Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend?

Author
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
2006/05/25 19:59:14 (permalink)

Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend?

http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/product.aspx?scommand=search&search=porterhouse&item=21010

13 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/25 21:13:37 (permalink)
    Now thats a mouthful... Kinda pricy, though!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/26 00:10:12 (permalink)
    Think I'll stick to what I had last weekend on the grill (Prime Rib Steak Cut).. Was only like 13 bucks a pound.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/26 07:31:31 (permalink)
    Their out of their bleepin minds. A nice thick chuck steak is my steak of choice for the grill, damn tastey. Chow Jim
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/26 08:58:54 (permalink)
    I can sometimes see paying some more for a real, good cut of beef (but not that much), but that picture showed a poor choice of a piece of porterhouse steak. I would never choose a porterhouse with such a large vein of gristle (or whatever you call it) running through the sirloin side. Makes for tough eating in that area IMHO. I'm going to Sam's Club for some of their great steaks, for which I've rarely been dissappointed.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18659
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/26 13:11:26 (permalink)
    Serves four? That's about the size porterhouse I make for my grandson. It serves one. And I pay a tad less (around $125 less) for his dry-aged prime steaks.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/26 13:43:14 (permalink)
    A short time back I posted a shot of 4 very nice Porterhouse Steaks we got on sale at our local Kroger. They cut them 1.25-1.5 inches thick for me and did a fine job on the trimming....just the right amount of fat remained to help keep the flavor coming. The price was $5.00 a pound and the steaks were about 2 lbs each. They did feed four adults and 2 small kids quite well! AND my dogs were thrilled at the bones that came their way for next two days ! The kids wanted A1---let'em have it...We used some Montreal Salt and Pepper , that's all. Great Tasting Beef.

We will use two more of these dandies on Monday when I feel like doing a charcoal/wood effort outside.

When our local markets do this sort of sale we are prepared to get a dozen or so of the good cuts for use during the upcoming BBQ/Grilling season.
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/26 18:10:49 (permalink)
    We are doing T-Bones on Sunday, 2 inches thick, 12 steaks, butchered at home, dry hung for a month, fast fed with corn for two months prior to slaughter. They will seasoned with some sea salt, pepper, a bit of pressed garlic, cooked medium rare to rare. And I will probably slice off some to eat raw.

Also on menu, birria de chivo, (goat) sauted mushrooms, mashed potatoes, ceaser salad made w/ raw egg and anchovies. Desert will chocolate bread pudding.

Not a bad meal for the Memorial Day weekend.

Also best wishes to the vets out there, and especially to our frinds that are no longer with us, and most of all to the parents, sisters and brothers, children family and friends of those, who gave the ultimate sacrfice for our great country. Memorial Day is for the remembrance of our departed comrades.
    And to my friend John John who gave of himself, in order to allow me to be here today. I will shed another tear, laugh uncontollably for a bit, get mad at God, again. Declare my undying love for you and your family again, who helped make me whole again, and never blamed me. And I will drink a warm Bud or two, which I hated then, and still hate today. But as you said, or rather stole " any port in a storm" Here is to you my friend
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/26 18:28:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CCJPO

We are doing T-Bones on Sunday, 2 inches thick, 12 steaks, butchered at home, dry hung for a month, fast fed with corn for two months prior to slaughter. They will seasoned with some sea salt, pepper, a bit of pressed garlic, cooked medium rare to rare. And I will probably slice off some to eat raw.

Also on menu, birria de chivo, (goat) sauted mushrooms, mashed potatoes, ceaser salad made w/ raw egg and anchovies. Desert will chocolate bread pudding.

Also best wishes to the vets out there, and especially to our frinds that are no longer with us, and most of all to the parents, sisters and brothers, children family and friends of those, who gave the ultimate sacrfice for our great country. Memorial Day is for the remembrance of our departed comrades.
    And to my friend John John who gave of himself, in order to allow me to be here today. I will shed another tear, laugh uncontollably for a bit, get mad at God, again. Declare my undying love for you and your family again, who helped make me whole again, and never blamed me. And I will drink a warm Bud or two, which I hated then, and still hate today. But as you said, or rather stole " any port in a storm" Here is to you my friend

Hey Chief, What cut of goat do you suggest for a grill and a recipe for prep would also be of help. I still to this day also drink warm/room temp beer on occasion it's all we could get most of the time in country, not so fond memmories but none the less I will have a warm Bud On Monday can't get Sam Magiel. Chow Semper Fi Jim
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7024
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/26 18:56:58 (permalink)
    Oh my gosh, Mr. Mayor, those are some beautiful looking steaks! About two weeks ago, we put the camper on the truck and since it was a georgous day, we decided to go to the store and get a couple of steaks. Right. $11.00/lb.! So I guess we're not gonna grill steak this weekend!
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/27 17:20:34 (permalink)
    I would happily pay $5 a lb for those beauties, but there is no WAY they are that cheap around here.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/28 13:50:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CCJPO

Nice,
    Lest we forget what Memorial day is all about in the first place..
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/05/28 21:06:14 (permalink)
    We will be doing t-bones from the local meat market. Heans does a better job with butchering a t-bone than a regular supermarket here. Nice and rare and juicy. A little tenderizing salt is all thats needed for these. For myself if its a good steak you dont need to use anything else on it.
    danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Grilling Steaks This Holiday Weekend? 2006/07/20 15:43:51 (permalink)
    I probably paid twice as much for the July 4 steaks I purchased at Whole Foods in Deerfield, Ill. They were quite good, but didn't come out looking as tasty as the ones you pictured here.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1