The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Great seafood in or around Buffalo, N.Y.

Valpo Mike

• Total Posts: 9
Great seafood in or around Buffalo, N.Y. Wed, 08/15/07 3:35 PM (permalink)
Hi Group,

Since Buffalo, N.Y. is closer to the big water, can I find great sea food places, unlike here in the midwest? I love clams, and several years ago, had some of the best fresh clams, in Pa.
Tell me the best sea food places in or around Buffalo, N.Y.

Mike

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
    RE: Great seafood in or around Buffalo, N.Y. Tue, 08/21/07 8:22 AM (permalink)
    Valpo Mike..you're kidding..right? Clams in Buffalo? uh...yes it's near big water...Niagara Falls....as far as saltwater....you would need to drive due east..on I-90 across NYS and then across Massachusetts to get to the ocean...

I'm sure you can get clams there...but you might be better off with freshwater fish in a fish fry...or maybe even wings...after all..it is Buffalo...and there's the Anchor Bar

BakersBoy

• Total Posts: 302
      RE: Great seafood in or around Buffalo, N.Y. Tue, 08/21/07 8:48 AM (permalink)
      Too All,

There are such things as freshwater clams. They do exist in the "Big Water", known as Lake Erie or Ontario. In Buffalo they also have fried oysters,oyster bakes and oyster stew . The best "Lake Food" can be found at any number of places especially on a Friday. That would include lake perch, pike, bass, muskie, trout and coho salmon. You could try the Four Seasons in Eggertsville or if you have a car drive down to Sunset Bay near Silver Creek. There are for or five excellent restaurants there. If you are really brave go another 12 miles to Helwigs in Dunkirk and have a wonderful fish fry. If I were you I would stay away from the Anchor Bar. Over the past ten years they have turned into a tourist trap.

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
        RE: Great seafood in or around Buffalo, N.Y. Tue, 08/21/07 9:38 AM (permalink)
        Thanks BakersBoy...I never heard of freshwater clams..perhaps brackish water...but never freshwater....so I hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm sure there are better wing joints nowadays..as Anchor has gotten to famous for it's britches....and I would love to try all those freshwater fish....

Valpo Mike...give us a report when you return so I can then drool.

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
          RE: Great seafood in or around Buffalo, N.Y. Sun, 03/29/09 9:36 PM (permalink)
          Just adding some info to an old thread.... La Marina in Buffalo, on 1503 Hertel Ave., is pretty good for seafood. In fact, it could well be the only non-chain and non-sushi restaurant in Buffalo that focuses on seafood that's not fried.

If chains are okay with you, there's Red Lobster and Bonefish Grill out in the burbs, but I'm not sure how good they are.

There are several good sushi places in the Buffalo area, but Kuni's in the Elmwood District is the best and has the freshest seafood.

Fried seafood is quite popular in Buffalo, and the Friday fish fry has cult status there. Papa Jake's (1672 Elmwood) has a very good fish fry, but expect a long wait.

GeoNit

• Total Posts: 378
            RE: Great seafood in or around Buffalo, N.Y. Tue, 03/31/09 11:20 AM (permalink)
            My favorite Friday fish fry is at Wiechecs Lounge at 1748 Clinton Street in South Buffalo.

http://foodpage.us/617054?showmap=1&toz=

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com