The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Grouper Scandal

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49
Author Message
oltheimmer

  • Total Posts: 214
  • Joined: 6/25/2006
  • Location: Houston, TX
RE: Grouper Scandal Fri, 08/11/06 11:56 PM (permalink)
There were articles about this a couple of years ago here also, both the substitution of lesser fish and the pork for veal thing. The most common substitutions here were tilapia for red snapper, basa, or 'Vietnamese catfish' for catfish, and Chinese crawfish tails for the much more expensive and much tastier Louisiana crawfish.
 
#31
    GordonW

    • Total Posts: 924
    • Joined: 11/13/2003
    • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
    RE: Grouper Scandal Sat, 08/12/06 12:49 AM (permalink)
    There was the red snapper scam of a few years ago -- lots of fish sold as red snapper in fact is not.

    http://research.unc.edu/endeavors/win2005/snapper.php

    But the fake scallop thing generally is regarded as legend.

    http://www.nyseafood.org/dc.asp?dc_id=52&node_id=231&document_id=3198&func=view_doc
     
    #32
      oltheimmer

      • Total Posts: 214
      • Joined: 6/25/2006
      • Location: Houston, TX
      RE: Grouper Scandal Sat, 08/12/06 9:43 AM (permalink)
      The article on red snapper is very similar to what was published here 2 or 3 years ago. I remember scarlet snapper and rockfish, apparently also called bay snapper, mentioned as substitutes, but tilapia is the most common.

      One local restauranteur claimed he couldn't get red snapper for less than $17-18 a lb. and had to charge $27 as I recall, but those figures were hotly disputed. I use price as a guideline. If a restaurant offers a red snapper dish for $7.95, it's less likely you're going to get real red snapper.
       
      #33
        seafarer john

        RE: Grouper Scandal Sat, 08/12/06 11:32 AM (permalink)
        Thanks , Gordon W, for the item on fake scallops- I spent almost 2 hours yesterday trying to find any citation of the legend and failed - it never occured to me to go to the NY Seafood council, a well known authority that I should have thought of.

        I guess the answer is: yes, it has been tried, but probably not successfuly, and yes there are recipes for skate wings that are probably pretty good in their own right.

        Cheers, John
         
        #34
          lleechef

          • Total Posts: 6256
          • Joined: 3/22/2003
          • Location: Gahanna, OH
          RE: Grouper Scandal Sat, 08/12/06 7:19 PM (permalink)
          A few seafood facts: There is no fish called grouber, it's grouper.

          The seafood industry has long been accused of punching out skate wings for scallops. Anyone who can't tell the difference between skate and a scallop, well, shame on you. Not to defile the lowly skate, it's very tasty. There is a restaurant in Paris that specializes in skate. But it sure is not a scallop!

          Scrod is a size definition. There is scrod cod (or haddock), market cod and whale cod. There is no fish called a "scrod" contrary to what New Englanders believe.

          Now the question of wild vs. farm raised salmon. Up here there is no farm raised salmon, just like there's virtually no wild salmon in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately the USDA has not yet really stepped into the seafood arena, HACCP certified processors are just as good.

          Seafood 101 is now over!
           
          #35
            fhoran

            • Total Posts: 185
            • Joined: 5/27/2006
            • Location: Walpole, MA
            RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 9:31 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by TJ Jackson

            err....so there is a fish called a grouber?

            (question is serious...I have no idea....seriously.....I don't know much about fish, but I've heard of a grouper but have never heard of a grouber)


            No but there is a "groper" which is defined as a middle-aged guy trying to find his way to the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning on the lights and waking up his wife. I think that most of the places that serve "scrod" around Boston do use cod but there is no such fish as a scrod (I can't be sure about them using cod as I usually forget to bring my DNA test kit when I go out to eat but it usually looks like it). And to Greymo, I too remember my first whole belly fried clam (I was probably about 5 years old). Clam strips should be illegal! Fred
             
            #36
              Adjudicator

              • Total Posts: 5057
              • Joined: 5/20/2003
              • Location: Tallahassee, FL
              RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 9:39 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by lleechef

              A few seafood facts: There is no fish called grouber, it's grouper.

              The seafood industry has long been accused of punching out skate wings for scallops. Anyone who can't tell the difference between skate and a scallop, well, shame on you. Not to defile the lowly skate, it's very tasty. There is a restaurant in Paris that specializes in skate. But it sure is not a scallop!

              Scrod is a size definition. There is scrod cod (or haddock), market cod and whale cod. There is no fish called a "scrod" contrary to what New Englanders believe.

              Now the question of wild vs. farm raised salmon. Up here there is no farm raised salmon, just like there's virtually no wild salmon in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately the USDA has not yet really stepped into the seafood arena, HACCP certified processors are just as good.

              Seafood 101 is now over!



              So, scallop wise. Do "sea scallops" exist that are in reality scallops? I am only familiar with "bay scallops", which I pretty much assume are the real thing.
               
              #37
                fhoran

                • Total Posts: 185
                • Joined: 5/27/2006
                • Location: Walpole, MA
                RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 10:35 AM (permalink)

                Bay scallops are smaller, usually growing to about 10cm while Sea scallops are two to three times larger. Both are real and tasty. Fred
                 
                #38
                  Adjudicator

                  • Total Posts: 5057
                  • Joined: 5/20/2003
                  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                  RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 10:59 AM (permalink)
                  A 20cm to 30cm REAL scallop? Please.
                   
                  #39
                    Trencher

                    • Total Posts: 12
                    • Joined: 8/13/2006
                    • Location: Sarasota, FL
                    RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 1:21 PM (permalink)
                    how many inches are in 30 cm?

                    leigh
                     
                    #40
                      Michael Hoffman

                      • Total Posts: 17850
                      • Joined: 7/1/2000
                      • Location: Gahanna, OH
                      RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 1:26 PM (permalink)
                      11.81
                       
                      #41
                        the ancient mariner

                        • Total Posts: 3987
                        • Joined: 4/6/2004
                        • Location: st petersburg, florida
                        RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 1:56 PM (permalink)
                        Whats a cm ???? I have enough trouble with inchs and feets.
                         
                        #42
                          Trencher

                          • Total Posts: 12
                          • Joined: 8/13/2006
                          • Location: Sarasota, FL
                          RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 1:58 PM (permalink)
                          that's NOT right. no scallop gros to over 11 inches!
                           
                          #43
                            seafarer john

                            RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 2:02 PM (permalink)
                            Sea Scallops run about an inch to an inch-and-a-half. Bay Scallops run to about a half inch and sometimes a bit larger. Beware of bay scallops- a lot of them are really coquina (sp?) , a bivalve that lacks the sweetness and delicate flavor of the real bay scallop.

                            Cheers, John
                             
                            #44
                              fhoran

                              • Total Posts: 185
                              • Joined: 5/27/2006
                              • Location: Walpole, MA
                              RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 7:24 PM (permalink)
                              Well okay, I was watching the Red Sox on replay and said "cm" when should have said "mm". So sue me. Well, actually, please don't. The bay scallops (around here sometimes called "calico bay scallops" which is Latin for "I could have been a skate" )are about the size of one of those foam rubber earplugs shooters use (or they work pretty well if your wife snores too)to protect their hearing. Sea scallops are usually 2-3 times that but can be the size of a biscuit. Fred
                               
                              #45
                                mayor al

                                • Total Posts: 15073
                                • Joined: 8/20/2002
                                • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 7:43 PM (permalink)
                                Fred,
                                No big deal. Some folks got all excited about the typo... Forget it. Most places I see scallops use the definition and description close to what you (and Joh and others) just said. Small ones are Bay Scallops and Large ones are Sea Scallops. Scallops are probably my favorite seafood of all!!! I love Sea Scallops in almost every form!!
                                The rest of you just calm down and start cutting your fellow members some slack.
                                 
                                #46
                                  lleechef

                                  • Total Posts: 6256
                                  • Joined: 3/22/2003
                                  • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                  RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 7:45 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Adjudicator

                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by lleechef

                                  A few seafood facts: There is no fish called grouber, it's grouper.

                                  The seafood industry has long been accused of punching out skate wings for scallops. Anyone who can't tell the difference between skate and a scallop, well, shame on you. Not to defile the lowly skate, it's very tasty. There is a restaurant in Paris that specializes in skate. But it sure is not a scallop!

                                  Scrod is a size definition. There is scrod cod (or haddock), market cod and whale cod. There is no fish called a "scrod" contrary to what New Englanders believe.

                                  Now the question of wild vs. farm raised salmon. Up here there is no farm raised salmon, just like there's virtually no wild salmon in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately the USDA has not yet really stepped into the seafood arena, HACCP certified processors are just as good.

                                  Seafood 101 is now over!



                                  So, scallop wise. Do "sea scallops" exist that are in reality scallops? I am only familiar with "bay scallops", which I pretty much assume are the real thing.

                                  Heck yes, they exist! You can get "diver" scallops, u-8 to u-10 to u-15 scallops. The diver scallops look like hockey pucks, they're so large. The u-8, u-10s and u-15s are very tasty too. The Florida Bay scallops are in my opinion.....well......nasty. Then there are the Nantucket Bays which can only be harvested in November......they get a premium price and are delicious. Up here in AK we have Kodiak scallops from the sea, so sweet, so lovely, so delectable, makes you glad you're an Alaskan! New England also has lovely scallops from No Man's Land and Maine.
                                   
                                  #47
                                    fhoran

                                    • Total Posts: 185
                                    • Joined: 5/27/2006
                                    • Location: Walpole, MA
                                    RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 8:08 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

                                    Fred,
                                    No big deal. Some folks got all excited about the typo... Forget it. Most places I see scallops use the definition and description close to what you (and Joh and others) just said. Small ones are Bay Scallops and Large ones are Sea Scallops. Scallops are probably my favorite seafood of all!!! I love Sea Scallops in almost every form!!
                                    The rest of you just calm down and start cutting your fellow members some slack.


                                    Thanks Mayor. Actually when I saw the responses, which correctly pointed out that my increments were just a tad overstated, I started laughing as I was thinking about "Barry Bonds Scallops" or "Michelin Tire Man Scallops". I didn't feel "flamed" but thank you for your consideration and your work as administrator. Fred
                                     
                                    #48
                                      fhoran

                                      • Total Posts: 185
                                      • Joined: 5/27/2006
                                      • Location: Walpole, MA
                                      RE: Grouper Scandal Sun, 08/13/06 8:49 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by xannie_01

                                      fhoran,
                                      i love your posts!
                                      you never fail to bring a smile to my face.
                                      dayle


                                      Thanks Dayle.
                                       
                                      #49
                                        Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49

                                        Jump to:

                                        Current active users

                                        There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                        Icon Legend and Permission

                                        • New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

                                        2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com