Green Chile Cheeseburgers

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kangolpimp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
2003/07/15 20:03:15 (permalink)

Green Chile Cheeseburgers

I love green chile cheeseburgers. I'm a big fan of all New Mexican cuisine, really, but the green chile cheeseburger holds a special place in my culinary heart, marrying my love for the All-American hamburger to my passion for hot chiles. I usually have to make my own, because they are rarely seen outside of New Mexico and neighboring states. I'd be really interested to hear about green chile cheeseburgers that are served anywhere that is not the Southwest. I know where to get great ones in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Just need to know of possible places in the rest of the country.

I may be a cheeseburger, but what I really wanna be is a green chile cheeseburger

57 Replies Related Threads

meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/07/15 20:58:30 (permalink)
    Green chile cheeseburgers were one of my favorite "discoveries" while on vacation in Santa Fe! I think my favorite one was in a diner type place in Socorro, NM, on our way to visit the Very Large Array. It was really spicy but cooled off with some guacamole. Is that typical?
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/07/15 21:17:09 (permalink)
    I don't recall ever seeing one outside New Mexico. My fave is from[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1385']Bobcat Bite[/url]:

kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/07/15 23:11:40 (permalink)
    Here in New York we have a grocery that specializes in Mexican and Southwestern products. It's called Kitchen Market, it's located in the Chelsea section of Manhattan, on 20th Street and 8th Avenue. They have too many great items to list in one post, but the point is to say that during New Mexican chile harvest season, they import barrel-fulls of Hatch, Sandia, and Big Jim chiles. I am a happy camper in the fall. This is the source of my chiles to make the green chile that I use on my green chile cheeseburgers. Anyone who is not so fortunate to have a source in their town can mail order from several sources in New Mexico, but I have never done so, and therefore cannot guarantee your satisfaction.

Meowzart, I'd say the guac variant exists in a few purveyors of GCC's, but it is not the classic presentation. Being really spicy is definitely typical. No place uses mild green chile.

I have had GCC's in Arizona back in the mid 1980s. That may be the only state I've seen them in outside of New Mexico.
    Nodak
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/07/16 02:20:34 (permalink)
    Owl Bar in San Antonio, New Mexico has one of the best Green Chile Cheeseburgers. It's on the main drag-can't miss it. Also for a chain, Blakes is also not bad.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/07/16 09:36:00 (permalink)
    Once I clear the Albuequerque airport and am on my way to Santa Fe, I stop, I think the town is Bernalillo, at Blakes LotaBurger to have a green chile cheese burger fix. The Owl is the best though. There are so many good places to eat in Santa Fe but for some reason I have to satisfy that gccb fix.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/07/16 10:22:33 (permalink)
    Barnaby's cafe in Houston, one of our favorite lunch spots makes a delicious one.
    Your burger is flame grilled to order, with a whole either Ancho or poblano pepper over the top of the jack cheese.

Their fries are legendary with a "secret" spicy seasoning.

There are two locations now, but the original, in the Montrose on fairview is the best.

If you ever get a chance to go there, try the salads! The Cobb salad is served to you, I swear, in a Fiesta mixing bowl. Heaps and heaps of the good stuff!
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/07/16 11:23:30 (permalink)
    I'm with Michael, having just returned from that part of the world, there are just 2 words re: Green Chile Cheeseburgers - BOBCAT BITE.
    McGriff
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/07/16 11:46:18 (permalink)
    my favorite, and it has been years, was from the Rocky Mountain Oyster at Teton Villiage, Jackson Hole Wyoming and was called "The Gut Buster." It consisted of burger, white cheese (swiss?), butter toasted bread with caraway seeds, grilled onions and chilies. It was a sloppy wonderful mess. I don't think it is on the menu anymore, but is easily replicated at home.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/09/25 07:29:42 (permalink)
    I also love New Mexico and the Chiles. I visit there for much of the Winter. Nancy's in Silver City serves a pretty good albiet plain green chile burger at lunch. In my travels, I have seen burgers with green chiles on them. The 7th Street cafe in Grand Junction Colorado serves a good one with chile and a slice of cheese. Some places call the chile by the name brand of the chile packer. You can order an Ortega burger at some places I've been to, referring to Ortega brand green chile's in a can which are whole and opened up and spread on top of your burger. The Hopi Cultural Center near Tuba City Arizona spreads a green chile on their roast beef blue plate special which is served on fry bread, then smothered with brown gravy.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/09/25 10:19:08 (permalink)
    O.k. so are the green chilies of the canned vartiety or fresh? If fresh, how do you prepare them pryor to putting them on the burger/under the cheese. I love spicy stuff and this looks right up my alley. Think I'd like to add some grilled onions as well, maybe mushrooms too. Geez, that's 9 lb burger material! Does anyone ever "stuff" their burgers? I like to make two LARGE patties, thinner than ones you'd grill. On one patty, I place thin slices of mushrooms, onion, cheese of choice. Place other patty on top, pushing down slightly and pinch edges together well to prevent separation of the patties. Then grill. Oh so yummy. A real art form in my world. Sometimes I'll spend 10 minutes on one burger as to get it just right.

Also, I'd like to take this time to apologize for all of my spelling errors, I NEVER proofread, except projects for my Boss, never miss an error there. That I've been told about anyhow......
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/09/25 14:25:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

O.k. so are the green chilies of the canned vartiety or fresh? If fresh, how do you prepare them pryor to putting them on the burger/under the cheese. I love spicy stuff and this looks right up my alley. Think I'd like to add some grilled onions as well, maybe mushrooms too. Geez, that's 9 lb burger material! Does anyone ever "stuff" their burgers? I like to make two LARGE patties, thinner than ones you'd grill. On one patty, I place thin slices of mushrooms, onion, cheese of choice. Place other patty on top, pushing down slightly and pinch edges together well to prevent separation of the patties. Then grill. Oh so yummy. A real art form in my world. Sometimes I'll spend 10 minutes on one burger as to get it just right.

Also, I'd like to take this time to apologize for all of my spelling errors, I NEVER proofread, except projects for my Boss, never miss an error there. That I've been told about anyhow......

OK Rusty, you got my mouth watering with the stuffed burgers. I could use a ceremony like that tonight for dinner. Great Idea!!! As far as the green chiles go, the canned ones are the ones i usually find being used on a burger. They are usually mild green New Mexican or sometimes called Anaheim peppers. They have had the tough outer skin removed and are quite plyable. Fresh green chiles are roasted or burnt to remove this outer skin. This is blackened by fire then peeled off to reveal a fleshy green pepper. These would make wonderful burgers in this condition and you can get them in hotter varieties than the canned ones. I can give anyong more info about these peppers if you want it.I travel to the chile festival in Hatch, New Mexico often. E-mail me if you want.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/09/25 14:47:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for your help! I've never roasted peppers but work with several people that have. Plus working for PBS, I've seen lots of cooking shows, via the TV right above my computer...I know rough huh? I'll give the green chili's a try, but may want to venture forward. Also, did I note a touch of salsa on that burger up there? Surely is WAS NOT ketchup! Goodluck with the burgers, I think you'll really enjoy them, variations are enormous. Just something about everything cooking inside your burger rather than out that's just down right tasty. I don't always grill them this way, it's about half and half though. I like to add a couple tablespoons steak sauce to my meat along with the spices before assembling. Get nothing less than ground chuck. Afterall you will be creating your own masterpiece that should include good quality meat. I'd like to hear if you should try different combos for sure.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/09/25 16:06:00 (permalink)
    Just to be pedantic, New Mexico chiles aren't Anaheims: they're similarly shaped, but the various NM chiles run larger and hotter.

Bobcat Bite is great, but I have to agree with Nodak: the Owl in San Antonio NM is the original and still the best.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/09/25 17:05:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Just to be pedantic, New Mexico chiles aren't Anaheims: they're similarly shaped, but the various NM chiles run larger and hotter.

Bobcat Bite is great, but I have to agree with Nodak: the Owl in San Antonio NM is the original and still the best.

I must admit, I had to look up "pedantic" and still don't know what it means. I humbly stand corrected as far as the monikers of the chiles. Anaheims are NOT New Mexican. Where in Albuquerque is Bobcat Bite? I'll be through there on my sojourn Soputh in November. I gotta try it!
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/09/25 17:27:17 (permalink)
    It's not in Albuquerque: it's on the Old Las Vegas Highway (yes, that's the name of the highway) just outside of Santa Fe.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2003/09/28 08:15:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

I don't recall ever seeing one outside New Mexico. My fave is from[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1385']Bobcat Bite[/url]:

Now THATS a BURGER!!!Please pass the Tabasco&ketcup!!
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/04/06 03:58:47 (permalink)
    Wow, been perusing this board for about 4 months now, and just found this thread. I epitomize the green chile junkie, and of course love cheeseburgers. The marriage of the two is heaven on earth to put it 'mildly'. I may be biased but this statement is way off:
    quote:
    Originally posted by kangolpimp

Being really spicy is definitely typical. No place uses mild green chile.

I find most places (especially those in Santa Fe), tend to use milder chile to cater to (Uninitiated) tourist tastes. I find this to be true at most burger places and more often then not in upscale 10 bucks+ joints. I haven't tried Bobcat bite, so can't say if it would be more typical of the "heat" of you're average GCC. Admittedly living in New Mexico you tend to develope a certain chile "tolerance" but even when my out of state relatives visit they tend to wanna try my recommendations as opposed to the typical Blake's Green Chile Cheeseburger. Don't get me wrong...Blake's has great GCC's but they tend to be VERY tame. Also the variation thing is expansive...as with any Hamburger based sandwich. The main variation of green chile cheeseburgers though, is the way the chile is prepared. Seventy-five percent of the time when you order a GCC you will get a typical cheeseburger with regular accompaniments + roasted, chopped green chile, either from a can or thawed from frozen (frozen always has a better taste, cuz no added ascorbic acid which changes the taste, but fresh is always the best ). Another twenty percent of the time you'll get green chile sauce, which usually consists of a flour or cornstarch thickened gravy like consistency sauce with green chile and possibly tomatoes. The final five percent or the time, you'll end up with green chile Stew on your burger. My personal preference is for green chile sauce, made with VERY hot green chile. This tends to be very messy to eat, and equally enjoyable!

One other variation is the RED chile cheeseburger which usually comes with a plain hamburger cheese and red chile sauce. Red chile sauce is either mild or extremely hot...I haven't found anything available in between.

Cheese types range from jack, pepperjack, and orange cheddar, with american or orange cheddar being the most typical.

Heat is not the main reason to enjoy a GGC, but it's an essential aspect of the experience if you ask the average New Mexican.

I know I mentioned it in another thread here somewhere but, Bob's Burger, a small local chain here in Albuquerque, makes a very tasty (HOT) GCC. I highly recommend them for a "Classic" GCC taste. The Ranchero Supreme...drool

I probably have more points to make but this is becoming a novel.
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/04/06 09:02:32 (permalink)
    Since I'm assuming that I won't find a good GCC on a menu anywhere in the Northeast, can anyone recommend a good jarred/canned/frozen chile available in most supermarkets?
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/04/06 09:30:05 (permalink)
    I'd have to recommend 505 for green chile sauce, tis an excellent product for burgers. They have a nice reasonable shipping policy.

http://www.505chile.com/

There is also Bueno chile which is what is typically available frozen, at the supermarket here in NM, for an ok price. I saw the prices on they're website and almost did a backflip....outrageous. Their jarred sauces aren't even on the shelves of any supermarket I've seen, and I go to everyone in Albuquerque looking for stuff. Their green chile is good, but unless you're rich I'd go for canned Ortega Chile before spending 45.00 shipping.

Here's their web addy anyway:

http://www.buenofoods.com/

Hope this helps!

If it doesn't make you laugh...it'll at least make yah cry

Oh yeah um Ortega canned Green chile is the only bet you'll have at finding green chile in NE, unless by some fluke green chiles are imported by some chilehead who got there before me, somebody tell me I'm wrong.
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/04/06 09:58:55 (permalink)
    The Owl Bar is in San Antonio, New Mexico. It is about 10 miles south of Soccoro not far from the entrance to the northern end of White Sands and the entrance to the Bosque del Apache, a really cool Federal Park. (By the way the breakfast burittos at White Sands are the best that I have ever had.) I believe that they also have GCC at Virgil's and Blue Smoke in Manhattan.
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/04/07 13:45:43 (permalink)
    Hey, Green Chile, thanks for the help. Geez, you weren't kidding about the S & H charges! I don't want to refinance my house just to buy some frozen chiles!
    And BakersBoy, thanks for the head's up about Virgil's and Blue Smoke. I don't know why it never would have occurred to me to look for a GCC in Manhattan!
    clemspal
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/05/30 15:08:26 (permalink)
    i first stumbled into the owl , back in the fall of '73 . i had no idea what i'd found . topfilght , though "the word on the street" is , that the place acrosss the stree is even better . how would i know ??? i don't see myself ever going there . the owl has it all !!!

it turns out , the guys i cook for these days do the same science as the boys & girls at the vla , and therefor , they have all eaten at the owl , at some point in their carreers . i get LOTS of takers on days wehn the menu features " Owl Burgers" . i just use canned chile , but instead of adding a dollop to the top of the burger , i add it right into the meat .

my question is , why doesn't anyone make a red chile burger ??? using the same "gravy" as you'd use to make your enchiladas ........
    clemspal
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/05/30 15:10:52 (permalink)
    by the way , go WAY out of your way to go to The Diner , in tres piedras , nm . have a green chile burger , a slice of blackberry pie , a cup of farmer's brothers coffee ,and watch life at the center of the universe go by .
    paoconnell
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/07/18 13:10:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Green_Chile

I'd have to recommend 505 for green chile sauce, tis an excellent product for burgers. They have a nice reasonable shipping policy.

http://www.505chile.com/

There is also Bueno chile which is what is typically available frozen, at the supermarket here in NM, for an ok price. I saw the prices on they're website and almost did a backflip....outrageous. Their jarred sauces aren't even on the shelves of any supermarket I've seen, and I go to everyone in Albuquerque looking for stuff. Their green chile is good, but unless you're rich I'd go for canned Ortega Chile before spending 45.00 shipping.

Here's their web addy anyway:

http://www.buenofoods.com/

Hope this helps!

If it doesn't make you laugh...it'll at least make yah cry

Oh yeah um Ortega canned Green chile is the only bet you'll have at finding green chile in NE, unless by some fluke green chiles are imported by some chilehead who got there before me, somebody tell me I'm wrong.

I lived in Albuquerque for 16 years. Some pointers:

Look for frozen green chile from the Albuquerque Tortilla Company, which is found at grocery stores in much of the Southwest (including Las Vegas NV, where I live), along with Bueno.

Most green chile on burgers in NM is previously frozen. You'll only get fresh green chile in July to October, as that's when the chiles are harvested and roasted. I believe even the Owl Bar in San Antonio NM uses frozen green chile most of the year.

Best green chile burgers I've had were at the Owl, the Los Ojos Bar in Jemez Springs, NM, and Evatt's in Magdalena. There's also an old fashined drive-in on the main road in Espanola with great burgers, but I can't remember the name.

Blake's Lotaburger is everywhere in NM and is consistently good (the green chile is usually mild), and the 66 Diner and the Frontier are also good.
    BigMoney Gripp
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/07/19 21:16:12 (permalink)
    I would also add that Manny's Buckhorn in San Antonio (practically right across the street from The Owl Bar) also has an excellent green chile cheeseburger. Not nearly as well-heralded, but having had GCCBs at both places, I'd be hard-pressed to pick which one was "better."

The chile cheese fries, however, were much better at Manny's.
    sweetgherkin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/07/20 00:04:57 (permalink)
    Not a burger, but I love the Santa Fe chicken sandwiches here:

http://www.wedonthaveone.com/writeups.htm

The Moon Time and The Elk are nice spots to stop if you ever find yourself in Eastern Washington/North Idaho.
    geomotz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/07/20 00:21:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

It's not in Albuquerque: it's on the Old Las Vegas Highway (yes, that's the name of the highway) just outside of Santa Fe.

go to their website... www.bobcatbite.com
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2004/07/27 13:33:58 (permalink)
    This series brings back memories. I grew up in northwest New Mexico (Farmington) and left there over twenty years ago for Georgia. Shortly before leaving New Mexico I heard the following from a friend:

He was heading east on US 64 one evening on his motorcycle. A deer jumped in front of him and he swerved to miss it. The result was that he went through a barbed wire fence and ended up with a badly broken jaw. His mouth was wired shut for eighteen months. During that time, he became used to a fluid diet - but could never get over that craving for a green chile cheeseburger. Finally, after about fifteen months without said burger - he put one through a blender and sucked it up through a straw. Very satisfying was his comment.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers 2007/07/24 11:46:15 (permalink)
    Great article on green chile cheeseburgers in Southern New Mexico:[url='http://www.sabroso-magazine.com/html/culinarytraveler.html']Six Sinful Burgers[/url]. Rouxdog beware: the Outpost in Carrizozo garnered honorable mention.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1