Grilled Fruit

Author
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
2004/03/24 07:46:08 (permalink)

Grilled Fruit

To celebrate my new Burger status, thought I would share some recipes for fruit that we like to make on the grill. Anyone else like to make dessert on the grill?

GRILLED STUFFED PEACHES – serves 4

4 large peaches
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1/ 3 cup quick-cooking oats
2 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
1 Tbs. finely chopped almonds
1 Tbs. butter, melted
1/ 2 tsp. cinnamon

In a large pot of boiling water, cook the whole peaches for 30 seconds. Rinse them under cold water and carefully peel the skins. Halve and pit the peaches and cut a very thin slice from the back of each so it will lie flat. In a bowl, toss the peach halves with the lemon juice.

Preheat the grill to medium heat. Combine the remaining ingredients and divide evenly, filling the centers of the peach halves. Place the filled peaches on the grill and cook, covered, for 5 or 6 minutes or until the peaches are tender. Place the peach halves on 4 plates and serve hot or warm. (161 calories per serving)

GRILLED STRAWBERRY SUNDAES

1/ 4 cup orange juice
1/ 4 cup strawberry spreadable fruit
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 pint strawberries, hulled
2 cups low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt

Preheat the grill to a medium heat. In a medium saucepan, combine the orange juice, spreadable fruit, and cornstarch. Set aside. Thread the strawberries onto 4 skewers. Grill the kebabs, turning once, for 4 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place the medium saucepan directly on the grill or on the stovetop over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 minute.

Remove the strawberries from the skewers and stir gently into the sauce mixture in the saucepan. Divide the yogurt among 4 bowls, spoon the strawberry sauce over, and serve.

Notes: Can substitute ice cream for the frozen yogurt if desired. Sauce is best when serve hot. Can also be served over sliced angel food or pound cake.

GRILLED PEARS WITH BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE – serves 4

4 large firm-ripe Anjou or Bartlett pears
3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
2 Tbs. sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk (can be evaporated skim milk)
2 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tsp. butter (not margarine or spreads)
1/ 2 tsp. vanilla extract

Peel the pears, halve lengthwise, and core. With a sharp knife, cut a very thin slice from the rounded side of each pear half so they will lie flat. In a bowl, toss the pear halves with the lime juice and sugar.

Grill the pears over medium heat for 4 minutes. Turn them over, drizzle with any remaining lime mixture, and grill for 5 minutes, or until tender.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Cook directly on the grill or stovetop over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Cook until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Divide the pears among 4 plates, drizzle with butterscotch sauce, and serve hot or warm.

6 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Grilled Fruit 2004/03/24 08:53:09 (permalink)
    Congrats, RubyRose.

Thanks for the recipes. I love grilled fruit, but I've never gotten this fancy! I'll give one a try.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Grilled Fruit 2004/03/24 09:24:31 (permalink)
    Ruby...thanks for the recipes!!! The grilled strawberries over shortcakes sounds delectable!!
    vinelady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Grilled Fruit 2004/03/24 12:04:13 (permalink)
    I enjoy grilling pineapple and basting it with a vanilla sugar syrup.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Grilled Fruit 2004/03/24 12:30:31 (permalink)
    Ruby, we take white peaches, halve them and remove the stone, place on foil and grill them over coals with oak and hickory wood. Cook 30-40 minutes them remove.

Dennis
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Grilled Fruit 2004/03/24 14:54:30 (permalink)
    Congrats RubyRose and thanks for the recipes!
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Grilled Fruit 2004/04/09 12:13:22 (permalink)
    Never heard of any of those recipes before. But I have heard about "Grilled Bananas"...never ate them but I have heard of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1