Guerro

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2008/03/07 14:18:27 (permalink)

Guerro

There was a write up in the Village Voice this week about a little Mexican restaurant in Sunset Park/Brooklyn called Restaurante Tanqueria Guerro featuring food from that province (stretching from the outskirts of Mexico City to the Pacific).

It features a lot of foods I've never heard of, such as sopes, huaraches, verdolaga (an herb), puerco con mole verde, grab cecina (salted dried beef) and various seafood dishes. It also says that "Guerras like their food hotter than almost anyone else."

Is anyone else familair with this region, or these dishes?

4 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Guerro 2008/03/07 15:42:51 (permalink)
    It's Guerrero. I'm familiar with sopes, as they're popular around these parts. I do know that people from that state love the Arbol chile pepper, which is quite a hot one. I've had many a meal prepared by Guerreroistas and have never been disappointed. My favorite was fried mojarra (a fresh water fish) with pintos and chile arbol.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Guerro 2008/03/07 17:17:39 (permalink)
    I am a little familiar. I will be heading for Puerto Vallarta next Thursday. Sopes are another name for tostadas. Huaraches are like gorditas execept shaped in an oval like the sole of a sandal or huarache, and topped with pork, beef or whatever and lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocados or whatever you want. Puerco con mole verde you probably already figured out is pork with green mole sauce. Cecina is a name for any dried meat, same as jerky more or less. Guero is a term for a light skined person with blond hair it is used a lot as a nickname for someone off that discription. With a rr it is most likely a last name, the word means "Guerra" means "War". Guerrero is a state on the Pacific coast where Acapulco is.
    joe
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Guerro 2008/03/09 12:49:20 (permalink)
    I saw a newmagazine program on tv this morning that featured a restaurant in L.A. that specializes in food form Oaxaca. I have never been there but the dishes they showed looked really good. Oaxaca is the state that borders Guerrero to the south so the food should be about the same. As we also discussed on another thread it is famous for its moles. If anyone is in L.A. you may want to try it.

http://www.guelaguetzarestaurante.com/

joe
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: Guerro 2008/03/09 13:33:42 (permalink)
    The sides are pinched in a sopes not unlike a miniature masa based mini-pizza. Good stuff!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1