Green Chile With Pork in Colorado

Author
lcfame
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2006/03/02 19:03:33 (permalink)

Green Chile With Pork in Colorado

I'll be making my first trip to Colorado soon and in researching the food have noticed a Chile Verde with pork on many menus. Could anyone tell me how spicy this is likely to be? I am something of a wimp comimg from a non- spicy background. Love Mexican dishes with green tomatillo sauce, which are usually mild. Don't want to embarras myself by ordering it and having a spicy food meltdown- as happened to me once with an innocuous looking green sauce in Mexico.

Any additional food tips for Colorado appreciated- we're spending most of our time in Salida.

9 Replies Related Threads

stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: Green Chile With Pork in Colorado 2006/03/02 19:50:16 (permalink)
    Sounds like you already love Chile Verde. It's a sauce of green tomatillos and green peppers that just goes good with pork kinda like applesauce does except it is usually spicy though so I'm a little confused.
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Green Chile With Pork in Colorado 2006/03/02 23:44:49 (permalink)
    I've had it in both restaurants and had people's homemade around here, and I've got to tell you that it varies from place to place. It really depends on your palate.

There's a canned greened chile with pork that's Colorado-based that has my friends from Wisconsin buying it by the case whenever they come to visit. It's in all the local supermarkets.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Green Chile With Pork in Colorado 2006/03/04 23:41:07 (permalink)
    Chile Verde probably means tomatillos, but in south central Colorado (near New Mexico) it may mean "Green Chile" which is not tomatillo at all, but actually less ripe red chile peppers. They can be mild, medium, or hot (or very hot) depending on the variety. They are usually served finely chopped. They are also very tasty.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Green Chile With Pork in Colorado 2006/03/05 09:20:22 (permalink)
    I had some "chili verde" burrito in Frisco, Co, about 13 years ago. It was my first experience, and it wasnt all that hot. It opened doors for my tasted buds. I have got to know and love it.
    There is a place in Denver/Thornton, a hamburger stand that makes kick-a$$ green chili. Spicy as can be, and it was one of the best things that I ate last August while in Colorado.
    It was Jim's Burger Heaven in Thornton, if you are around that area.
    They may have another location.
    I have also had chunks of pork with salsa verde at another place. Robertos Little Havana in Cocoa Beach, FL. Not spicy, but very very good.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Green Chile With Pork in Colorado 2006/04/04 03:51:51 (permalink)
    The pork dish Chile Verde is just pork with tomatillos and jalapenos. As they have mentioned above, heat will vary depending on the restaurant, but it is not usually very hot.

Green salsa can be pretty hot, but usually the hottest salsa will be a very dark red.

boxley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Green Chile With Pork in Colorado 2006/04/21 07:49:15 (permalink)
    Every region in the Southwest has different versions of Chile Cerde. MOst in NM, AZ and TX are made from green chiles. Chiles come in mild to very hot. Just ask the place if it is hot or not. Usually red chili is hotter (made from red chili powder,cumin, oil etc). As you can tell I love that kind of food. New Mexican is the best!
    laststandchili
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Green Chile With Pork in Colorado 2006/04/21 09:48:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

The pork dish Chile Verde is just pork with tomatillos and jalapenos. As they have mentioned above, heat will vary depending on the restaurant, but it is not usually very hot.

Green salsa can be pretty hot, but usually the hottest salsa will be a very dark red.

Begging to differ a bit. Traditional NM recipes use Hatch type chile peppers, Sandias, etc. and generally doesn't include jalapenos, and yes heat varys by cook, from none to blazing. I had a bowl at Barrunda's Bar and Grill in Marfa, TX. last year that was made with fresh hatch chiles from Hatch, NM. very mild, but lots of chile flavor. Tender pork and potatos. Hominy is another common addition.

Color overall has very little to do with heat level in peppers or salsas. The jalapenos I grow sweeten and mellow when I allow them to ripen to full red for smoking.

Vayo con Queso
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Green Chile With Pork in Colorado 2006/04/21 10:13:42 (permalink)
    Tomatillos grow in a narrow elevation range and NM/Colorado's too high, so NM/Colorado Chile Verde is definitely Chiles. As you reach other parts of the SW, you'll find that Chile Verde changes to a Tomatillo based sauce, and frequently has Avocado blended in. Yum.
    boxley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Green Chile With Pork in Colorado 2006/04/21 10:37:50 (permalink)
    Hatch Green Chiles are the best. Everytime I go to TX or NM I pick up a bunch frozen. You can get them in 2lb bags. Last time I picked up 24lb. Good Stuff!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1