Green Pepper Dilema

Author
Rex
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
2004/01/23 18:23:38 (permalink)

Green Pepper Dilema

I have come to a point where I would like to find out if there are such a thing as "dried green peppers"? I would like to be able to have some on hand for when needed for flavoring but can't seem to find any in that form. Can anyone help with where to find them or if they can be dried and if so how.

Thanks ;)

14 Replies Related Threads

Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/23 18:54:25 (permalink)
    Type in "Drying Vegetables" in Keyword and you will find a link for the process for drying vegetables, including green bell peppers.

Doesn't sound complicated. I think also you could blanch and freeze bell peppers as any other vegetable; cut into strips of squares, blanch and freeze in small amounts for later use.

Hope it works for you.

Donna

Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/23 19:14:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Donna, will do as you suggested. I just realized here recently that out of all the things we can buy in the stores (dried vegetables) that we never see green peppers. lol Thanks again ;)
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/23 22:26:37 (permalink)
    Trader Joe's has frozen peppers. Not the same, but good in a chili in a pinch.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/23 22:52:32 (permalink)
    Rex, I buy extra green peppers when they're on sale for freezing. I wash, seed, and cut the peppers into strips and small pieces for freezing in small air-tight plastic containers. I feel the peppers work fine in cooking and they can be kept a long time. As freezing removes the crunchy-crispy texture, they wouldn't be used in salads.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/23 23:12:34 (permalink)
    For years I would dry a bunch of the Serrano Hot Peppers that I grew in the garden. In SoCal we would just put them on some foil and set them out in the courtyard to get about 12 hours of direct sun a day..2-3 days they were ready to go. Back here in Hoosierland we put them in the lowest oven setting we can get for a few days with good results. I have a small (5" across) motar and pistel 9sp?) that is used to grind them into a useable granulated powder. We have sun-dried green pepper sticks here also, but the frozen pieces have a better flavor, and are more easily included in many recipes.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/24 06:48:19 (permalink)
    I purchased a small shaker jar of Red and Green Dried peppers a few months ago from my local grocer (from their spice rack)... Not sure who makes it, would have to dig and look...

But if your intrested in doing your own drying thing, These 2 websites have free info and plans on how to build your own solar dehydrator: (Just use the search feature to find it)

www.motherearthnews.com
    www.homepower.com

Good Luck...

Oh, Lawrys is the ones that packaged the red green combo!

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/24 07:02:30 (permalink)
    Here's one of the links off HomePowers Site:
    http://www.homepower.com/files/fooddeh.pdf
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/24 16:21:31 (permalink)
    Is this the same thing as roast peppers? I like to roast green peppers and other types and peel off the skin and add to salads.

I watched a segment with Emeril the other night where he went over the uses of Poblano. They sounded very good to me.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/24 18:08:27 (permalink)
    In LA one can find dried bell peppers in grocery stores. Also:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysbellpeppers.html

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyschilipeppers.html

I've shopped at Penzey's for years. They're totally reliable, and among the only vendors to identify their products completely.
    spweimerskirch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/25 17:39:31 (permalink)
    Yo,
    Buy them in the summer when the price is at it's best, $.45 a pond or less and freeze them. key is clean and slice first. Another thing you can due is dry or dehydrate tham, to re-hydrate just soak in warm water for half and hour. Hope this helps..
    Shannon
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18947
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/25 18:14:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rex

I have come to a point where I would like to find out if there are such a thing as "dried green peppers"? I would like to be able to have some on hand for when needed for flavoring but can't seem to find any in that form. Can anyone help with where to find them or if they can be dried and if so how.

Thanks ;)

You should be able to find dried green bell peppers at restaurant supply houses. I believe McCormick has them in commercial-size plastic containers.
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/01/31 08:06:20 (permalink)
    Sorry guys for being gone for a few days and could not respond back to your posts (which are appreciated).

You know I check the grocers in my area (north carolina) and they just aren't carried (the dried ones) here in this part of the country. I wish they were. But I know with the littler peppers that you can string them up and let them dry naturally....green peppers have way too much water in them to be able to do that. So we go to alternative measures. I am limited on freezer space so freezing would have to be done in very small amounts.

I agree that summer is the best time for buying them....right now they are going for $.59 each in the stores...and they are not all that fresh looking to me.

But I do enjoy green peppers and would like to use them more often than I do.

Thanks again for all the responses.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/02/02 10:32:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

Rex, I buy extra green peppers when they're on sale for freezing. I wash, seed, and cut the peppers into strips and small pieces for freezing in small air-tight plastic containers. I feel the peppers work fine in cooking and they can be kept a long time. As freezing removes the crunchy-crispy texture, they wouldn't be used in salads.

I do the same thing, but toss the peppers in zip lock bags to freeze. You can also buy packaged,frozen, and diced green peppers or a blend of peppers in the frozen foods section.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Green Pepper Dilema 2004/02/02 10:47:43 (permalink)
    I bought huge Bell Peppers yesterday at Walmart for $0.50 each. I think they must have weighed a pound. They freeze well, roast well, taste well and BBQ well. I dice them up with onions and mix them in with my burger. Have them with my libation, raw and salted.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1