Grilled Garden Produce July 2010

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
2010/07/12 23:41:50 (permalink)

Grilled Garden Produce July 2010

We decided to break-in our new little Hibachi grill Sunday. The menu was a couple of Steaks *The Strip" side of two Porterhouses, and several skewers of our own garden squash marinated in some Italian dressing and skewered with pieces of Onion and the cut-up filet side of the Porterhouses.

It was all guess work as we had never lite-off this little grill. It worked ok, but took much longer to heat up than our big Charcoal grill.

Here is the photo record of our efforts-

1. The grill sitting near our fountain near the front porch.

2. The Steaks did quite well on the little grill.

3. We made 5 skewers using Patti-pan and Zucchini squash, Onion and bite-sized piees of the filet beef from the steaks,

4. The Grill was too small for the skewers to get enough heat. next time we'll do three of them and be just fine.

They tasted great! Here are the last two waiting their turn on our plates !!

OK, That was Sunday Supper !

5 Replies Related Threads

agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Grilled Garden Produce July 2010 2010/07/13 06:46:33 (permalink)
    Al, What a beautiful dinner. Those skewers look great!
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Grilled Garden Produce July 2010 2010/07/13 09:05:30 (permalink)
    Inspiration for tonights dinner.  Thanks!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Grilled Garden Produce July 2010 2010/07/13 10:05:56 (permalink)
    Thank you ladies. It was a simple but tastey-filling use of our garden produce.

We did steam the veggies a little to give them a head-start on the grill.  When we do this again, we'll add some chunks of Bell Pepper (Red, Yellow, and Green) and maybe substitute Red Onion for the Yellow. We've done this with Roma Tomatoes on the skewers also. but I don't care much for the tomatoes done that way.  Also next time we will keep the meat on the steak, and do veggie (only) Skewers.

I added some diluted Brown-Label Tabasco to the two left-over Skewers when I stir-fried them Monday for lunch. I like the smokey Tabasco as a side-flavor better than the Italian Dressing and seasoning Jan likes.

Here is my lunch Monday. The two left-over skewers plus a little leftover steak, stir-fried.

post edited by mayor al - 2010/07/13 10:11:42
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1177
    Re:Grilled Garden Produce July 2010 2010/07/13 17:23:59 (permalink)
    Looks wonderful -  have to try the squash.

It's been a learning experience for me, with a shish ka bob I did a few months back, the peppers, red onion, and whole mushrooms worked fine and tasted great, while the tomatoes literally melted off the skewer.  Also, I tried parboiling new potatoes ahead, but I didn't cook them long enough and they never cooked that much on the skewers, so remained still a little hard.   

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Grilled Garden Produce July 2010 2010/07/13 18:56:19 (permalink)
    Belle,
     We tried Tomatoes also with the same results as you. The firmer squash was really good. The Onions and steak bites were outstanding. I think potatoes would have to be cooked completely, then browned on the grill.
    Frankly I liked the grill taste that was added by the skewers, but also enjoyed the 'finished' flavor after stir-frying after the grilling !
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1