausage that is made on the premises. This pizza is an incredible bargain.

mark

You didn't mention what size those pies are but, even if they're only 10", that is an unbelievable bargain. You are a lucky guy to have it available. pb

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/20 13:38:21 (permalink)

They are 10" pies. Fortunately, I bought a few and they are still in the freezer and I was able to measure those. I have a covection toster oven that cooked it very quickly. You can also get an idea of the size from the bottom photo.
It tastes like New Haven exploding in your mouth (which is better than it sounds).

mark
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/20 19:51:57 (permalink)
Wow...we can only hope this starts a trend...imagine your favorite pizzareia selling frozen pizza to go at half price or less...just heat and serve.....I think that's a great idea!
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/03/20 19:58:07 (permalink)
http://www.nicknwillys.com/

There are other similar places, but this is the chain I use. It's not frozen, but call ahead and they'll whip one up that you cook when you get home.
sisterbeer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/05/06 22:58:34 (permalink)
Does anyone from the northern NJ area remember a frozen pizza by the name of Tree Tavern? It used to be a real place, at least when my parents were teenagers. Then the pizzeria closed down, but somebody bought and kept the frozen line going. Now, I don't think even that's around anymore. Anyway, that's the frozen pizza my family bought. It only came plain, but it was so good with a drizzle of olive oil before baking...
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/05/07 07:28:38 (permalink)
We had a few threads on Tree Tavern on this forum, including this one:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18737
I saw some in a supermarket this weekend, so they still are for sale. The big issue is how closely the current formula compares from the time they made the frozen pizza in Paterson, NJ. But it seems most pizza has changed formulations since the 50's.
Nick_Escalantes
Junior Burger
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/05/16 19:31:30 (permalink)
I just bought a 3-pack of Aliki Margherita pizza from BJ's. It says it is wood-fired brick oven cooked. The box looks very appealing. I'm looking forward to breaking into one of these bad boys in the next few days. I will post a review. Has anybody tried these?

Description from website: "Grandma Aliki’s Famous Pizza Sauce, White Cheddar, Mozzarella & Romano Cheese, with a garnish of Tomatoes, Basil and Garlic on a Wood-Fired, Brick Oven Style Crust."

http://www.alikifoods.com/products_margherita.htm

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/05/16 19:34:31 (permalink)
Cheddar cheese on good Italian pizza?
porkbeaks
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/05/16 19:38:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Nick_Escalantes

I just bought a 3-pack of Aliki Margherita pizza from BJ's. It says it is wood-fired brick oven cooked. The box looks very appealing. I'm looking forward to breaking into one of these bad boys in the next few days. I will post a review. Has anybody tried these?

Description from website: "Grandma Aliki’s Famous Pizza Sauce, White Cheddar, Mozzarella & Romano Cheese, with a garnish of Tomatoes, Basil and Garlic on a Wood-Fired, Brick Oven Style Crust."

Well, good luck with that, but I'd bet that the word "style" probably means they're not cooked in a wood fired brick oven and I never heard of using cheddar cheese on a Margherita pizza. pb
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/05/16 19:47:20 (permalink)
While I've put many kinds of cheese on pizza,I'm not sure about cheddar...but I certainly wouldn't call it Italian on a box....and right on Porkbeats "style" is the dead giveaway!!!!
Nick_Escalantes
Junior Burger
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/05/16 20:17:55 (permalink)
Aliki's founder is Greek, so I'm not sure if he's trying to replicate an 'authentic Italian' pizza.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2329
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/05/16 21:00:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

Like pineapple I cannot believe liver has any place on a pizza! Frozen or fresh.

When I was in college in Honolulu, long ago, Anna Banana's served a peanut butter and pineapple pizza. My stomach was stronger then than today.
joem15
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Great frozen pizza? 2008/05/16 22:15:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

http://www.nicknwillys.com/

There are other similar places, but this is the chain I use. It's not frozen, but call ahead and they'll whip one up that you cook when you get home.

Tried Nick N Willies, sorry, I'll only say Brookfield. The ingredients are measured to point that the person making the pizza removed 3 or 4 pieces of shredded cheese to hit the exact prescribed weight allowed. Total sticker shock. $16.00 for a standard 14" Take and Bake Pizza.

Added my own onions (saved $1.50)

My only regret is that I could have had a Connies, a Home Run Inn or a 15" Kwik Trip ($6.99 less a $2.00 coupon = $4.99).

I won't be going back to NnW's any time soon.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1