Grits

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
NWM
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Grits 2004/04/02 18:17:38 (permalink)
I once knew a couple who got divorced because of their grits differences. Tragic. You single folks out there had better ask some probing questions before making a commitment.
shugga
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Grits 2004/05/22 21:25:54 (permalink)
This Yankee (soon to be southerner) loves grits and eats them with some pepper, butter and sometimes a little hot sauce.
In Northern Jersey the supermarkets now sell regular grits in addition to the instant.
clemspal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Grits 2004/05/24 17:32:56 (permalink)
the first time i saw anything other than grits , as a side dish , was in marietta , ga. i was about 5 , or 6 , and had NO idea why there were potatoes on my breakfast plate . my mother told me , "it's already honey . that's what the yankees ate for breakfast" . i sure wish she could have lived to see the day , when i put cheese in MY grits
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Grits 2004/06/18 16:14:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fcbaldwin

quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

That's what I love about the (new) South...YUPPY GRITS!

Hey John,
You can probably order them through L.L. Bean!

Frank

They will arrive in a Hummer
the barefoot chef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Grits 2004/07/08 12:07:56 (permalink)

Sorry to appear really stupid, but we don't have grits in the UK & I have no idea what is going on!

Can anyone post a recipe for grits please?

cleveland66
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Grits 2004/07/08 12:21:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the barefoot chef

Sorry to appear really stupid, but we don't have grits in the UK & I have no idea what is going on!

Grits are basically coarse groud corn (fine ground would be meal), cooked in boiling water, and served with (around here, at least) butter, salt, and pepper. Although I've lived in the south for most of my life, I've never really liked them served like this. However grits & grillades, which is just pan seared beef/pork/venison with gravy, are good stuff, as are any number of casseroles prepared with grits (my mother makes a cheesy garlic grit pie that's wonderful).

Hope that helps.
aharste
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Grits 2004/09/08 09:47:01 (permalink)
Coming from Minnesota, I get my grits fix when we travel down south a couple of times of year. My favorites: Cheese grits at Lynn's Paradise in Louisville, and the blackened shrimp grits w/jack cheese, onions & tomatoes, at the Acme Cantina on Isle of Palms, SC.

Save the sugar and cream for the oatmeal.
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: Grits 2004/09/10 08:53:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the barefoot chef

Think Polenta and you're nearly there :)
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: Grits 2004/09/10 09:12:10 (permalink)
Take a look at this link for a little history on grits and how they're made out of "hominy."

http://www.sallys-place.com/food/columns/fussell/hominy.htm

Frank
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Grits 2004/09/10 09:50:41 (permalink)
The runny egg is great with the grits, but what really sets this off )Ort, agree with me please-is a good slice of fried livermush
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Callahan

A question for the grits experts: if the grits are alongside poached or fried eggs with runny yolks, may the yolk be added to the grits?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Hiram,
Fine with me. You might like to add a drop of Tabasco(R) to the resulting mixture - the original red, not the green. And maybe even a little garlic.
Epicuriouser, Ort. Carlton in the Gritland of Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Hash browns for breakfast? Okay, as long as they don't come out of one of those dadgum waxed cartons... those things are closer to pure cellulose than pure potato....
IansMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Grits 2004/09/10 09:51:32 (permalink)
Well.. I have to throw my two cents in... I dislike grits with a passion. Growing up in all the areas I have, we never had grits, and now that I live in Louisville.. I can't stand them, I think it's only because I had a bad experience with them in L.A. I had to make them for show I was doing in college.. "Joe Turners Come and Gone" Grits every night making them 2x a show, and 4x on sat and sun.. cement I tell ya.. I'll never ..ever make them again...::shivers in a dark closet, hiding from the horrible grits:: Funning thing is..I love polenta
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Grits 2004/09/10 12:06:25 (permalink)
This Yankee learned of grits thanks to Uncle Sam, I was mostly stationed in Texas and Florida. I came to appreciate the good taste and texture of grits with my eggs and later with red eye gravy. Another dish I learned to like is good biscuits and gravy and of course creamed sausage gravy over toast. This is good soul comfort food that the rest of the country is missing, and if they could just relax and have a couple of eggs with grits instead of poptart breakfasts they would probably be better off in the long run.
Kent Daniels
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Grits 2004/09/10 20:16:32 (permalink)
I have only eaten grits one way -- my Mom's Cheese Grit Casserole with green chilies and garlic, mostly on holidays where you can drizzle it with turkey or beef gravy. She uses a rather coarse yellow corn grits mixed 50/50 with fine-ground white corn grits, so it's rather dense. I've seen grits on the menu in my ventures south and east of here, but have never ordered them because I'd probably miss the cheese and garlic I'm used to.
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Grits 2004/09/10 21:11:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by santacruz

This Yankee learned of grits thanks to Uncle Sam, I was mostly stationed in Texas and Florida. I came to appreciate the good taste and texture of grits with my eggs and later with red eye gravy. Another dish I learned to like is good biscuits and gravy and of course creamed sausage gravy over toast. This is good soul comfort food that the rest of the country is missing, and if they could just relax and have a couple of eggs with grits instead of poptart breakfasts they would probably be better off in the long run.

I don't like poptarts, either.

Cakes
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Grits 2004/09/22 21:56:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

lleechef: I am not sure what kind of grits you had but what is served to us in the south are hot and tasty. I like them with anything. I always add butter, salt and pepper. Sometimes I put my sausage and eggs in them. Other times I add gravy.

Perhaps it is because I grew up with them, but I find them a necessity for a great breakfast. Sometimes I have them for dinner.

It is my understanding the polenta is made from cornmeal? Perhaps the Sundancer is wwwwwwwrrrrrrrrooooooonnnnnggg? I hate that word.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Calling on Sundancer. I am a damn Yankee and am becoming a grits lover. I have not made them, but I'm wondering if you know of a place in Knoxville that serves good grits, and a good breakfast in general.
BTW, polenta is made from cornmeal. Fancy Italian word for "mush". You're right.

carl reitz
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13526
RE: Grits 2004/09/23 05:16:30 (permalink)
Carlton, The Sundancer loves the grits and hasbrowns at the Waffle House. If you like hashbrowns and I do, get them complete. It is something like scattered, covered, smothered and a whole bunch of other words which I cannot remember. I know they are everywhere and some do not like their stores, but I do.

http://www.wafflehouse.com
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Farfromhome
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Grits 2004/09/26 13:24:19 (permalink)
Coming from Texas I was happily surprised when we moved to Southern California that I could find grits in the stores here! However people here commit blasphemous sins with them. I've seen people do everything from putting sugar and syrup to mixing fruit in with them! What cracks me up around here is that while you can find hominy, its sold in the ethnic foods section.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Grits 2004/09/26 17:17:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Farfromhome

What cracks me up around here is that while you can find hominy, its sold in the ethnic foods section.
I once saw Bama strawberry jam in the ethnic foods department in a San Francisco grocery. . . . Sad, ain't it?
Farfromhome
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Grits 2004/09/30 00:05:15 (permalink)
Hehe I haven't been able to find any Bama products in California. One thing my kids have noted since we have moved to California, is that whenever we run into someone that is also from the south (our voices give us away I guess) the topic immediately turns to what foods we miss, what foods we have been able to find and what works as a good substitute for the foods we can't find. The next topic is always what foods we have imported from family back home
leslie1787
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Grits 2004/11/03 16:56:17 (permalink)
Just a note, Alton Brown is doing a show on grits tonite. It ought to be good since he's a southern boy.
My husband is from the south and he has always hated grits. Until-we went to Charleston, and he sampled some of my shrimp and grits at Hymen's. Since then he loves them. Bad childhood experiences are responsible for a lot of our dislikes when it comes to food. He had the same problem wiht pudding, because his family only made instant out of the box. Then I made him some homemade puddings, silky tender custards and luscious tapiocas and he became a convert. So, all you grits haters out there: find the real thing, prepare it properly, and I'll bet you just might change your minds. (Or make a side trip to Charleston!)
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: Grits 2004/11/03 18:39:01 (permalink)
I was a childhood Army brat, we moved around lots, but my mom is from south Georgia wiregrass country, so I got to know & love grits early on. I'll take 'em anywhere, anytime. Krystals has grits in a breakfast-in-a-cup - sounds revolting, but I like it when in a rush. Shrimp and grits is always good, and they even stand up to haute-cuisine at the Old Post Office at Edisto Island, S.C.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Grits 2004/11/03 19:04:53 (permalink)
OK. Now, who is ready for fried grits??? Similar to, let's say, potato pancakes...
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Grits 2004/11/03 21:16:22 (permalink)
In Chapel Hill, NC, Crook's Corner (Franklin St.) has a great shrimp and grits. Foster's (Columbia St., and in Durham) sometimes has a dynamite cheese and bacon grits. Shoney's has grits, too.
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: Grits 2004/11/07 05:07:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

OK. Now, who is ready for fried grits??? Similar to, let's say, potato pancakes...

Fried grits are great. Especially the left over garlic cheese grits.

Frank
arnisarn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Grits 2004/11/08 15:28:23 (permalink)
One of my favorite roadfood houses, Virginia Kitchen, in Herndon, VA serves a big bowl of grits with chopped bacon, sliced scallions, and cheddar cheese. It is enough for a whole breakfast (although we always share so we can eat some of their other great stuff). Other highlights of the breakfast menu include the El Paso Omelet (chili and hot sauce all the way), cream cheese and fresh fruit stuffed french toast (the real thing, not some weird imitation concoction), and homemade banana bread french toast. Many of their breakfast combinations are named after the folks who came up with them - all in all a great place. My kids grew up being taken there... it was a bribe for going to the orthodontist very early in the morning!!
Pogo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Grits 2004/11/08 16:41:57 (permalink)
If I dont have stone ground coarse grits...... I dont eat grits. BTW, SeafarerJohn, you have a "care package" of fresh stone ground Tennessee grits in the mail.

Here is how I prepare grits.
2cups very coarse grits
3cups skim milk
3cups water
1t salt
1/2 stick of butter
Soak the grits overnight in the water/milk well covered in the fridge. Put on low flame, add butter and cover. Cook at least 25 minutes stirring from time to time and adding more water if needed. This will give you the creamiest grits you have ever tasted.

Whatever is left over add finely shredded fresh parmesan cheese and mix it together. Turn into loaf pan and put in fridge. After it congeals slice it and grill in butter. Top it with a good ragu (no, not that crap that comes in a jar, ragu is meatsauce) Or just a good tomato sauce.

Or, leave out the parmesan and let it congeal, grill in butter and top with your favorite syrup. (I prefer Alaga)

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1