Great suprise last night!

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6171
2014/04/10 17:45:27 (permalink)

Great suprise last night!

I made a Meat Loaf last night. Cooked it in a glass Pyrex pan. I was making Gravy, made the roux, had the pan on a low flame, started to add the 1/2 & 1/2. the pan literally exploded as I was stirring, by some complete miracle, it exploded out, not up, 10 billion shards of glass, almost gravy, everywhere, I didn't get a speck on me, even my hands which were right there, nothing. It was fun cleaning up, not. Damn I was lucky!
I didn't think Pyrex reacted like that, any comments?

12 Replies Related Threads

rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1014
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/10 17:52:56 (permalink)
    I don't think you are supposed to cook with Pyrex over a direct flame/burner.

You aren't supposed to broil with it, either, though I have done that many times to brown the top of a casserole with no problems -- yet.

Apparently you aren't the only one to have had this experience, according to Consumer Reports, but Pyrex disputes it.
    https://www.worldkitchen.com/the-truth-about-pyrex.html

post edited by rumaki - 2014/04/10 17:59:18
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/10 21:52:46 (permalink)
    If you were using pyrex on a stovetop........or.put a really hot pyrex dish onto a cold counter, like marble or granite...maybe even synthetics like corian...you're lucky you didn't lose an eye
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10080
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/10 23:35:11 (permalink)
    Was It an authentic "Pyrex" dish or a knock-off?
    I've heard of non-Pyrex dishes doing that.
    I believe someone else posted a similar problem like this a while ago.
    Also:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_use_a_glass_Pyrex_baking_dish_on_top_of_a_stove

What breaks Pyrex?
    Direct exposure to firePutting it directly on an open flame. If you do it accidentally, let it cool thoroughly before using. I did it once, left it for 5 minutes, then poured room-temperature soup into it and it shattered. The same thing will happen if you put hot pyrex down in a wet (cool) sink.Also putting it directly onto a stove burner. My mother did this once by accident (forgetting the burner was hot) and it exploded, throwing glass shards all over the room. Very dangerous.    Additional hazardsThere are a couple of other things you need to avoid. Shock will break Pyrex, just as it breaks any glass product. Glass is inherently brittle, and will not respond kindly to concentrated force. Lastly, if a Pyrex piece is scratched in the right way, it will break spontaneously. We often see older Pyrex wares with lots of little scratches in them. But a scratch presents what is called a stress riser in the glass. It is a place a break can "start" in that piece of Pyrex, and a scratch weakens the overall structure at that point. Dropping a heavy spoon into a scratched bowl might be all it takes to propagate a crack.
    And in addition:
    http://myths.answers.com/other/keeping-pyrex-from-exploding
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/04/10 23:45:10
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7762
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/11 01:39:49 (permalink)
    I've read several articles about exploding Pyrex.

But...  I think it may have been the adding of the cold 1/2 & 1/2 to the hot pan that triggered the explosion.

I had one explode Thanksgiving.  Exploded in to smithereens as it hit the porcelain tile floor.  My fault.
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 993
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/11 09:31:08 (permalink)
    Pyrex and those darned Corelle plates. You'll keep finding little slivers for months.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1838
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/11 11:17:03 (permalink)
    I was told by my Mom as a teenager to not use pyrex on the stovetop ever.  If it's hot and you add in ingredients from the fridge ot even room temp it'll shatter.  I took that advise to heart and use them for oven only.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3989
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/11 11:34:30 (permalink)
    Pyrex (and Corningware) are for baking, not cooking.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6171
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/11 11:51:36 (permalink)
    After hearing all of the above, Pyrex should not be on the Market, way to dangerous, I should have known this, I sure didn't!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/11 11:53:27 (permalink)
    The only piece of Corningware I can think of that can have a flame under it is the stovetop percolator coffeepot. I found one deep in the recesses of the house I'm living in now, but I won't bother to try to use it. It should fetch a nice price on ebay, though.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3436
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/11 11:58:54 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

After hearing all of the above, Pyrex should not be on the Market, way to dangerous, I should have known this, I sure didn't!

It's perfectly safe, as long as you use it how it's intended. I've been using the same 9x13 Pyrex glass baking dish for over 20 years. I put cold food into it, I bake it, I set it on hot pads when it comes out of the oven. No cooking on the stove (especially not over an open flame), no adding cold ingredients later...no problem.
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 993
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/11 15:51:34 (permalink)
    What is it about Pyrex that even when it's screaming hot, I feel like I can touch it when looking at it? Is it just me? I can't count how many times I've grabbed onto a hot pyrex casserole, but never a metal one.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3989
    Re:Great suprise last night! 2014/04/11 19:29:33 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Here's the deal:

1)  Pyrex is basically tempered glass and has a crystalline structure.  Any etching caused by use will weaken its structure.  (That's why even diamonds can be cleaved). 

This happened to Mrs. Metro III while once taking an otherwise peaceful bath.  The shower enclosure shattered spontaneously into little nuggets.  Despite extreme alarm, no blood flowed.  But, the clean-up was a delicate procedure:  hair, ears, navel, nether regions, etc.

2)  In the oven (intended use) the heat rise in the vessel is uniform.  On the stove, the heat differential between the base and the rim is extreme, causing faults (see above) to fracture suddenly, leading to 'system failure'.

I can only imagine the mess!

(And the shock & awe!)" /> 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1