Green Beans

Author
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
2005/10/21 09:16:11 (permalink)

Green Beans

Hello All,
When I was growing up, we had green beans 4 out of 7 suppers a week.
When I married my wife 22 yrs ago, green beans went out the window, except on certain holidays, and then they were basically thrown in a pot of hot water for 2 minutes and served half raw. Sorry, my family cooked them long and with ham. My wife says we made them the german way, while she prefers them crisp and fresh.
Recently, I cooked my green beans with chopped up (already cooked) chicken livers, and the flavor was great.
How do you like your green beans? And what dishes do you like with them? I love mashed potatoes and the meat that is in front of me.
I have even made green bean sandwiches, sprinkled richly with black pepper.
Take care,
Fieldthistle

28 Replies Related Threads

linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/21 09:47:43 (permalink)
    I have a lot of green beans in my freezer from the garden this year.
    My all time favorite is with bacon, onion, vingegar and sugar.
    I'm told this is German, it's like German potato salad, only with the beans.
    I also like to make green beans with sourcream, cheddar cheese and butter.
    bethgrd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 320
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/21 10:14:04 (permalink)
    saute chopped fresh garlic and ginger lightly in canola oil; add washed beans and stir fry on high heat till crisp tender. at last minute, add 1 tsp toasted sesame oil, 1 tb lite tamari, and 2 tb good hoisin sauce. beth
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/21 10:18:39 (permalink)
    Fry up some salt pork, put in green beans, coarsly chopped onion, diced new potatoes, barely cover with water, s & p. Cook til potatoes are tender.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/21 10:34:54 (permalink)
    I like my veggies well done, thank you, or else raw with a dip or salad dressing. I think "crisp-tender" was invented by someone who was in a hurry and didn't want to take the time to properly cook veggies. Green beans (which I eat some type of at least once a week) I like cooked with real bacon bits, onion flakes, black pepper and butter. I even doctor the green bean casserole recipe, adding real bacon bits, onion flakes and shredded swiss cheese.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/21 10:49:58 (permalink)
    Slowly cook green beans with a ham bone, some extra ham meat, diced onion and a bit of celery, black pepper, (you won't need salt) and half water and half chicken broth. Cook them for about 2 hours. About 1/2 hour before done, add some quartered potatoes, red are best. Have a little Crystal sauce, maybe some biscuits or cornbread on the side.

Good eatin', Jethro.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/21 11:35:43 (permalink)
    Slow cooking is wonderful and who can complain about the flavor of good old pig meat---BUT---i must admit--i am not impressed by vegies that have been boiled to death! Folks---green beans do NOT have to be cooked to the consistacy of baby food to be edible!!! Granted---green bean cassarole IS wonderfull--but i for one LIKE to see GREEN beans---not some grey mass of mush! One of my favorites is fresh beans--french split---steamed tender and then stirfried quickly with butter or evo and garlic!!! and as for Canned green beans------AAARRRHHHGGG!!!!!! After raising some truly fine heirloom beans---NEVER again will i allow the canned ones in my home! Thank the food goods for my vacumm bagger and a good freezer!
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/21 12:07:04 (permalink)
    I'll agree with tiki that methods of preserving fresh flavor and color, cooking very quickly while retaining some crispness, are excellent. I love broccoli, cabbage, asparagus, zuchinni, etc, this way. Even green beans. Excellent points.

I've never been a huge fan of the green bean casserole around the holidays....but it's a tradition, just about everywhere. Just like marshmallow on sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving. Blech!

My country roots, however, dictate home-style rural cooking, especially when fall weather approaches. Bring on the comfort food.
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/21 13:02:37 (permalink)
    My dear departed Alabama-born Grandmother cooked her green beans to DEATH. Simmering them forever with some diced-up bacon. Is this a southern thing? She thought she was fixing me a treat - I ate them to be polite.
    My Nana was an Indiana farmgirl and we always looked forward to receiving a shipment of "Nana beans", home-canned from Nana's garden.
    I prefer the french-cut if I have to do frozen ones. The best batch I ever did were steamed slightly (crisp-tender, I guess), with tiny pearl onions, then topped with almond slivers just before serving. I was soooooo proud of myself for thinking this up all on my own. (I was a strictly-by-the-recipe-only cook at the time )
    Never, never canned! Yechh - they're not even the right shade of green. (Unless they are home-canned - see above.)
    Isn't it against the law not to have the green bean casserole at Thanksgiving? Just don't make it with canned beans...
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/21 13:27:43 (permalink)
    If I am having oriental food, then crispy green beans are okay. But I prefer them cooked a long time flavored with pork, onion, and black pepper over cornbread (NO SUGAR ADDED) with some Vidalia onion chopped up over the top. This goes well with just about anything, and can serve as a main course as far as I'm concerned. Especially if you throw a chunk of pork and some potatoes in with the beans at the appropriate times.

Green bean casserole for me needs to be made with canned French style beans and lots of FF onion rings. Frozen green beans are a waste of space.

Alice
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/21 23:44:24 (permalink)
    Im not crazy about greenbeans unless its french cut. Heated then a dollop of butter and a splash of wine vinager....
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/22 00:34:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

I like my veggies well done, thank you, or else raw with a dip or salad dressing. I think "crisp-tender" was invented by someone who was in a hurry and didn't want to take the time to properly cook veggies.

You should try taking some Kentucky Wonder pole beans, trimming off just the ends, steaming them at high temp for just a few minutes, then putting them immediately in some ice water.

Saute some fresh garlic in evoo and sesame oil, throw in those beans and let them get hot. Sprinkle with course-ground sea salt, then SERVE.

You might change your mind...
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/22 00:58:33 (permalink)
    It is funny that you should mention Kentucky Wonders. My Father was born in Leitchfield, KY, and while he was alive he always raised Kentucky Wonders in our garden in Illinois. It was his family's recipe for green beans that got me enjoying "over-cooked" green beans. He always had Mother cook them with bacon and he always felt they were better re-heated the next day.

I never have had them with garlic sauteed in sesame and olive oil, so I will have to try that.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/24 11:05:27 (permalink)
    I like green beans barely cooked, almost raw.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18489
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/24 12:15:22 (permalink)
    I like green beans on someone else's plate.
    Phishmonger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 217
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/24 12:44:43 (permalink)
    My Mom would cook them in boiling water with hunks of salt pork, until the beans were very well done, and the pork also. I hadn't thought of this in years (probably just as well), but I remember that I enjoyed the salt pork just as much as the beans.
    corabeth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/27 10:37:29 (permalink)
    Being a GRIT(Girl Raised in the South),I think there is only one way to cook green beans. Take 4-5 slices of salt pork(bacon if salt pork is not available), put in pot,saute pork to render the fat,add the beans,lightly add salt and liberally pepper,1-2 teaspoons of sugar(I put sugar in corn and peas also),medium onion cut into chunks(not diced),bring to boil, turn down to simmer,cover & cook until DONE. DONE is not a gray mush, but also not crisp. When the chunks of onion are soft & tender, then the beans will be done also.

Quick cooking green beans can also be delicious. I get frozen Haricots verts at Trader Joe's. I saute them in olive oil with garlic and splah on some good balsalmic vinger right before serving.

But, when my family want green beans, they have to made the southern way.
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/27 11:36:50 (permalink)
    I grew up on green beans cooked until very soft, with onion and bacon. I still love them like that. But just this past Saturday I enjoyed green beans in a restaurant that were cooked tender-crisp, served at room temperature with sesame oil, sesame seeds, and cashews. They were delicious!

Cindy
    laststandchili
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/27 12:05:35 (permalink)
    Growing up it was fresh beans in season in a big pot with ham, maybe a few potatoes and overcooked. Into bowls without too much pot liqour and annointed with italian dressing. Makes me miss grandma.
    Lately I've been draining a couple cans (I know...Heresy) and throwing them into a deep skillet with olive oil, some fine chopped garlic and a couple tablespoons of pimentos, or roasted red pepper fine chopped. Give'em a couple good flips till heated through and finish with a little fresh ground black pepper. Nice quick side.
    trolasater
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/27 14:21:24 (permalink)
    Most of my family were descendants of English or Scots - Irish settlers in North Central North Carolina (around Durham). They traditionally overcooked green beans with country ham hocks and added new (red) potatoes to the pot towards the end of cooking. One branch was supposedly German. Although none of them spoke German, the older members would refer to foods by their German names, such as calling livermush "lieberkase". Their German style of cooking green beans was overcooking with country ham hocks, but cutting white sweet corn directly from the cob into the pot just before the end of cooking.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/27 14:48:17 (permalink)
    I notice almost all these posts call for vegetables to have some sort of fat added to them and/or meat. I really find it curious, almost as if a lot of people had parents who felt the need to disguise the flavors of vegetables to get their kids to eat them.

My parents almost never diguised vegetables, and I find that I prefer it that way. I like fried foods and fattening foods as much as the next person, but with veggies I like them simple and tasteful. I like the taste of vegetables and never find the need to add fat and meat to gussy them up.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/28 15:09:59 (permalink)
    corabeth, I'm also a GRIT, and your method of cooking green beans (which we usually call "snaps")is right on. I would only add that the cooking temperature is right when the liquid barely moves, but the snaps do not move, Occasionally turn the whole batch over with a spatula instead of stirring.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/29 08:34:27 (permalink)
    Thinking about green beans makes me laugh! My in-laws live in Peoria Illinois and cook very bland and unimagiative foods, no spices of any kind. When we go there we tend to go to Trader Joes at home first so we can bring food we can eat and they won't try. MIL and SIL always make the "tradional" green bean caserole, I believe it comes from the Campbell's soup can. One year the 2 of them got in to a very heated argument because my SIL only had a can of Golden Cream of Mushroom soup and my MIL insisted she was ruining the casserole because it should be regular cream of mushroom soup. She wouldn't even eat it! Nope, it was ruined!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/29 09:59:05 (permalink)

Ingredients
    1 pound Green Beans, fresh, raw, with tips off
    1/4 lb Bacon, chopped
    1 tsp Basil, chopped
    1/2 tsp Oregano, chopped
    4 oz Mozzarella

Preparation
    1. Wash your green beans, taking off the tips. Steam them until tender, set aside.
    2. Fry up bacon until crisp. Leave the fat in the pan with bacon.
    3. Add the steamed beans into the fry pan and mix the bacon with green beans, scrapping off remainder of bacon of bottom of pan. Add spices. Put into casserole dish. Top with Mozzarella chees. You can cut into circles, shred. I like it all over.
    4.Put in oven until cheese melts and starts to bubble. Make sure not to overcook, it will make your beans tough. Serve hot.

Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Green Beans 2005/10/31 19:11:13 (permalink)
    One of my favorite ways to prepare green beans is stewed with dill, tomato, and onion. I got this from the Joy of Cooking. Basically, saute a chopped onion till translucent, then add beans and tomatoes (I usually use frozen beans and canned tomatoes and I've had no complaints), and some dill, fresh if you've got it, plus salt and pepper to taste. It stews up in half an hour or so and it's just delicious.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Green Beans 2005/11/01 06:34:37 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Adjudicator, beautiful photo and looks tasty.
    Will try it. Thanks.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Green Beans 2005/11/01 07:51:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hiram Callahan

One of my favorite ways to prepare green beans is stewed with dill, tomato, and onion. I got this from the Joy of Cooking. Basically, saute a chopped onion till translucent, then add beans and tomatoes (I usually use frozen beans and canned tomatoes and I've had no complaints), and some dill, fresh if you've got it, plus salt and pepper to taste. It stews up in half an hour or so and it's just delicious.

One of our favorite recipes for green beans is a little like the above one. An older Italian lady made it for me when I was a child. She knew how much I loved it. When she died, her daughter gave me the recipe which I still used and love.

All it really consists of is making a marinara sauce and throwing in the beans (in the winter I use the small French style ones from Trader Joe's.) and small meatballs. Let slowly simmer until beans and meat balls are done and serve with crusty Italian bread. It is a great meal.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Green Beans 2005/11/11 18:05:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stlouisguy

Slowly cook green beans with a ham bone, some extra ham meat, diced onion and a bit of celery, black pepper, (you won't need salt) and half water and half chicken broth. Cook them for about 2 hours. About 1/2 hour before done, add some quartered potatoes, red are best. Have a little Crystal sauce, maybe some biscuits or cornbread on the side.

Good eatin', Jethro.

Hey, you been in my kitchen?... Dat's the way I like 'em too !
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Green Beans 2005/11/11 18:06:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

Im not crazy about greenbeans unless its french cut. Heated then a dollop of butter and a splash of wine vinager....

Try some wine vinegar on fresh steamed broccoli with a little butter.. thats good also...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1