Grits?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 00:01:13 (permalink)
Grits? Manna! Ambrosia!

Stone-ground, of course, from any of the sources mentioned. Yellow grits are sometimes called "Yankee grits," but I don't know why. Anyhow, I cook 'em for a longer time than the directions say, until they're halfway between creamy and al dente, using well-salted ½ milk and ½ water as the liquid. S & P, unsalted butter for seasoning; garlic optional but always fresh, never powdered, dried, or that nasty refrigerated stuff.

And I just found the following at something called flickr.com:

1. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.
2. Thou shalt not eat Yankee Grits made by Quakers.
3. Thou shalt not eat Cream of Wheat and call it Grits for this is blasphemy.
4. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors Grits.
5. Thou shalt only use Salt, Butter and Cheese as toppings for thy Grits.
6. Thou shalt not eat Instant Grits.
7. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.
8. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.
9. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.
10. Thou shalt not put sugar on thy Grits neither.

lest
  • thou be cast down into the land of the Yankees called Florida, where thou shalt toil in long lines of traffic caused by confused blue-haired drivers of giant Winnebagos; and
  • thou shalt stand in long lines at the grocery store where there is much complaining and gnashing of false teeth, because it is not NJ, NY, or 1935, or coupon day; and
  • thou shalt try to vote, but be too feeble to pull the lever, and too senile to remember for whom you have voted.

So shall it be written, so shall it be done.
#91
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
  • Joined: 2006/07/06 19:49:00
  • Location: Live at Saint Clair
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 00:39:07 (permalink)
AMEN !!!
#92
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10209
  • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
  • Location: Gilbert, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 11:56:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Grits? Manna! Ambrosia!

Stone-ground, of course, from any of the sources mentioned. Yellow grits are sometimes called "Yankee grits," but I don't know why. Anyhow, I cook 'em for a longer time than the directions say, until they're halfway between creamy and al dente, using well-salted ½ milk and ½ water as the liquid. S & P, unsalted butter for seasoning; garlic optional but always fresh, never powdered, dried, or that nasty refrigerated stuff.

And I just found the following at something called flickr.com:

1. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.
2. Thou shalt not eat Yankee Grits made by Quakers.
3. Thou shalt not eat Cream of Wheat and call it Grits for this is blasphemy.
4. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors Grits.
5. Thou shalt only use Salt, Butter and Cheese as toppings for thy Grits.
6. Thou shalt not eat Instant Grits.
7. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.
8. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.
9. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.
10. Thou shalt not put sugar on thy Grits neither.

lest
  • thou be cast down into the land of the Yankees called Florida, where thou shalt toil in long lines of traffic caused by confused blue-haired drivers of giant Winnebagos; and
  • thou shalt stand in long lines at the grocery store where there is much complaining and gnashing of false teeth, because it is not NJ, NY, or 1935, or coupon day; and
  • thou shalt try to vote, but be too feeble to pull the lever, and too senile to remember for whom you have voted.

So shall it be written, so shall it be done.


Rule # 11
Thou shall not confuse North FL with South FL.
North FL IE: The Panhandle, AKA "The Redneck Riveria" and "LA" (Lower Alabama),is populated by brotheren from the South. Redneck is spoken here and they know their grits. By Redneck Man Law, those unpure ones from the South are not permitted to venture north of Gainesville.
#93
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 16:41:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme
Rule # 11
Thou shall not confuse North FL with South FL.
North FL IE: The Panhandle, AKA "The Redneck Riveria" and "LA" (Lower Alabama),is populated by brotheren from the South. Redneck is spoken here and they know their grits. By Redneck Man Law, those unpure ones from the South are not permitted to venture north of Gainesville.
I stand corrected, sir, and am indeed appreciative.
#94
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
  • Joined: 2005/10/18 14:15:00
  • Location: albuquerque, NM
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 16:47:58 (permalink)
rule 11 goes for jersey too.
NEVER confuse south jersey with north joisey.
#95
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 19:08:50 (permalink)
Southern Fried Grits:

#96
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 19:10:20 (permalink)
#97
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 19:12:56 (permalink)
Blackened Catfish 'n Grits:
#98
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 19:16:12 (permalink)


Comment: Does anyone see the egg(s) in this photo?
#99
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 19:18:36 (permalink)
OOOOh Look. Mushrooms too...

Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 19:20:05 (permalink)
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 19:26:51 (permalink)
Grillades and Grits:


Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/19 19:35:47 (permalink)


Gorgonzola Grit Cakes

3 cups water
1 cup water (stone) ground grits (not instant!)
1 tsp. salt
3 oz. gorgonzola, crumbled
1 egg, beaten
flour for dredging
2-3 TB. vegetable oil

1. Bring water to a boil. Add salt and grits and lower heat. Cook until thick, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in egg and gorgonzola, stirring until cheese is melted and well combined.
2. Pour grits into 8" cake pan (round is better). Cool in pan and then refrigerate uncovered until completely set, at least an hour after cool.
3. With a 2-1/2" round cutter, carefully cut grits into 6 rounds and remove from pan. Dredge rounds in flour.
4. Heat oil in large skillet until hot. Pan-fry grit cakes until golden, about 2 minutes each side. Serve immediately.

**Make sure that the oil is hot enough before frying or the grits will begin to fall apart before browning.

Makes 6 grit cakes.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/20 00:14:35 (permalink)
After reading about grits all day, I broke down this evening and ate. . . . Grits! Specifically, dinner was stone-ground white grits salted and peppered, with sweet creamery butter from a farm in North Carolina; smoked sausage from [url='http://www.poches.com/']Poche's[/url] in Breaux Bridge; and, from my freezer, cooked-forever green beans and potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper, ham, and a touch of vinegar. Yum!
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 617
  • Joined: 2004/07/26 20:56:00
  • Location: Chipley, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/20 20:52:42 (permalink)

A bowl of hot buttered grits, two slices of toast & a glass of orange juice -
that gets my day started off right!

And as Adjudicator knows (and mentioned in another post), when you're passing
through the Florida Panhandle, pick up a few bags of Hoover's Mill (water-fed)
Grits & Corn Meal (my sister took home a few bags back to Chicago!)
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
  • Joined: 2003/05/15 17:58:00
  • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/21 13:10:40 (permalink)
Oh my Goad, Adj, those photos are absolutely mouth-watering.
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
  • Joined: 2005/10/18 14:15:00
  • Location: albuquerque, NM
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/21 13:23:19 (permalink)
truly tempting photos.
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
  • Joined: 2004/12/17 13:05:00
  • Location: Escondido, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/21 13:24:35 (permalink)
This thread needs a food porn warning!" />

I've always enjoyed grits with just butter and pepper, but now I'm going to have to make the gorgonzola grits cakes (and the shrimp one). Yum! You wouldn't have the recipe for that one, too, by any chance?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10209
  • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
  • Location: Gilbert, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/21 13:59:22 (permalink)
Today's "Restaurant of the Day" is The Coffee Cup in Pensacola, FL. I lived in Pensacola for 16 years and can report this is a great place. I left there 6 years ago and on numerous occasions considered buying a plane ticket and flying back there from Phoenix just to have breakfast! The Nassau Grits are unique and I've never seen them served anywhere else. The omlets float from the grill to your table. The Grill Chef ( She's more than just a cook), Creola, has been there over 20 years and the girl does magic on her little grill without ever looking at an order. I loved to sit at the counter, in awe, and watch her do her thing. The Waitresses call the orders out like at Waffle House. I've seen her keep 20 orders going at once without a mistake on any of them. If you're anywhere near Pensacola, this is a "must stop". Their Cinnamon Rolls and Pies are outstanding too!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/21 20:31:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rmcielwain


A bowl of hot buttered grits, two slices of toast & a glass of orange juice -
that gets my day started off right!

And as Adjudicator knows (and mentioned in another post), when you're passing
through the Florida Panhandle, pick up a few bags of Hoover's Mill (water-fed)
Grits & Corn Meal (my sister took home a few bags back to Chicago!)


Just found out my local Wally World carries Hoover's so I stocked up.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/21 23:19:42 (permalink)
I just read all the praise for Hoover's grits. Their web site shows only fine-ground; doesn't that affect the flavor?
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/22 22:31:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

I just read all the praise for Hoover's grits. Their web site shows only fine-ground; doesn't that affect the flavor?


You bet it does. Tastes much better. Most Southern grits ARE fine ground. Remember same expands at least 4X size when cooked... Don't confuse "fine-ground" with stuff such as flour or cream-of-wheat consistency products. The secret behind good grits is to get the "regular" cooking grits; not instant (god-forbid) or even the "quick-cooking" varieties. Properly cooked grits should be smooth but not runny; this takes time and a bit of patience to do right.

As far as the pictures I posted. Well that was nice. A true grits junkie such as I don't need all of that added "luggage", but only a lot of butter, salt, 'n pepper to make it right. Of course, a couple or three/four SS up aigs and a mess o' bacon and/or sausige makes it jist dang tasty. Biskits an jam r an added bonus. Don't ferget the frash orange juce to make the meal rite!

...Ahem.... Please excuse me. My alter ego did have a grip on me for a while, but I am bak back now...

Signing off now from South Southern Gawja. ...
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10209
  • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
  • Location: Gilbert, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/22 23:44:17 (permalink)
GRITS RECIPE DU JOUR-
(For all you Rednecks out there, Du Jour is French for Du Jour)
GRITS-TOPHER COLUMBUS HERB GRITS
1 C Grits
4 C Water
1 1/2 Tsp Salt
2 TBSP Butter
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1/2 Tsp each of Oregano, Basil, Marjoram
1 Tsp each Garlic Powder & Onion Powder
1/ C Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese

Cook the grits with Salt Water.You know the drill. Add everything else. Stir & Serve
VARIATION: Pour Mixture into a 9x13 pan, chill at least 4 hrs or overnite. Cut into 2 inch squares. Fry grits in a little bit of butter wntil crispy on both sides and serve with a warm Marinara Sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10209
  • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
  • Location: Gilbert, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/24 00:30:27 (permalink)
Here's a web site for
PUTTTIN' A LITTLE "SOUTH IN YOUR MOUTH."

http://www.gritsbits.com
azure
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
  • Joined: 2005/06/30 14:20:00
  • Location: raleigh, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits? 2006/09/25 00:42:20 (permalink)
Oh, such a delicious discussion. Only, why in the breakfast cereal section?????
I am a G.R.I.T.S. and I LOVE grits.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1