Grits

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Hiram Callahan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
  • Joined: 2000/08/16 09:12:00
  • Location: New York, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/09 19:10:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Just finished reading the review of the Seelbach Hotel's OAK ROOM, The top of the mountain of hotel dining facilities in Louisville.
Here's a short quote from the Louisville Magazine's review.

À la carte side dishes carry out the fusion of Kentucky and international culinary themes, from $6 for fried green tomatoes ... with roasted garlic aioli ... to $10 for, I am not kidding about this, lobster grits.

It just keeps getting better !!



Some years ago, I--a New Yorker--was working in Louisville with a group of fellow New Yorkers and a group of Southrons--well, people from Atlanta, at least. Every day we argued over whether Louisville was a Southern or Northern city. I wanted it to be Southern, if only because, as a native New Yorker, I consider Delaware Southern, but I digress.

The irrefutable argument that Louisville was Northern was the absence of grits from breakfast buffets and menus at the hotels we stayed in. Game, set, match.

Did I mention that the best indictment I have of the Louisville culinary scene in those days was that we looked forward to eating in an Irish restaurant? Shudder.

Ort--
Thanks for the word on the yolks. It's nice to know that I haven't embarassed my umpteen generations.
#61
cindycat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Joined: 2000/08/25 12:32:00
  • Location: Silverdale, WA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/09 23:54:37 (permalink)
One of our favorites is Shrimp and Grits. We had it two ways in Savannah - fried grits cakes with a shrimp/pepper/onion salsa sort of mixture. Also loose (soft) grits with shrimp in gravy. Yum.

There's a mill in War Eagle, Arkansas, where you can by their stone-ground grits. They have regular grits made from white corn, plus Yankee grits - - why "Yankee"? Because they're yella!!
#62
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/10 08:43:42 (permalink)
cindycat, those grits with shrimp & gravy sound great!

As to the War Eagle Mill, I've ordered from them numerous times, and have been pleased with their products. It's also a great stop on a trip through NW AR.

http://www.wareaglemill.com/
#63
JaneDough
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
  • Joined: 2003/05/09 23:34:00
  • Location: Drexel Hill, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/19 16:48:36 (permalink)
What is a "grit" anyway? KIDDING! (credit "My Cousin Vinny")
#64
angelfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
  • Joined: 2003/12/15 17:48:00
  • Location: Lowcountry, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/19 16:54:11 (permalink)
Girl
Raised
In
The
South
#65
angelfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
  • Joined: 2003/12/15 17:48:00
  • Location: Lowcountry, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/19 16:56:29 (permalink)
Shrimp and grits:
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1416
#66
Alexander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
  • Joined: 2004/02/27 09:20:00
  • Location: Columbia, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/22 09:26:57 (permalink)
I'm afraid I have raised a child with a depraved appetite. Yesterday for breakfast she had bacon, grits, and syrup mixed into the grits. She claims that it was great and intends to keep on eating it.

About as bad as the Army's serving grits with bananas.
#67
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
  • Location: Sin City, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/22 10:01:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

I far prefer the burlap bagged milled grits that I get from a local mill, sometimes Mabry Mill on the Virginia Blue Ridge Parkway



That's near Meadows of Dan, Virginia, no, RT? I haven't been there for years but, indeed, their grits, grain and buckwheat flour is fabulous. They're also near a fun Virginia winery called Chateau Morrisette (http://www.thedogs.com/) for you Blue Ridge Parkway travellers.



Enjoy !
#68
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6827
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/22 12:40:57 (permalink)
I ate my first plate of grits yesterday at breakfast...........NOT impressed. In fact, if it were not for the butter, salt and pepper, they would've been unedible. Are grits always like this?
#69
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
  • Joined: 2001/08/09 17:06:00
  • Location: North Wilkesboro, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/22 12:54:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

I ate my first plate of grits yesterday at breakfast...........NOT impressed. In fact, if it were not for the butter, salt and pepper, they would've been unedible. Are grits always like this?

YES, they are. Like Tofu, they are just filler to pick up the taste of what you put with them. I grew up in the South, but never acquired a taste for grits.
#70
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Joined: 2003/07/14 07:27:00
  • Location: Sin City, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/22 12:58:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

I ate my first plate of grits yesterday at breakfast...........NOT impressed. In fact, if it were not for the butter, salt and pepper, they would've been unedible. Are grits always like this?


Only for the grit-rejects* the south sends to Alaska.

* Otherwise known as "regrits" as in "send our regrits to the Last Frontier state."
#71
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6827
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/22 17:19:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

I ate my first plate of grits yesterday at breakfast...........NOT impressed. In fact, if it were not for the butter, salt and pepper, they would've been unedible. Are grits always like this?


Only for the grit-rejects* the south sends to Alaska.

* Otherwise known as "regrits" as in "send our regrits to the Last Frontier state."

Hey hey! I did not get banished to the Last Frontier because I never ate grits! These turned to cement two minutes after my plate was delivered from the kitchen and were totally tasteless. I was thinkin, "wow, I love polenta, so I'll love grits too". Not so. Maybe I just got not so wonderful grits? Are they supposed to turn to cement?
#72
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13500
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/22 18:30:06 (permalink)
lleechef: I am not sure what kind of grits you had but what is served to us in the south are hot and tasty. I like them with anything. I always add butter, salt and pepper. Sometimes I put my sausage and eggs in them. Other times I add gravy.

Perhaps it is because I grew up with them, but I find them a necessity for a great breakfast. Sometimes I have them for dinner.

It is my understanding the polenta is made from cornmeal? Perhaps the Sundancer is wwwwwwwrrrrrrrrooooooonnnnnggg? I hate that word.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
#73
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Joined: 2003/07/15 14:43:00
  • Location: Newberry, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/22 18:58:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

I ate my first plate of grits yesterday at breakfast...........NOT impressed. In fact, if it were not for the butter, salt and pepper, they would've been unedible. Are grits always like this?


Only for the grit-rejects* the south sends to Alaska.

* Otherwise known as "regrits" as in "send our regrits to the Last Frontier state."

Hey hey! I did not get banished to the Last Frontier because I never ate grits! These turned to cement two minutes after my plate was delivered from the kitchen and were totally tasteless. I was thinkin, "wow, I love polenta, so I'll love grits too". Not so. Maybe I just got not so wonderful grits? Are they supposed to turn to cement?

Sounds as though the grits you ate were not very fresh After grits sit around they do tend to thicken, no, they are not good IMO. If you let grits get room temperature in the pan they were cooked in, you can just turn the pan upside down, give it a good rap on the bottom of the pan and you'll find yourself with a "grit block".
#74
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
  • Joined: 2001/05/10 19:50:00
  • Location: Morgantown, WV
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/22 19:21:00 (permalink)
quote:
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger



1112 Posts
Posted - 03/22/2004 : 10:01:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

I far prefer the burlap bagged milled grits that I get from a local mill, sometimes Mabry Mill on the Virginia Blue Ridge Parkway




That's near Meadows of Dan, Virginia, no, RT? I haven't been there for years but, indeed, their grits, grain and buckwheat flour is fabulous. They're also near a fun Virginia winery called Chateau Morrisette (http://www.thedogs.com/) for you Blue Ridge Parkway travellers.




Yes dear...that's exactly where it is. But their buckwheat flour can't measure up to ours locally from Hazelton West Virginia, which is the oldest buckwheat mill in the US......Getting buckwheat flour from anywhere else will get you shot in these parts.
#75
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
  • Joined: 2001/05/10 19:50:00
  • Location: Morgantown, WV
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/22 19:22:37 (permalink)
Another deeeeeeeelicious grits main entree is grits and grillades, strips of higly seasoned beef in a tomato-ey cajun style sauce....mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
#76
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/22 20:48:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7
It is my understanding the polenta is made from cornmeal? Perhaps the Sundancer is wwwwwwwrrrrrrrrooooooonnnnnggg? I hate that word.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
The Sundancer is not wrong. The Sundancer is never wrong. I too love grits, even though I had never had stone-ground grits until an otherwise repellent breakfast at NO's Astor Crowne Plaza Friday.
#77
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6827
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/23 13:57:47 (permalink)
The Sundancer is not wrong, polenta is made from cornmeal. But I always add butter, salt, pepper and grated romano cheese. The grits I had were bland bland bland and set up like cement after a few minutes.
#78
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
  • Joined: 2004/03/08 10:06:00
  • Location: Powhatan, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/23 15:17:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

The Sundancer is not wrong, polenta is made from cornmeal. But I always add butter, salt, pepper and grated romano cheese. The grits I had were bland bland bland and set up like cement after a few minutes.

lleechef:
Too bad that your first taste of grits had to be that way. They were probably poorly prepared, and may have been of poor quality as well. The best are indeed stone-ground and must be cooked properly. Yours might have been the "instant" type of grits. No good. Set up like quick-crete. NO taste. The best off-the-shelf ones are probably Quaker Old Fashioned Grits; not instant; not "quick grits". If you can't get the stone-ground.
Frank
#79
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/23 23:04:02 (permalink)
Here's a[url='http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/24/dining/24GRIT.html']link[/url] to a New York Times article on grits.
#80
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6827
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/24 03:18:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fcbaldwin

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

The Sundancer is not wrong, polenta is made from cornmeal. But I always add butter, salt, pepper and grated romano cheese. The grits I had were bland bland bland and set up like cement after a few minutes.

lleechef:
Too bad that your first taste of grits had to be that way. They were probably poorly prepared, and may have been of poor quality as well. The best are indeed stone-ground and must be cooked properly. Yours might have been the "instant" type of grits. No good. Set up like quick-crete. NO taste. The best off-the-shelf ones are probably Quaker Old Fashioned Grits; not instant; not "quick grits". If you can't get the stone-ground.
Frank

Yes, this is what I was thinking. They were not properly prepared and probably poor quality. After all, they were made by some breakfast cook that probably grew up in Fairbanks or Alberta, Canada and doesn't have a clue about grits and could give a hoot. The owner says, "make grits", the cook says, "ok, I'll make grits." I will abstain from grits until I get back down to the southern US.
#81
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
  • Location: Greenfield, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/24 09:27:31 (permalink)
Being a Northern boy, I never thought I would have anything to contribute to this thread, but from today's Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/24/dining/24GRIT.html
#82
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
  • Joined: 2004/03/08 10:06:00
  • Location: Powhatan, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/24 10:27:17 (permalink)
Thank you Rick F. and Grampy for the NYTimes article. Very interesting. That guy at Anson Mills sure is serious about his grits! Maybe I'll order some!

Frank
#83
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/24 10:34:30 (permalink)
That's what I love about the (new) South...YUPPY GRITS!
#84
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
  • Joined: 2004/03/08 10:06:00
  • Location: Powhatan, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/24 10:49:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

That's what I love about the (new) South...YUPPY GRITS!


Hey John,
You can probably order them through L.L. Bean!

Frank
#85
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
  • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/24 11:18:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
Originally posted by fcbaldwin

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

The Sundancer is not wrong, polenta is made from cornmeal. But I always add butter, salt, pepper and grated romano cheese. The grits I had were bland bland bland and set up like cement after a few minutes.

lleechef:
Too bad that your first taste of grits had to be that way. They were probably poorly prepared, and may have been of poor quality as well. The best are indeed stone-ground and must be cooked properly. Yours might have been the "instant" type of grits. No good. Set up like quick-crete. NO taste. The best off-the-shelf ones are probably Quaker Old Fashioned Grits; not instant; not "quick grits". If you can't get the stone-ground.
Frank

Yes, this is what I was thinking. They were not properly prepared and probably poor quality. After all, they were made by some breakfast cook that probably grew up in Fairbanks or Alberta, Canada and doesn't have a clue about grits and could give a hoot. The owner says, "make grits", the cook says, "ok, I'll make grits." I will abstain from grits until I get back down to the southern US.


lleechef - grits that sit around in a pot behave exactly like Cream of Wheat and are not the way the good Lord intended us to eat them.

I like them occasionally, but when offered a choice of hash browns or grits, I will always choose the hashbrowns while hubby goes for the grits.

My grandmother used to make a frito-cheese-grits casserole. Have to see if I can find the recipe.
#86
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6827
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/24 11:30:38 (permalink)
Yep, Lone Star, I'm definately going for the hashbrowns which were excellent at this particular restaurant. My next grit adventure will be when I get back down south........and I do not mean Seattle!!!!
#87
JaneDough
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
  • Joined: 2003/05/09 23:34:00
  • Location: Drexel Hill, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/24 12:34:02 (permalink)
Thank you, angelfood. You are aptly named. [;)
quote:
Originally posted by angelfood

Girl
Raised
In
The
South

#88
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Joined: 2004/03/23 10:48:00
  • Location: Gastonia, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/03/24 15:16:00 (permalink)
I have a friend from East Tennessee and she eats sugar on her grits.
Not me though-I really like grits with salt, pepper and butter but they are really good when you have country ham and some red eye gravy.
#89
SteveB9
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
  • Joined: 2004/03/31 17:07:00
  • Location: Jefferson, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: Grits 2004/04/01 15:45:36 (permalink)
I live in the south (just a few miles from Ort)and have eaten grits for over 50 years. Sadly, it is not so easy to find good grits. The grocery stores only have "Quick" grits (I don't even count the instant variety as grits!). You would not believe the taste difference between true stone ground grits and the quick variety. The only places I have been able to find good stone ground grits is at places like Callaway Gardens, the Hiawassee Mountain Fair, and over the net.
However, you can make the quick variety a little better by cooking them 20 - 30 minutes. Let them get real thick, then add hot water and cook them some more.
From lovely Arcade, GA (suburban Athens)
#90
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1