The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Grits

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 116
Author Message
stridge

  • Total Posts: 63
  • Joined: 1/1/2004
  • Location: danville, IL
Grits Thu, 02/26/04 8:48 PM (permalink)
Have any of you dear Children of the South ever heard of what the Yankees do with Grits? Hold on to your britches, they put milk and sugar on them.Gads!
 
#1
    frognot

    • Total Posts: 54
    • Joined: 2/16/2004
    • Location: Allen, TX
    RE: Grits Thu, 02/26/04 9:26 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stridge

    Have any of you dear Children of the South ever heard of what the Yankees do with Grits? Hold on to your britches, they put milk and sugar on them.Gads!


    Reckon they thought it was Cream O'Wheat?
     
    #2
      Cakes

      • Total Posts: 562
      • Joined: 9/11/2003
      • Location: Sarasota, FL
      RE: Grits Thu, 02/26/04 10:44 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by stridge

      Have any of you dear Children of the South ever heard of what the Yankees do with Grits? Hold on to your britches, they put milk and sugar on them.Gads!


      There is absolutley no truth to this. Yankees don't eat grits.

      Cakes
       
      #3
        lleechef

        • Total Posts: 6228
        • Joined: 3/22/2003
        • Location: Gahanna, OH
        RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 3:53 AM (permalink)
        Right! We don't eat GRITS, we eat GRIT.......lots of it. In mussels, in steamer clams, in your sandwich at the beach, sometimes in chowdah, on and on. Lots and lots of GRIT. It's a Yankee tradition. But not grits, no, never.
         
        #4
          Cakes

          • Total Posts: 562
          • Joined: 9/11/2003
          • Location: Sarasota, FL
          RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 9:06 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by lleechef

          Right! We don't eat GRITS, we eat GRIT.......lots of it. In mussels, in steamer clams, in your sandwich at the beach, sometimes in chowdah, on and on. Lots and lots of GRIT. It's a Yankee tradition. But not grits, no, never.


          Don't forget leeks.
           
          #5
            Rusty246

            • Total Posts: 2413
            • Joined: 7/15/2003
            • Location: Newberry, FL
            RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 10:05 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by stridge

            Have any of you dear Children of the South ever heard of what the Yankees do with Grits? Hold on to your britches, they put milk and sugar on them.Gads!

            My husband(from Tennessee)eats sugar(no milk)in his grits. It turns my stomach. It shouldn't bother me, BUT it does. I used to only put cheese in grits when I fried fish. Now I do it all the time, even when it's breakfast grits, well maybe not ALL of the time...I crumble crispy fried bacon up in mine. He just doesn't understand..
             
            #6
              chezkatie

              • Total Posts: 1329
              • Joined: 6/24/2001
              • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
              RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 10:20 AM (permalink)
              The first time I went to a southern state and saw grits on my breakfast plate I called the waitress over and asked her for a small bowl. She brought it back and then watched in amazement as I spooned the grits from my plate into the bowl and added sugar and milk. She looked at me like I was crazy and I could not figure out what her problem was!
               
              #7
                Kristi S.

                • Total Posts: 712
                • Joined: 7/23/2002
                • Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
                RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 10:50 AM (permalink)
                Nothing warms my heart more on a chilly Sunday morning than a steaming bowl of buttery grits with a fried egg on top (and lots of black pepper!).
                 
                #8
                  Adjudicator

                  • Total Posts: 5057
                  • Joined: 5/20/2003
                  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                  RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 10:53 AM (permalink)
                  Us here in South Southern Georgia actually have a Grits Festival. This place is still about 90 miles NORTH of where I live...

                  http://www.gritsfest.com/

                  We also partake in other (perhaps) strange celebrations.

                  http://www.caironet.com/RATTLE.HTM

                  http://www.swinetimefestival.com

                  http://www.caironet.com/MULE.HTM

                  http://www.floridaseafoodfestival.com

                  All of these hold one thing in common most important to us Southerners, food, and lots of it...



                   
                  #9
                    Rusty246

                    • Total Posts: 2413
                    • Joined: 7/15/2003
                    • Location: Newberry, FL
                    RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 11:16 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Adjudicator

                    Us here in South Southern Georgia actually have a Grits Festival. This place is still about 90 miles NORTH of where I live...

                    http://www.gritsfest.com/

                    And to what tune is the song sung too....does it have it's own?? We have a watermelon festval, a seafood festival, corn festival, strawberry festival, no grit festival
                     
                    #10
                      Scarlett

                      • Total Posts: 402
                      • Joined: 9/20/2003
                      • Location: Albemarle, NC
                      RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 11:28 AM (permalink)
                      Here in NC we enjoy a little red-eye gravy on our grits from time to time...

                      Scarlett
                       
                      #11
                        Rick F.

                        • Total Posts: 1736
                        • Joined: 8/16/2002
                        • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                        RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 11:31 AM (permalink)
                        Aaah. Grits. Real butter, salt, pepper. Red-eye gravy. Occasionally cheese and garlic.

                        But sugar and/or milk? The creeping gangrene of rampant Yankeefication!
                         
                        #12
                          scbuzz

                          • Total Posts: 844
                          • Joined: 3/7/2003
                          • Location: Sumter, SC
                          RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 11:52 AM (permalink)
                          My mother tells the story that when she and my father were first married and my mother being from South Carolina and my father being from Norristown Pa., she fed him grits for the first time and he put milk and sugar on them.

                          Well ... my mother had a "come to Jesus" meeting with him and he quickly learned the proper southern way to eat grits !!!!

                          Salt, Pepper, butter ... red eye gravy if you have it !!
                           
                          #13
                            Adjudicator

                            • Total Posts: 5057
                            • Joined: 5/20/2003
                            • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                            RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 11:57 AM (permalink)
                            The Ten Commandments of Grits:

                            Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.
                            Thou shalt not eat thy Grits with a spoon.
                            Thou shalt not eat Cream of Wheat and call it Grits for this is blasphemy.
                            Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors Grits.
                            Thou shalt only use Salt, Butter, Pepper, Cheese, and (occasional) gravy as toppings for thy Grits.
                            Thou shalt not eat Instant Grits!
                            Thou shalt not put sugar on thy Grits.
                            Thou shalt not put milk on thy Grits.
                            Thou shalt not put cream on thy Grits.
                            Thou shalt follow the above nine commandments at all times, especially when in the South. Not following these commandments will result in yourself immediately being the subject of laughter, finger pointing, and further ridicule.

                             
                            #14
                              Rusty246

                              • Total Posts: 2413
                              • Joined: 7/15/2003
                              • Location: Newberry, FL
                              RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 12:03 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Adjudicator

                              The Ten Commandments of Grits:

                              Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.
                              Thou shalt not eat thy Grits with a spoon.
                              Thou shalt not eat Cream of Wheat and call it Grits for this is blasphemy.
                              Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors Grits.
                              Thou shalt only use Salt, Butter, Pepper, Cheese, and (occasional) gravy as toppings for thy Grits.
                              Thou shalt not eat Instant Grits!
                              Thou shalt not put sugar on thy Grits.
                              Thou shalt not put milk on thy Grits.
                              Thou shalt not put cream on thy Grits.
                              Thou shalt follow the above nine commandments at all times, especially when in the South. Not following these commandments will result in yourself immediately being the subject of laughter, finger pointing, and further ridicule.



                              I guess I'll be a victim of all the above "subjects" as I eat my grits with a spoon, UNLESS they have cheese in them. It's not that I make them runny and can't eat them with a fork but after mixing the butter it in, I also like a little "pool" of butter on the top.
                               
                              #15
                                Rusty246

                                • Total Posts: 2413
                                • Joined: 7/15/2003
                                • Location: Newberry, FL
                                RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 12:07 PM (permalink)
                                I tell you grits that will make you say "gads" or worse. Have you ever had them where they were the consistency of paste and tasted like the smell of Desitin oinment? I'm serious! We ate at a place on Dale Mabrey in Tampa(restaurant escapes me)that was just nasty, just nasty. There was a time period that I did not eat grits due to that.
                                 
                                #16
                                  Rick F.

                                  • Total Posts: 1736
                                  • Joined: 8/16/2002
                                  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                  RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 12:11 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Rusty246
                                  I guess I'll be a victim of all the above "subjects" as I eat my grits with a spoon, UNLESS they have cheese in them. It's not that I make them runny and can't eat them with a fork but after mixing the butter it in, I also like a little "pool" of butter on the top.
                                  Adjudicator, would you consider an exception on the grounds of extreme need for this particular use of spoons? Should it perhaps be called the "Spoonerization Codicil"?
                                   
                                  #17
                                    Kristi S.

                                    • Total Posts: 712
                                    • Joined: 7/23/2002
                                    • Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
                                    RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 12:17 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Rusty246

                                    We ate at a place on Dale Mabrey in Tampa(restaurant escapes me)that was just nasty, just nasty.


                                    Rusty, as you well know, the whole stretch of Dale Mabry is "nasty".
                                     
                                    #18
                                      Adjudicator

                                      • Total Posts: 5057
                                      • Joined: 5/20/2003
                                      • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                      RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 12:28 PM (permalink)
                                      Things EVERY True Southerner Knows:

                                      The difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit.

                                      Pretty much how many fish make up a mess.

                                      What general direction cattywumpus is.

                                      That "gimme sugar" don't mean pass the sugar.

                                      When somebody's "fixin" to do something, it won't be long.

                                      The difference between Yankees and damn Yankees.

                                      How good a cold grape Nehi and cheese crackers are at a country store.

                                      Knows what "Well I Suwannee !!" means.

                                      Ain't nobody's biscuits like Grandma's biscuits !!

                                      A good dog is worth its weight in gold.

                                      Real gravy don't come from the store.

                                      When "by and by" is.

                                      How to handle their "pot likker".

                                      The difference between "pert' near" and "a right far piece".

                                      The differences between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and trailer trash.

                                      Never to go snipe hunting twice.

                                      At one point learned what happens when you swallow tobacco juice.

                                      Never to assume that the other car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to turn.

                                      You may wear long sleeves, but you should always roll 'em up past the elbows.

                                      You should never loan your tools, pick-up, or gun to nobody.

                                      A belt serves a greater purpose than holding Daddy's pants up.

                                      Rocking chairs and swings are guaranteed stress relievers.

                                      Rocking chairs and porch swings with an old person sitting in them are history lessons.



                                       
                                      #19
                                        Lone Star

                                        • Total Posts: 1730
                                        • Joined: 5/22/2003
                                        • Location: Houston, TX
                                        RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                        also:

                                        They know where "yonder" is.
                                         
                                        #20
                                          Art Deco

                                          • Total Posts: 889
                                          • Joined: 6/12/2002
                                          • Location: Nashville, TN
                                          RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 1:52 PM (permalink)
                                          I'm fixin' to email that list to my Mama...
                                           
                                          #21
                                            Michael Hoffman

                                            • Total Posts: 17826
                                            • Joined: 7/1/2000
                                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                            RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 3:52 PM (permalink)
                                            I eat my grits with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
                                             
                                            #22
                                              Bushie

                                              • Total Posts: 2902
                                              • Joined: 4/21/2001
                                              • Location: Round Rock, TX
                                              RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 4:18 PM (permalink)
                                              Grits n' gravy.
                                               
                                              #23
                                                Sundancer7

                                                RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                                Instant grits vs. regular prepared grits? Quite frankly I consume both but the best tasting ones are the ones that take the longest to prepare. Real hominy corn taste. It seems the instant ones lack something but still great.

                                                Grits with butter, salt and pepper are my favorite. Occasionally I add cheese and onions.

                                                Bushie is right with gravy.

                                                Paul E. Smith
                                                Knoxville, TN
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  redtressed

                                                  • Total Posts: 1017
                                                  • Joined: 5/10/2001
                                                  • Location: Morgantown, WV
                                                  RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 6:11 PM (permalink)
                                                  Grits are one of the essences of life. Ok...... maybe just my life. I far prefer the burlap bagged milled grits that I get from a local mill, sometimes Mabry Mill on the Virginia Blue Ridge Parkway, and a place in Georgia which I'm embarrased to say, I can't remember the name of atm. (ort, help me out here) In an ABSOLUTE pinch, I'll use Quaker grits, but it's just not the same at all. Like hot dogs and hamburgers, grits are an American Icon, whether you enjoy them or not.

                                                  Here's a rather mutated grits casserole I do:

                                                  Mah Grits


                                                  6 cups chicken broth
                                                  1 stick butter
                                                  1 3/4 cups of stone milled grits

                                                  Add chicken broth and butter to a dutch oven and bring to a simmer. Pour in grits and simmer until done. With stone milled grits, this should take about 25 minutes or therebouts.

                                                  As these are starting to simmer, in another saute' pan add the following:

                                                  1 cup roasted green Anaheim chilies, chopped
                                                  1 16 oz can of Juanita's Hominy or 2 cups of dried hominy which has been reconstituted. Try to use these as opposed to Bush's, store brand hominy etc......the difference between is marked and incredible.
                                                  12 oz bag of frozen corn........or in summer fresh off the cob corn.
                                                  4 garlic cloves, minced finely
                                                  1 stick of butter or 1/2 stick butter and some bacon grease drippins.

                                                  Melt butter and /or bacon grease. Toss the rest in and saute until the hominy starts to get slightly golden browned. Add this mixture to grits base and stir.

                                                  To this ever growing mix, add the following
                                                  2 Kraft Garlic Cheese rolls
                                                  3 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese
                                                  a couple dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
                                                  Dashes of ground red pepper to taste
                                                  4 tblsp fresh squeezed lime juice

                                                  Stirring constantly, add the above and continuing to stir until cheese is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.

                                                  In a big bowl, beat 6 eggs to a whipped frenzy. Fold this into the grits mix. Pour all the mess into a deep buttered casserole and toss into a 400 degree oven for about 25 mins, checking regularly for the top to start browning and the grits getting a bit of height on them.

                                                  Remove from the oven and sprinkle this over the top

                                                  2 cups mixed shredded cheeses, your choice but a sharp cheddar should be in the mix

                                                  2 cups Frito Lay Tostitos with a Hint of Lime chips, finely crushed.

                                                  Bake an additional 5 to ten mins, until cheese is melted and the chips very lightly browned.

                                                  This reheats very well






                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    Ort. Carlton.

                                                    • Total Posts: 3589
                                                    • Joined: 4/9/2003
                                                    • Location: Athens, GA
                                                    RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 7:11 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by redtressed

                                                    Grits are one of the essences of life. Ok...... maybe just my life. I far prefer the burlap bagged milled grits that I get from a local mill, sometimes Mabry Mill on the Virginia Blue Ridge Parkway, and a place in Georgia which I'm embarrased to say, I can't remember the name of atm. (ort, help me out here)


                                                    Redtressed,
                                                    We can find grits in bags from Seagraves Mill, but they're actually milled somewhere else. I can't think of what ones you're talking about, but I'll go by Bell's (independent food store) and see what they have and report back to you... unless I get forever banished from here to that great posting room in metropolitan Montevideo, Uruguay....
                                                    Bet'cha can't eat just one (grit, that is)!
                                                    Seeking Hominy, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
                                                    P. S. I often DO eat my grits with a spoon, even if they are thick. It's just easier for me: I've always done it thataway. Here's hoping Adjudicator doesn't hate me for life now: I'd never get to sop up red eye gravy with him....
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      Art Deco

                                                      • Total Posts: 889
                                                      • Joined: 6/12/2002
                                                      • Location: Nashville, TN
                                                      RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 9:12 PM (permalink)
                                                      Dang Redtressed, that sounds incredible! I think I may have to make that next time we do a church dinner... I like to get grits from Falls Mill here in Belvedere, TN. In a pinch, those grits from Bob's Red Mill (in Oregon) are quite good and are readily available in most groceries around here (usually in the "health food" section)...
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        Adjudicator

                                                        • Total Posts: 5057
                                                        • Joined: 5/20/2003
                                                        • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                        RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 9:33 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by redtressed

                                                        Grits are one of the essences of life. Ok...... maybe just my life. I far prefer the burlap bagged milled grits that I get from a local mill, sometimes Mabry Mill on the Virginia Blue Ridge Parkway, and a place in Georgia which I'm embarrased to say, I can't remember the name of atm. (ort, help me out here)


                                                        Redtressed,
                                                        We can find grits in bags from Seagraves Mill, but they're actually milled somewhere else. I can't think of what ones you're talking about, but I'll go by Bell's (independent food store) and see what they have and report back to you... unless I get forever banished from here to that great posting room in metropolitan Montevideo, Uruguay....
                                                        Bet'cha can't eat just one (grit, that is)!
                                                        Seeking Hominy, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
                                                        P. S. I often DO eat my grits with a spoon, even if they are thick. It's just easier for me: I've always done it thataway. Here's hoping Adjudicator doesn't hate me for life now: I'd never get to sop up red eye gravy with him....


                                                        OK. Guess I should ease up on the spoon "issue". I have been known to do it at times, also . I also guess I should ease up on the toppin's fer grits as far as the hot sauce goes... I done did that also... I'm so ashamed (NOT)...
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          redtressed

                                                          • Total Posts: 1017
                                                          • Joined: 5/10/2001
                                                          • Location: Morgantown, WV
                                                          RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 9:41 PM (permalink)
                                                          I found it, I found it, I found it!

                                                          http://www.noramill.com/aboutus.html

                                                          That's the Georgia gristmill I was referring to.........WONDERFUL stuff
                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            Art Deco

                                                            • Total Posts: 889
                                                            • Joined: 6/12/2002
                                                            • Location: Nashville, TN
                                                            RE: Grits Fri, 02/27/04 10:05 PM (permalink)
                                                            Here's the folks I referred to above. They put out a quality product, if you can handle 10 pounds at a time...

                                                            http://fallsmill.com/store.html
                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 116

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com