Grimaldi's West

Author
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
2007/05/12 01:11:28 (permalink)

Grimaldi's West

Ellen's NYC Pizza Tour sparked my desire for pizza, and curiosity got the best of me today so I jumped on a plane and flew to NYC for a pizza pie at Grimaldi's......OK, I didn't fly to the Big Apple, but I did drive to downtown Scottsdale for lunch at an authentic Grimaldi's!

Coal fired ovens were cooking up some fine pizzas so I ordered up a cold beer and a 12" pie with Pepperoni and onion.

The crust was delicious and the sauce and homemade mozzarella really hit the spot. The Sterns have given this place kudos and now I see why. Now if we would just get a DeFara's, Lombardi's and a Totonno's out here!

Appreciate the inspiration Ellen, Wandering Jew and the rest.

I thank you, and my stomach thanks you!

5 Replies Related Threads

signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Grimaldi's West 2007/05/13 02:24:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for this most timely review Desertdog. I'm in Tucson now and will be in Scottsdale Tue-Thur. Grimaldi's is on my list of places to stop. Traveling with my elderly parents so haven't been able to hit too many Roadfood type places yet, but did manage to stop by Pat's Drive-In here in Tucson for a couple of chili dogs this afternoon. They serve a really good sized all beef dog for $1.16 and you can choose mild or hot chili, but this chili is loaded with big beans. I had 2, with some frest cut fries, and just to let you know how good this meal was, I haven't tasted it again all day.

DD, I will mail you separately so possibly we can connect.
    Ram4
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Grimaldi's West 2007/05/24 15:39:54 (permalink)
    I tried this place when I was in Scotsdale for a wedding. I have never been to New York City, so I was not expecting a true authentic New York style, coal oven pizza. I have seen what an out of town restaurant/a corporation can do to DESTROY the name of a Chicago pizza institution (Pizzeria Uno).

Anyway, from what I remember, the pizza was very good, but nothing more. It was a bit bland, and I found myself excited when I bit into the basil pieces, which were lacking. Overall, I was not blown away by any means, but I'd try it again. Just next time in New York. If this Grimaldi's is using local Arizona water for it's dough, then that right there is a big problem.

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Grimaldi's West 2007/05/24 16:07:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by desertdog

Ellen's NYC Pizza Tour sparked my desire for pizza, and curiosity got the best of me today so I jumped on a plane and flew to NYC for a pizza pie at Grimaldi's......OK, I didn't fly to the Big Apple, but I did drive to downtown Scottsdale for lunch at an authentic Grimaldi's!

The crust was delicious and the sauce and homemade mozzarella really hit the spot. The Sterns have given this place kudos and now I see why. Now if we would just get a DeFara's, Lombardi's and a Totonno's out here

Feels good to be an "inspirer" !!
    Glad I gave you & your stomach some good feelings!
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Grimaldi's West 2007/05/25 20:00:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641

quote:
    Originally posted by desertdog

Feels good to be an "inspirer" !!
    Glad I gave you & your stomach some good feelings!

Good feelings are always welcome. Look forward to a Big Apple visit to try the "real" thing!

DD
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Grimaldi's West 2007/05/25 20:56:35 (permalink)
    Desertdog, if you find your way to NYC in search of real coal-fired "apizza," do yourself a favor and drive another 70 miles or so north on I-95 to New Haven. Go directly to Wooster Street and try, in my order of preference, Pepe's, The Spot and Sally's. (You can also save a few miles by stopping at the Pepe's in Fairfield, CT...I can't recall the exit number on 95.) IMHO, nobody does crust like Pepe's.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1