Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet

Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4305
2012/07/27 16:47:38 (permalink)

Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet

Another thread locked up while trying to raise a legitimate issue (and I notice some very reasonable and thoughtful responses have been deleted as well), so I guess we'll address it one post per new thread at a time.

Regarding political discussion on a food thread, here's the policy over at LTHForum, a Chicago-centric food site (For those who don't know as they read this, Chicago is located in Cook County):

Sometimes food conversations have political or religious implications. We don't want to stifle talk that brings in that larger world, but there comes a point where a discussion leaves the road of culinary chat and takes off for a completely different destination—at which point it belongs on a completely different board. So here's a pocket guide:
--Talking about a mayor who cooks killer waffles is good.
--Talking about a mayor who kills waffle cookers is starting to drift.
--Talking about a mayor who waffles on killings in Cook County is off-topic.

Let me suggest that all Roadfood posters follow this guide in posting, and all Roadfood moderators follow its suggested level of tolerance for those posts.

The thread at issue was posted in the Professional's Forum.  It related to a political action retaliating against a business owner's outspoken personal moral code.  Granted, it was a very specific situation, but the overarching question; is it okay (or even legal for that matter) for civic actions to either punish or reward a business based on issues that are protected by the First Amendment, was relevant and on topic to the professional restaurateurs who populate that forum.

Random politics shouldn't be allowed on a site dedicated to food.  But on those few legitimate occasions where politics and food meet, there should be a healthy, objective discussion of the facts and ideas surrounding the case.

Buddy

23 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7316
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/27 17:08:28 (permalink)
    So how about those Pirates, huh?  I hear they serve up a pretty good Primanti's sandwich at PNC park. 
    Too political?  Well then y'all can go root for the Yankees.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18891
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/27 17:12:11 (permalink)
    lleechef 

Too political? 

Well, it all depends on which candidate you're calling a pirate.

I'd sooner hang then root for the Yankees.

Oh, and PNC Park is fantastic!

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4566
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/27 17:19:03 (permalink)
    Buddy, I hope you're not talking about our Mayor!

I think the CFA case is revelent to discuss because it shows the overeaching of politicians in the business community.  Reminds me of what Joey Vento went through when he asked his customers to please order in English.

The politicians in Chicago will lose, just like the City of Brotherly Love did.  There is also a very good chance CFA will sue the City and win.  And the real loser will end up being the taxpayer....as usual.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/27 18:07:44 (permalink)
    Look, the Chik-Fil-A case is not political.  It has nothing to do with Democrat or Republican; conservative or liberal.  It is a matter of personal integrity and Constitutional law guaranteed by the First Amendment.

Here's an excerpt from my reply to a complimentary PM sent to me by Michael Hoffman:

If you believe in Free Speech, then you believe in it for EVERYBODY, not just the people whose ideas you agree with.  As a Jewish man who grew up in the Skokie area in the '60s and '70s, I saw first hand ugly antisemitism.  But when the nazis wanted to march in Skokie, as much as I despise their goals and agenda, I thought it was our duty as Americans to allow that march (with careful police control) to happen.  I find the kkk equally vile, but they should still be allowed to adopt and care for that stretch of highway in Georgia.  I support Gay Rights and Gay Marriage, but dammit, the people over at Chik-Fil-A, as long as they're not discriminating against anyone, are not required to agree with me in order to get a business license.

If I believe in Free Speech for me, and if I have even the slightest bit of integrity, then I have to believe in it for EVERYONE.

The situation at Gino's Steaks is different.  While I sympathize with Mr. Vento's frustration over non-English speaking customers, there is nothing in our Constitution requiring citizens to speak a common language.  I don't disagree with his desire to have everyone speak English, but he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Buddy

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/27 18:32:11 (permalink)
    The Joey Vento situation was about Joey Vento. He made a statement and a stance and he was there to deal with whatever followed suit. He did not have thousands of owner/operators staff and customers who just want to maybe have a chicken sandwich in peace.

I don't care where he falls on the issue of gay marriage. I also don't think it's fair to make any statement about any issue that could inspire so many dopes who will show up on both sides to protest or support the cause...putting those owners and employees in a more difficult position from the time they pass the protests...take orders not knowing what to say about it...deal with people debating it on-site...checking their Yelp pages and seeing statements about them personally in response to a statement that they would be either fired for...or contract broken over...if they made and did anything to create such a storm.

No matter how you feel about the matter which has no place in the business of fast food...just the fact that those people have to face this while the person expressing his opinion as a "right" or not does not have to show up every day...sucks for them. He is known as the owner of CFA. The only reason he would be interviewed about this...is his position of the company. When it's all about you...have your say. When there are loyal employees who work in the field...think twice about them before you say ANYTHING pro con or otherwise about something that has nothing to do with business.

I will pray every prayer I know for the family of this man...

http://ww2.ajcmobile.com/...-a-public-1486023.html
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/07/27 19:33:06
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/27 20:42:41 (permalink)
    We have now had three threads on this same issue.

I would like to have some tolerance of these threads but it has been proven time and again the discussion will not remain civil.

Entire threads are often deleted because I am not going to spend hours sifting through a pile of manure to see if there is anything valuable. 

The bottom line is that here is what the rules say:

1. RULES OF CONDUCT 
    Due to the high probability of discussions involving political or social issues degrading into exchanges that will violate the first two rules of this forum, such discussions are forbidden. Posts in violation will be deleted. Continued violation of this guideline can lead to loss of posting privileges. 

I'd prefer to not have a zero tolerance policy, but when these things just keep blowing up, that is where we may have to head.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6412
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 00:56:43 (permalink)
    I've been on the back roads of the Yukon and Alaska and haven't read a newspaper or watched TV in over a month. It's refreshing. Politics, what's politics?
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2767
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 01:32:01 (permalink)
    Pinko!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4566
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 08:51:42 (permalink)
    No more posting on this thread today.  It's Tony Bad's birthdayso let's give him the day off

Happy Birthday!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 09:43:14 (permalink)
    Davydd

I've been on the back roads of the Yukon and Alaska and haven't read a newspaper or watched TV in over a month. It's refreshing. Politics, what's politics?

I know the feeling.  You're lucky and yes, it is VERY refreshing.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4278
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 10:28:38 (permalink)
    Why does the preference for shouting rather than discussing not surprise me?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 10:30:55 (permalink)
    lleechef

So how about those Pirates, huh?  I hear they serve up a pretty good Primanti's sandwich at PNC park. 

Yeah, but they also serve Augustine's as "the official pizza". 

lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 10:47:11 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

lleechef

Never had an Augustine's pizza but it looks like you don't think it's good so I'll stick with Primanti's.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18891
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 10:47:37 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

lleechef

Speaking politically, I've never heard of Augustine's, but have you seen all the other fantastic food offered at PNC Park? I can't wait to go back -- but on a day when my shoes don't melt from the heat.

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 11:34:43 (permalink)
    I'm sure that there's a whole heck of a lot of people here with whom I disagree vehemently on politics, but with whom I agree completely and wholeheartedly on food.

I'm good with that. Lets eat.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 13:33:01 (permalink)
    Oh...Happy Birthday to you Tony!

I could have sworn you had a Birthday a few months ago...but I guess not. You're certainly entitled to several throughout the year considering...

We'll have to go look at the if you were born today part of the horoscope.

Oh my...

Uranus continues to transit trine your Sun this year.

Have a good day!!! SPF 110!
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/07/28 13:55:26
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 14:21:32 (permalink)
    I concur with my friend Mosca. i worked in politics for 12 years, have strong political beliefs but saw and continue to see the corrosive effects of political discussions on this website. I usually don't discuss politics on the internet because i don't think very many people are going to change life long views based on 4 lines of brilliant analysis by me on the internet. I've seen too many discussions degenerate into name calling to want to see it very much. There are lots of other places on the net to discuss and argue politics and social issues. i personally would prefer that this place be reserved for food and nonpolitical discussions because I think those are the things that those of us who remain would prefer to discuss.
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2346
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/28 15:28:56 (permalink)
    Happy Birthday, Tony!!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/29 08:33:02 (permalink)
    Did you get anything good?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/29 10:15:43 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

MetroplexJim

lleechef

Speaking politically, I've never heard of Augustine's, but have you seen all the other fantastic food offered at PNC Park? I can't wait to go back -- but on a day when my shoes don't melt from the heat.

Augustine's Pizza.  What memories.  They served it in out high school cafeteria back in the '60's for a quarter a slice; I can't believe they're still in business.  But, they are:  http://www.augustinespizza.com/home.html .

Recipe (should you want to try it at home):  Take a slice of Wonder Bread, smear it with ketchup, sprinkle with dried oregano, basil, & parmesian.  Bake.  Enjoy! 

----------
    Heat in Pittsburgh?  You'd have to walk through a steel mill to experience what we have here in Dallas!

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/07/30 08:47:33 (permalink)
    Ahh...the good ole days....mayonaise vs salad dressing.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/08/03 10:58:17 (permalink)
    carlton pierre

Ahh...the good ole days....mayonaise vs salad dressing.

Indeed!  Miracle Whip RULES!!! 

(Sorry for shouting, but it's just that good).
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Guidelines For Discussing Legitmate Issues Where Food And Politics Meet 2012/08/03 11:20:29 (permalink)
    Somebody grab the Kool-Aid.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1