Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 95
mikez629

• Total Posts: 307
RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 8:47 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Header, my favorite way to do small chunk chili is to boil some ground chuck, no browning. It seperates better that way and still tasts good. Do you cook small chunk, and if so, how?
Joe

Small chunk is easier if you freeze the meat for 1-2 hours-very easy to chop

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
    RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 9:46 AM (permalink)
    This thread is beginning to sound like Waffle House---Scattered, Smothered, Covered, Ground, Chili Ground, Big Cubed, Little Cubed, Sliced, Shredded, Diced, Chopped, etc

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
      RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 11:18 AM (permalink)
      If you combine all the ways to chop or grind the meat, along with all the ways to cook the meat, along with all the things to add while cooking the meat... the combintions... like Carl Sagan said, could be "billions and billions"!!!
      Joe

Foodbme

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 11:24 AM (permalink)
        quote:

If you combine all the ways to chop or grind the meat, along with all the ways to cook the meat, along with all the things to add while cooking the meat... the combintions... like Carl Sagan said, could be "billions and billions"!!!
        Joe

Chili is like Potato Salad----No two batches ever turn out the same!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6082
          RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 11:26 AM (permalink)
          Now that's the truth!!

PapaJoe8

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 11:52 AM (permalink)
            My saying is;

Every pot has it's own soal.
            Joe

leethebard

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 1:53 PM (permalink)
              Ooooh I like that. Mind if I steal it?

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 2:13 PM (permalink)
                I don't think there was anything the matter with what you made,and it should have won some sort of prize for being delicious. Robb Walsh in his book,TexMex Cooking goes into the origin of Texas chili
                and the famous San Antonio Chili Queens.
                From what I hear,as far as the sancitioned cookoffs go,there are no beans,and the meat is supposed to be cubed i believe,but am not sure.
                Chili with pasta is something from Cincinnati,as they don't serve chili like that around here.

I think beans got introduced into chili when someone added them to chili as an extender,since they may not have been able to afford a lot of meat.However,I could be wrong.

PapaJoe8

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 2:19 PM (permalink)
                  No prob Lee. I probably stole it from sombody.

I sugested once starting a chili cook off that had only one rule;
                  There are no rules.

Several around here lked that idea.

Oh, I just thought of a good name;
                  The outlaw chili cook off.

Joe

plb

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 7:13 PM (permalink)
                    On Goodeats AB used cubed meat - beef, pork and lamb.

Foodbme

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 7:28 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by HollyDolly

I don't think there was anything the matter with what you made,and it should have won some sort of prize for being delicious. Robb Walsh in his book,TexMex Cooking goes into the origin of Texas chili
                      and the famous San Antonio Chili Queens.
                      From what I hear,as far as the sancitioned cookoffs go,there are no beans,and the meat is supposed to be cubed i believe,but am not sure.
                      Chili with pasta is something from Cincinnati,as they don't serve chili like that around here.

I think beans got introduced into chili when someone added them to chili as an extender,since they may not have been able to afford a lot of meat.However,I could be wrong.

Based on my research, you're basic assumptions are correct. You're post is right on!

PapaJoe8

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 8:14 PM (permalink)
                        Anyone tried to cook the Chili Queen chili?
                        Joe

JoeEats

• Total Posts: 45
                          RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 02/22/08 8:33 PM (permalink)
                          I believe in competition they accept both coarse (chili) grind and cubed beef. I make a texas red as well as what I call Yankee Chili, in which I use ground sausage, cubed beef and shaved steak, along with beans added at the very end.

Foodbme

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sat, 02/23/08 2:17 AM (permalink)
                            quote:

Joe

From the research library of the Institute of Texan Cultures comes this chili queen recipe (slightly updated for shopping convenience).

Ingredients:

2 lbs beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes

1 lb pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes

¼ cup suet

¼ cup pork fat

3 medium-sized onions, chopped

6 garlic cloves, minced

1-quart water

4 acho chiles

1 serrano chile

6 dried red chiles

1 Tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground

2 tablespoons Mexican oregano

Salt to taste

Place lightly floured beef and pork cubes in with suet and pork fat in heavy chili pot and cook quickly, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and cook until they are tender and limp. Add water to mixture and simmer slowly while preparing chiles. Remove stems and seeds from chile and chop very finely. Grind chiles in molcajete and add oregano with salt to mixture. Simmer another 2 hours. Remove suet casing and skim off some fat. Never cook frijoles with chilies and meat. Serve as separate dish.

MiamiDon

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sat, 02/23/08 9:21 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
                              Originally posted by MiamiDon

They're nuts. The original authentic chili is made with chunks of meat.

FWIW, my Texas friends tell me that one can get "chili grind" beef in the markets there. Evidently it is run just once through a grinder with a 1/2" plate, and is a convenient compromise.

really? If one believes chili was invented in Texas, then one would have to subscribe to the idea that dried beef, probably pulled into shreded pieces, would likelyt be the "original authentic chili," not cubed or chunked meat. Even chili in Texas today doesn't commonly use dried beef.

Chili, today in the US, has cast such a wide net of styles, that it's difficult to believe that all chili dishes owe their origins to Texans. Especially of one does a little research. Meat sauces are so common among ethnicities, one could even argue that those lonesome cowboys in Texans were merely making a meat sauce using the ingeedients they had access to: dried beef, peppers, water.

As per beans in chili, even sactioned events have an entire category of chili that must include either beans or pasta. That catagory is rated and a winner is selected. And, as I've said before, the only reason sanctioned events have such limiting factors on the ingredients isn't because their competition defines chili, rather the rules are in place in order to produce chilis that can actually be compared to each other. If the ingredient list was wide, it would be very difficult to judge the varying styles. In addition, competition chili, in general, is much hotter than any chili actually served from a restaurant. Chili parlors would go out of business if they only served competition style chili. Which brings the whole idea that competition chili is any more "authentic" than other chilis into suspicion.

Anyway, as per the topic, the judges should've selected the best tasting, rather than best of the style they were most comfortable with, since there doesn't seem to have been a limitation on style. Therefore, I agree with Foodbme, that you, mikez629, are the winner!
                              Take a bow sir! your chili looks mighty fine.

The dried-beef, fat and chili "brick" for trail food theory is only one of many concerning the origin of chili. *None* of the others mention dried meat.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chili/ChiliHistory.htm

I like chunks!

blizzardstormus

• Total Posts: 274
                                RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sat, 02/23/08 11:49 AM (permalink)
                                To win the International Chili Society championship, only cubed meat seems to win. However, I have noticed in my years of cooking competition chili that judges are different in various parts of the country. For example, Illinois chili cookoffs are won by ground beef.

The best thing to do before entering a contest is to find out how the judging for the particular cookoff has been in the past.

But the emphasis for you should be to HAVE FUN!

By the way, I won the 2007 World's People Choice Chili using ground beef.

leethebard

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sat, 02/23/08 12:02 PM (permalink)
                                  Congrats. blizzrdstormus....what else was in that chili?

WVCitySlicker

• Total Posts: 90
                                    RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sat, 02/23/08 12:46 PM (permalink)
                                    Hey Big_g, that pot of Texas "Bowl of Red" chili looks awesome - have you ever won any ribbons with that recipe. Gotta a question, I've never used Masa Harina (although it's available locally), could corn meal or corn starch be used instead?

Foodbme

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sat, 02/23/08 1:09 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

Joe

From the research library of the Institute of Texan Cultures comes this chili queen recipe (slightly updated for shopping convenience).

Ingredients:

2 lbs beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes

1 lb pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes

¼ cup suet

¼ cup pork fat

3 medium-sized onions, chopped

6 garlic cloves, minced

1-quart water

4 acho chiles

1 serrano chile

6 dried red chiles

1 Tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground

2 tablespoons Mexican oregano

Salt to taste

Place lightly floured beef and pork cubes in with suet and pork fat in heavy chili pot and cook quickly, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and cook until they are tender and limp. Add water to mixture and simmer slowly while preparing chiles. Remove stems and seeds from chile and chop very finely. Grind chiles in molcajete and add oregano with salt to mixture. Simmer another 2 hours. Remove suet casing and skim off some fat. Never cook frijoles with chilies and meat. Serve as separate dish.

P.S. - Please note that there are no tomato based products in here and NO BEANS!

PapaJoe8

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sat, 02/23/08 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                        Thanks Foodb! I wish I had been around to have the Queens serve me a bowl!
                                        Joe

Foodbme

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sat, 02/23/08 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by WVCitySlicker

Hey Big_g, that pot of Texas "Bowl of Red" chili looks awesome - have you ever won any ribbons with that recipe. Gotta a question, I've never used Masa Harina (although it's available locally), could corn meal or corn starch be used instead?

If you can get the Masa, that's what I'd use. FINE GRIND Corn Meal will work but I don't think I'd use Cornstarch. Masa & Cornmeal give it a little more texture, flavor and body, IMHO>

Foodbme

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sat, 02/23/08 1:35 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:

Thanks Foodb! I wish I had been around to have the Queens serve me a bowl!
                                            Joe

Here's a neat story about the "Queens" from NPR.
                                            http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4107830

PapaJoe8

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sat, 02/23/08 1:50 PM (permalink)
                                              Thanks again Foodb! Yep, neat story. What a shame the closed down the Chili Queens.

Corn, masa... I use masa and corn tortillas, 2 tortillas per lb. of meat, in most pots I cook. The corn tortillas melt and give a good flavor I think. And, I always have those in the fridge.
                                              Joe

WVCitySlicker

• Total Posts: 90
                                                RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sat, 02/23/08 10:08 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:

quote:

If you can get the Masa, that's what I'd use. FINE GRIND Corn Meal will work but I don't think I'd use Cornstarch. Masa & Cornmeal give it a little more texture, flavor and body, IMHO>

Thanks Foodbme, I'll buy some Masa and make me a big pot of Texas "Bowl of Red" chili.

Big_g

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/27/08 9:48 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

quote:

I've never tried a contest...maybe one of these days
                                                  Stick with the Masa if you can get it. Be sure to let it cruise for a bit after you add the Masa....let it get comfy with everybody else...or if you can do it, let it set overnight and then heat it up...WOW, I Love it on the second and third days

PapaJoe8

• Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                    RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Thu, 02/28/08 8:01 AM (permalink)
                                                    I use masa and corn tortillas most times.

Your right Big G, time in the fridge makes a BIG difference.

Did I already say that a slow cooked chopped up chuck roast works good?
                                                    Joe

Big_g

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Thu, 02/28/08 11:10 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:

I use masa and corn tortillas most times.

Your right Big G, time in the fridge makes a BIG difference.

Did I already say that a slow cooked chopped up chuck roast works good?
                                                      Joe

Not sure...but its killer good with letover brisket too

leethebard

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Thu, 02/28/08 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                                        Does chili cook better in a pressure cooker? Last night on Good Eats,Alton Brown did a show on Chili and he seemed to imply his Chili(made with beef,pork and lamb chunks), cooked better in a pressure cooker? Do any of you have that experience? How about that meat trio of his?

PapaJoe8

• Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                          RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Thu, 02/28/08 11:24 AM (permalink)
                                                          I use beef and pork but not lamb. For the pork I use a tube of breakfast sausage, or even Italian susage. I have even put chopped up link sausage in chili.

I have a 22 qt. stainless steel low pressure pot that I use for chili. I think it cooks things faster but not sure it tasts different? I have a real pressure cooker but I never use it. My low pressure stuff is just to asy to use. I started a thread a long time ago about this type of cookware but I think I may be the only one here that uses it. It does any kind of slow cooked meats fast and good. Nine hours for a roast in the crock pot, three hours in the low pressure pot.
                                                          Joe

HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
                                                            • Location: Denver, CO
                                                            RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Thu, 02/28/08 11:38 AM (permalink)
                                                            On Good Eats last night, the show was about making Chili. Alton Brown suggested substituting crushed tortilla chips instead of the masa.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 95

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com