Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 95
alesrus

• Total Posts: 292
RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Thu, 02/28/08 11:46 AM (permalink)
I was looking around last night on the web and ran across this site http://www.chilicookoff.com/default.asp

they are the international chili society. There is a list of each years winner and his or her recipe
Believe me they give away no secrets.
here is last years winner. Jerry Buma
$25,000.00 Winning Recipe

Boomas Revenge

Ingredients:

3 lb tri tip
1 med onion minced
1 sm can green chiles diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 can chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp Tabasco
1 8 oz. can Hunt's tomato sauce

Blend together:
2 tbsp mexico hot powder
2 tbsp mexico mild powder
2 tbsp california hot powder
2 tbsp california mild powder
3 tbsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp msg
1 tsp mexican oregano

Instructions:

Brown meat in small batches; return to pot with veggies, chicken broth, and half the spice mix. Simmer 2 hrs. Add remaining spice mix and cook for 1 hr. adding liquid if necessary. Adjust seasonings to personal taste last 15 min.

justtable

• Total Posts: 101
    RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Thu, 02/28/08 11:47 AM (permalink)
    Whether it is ground or chunk beef, cubed pork, now even chicken or turkey. Chili, like BBQ means many things to many people. Most of which of the home made variety is pretty darn good. The canned stuff is for the birds though.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
      RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Thu, 02/28/08 12:19 PM (permalink)
      Chili made from a smoked turkey is something I have not tried, or??? have I? I love those Sunday House smoked turkeys!
      Joe

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
        RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Thu, 02/28/08 12:47 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by MiamiDon

The dried-beef, fat and chili "brick" for trail food theory is only one of many concerning the origin of chili.

uh, yup. That's why I said "it's difficult to believe that all chili dishes owe their origins to Texans. Especially of one does a little research. Meat sauces are so common among [many] ethnicities."

Chili, is merely a meat sauce. To say it was ""invented in Texas" is a stretch. To say that CinCin Chili or other "Yankee Chilis" are direct derivatives of Texas chili, would be short sighted. Which is why I believe all these other types of chilis are just as much chili, as Texas Red.

I'm open to the whole gamut of chilis. Each region's chili rests on it's own merit and owes nothing to Texas.

What kills me is, that some of the same people who laud countries like Italy and France and other European countries for having such distinct regional cooking because the locals use the local ingredients, don't have the same views on American cuisine. The idea that chili can't have beans or pasta, or cheese, or (enter ingredient here) is riduculous.

Why not extend the same European virtues to American cuisine? For example, I grew up believing that only mustard should top a hotdog - unless it was a Texas hot. But god forbid I try to extend that philosophy to my friends in Chicago or North Carolina. And, what do I love about NC hotdogs? well, it's not the meat (like my dogs in NY), but the wonderful balance of chili and slaw - oh my, all the way is double g good! I've also gotten a couple friends from NC hooked onto coneys (that's upstate NY talk for our famous white hots - not the mid-west chili dog).

That's the beauty of regional cooking. And what I thought roodfoad celebrated!

So, that's my only point. I get a little irked when I hear how "X" chili isn't chili because it doesn't fit the perameters of one particular region's version, or it doesn't fit the ICS standards.

PapaJoe8

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Thu, 02/28/08 2:28 PM (permalink)
          Well said Score! I love all kinds of chili, and even green chile stew.
          Joe

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
            RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 09/3/08 5:53 PM (permalink)
            In my competition chili I use stew beef. I slice each piece as though it were a miniature roast. I also add Italian sausage squeezed out of the casing. On one occasion I chunked up some venision steaks. Man was that good! If I want a quick chili I use ground beef and Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili mix.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
              RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 09/3/08 9:01 PM (permalink)
              It's different texture...but it's the flavor and spices that get me....Either is fine and variety IS the Chili spice of life!!!

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
                RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 09/3/08 9:22 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
                Originally posted by MiamiDon

The dried-beef, fat and chili "brick" for trail food theory is only one of many concerning the origin of chili.

uh, yup. That's why I said "it's difficult to believe that all chili dishes owe their origins to Texans. Especially of one does a little research. Meat sauces are so common among [many] ethnicities."

Chili, is merely a meat sauce. To say it was ""invented in Texas" is a stretch. To say that CinCin Chili or other "Yankee Chilis" are direct derivatives of Texas chili, would be short sighted. Which is why I believe all these other types of chilis are just as much chili, as Texas Red.

I'm open to the whole gamut of chilis. Each region's chili rests on it's own merit and owes nothing to Texas.

What kills me is, that some of the same people who laud countries like Italy and France and other European countries for having such distinct regional cooking because the locals use the local ingredients, don't have the same views on American cuisine. The idea that chili can't have beans or pasta, or cheese, or (enter ingredient here) is riduculous.

Why not extend the same European virtues to American cuisine? For example, I grew up believing that only mustard should top a hotdog - unless it was a Texas hot. But god forbid I try to extend that philosophy to my friends in Chicago or North Carolina. And, what do I love about NC hotdogs? well, it's not the meat (like my dogs in NY), but the wonderful balance of chili and slaw - oh my, all the way is double g good! I've also gotten a couple friends from NC hooked onto coneys (that's upstate NY talk for our famous white hots - not the mid-west chili dog).

That's the beauty of regional cooking. And what I thought roodfoad celebrated!

So, that's my only point. I get a little irked when I hear how "X" chili isn't chili because it doesn't fit the perameters of one particular region's version, or it doesn't fit the ICS standards.

Totally agree. Its like a "curry" or a "hash": more about the preparation than the ingredients. It all has its place and the best made versions are all pretty delicious.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                  RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 10/17/08 12:49 PM (permalink)
                  I use whatever meat I see at the store and strikes my fancy at the time. Most of the time I'll used cubed chuck or sirloin (browned in a little olive oil). And if I can find it at a good price, I'll add some chorizo to the pot.

crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
                    RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 10/17/08 1:56 PM (permalink)
                    Big_G

Love the Texas Red. And on the grill cooking.

A few years ago, when I made a similar style (adapted from an award winning Terlingua recipe given to me by the competitor) for an office competion, I got beat out by all sorts of combos of ground beef/leftover T-Day turkey, chopped onions, bell peppers, celery, carraway seeds, whole tomatoes, corn, potatoes, you name it. Folks in these neck of the woods think chili is beef soup and more than a teaspoon of chili powder is playing with fire.

KingT

• Total Posts: 75
                      RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Fri, 10/17/08 2:15 PM (permalink)

Why not both? although my recipe has changed and I leave out a few "secrets" here is my winning recipe from TOC's chili cookoff two years ago.
                      T's Tex-Mex Chili

8 rib-eye steaks/sirloin steak (with bones if avail.)
                      4 lbs ground beef
                      1 pkg bacon, chopped
                      6 jalapeno peppers
                      2 red bell peppers
                      2 green bell peppers
                      2 Anaheim peppers
                      2 poblano peppers
                      1 orange pepper
                      1 cubanelle pepper
                      3 medium onions, chopped
                      1 bunch green onions, chopped
                      3 sticks celery, chopped
                      6 cloves garlic chopped
                      2 32-oz cans of tomato sauce
                      2 cans stewed diced tomatoes
                      2 cans Tex-Mex pinto beans with juice
                      1 can beer (I use High Life)
                      1 can beef broth
                      1 cup fresh salsa
                      8 tbl of mild chili powder
                      (I use Gephardt's, ordered online from texas)
                      1 pkg of New Mexico chili powder
                      2 tbl ground cumin
                      1 tbl cayenne pepper
                      1 tbl ground chipotle powder
                      1 tbl hot paprika
                      1 tsp ground mustard
                      1 tsp white pepper
                      1 tsp black pepper
                      1 tsp Mexican oregano
                      1 tbl Worcestershire sauce
                      Lawry’s seasoning salt to taste
                      Hot sauce if you like it spicy

Set grill for high and grill rib-eyes about 4 minutes on each side. Let cool.

Cook bacon pieces in large skillet until crisp, remove pieces from skillet and set aside. Add the peppers, onions, celery and garlic to the pot with the fat and sprinkle salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce into the pot and mix and cook until onions are translucent.

Remove veggies from pan. Add ground beef to skillet. While meat is browning, cut rib-eyes into small chunks and remove any gristle. Be sure to take the juices from the meat on your pan and dump it into the pot.

When the beef is done drain the fat. Combine veggies, ground beef and rib-eye meat in a large stockpot. Add remaining spices, beer, beef broth, tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes and mix well.

Bring to a boil then simmer.Let cook uncovered for 4 hours stirring every now and then. After 4 hours, add the bacon pieces, salsa and beans and stir them through. Adjust seasonings to taste. best the nest day

Note: be careful when adding the tomato sauce, add it cup by cup because you can always add more but not remove it. You dont want it soupy and the right consistency is important (you gotta figure that out). If you use steak with bones, make sure to throw a few of them into the pot as the chili simmers.

No this isnt my whole recipe but one day you come try it a a chili cookoff or my chili grill (coming one day in the future)

This is alot of chili, so break down the recipe if there are only a few eating, it doeas freeze well and make great stuff like chili dogs and enchiladas etc...play around with it and add stuff you like. enjoy.

mncorn

• Total Posts: 151
                        RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sun, 11/30/08 5:50 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by HollyDolly

I don't think there was anything the matter with what you made,and it should have won some sort of prize for being delicious. Robb Walsh in his book,TexMex Cooking goes into the origin of Texas chili
                        and the famous San Antonio Chili Queens.
                        From what I hear,as far as the sancitioned cookoffs go,there are no beans,and the meat is supposed to be cubed i believe,but am not sure.
                        Chili with pasta is something from Cincinnati,as they don't serve chili like that around here.

I think beans got introduced into chili when someone added them to chili as an extender,since they may not have been able to afford a lot of meat.However,I could be wrong.

I agree with you...cubed meat, no beans. I spent ten years in San Antonio starting in the mid 1980's. I went to a few chili cook offs and I agree with you. Buffalo Gap had one that I would go to and get my northern taste buds burned off. There was a catfish place just outside the gate of Randolph AFB (not Poor Richards), do you know the name?

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                          RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Mon, 02/2/09 9:42 PM (permalink)
                          HotDogHead

On Good Eats last night, the show was about making Chili. Alton Brown suggested substituting crushed tortilla chips instead of the masa.

but that's because he's a eastern effete liberal
                          <message edited by bill voss on Tue, 02/3/09 9:09 AM>

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                            RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Tue, 02/3/09 7:31 AM (permalink)
                            Or maybe just a smart cook!!!!!!!

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
                              RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/4/09 2:55 AM (permalink)
                              In northern West Virginia, i've only been subjected to chili with ground beef and beans. I like the beans in the chili although they seem to catch a lot of flack around here for some reason.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
                                RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/4/09 6:13 AM (permalink)
                                leethebard

Or maybe just a smart cook!!!!!!!

I think he's a food science graduate with an annoying personality!

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                  RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/4/09 7:51 AM (permalink)
                                  Cubed in my book.

MellowRoast

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/4/09 8:21 AM (permalink)
                                    Actually I love any tasty chili, including chunks or cubes, but prefer a coarse chili-grind (made with a 3/8" to 1/2" hole grinder plate) run through the grinder only once.  And the beans served on the side.

MellowRoast

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/4/09 8:33 AM (permalink)
                                      MellowRoast

Actually I love any tasty chili, including chunks or cubes, but prefer a coarse chili-grind (made with a 3/8" to 1/2" hole grinder plate) run through the grinder only once.  And the beans served on the side.

Exception:  If it's chili for a hot dog, grind the heck out of it.  And leave the beans in the can.

BioTeacher

• Total Posts: 43
                                        RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Tue, 02/17/09 11:08 PM (permalink)
                                            I am making a chili for a cook-off at our school.  I call it 7-star chili. It has beef, pork. venison, and lamb as the first four stars.  Pinto beans w/ jalepenos, chili hot beans and black beans as the remaining stars.  (The lamb is replacing bison since Krogers is out).
                                            This is my first cooking contest.  Last year a vegetarian chili won.

BioTeacher

PapaJoe8

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/18/09 8:49 AM (permalink)
                                          Bio... poor lambs!

Bill Voss, I have been using corn tortillas... instead of masa since... before Alton was born. Hey... it works. :~)

Chips??? When they melt they are probably the same?
                                          Joe

BioTeacher

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/18/09 4:43 PM (permalink)
                                            PapaJoe
                                                But they are so tasty
                                            BioTeacher

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                              RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/18/09 5:29 PM (permalink)
                                              Chunks-O-Beef for me

MellowRoast

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/18/09 5:48 PM (permalink)
                                                PapaJoe8

Bio... poor lambs!

Bill Voss, I have been using corn tortillas... instead of masa since... before Alton was born. Hey... it works. :~)

Chips??? When they melt they are probably the same?
                                                Joe

Do you just crumble the corn tortillas into the chili and it will thicken on it's own?

MellowRoast

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/18/09 5:51 PM (permalink)

Chips
                                                  Cosmos

Chunks-O-Beef for me

Great lookin' bowl of chili!

PapaJoe8

• Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                    RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/18/09 7:35 PM (permalink)
                                                    Melow, the corn tortillas melt completely. They add some thickness... and some tiny bit of flavor. I just cut them in strips. You gotta add em early so they have time to melt. Just 2 per lb. of meat.
                                                    Joe

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                                                      RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/18/09 7:51 PM (permalink)
                                                      MiamiDon

They're nuts. Authentic chili is made with chunks of meat.

FWIW, my Texas friends tell me that one can get "chili grind" beef in the markets there. Evidently it is run just once through a grinder with a 1/2" plate, and is a convenient compromise.

Yes, that's true. All the markets in Dallas and I mean, ALL the markets, sell coarse, "chili grind" beef for chili. Without beans, of course.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                                                        RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Wed, 02/18/09 7:56 PM (permalink)
                                                        plb

On Goodeats AB used cubed meat - beef, pork and lamb.

Yeah, but he's from Atlanta. 

BioTeacher

• Location: Maumelle, AR
                                                          RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sun, 02/22/09 12:16 AM (permalink)
                                                          I was not the winner of the Contest.  One of the judges said she did not eat lamb.  However the students seen to like it, even if it was a little spicy for most of them

BioTeacher

MellowRoast

RE: Ground meat chili or chunk beef chili? Sun, 02/22/09 3:44 AM (permalink)
                                                            PapaJoe8

Melow, the corn tortillas melt completely. They add some thickness... and some tiny bit of flavor. I just cut them in strips. You gotta add em early so they have time to melt. Just 2 per lb. of meat.
                                                            Joe

Thank you.  Just to clarify, you're referring to corn tortillas as you'd use for tacos, rather than corn tortilla chips, right?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 95

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com