The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Gross'

stridge

• Total Posts: 63
Gross' Sat, 02/25/06 2:42 PM (permalink)
I still say the best Hamburger I ever had( in the last 20 years)
is a tripple Grossburger just south of Danville IL in Hegler on State route 1 at Gross'
they grind the meat every day on site
the fries are better than grits

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
    RE: Gross' Mon, 05/28/07 2:38 PM (permalink)
    They're discussing this (Grossburger) over at Chowhound http://www.chowhound.com/topics/352884 and it sounds well worth a stop.
    We visited The Field Of Dreams and promptly got lost after leaving. We saw a sign saying "Homemade hamburgers" on an ancient white building that looked like it might have been a hotel 100 years ago. Inside, a woman that might have been the cook at the hotel grand opening made us up some burgers in an electric frying pan. I was sure we had struck out, but that burger remains the absolute best burger I've ever eaten and I have no idea where it was or what its name was.
    Heck yes, if someone says a place is worth a detour, I'm there.
    You can bet that when we pass Mattoon Illinois on I-57 heading to the South next time, we'll detour to The Burger King (not part of the chain) and hear Gene the singing hamburger joint owner! That sounds like Roadfood at its finest.

mjsneddon

• Total Posts: 230
      RE: Gross' Tue, 05/29/07 1:59 PM (permalink)
      I have lived in Mattoon for the past 25 years and am very familiar with Gene Houts' Burger King. I don't think Gene does much singing any more but they still make some pretty good hamburgers. And, just in case you didn't get enough cholesterol in your burger and fries, step up to the ice cream window for desert.

I don't go there real often but every once in a while you just have to; know what I mean?

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
        RE: Gross' Tue, 05/29/07 3:19 PM (permalink)
        I might be passing through Danville on I-74 this August; I'll keep Gross' in mind. I see they're closed on Sunday, though...

Thanks!

Brad

SmallTown

• Total Posts: 1
          RE: Gross' Mon, 07/16/07 12:52 PM (permalink)
          My fiance and I stopped at Gross' on Saturday evening. I had the weekly special of a tripleburger (with cheese), fries, and 44 oz. drink (all for $5.39) and she had the mozeralla burger. The burgers were excellent - thin and just crispy enough. Fries were also very good. The service was fast, the food was excellent, and the place just has character. Very patriotic - lots of Marine/military historical decor, as some of the family has served (and may still be in the service). Total bill for us was just under $10.

all in all, a very good experience and we will definitely be going back.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
            RE: Gross' Mon, 08/27/07 9:43 AM (permalink)
            I stopped at Gross' this past Friday and wasn't disappointed. The price of the Triple Special has gone up a bit ($5.99 total incl. tax) from what the previous poster mentioned but it was still a good deal for the money. Very good hamburger; usually I'd be worried that a thoroughly cooked thin patty would be dry but no problems here. I don't know the source of the fries but they're nicely seasoned as well.

As an aside, a little further north on IL-1 is "Mike's Grill", which looks to be a drive-in and their sign advertises 50 years of business. And right next door is "Mike's Chill", which is apparently an ice cream stand. I was way too full to even think about stopping!

Brad

easydoesit

• Total Posts: 470
              RE: Gross' Tue, 08/28/07 6:40 AM (permalink)
              Hey MilwFoodlovers, I have got an out of the way burger for you. I know you get to Trempealeau once in a while. We moved to La Crosse this summer, and have been exploring the area. A few weeks ago we headed to the Trempeauleau Hotel to try the "Walnut Burger," but first checked out the town a little. While at the lock and dam we noticed a little restaurant/bait shop/boat landing called Hungry Point just a few hundred feet away. We thought we would have a beer and watch the river go by before we ate. But when we saw the burgers the kitchen was serving others, we had to try them. They were unbelievable! Plain old cheesburgers with fried onions, but crunchy, cheesey, meaty, melt in your mouth, slide down your throat kind of thing. I know I am going on a little here, but they were that good. No salt & pepper, mo condiments, just some good pickles on the side.

Well, we have been talking about them ever since and wondered if it was just a one time fluke, which has happened to us before. So yesterday we decided to check. Nope -- I took one bite and knew it was no fluke. They were just as good as the first time. We told that to the owner (Teenie - short for Christina) amd she said they will be just as good the next time too. She was pleased with our compliments but not surprised, as she has heard many times how good those burgers are.

So now we will start taking family there. I still want a Walnut Burger really bad, but I am going to have trouble getting my wife to go past Hungry Point.

In short, give 'em a shot. Cheeseburger 5 bucks, add a dollar for fries.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
                RE: Gross' Tue, 08/28/07 7:00 AM (permalink)
                We'll be up that way next spring and I'll be sure to try it. My walnut burger was.... well, it was worth a try but maybe the kitchen was rushed the day I tried it (it was at a festival).

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com