Green Chile Ice Cream

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2006/08/16 22:54:48 (permalink)

Green Chile Ice Cream

Yes, I finally did find it. Roasted Green Chile Ice Cream! And it was delicious, really. Premium vanilla, with just a little bite.

www.tarasorganic.com

Made by Tara Esperanza, a young Hispanic woman who began with a home ice cream maker and now has put together an interesting assortment of gourmet organic ice creams.

Including:

Basil
Blueberry Mint
Cinnamon
Coconut Sorbet
Garam Masala
Hibiscus Granita (new!)
Japanese Green Tea
Lavender (new!)
Lemongrass
Mango Ginger
Orange Cashew
Pandan
Peanut Butter
Roasted Banana Sorbet
Roasted Green Chile
Sage
Sweet Corn (new!)
Turkish Coffee
Uly's Spiced Pumpkin
Vanilla
White Pepper Chocolate Chip

I'm glad to be visiting New Mexico this summer!

8 Replies Related Threads

xannie_01
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Green Chile Ice Cream 2006/08/16 23:37:13 (permalink)
    NYNM,
    why are you leaving????
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Green Chile Ice Cream 2006/08/17 00:18:17 (permalink)
    Durham, NC has a shop -- Locopops -- that has done much the same with popcicles. In addition to a chile popsicle, they also have one that mixes vanilla cream and black pepper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locopops
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Green Chile Ice Cream 2006/08/17 00:35:24 (permalink)
    No Comment.. Probably the reason being I've never had the nerve to try something like this. Someone says they have Vanilla Ice Cream with fresh scraped vanilla, or fresh fruit added is another thing. But Green Chiles???? hmmmm... Again, my palate may be lacking here..
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Green Chile Ice Cream 2006/08/18 01:01:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

No Comment.. Probably the reason being I've never had the nerve to try something like this. Someone says they have Vanilla Ice Cream with fresh scraped vanilla, or fresh fruit added is another thing. But Green Chiles???? hmmmm... Again, my palate may be lacking here..

Actually, it tasted very good. Sort of "sophisticated" in a way. Very rich creamy vanilla wih a bit of spiciness. I've also tried their garam masala, which was also a vanilla with these East Indian spices. Like a complex cinnamon taste. I am surpised how these "odd" flavors make for good taste.

Has anyone else tastsd an "eccentric" IC flavor taht was really good?
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Green Chile Ice Cream 2006/08/21 12:06:19 (permalink)
    Not to beat a dead horse (or dead chile)but I went back to Tara's and tried some even more new flavors: green chile with pistachio, red mole ("a flavor with 27 Mexican spice; goes good with our sweet corn ice cream")
    This place is a little wierd, no? Sort of like Ice Cream for main courses! But, interestingly, they do taste good!
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Green Chile Ice Cream 2006/08/21 12:38:41 (permalink)
    I went to Caliche's, a local ice cream parlor here in Las Cruces, (also some locations in El Paso) and tried Green Chile Ice Cream, about 2 months ago. I love green chiles, I'll do them with any dish. I figured, why not ice cream? Well, after about 15 minutes finishing my custard with green chile topping, I have to say I almost yakked. As it was, the topping laid me low for the remainder of the evening. Perhaps I just got a bad topping because it was so infrequently ordered, but more likely it was because the topping was inauthentic. It was filled with artificial flavoring. I don't believe I ate one real bite of green chile. The only reason I forced myself to finish it was because I couldn't justify wasting 3 dollars on it.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Green Chile Ice Cream 2006/08/21 13:07:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tamandmik

I went to Caliche's, a local ice cream parlor here in Las Cruces, (also some locations in El Paso) and tried Green Chile Ice Cream, about 2 months ago. I love green chiles, I'll do them with any dish. I figured, why not ice cream? Well, after about 15 minutes finishing my custard with green chile topping, I have to say I almost yakked. As it was, the topping laid me low for the remainder of the evening. Perhaps I just got a bad topping because it was so infrequently ordered, but more likely it was because the topping was inauthentic. It was filled with artificial flavoring. I don't believe I ate one real bite of green chile. The only reason I forced myself to finish it was because I couldn't justify wasting 3 dollars on it.

We have a Caliche's here too...and I also ordered the green chili topping..it was wonderful! real chunks of green chilis..I think mine had mango in it too..I'll try anything once...
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Green Chile Ice Cream 2006/08/22 14:06:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tamandmik

Tamandmik: See if you can get the Tara's Organic I've mentioned. It comes from Santa Fe, they might have it somewhere in Cruces. Their green chile i.c. was good (w/o pistaschios). As a chile addict you deserves another chance!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1