Ground Hog Day

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Ground Hog Day 2006/02/03 09:44:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Got it now. A fine movie.
The Bear
Thank you, Screenbear.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
RE: Ground Hog Day 2006/02/03 10:16:06 (permalink)
D.J.: Rise and shine, campers, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.

NED: Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!

Phil: I'm a god. I'm not *the* God... I don't think.

Rita: I like to see a man of advancing years throwing caution to the wind. It's inspiring in a way.

Rita: Why would anybody want to steal a groundhog?
Larry: I can think of a couple of reasons... the pervert.

Piano Teacher: Not bad... Mr. Connors, you say this is your first lesson?

Phil: When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter.

Phil: It's so beautiful!... Let's live here. We'll rent, to start.

roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Ground Hog Day 2006/02/03 13:47:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

Did anyone get my joke at the beginning of this thread?

I was brain dead!
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Ground Hog Day 2006/02/04 14:57:06 (permalink)
This year, Groundhog Day and the State of the Union address occurred during the same week.

If you think about it, this is an ironic juxtaposition of events:

One event involves a meaningless annual ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication while the other event involves a groundhog.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18390
RE: Ground Hog Day 2006/02/04 17:16:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Any news from Punxsutawney Phil?

Buckeye Chuck saw his shadow, too.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Ground Hog Day 2006/02/04 17:18:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by zataar

In these parts, ground hog is nothin' but a pork burger.

We usually roast them. Grinding them would be sort of a waste. We use possum for that.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Ground Hog Day 2006/02/04 17:19:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

For some reason groundhogs or whistle pigs have chosen to live under my boathouse for the last several years. I have had to have a animal control person come and trap these animals and relocate them at a cost of $100. They raid my garden and in one evening, they stripped my entire bean patch. It appeared that a frost had taken off every leaf and left the stem. I have no idea why they return year after year. It must be the scent.

At times I felt like shooting them but I could not do it so I paid the price.

My dock is sort of large. It extend into the lake better than 40 feet and the boat house is inland and is a 12/18 structure and that is where they like to live. They undermine the structure and thus making the boathouse less stable.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I didn't know they were allowed to release trapped groundhogs in Tennessee. I know that's illegal in Ohio. Here you have to kill them. It's the same with raccoons.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: Ground Hog Day 2006/02/04 17:45:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

For some reason groundhogs or whistle pigs have chosen to live under my boathouse for the last several years. I have had to have a animal control person come and trap these animals and relocate them at a cost of $100. They raid my garden and in one evening, they stripped my entire bean patch. It appeared that a frost had taken off every leaf and left the stem. I have no idea why they return year after year. It must be the scent.

At times I felt like shooting them but I could not do it so I paid the price.

My dock is sort of large. It extend into the lake better than 40 feet and the boat house is inland and is a 12/18 structure and that is where they like to live. They undermine the structure and thus making the boathouse less stable.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I didn't know they were allowed to release trapped groundhogs in Tennessee. I know that's illegal in Ohio. Here you have to kill them. It's the same with raccoons.

I do not think it is illegal as the same guy has done it for several years and he is listed in the yellow pages. I do not think he could do it if it was not allowed.

For some reason, they enjoy living under my boathouse which is close to my garden and they raid the hell out of my beans. He traps them and relocates them to a wildlife refuge where no harm comes to them.

They return year after year. It must be because of some smell or musk that they leave.

I hae had to have them removed for at least ten years.

They like my bean patch and I have found my beans more than once totally stripped of leaves and beans. Just the skeleton of the bean remained.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxvillle, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Ground Hog Day 2006/02/04 20:17:09 (permalink)
I have to trap the things out from around my foundation, and from areas around my field. But I have to kill them, because it's illegal to let them loose after trapping. I use a Hav-a-Hart trap and I just toss it into the creek at the end of a line to drown them, unless I'm going to eat them. The varmint-removal companies in Ohio advertise removal and relocation, but they are required by law to kill groundhogs and raccoons. It's a rabies thing.
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Ground Hog Day 2006/02/06 13:26:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

Did anyone get my joke at the beginning of this thread?

Now I see said the blind man. When I just read this thread, I thought you were having internet problems. Yeah, that is one of my favorite movies.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1