The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Grimaldi's Hoboken

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Grimaldi's Hoboken Mon, 01/24/11 4:42 PM (permalink)
Has anyone been to Grimaldi's Hoboken and can compare it to Grimaldi's Brooklyn.

On principle, I would never go to a place that has more than 5 min. wait, yet Grimaldi's is soooooo popular with NYC tourists (esp. from overseas) that think Grimaldi's in Bklyn is a "must-do".
So I was in Hoboken this week end and found out that there are not one, but 2, Grimaldi's there, apparently owned by the same family. And no waiting in line!

I thought the pizza was OK, fine, but not to stand in line or make a special trip (like NYC tourists). It was coal oven, which made is crispy with lots of flour on the bottom, but when it cooled off it was soggy. We did have a good antipasto, tho.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
    Re:Grimaldi's Hoboken Mon, 01/24/11 5:49 PM (permalink)
    I can tell you one thing. The Grimaldi's in Dallas is terrible. We have much better pizza in Dallas to chose from.

NYNM

Re:Grimaldi's Hoboken Fri, 01/28/11 5:54 PM (permalink)
      I was surprised not to get more reactions here. I also participate in the Trip Adviser forums (quite interesting site)
      http://www.tripadvisor.com/
      where potential travellers can ask questions to locals around the world. So very many visitors to NYC, esp. foreign visitors, think they must make a pilgrimage of walking across Brooklyn Bridge and having a pie at Grimaldi's, right across the bridge. 
      They usually wait at least an hour on line to do this. There are already over 30 pages of posts on Grimaldi's. It seems some sort of ritual, and must be recommended in tourist guides.
      Has anyone else heard of this place or has a comment on it?

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
        Re:Grimaldi's Hoboken Fri, 01/28/11 6:19 PM (permalink)
        NYNM, I gotta give Grimaldi's two thumbs up.  I would wait an hour for a pie, no problem

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
          Re:Grimaldi's Hoboken Fri, 01/28/11 8:03 PM (permalink)
          If the Hoboken locations translated to the original there would only be one Hoboken location...with a very long line. I assume you went to the one on Washington St. not Clinton.

NYNM

Re:Grimaldi's Hoboken Fri, 01/28/11 8:14 PM (permalink)
            Yes, I went to the one on Washington. Is the one on Clinton the same? Not sure I understood your comment - is the quality not so good, or is it that 2 restaurants in Hoboken cut the lines down?
            Some of the comments I read on Trip Advisor for the Brooklyn one were not so good (tho more were higher ratings) mostly like "overrated". (I did pick up the hype, esp. from overseas tourists that the pizza in the Brooklyn one was fabulous, but I suspect the travellers haven't had much NYC area pizza, and were saying Grimaldi's was "great" because they walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and then waited on line for an hour, so you would probably think it was great of feel like a fool!)
            Do you think the Grimaldi's in NJ is overrated? Is it better, worse, the same as Bklyn?

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
              Re:Grimaldi's Hoboken Fri, 01/28/11 8:47 PM (permalink)
              The quality is ok if you just walked in to a pizza parlor in Hoboken and did not compare it to the original Brooklyn location. The name sells to many tourists that take the quick Path from Manhattan to see what there is to see in Hoboken that might not plan to visit Brooklyn. They might leave very happy and for some reason many think Brooklyn is a trek compared to Hoboken. I am sure many do because space is expensive in Hoboken and why be a few blocks apart when you have a captive audience to wait and wait for as long as it takes? Cover the map like Starbucks.

Wait until Buddy Valastro opens his pizza place. Talk about another line coming soon to Hoboken. Marone.

Billy Lord

• Total Posts: 1
                Re:Grimaldi's Hoboken Sun, 04/24/11 8:27 PM (permalink)
                Pizza in Hoboken... Gotta go with Benny Tudino's. No nonsense NY style pie with an anti chain atmosphere that's worth the 6 block walk up Washington from the Path station. Classic.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com