Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup...............

Author
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 590
2010/06/19 12:03:55 (permalink)

Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup...............

I had an old cajun friend that made homemade gumbo the right way with fresh seafood right off the boat from NOLA.  He would take one day to chop up the vegetables using fresh out of the garden onions, peppers and oakra.  He worked on a tow boat that went from Cairo IL to NOLA and back.  He would pick up the seafood in NOLA right off the seafood dock and keep it on ice then bring it back home by car when he got off work for a few weeks.  He made the roux from scratch.  It took two days but it was good.

My question is this.  I have never made a roux and I could probably do it fine but I started using a Zatarain's gumbo mix.  I add to the recipe by boiling the recommended amount of water with a can of whole tomatoes, chopped onion, celery, garlic and peppers.  I add the mix easily stirring as I add it as it will stick.  After a couple of hours I add the seafood which is usually from Kroger's and not the seafood dock at NOLA.  I add oakra along that time which comes from Kroger too but it's good gumbo.  I make it thich like a stew but my wife always adds tomato sauce to thin it up some. 

Also I hardly every make gumbo except in the winter.  It's something about wanting a bowl of hot soup in the winter but not in the summer when it's so very hot. 

Thanks for your response.  Good old Zatarain.  Oh and I get the kind with no rice in it.  Actually we cook rice on the side for our guests but usually don't add it for outselves.  We like it right out of the pot. 

26 Replies Related Threads

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2063
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/19 12:35:10 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what your question is.....   How to make roux or if using Zatarain's is OK.  ......  I've made a gumbo twice in past 2 months.  Everyone loved it both times.    ....  Anyway most recipes calls for equal parts oil and flour. I use about 75% oil to 1 part flour.  My recipe to serve 8 to 10 calls for 1/2 cup oil & flour, I use 1/2 cup oil maybe a little more to 3/4 cup flour.    Heat oil on medium heat, add flour an stir until golden or as dark as you like.  The mixture should look thin or watery while cooking.     It will thicken when boiling after adding water or other cooking liquid.

Littleman
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/19 14:12:04 (permalink)
    I'm sorry I was not clear.  I just don't want to stand there and stir that roux.  I would probably burn it up and not know it then the gumbo would be terrible with the burned roux.  I just wonder what folks think about making gumbo with the Zatarain's mix.  Works good for me.  Thanks.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/19 14:13:27 (permalink)
    Yes, gumbo is a soup, but you probably wanted Recipes & Cooking Techniques.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10072
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/19 15:40:52 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

IMHO Gumbo is not a soup! If it's in any group, it's closer to a Stew. Calling Gumbo a soup is like calling a Prime Filet 75/25 Hamburger! 

LITTLEMAN:
    Here's a source for pre-made roux if you don't want to make it from scratch. Turn your speakers on when you open the site for some good 'ol Kick Ass Cajun Music
    http://www.pochesmarket.com/
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/06/19 15:42:40
    Littleman
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/19 18:30:48 (permalink)
    Thanks.  I will order some up.  Good eating. 
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/19 18:55:26 (permalink)
    You must stir roux at all limes. My Aunt drives up from La... ya know  the real La with 20 lbs of Mud bug, Tasso. all the godies.. I make my roux with one pound of Butter one pound of Flour. Yes I make ton of gumbo. if you keep the heat low and slow u can melt the butter , then start adding the flour.. NEVER stop stiring.. the Roux is darker according to how thick u want the stew. Or how much Okra u add... File is a nother thicker .. I like a god roux.. IMHO
    Angelle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/19 19:33:11 (permalink)
    Gumbo is not soup~

First off, If you want to make gumbo, first you make a ROUX~

Use equal amounts of fat (usually veggie oil) and flour to make a roux. Heat your oil (start off at low/med high if you are a beginner) in a nice skillet like a well seasoned cast iron, then add the flour and stir with a whisk. It willbegin to change color from a "blond" roux until it is a very dark  brown. Continue to stir until it reaches a nice dark peanut color or even darker (remember when you add the veggies it will lighten up the roux), and do not leave the mixture or it can burn quickly, and if that happens you have to throw it out and start all over again.

At this point, you can either add the veggies or store the roux in a covered jar for use at a later time. It will keep in the frig for weeks! You can use a roux in your gravies as needed.

Add your veggies to the hot roux, and stir until veggies are wilted, then add your seasonings (you must also know your seasonings for gumbo)

A blond roux is usually used for an Etouffee, a  Creole, or other dishes that should not be dark. Not many folks would add tomato sauce to a gumbo for any reason. Creoles do add tomatoes but not tomato sauce. The Cajuns usually do not add tomatoes to their gumbos, or their Jambalaya. 

There is nothing better than a well made roux to make you gumbo taste like it should. The ROUX is what give the gumbo that rich nutty flaver that makes the gumbo delicious.

My family (who are all Creole cooks) makes the best Duck, Crab & Shrimp Gumbo you have ever tasted. Be sure to make a delicious potato salad to go along with your gumbo.

Again, if you want to make gumbo, first you make a ROUX~

Or, you can use the packaged stuff :)

Good luck!
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 07:26:26 (permalink)
    Foodbme

MiamiDon

IMHO Gumbo is not a soup! If it's in any group, it's closer to a Stew. Calling Gumbo a soup is like calling a Prime Filet 75/25 Hamburger! 

LITTLEMAN:
    Here's a source for pre-made roux if you don't want to make it from scratch. Turn your speakers on when you open the site for some good 'ol Kick Ass Cajun Music

Foodbme, That was my first thought as I read Littleman's original post. I've never tried any of the other Cajun purveyors as everything I've ever ordered from Poches has been outstanding.

Littleman, I'd round out my order with their excellent andouille (a must for gumbo), some tasso, and a variety of boudin. To best enjoy the boudin, after cooking, wrap in a piece of paper and take it outside and eat it off the tailgate of your truck!
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 09:24:27 (permalink)
    I have a favorite recipe that is called Chicken Gumbo Soup and it does not involve a roux - heresy, I know! But it is a good soup and the base freezes well. First you cook your chicken to obtain the de-boned, skinned chicken meat and chicken broth. Then you cook your chopped vegetables in some oil, add in your broth, tomatoes and seasonings and simmer until done and the flavors meld. Add in the chicken meat, cool, and then you can freeze. To serve, heat the thawed soup, pour a ladle full over hot rice, top with crumbled cooked bacon and fresh chopped parsley. Serve this on a cold night with some good bread and enjoy!

Freezing the soup base without the rice insures that you won't have mushy rice when you serve the soup.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1153
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 11:14:11 (permalink)
    Littleman, there's so many types of gumbos, with just about every type of ingredient imaginable.  Over rice, and served with French bread, it's very hearty, and like others mentioned, it's more like a stew than a soup.  We never ate it that way growing up, but some folks put a big dollop of potato salad in the middle of their gumbo bowl. 

I had a co-worker who swore by Zatarain's and I did try it, but there's something in it that leaves an aftertaste, and I don't like it.

I wouldn't give up on making roux yourself, and there's so many gumbo and roux recipes online to help.  A couple come to mind:

www.gumbopages.com
    www.nomenu.com
    check out Poppy Tooker's Diaspora Gumbo recipe

There's a book by Sara Roahen called Gumbo Tales, you might enjoy as well.  It doesn't really have much to do with gumbo, but the book,  " Tom Fitzmorris' Hungry Town"  is a good read also.  You can also check out some of Emeril's recipes on the Food Network, and remember even with his training as a chef, if a transplant from Fall River, Mass. can come here to cook Creole food and gumbo, so can you.  

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 13:10:40 (permalink)
    BelleReve

Littleman, there's so many types of gumbos, with just about every type of ingredient imaginable.  Over rice, and served with French bread, it's very hearty, and like others mentioned, it's more like a stew than a soup.  We never ate it that way growing up, but some folks put a big dollop of potato salad in the middle of their gumbo bowl. 

I had a co-worker who swore by Zatarain's and I did try it, but there's something in it that leaves an aftertaste, and I don't like it.

I wouldn't give up on making roux yourself, and there's so many gumbo and roux recipes online to help.  A couple come to mind:

www.gumbopages.com
    www.nomenu.com

There's a book by Sara Roahen called Gumbo Tales, you might enjoy as well.  It doesn't really have much to do with gumbo, but the book,  " Tom Fitzmorris' Hungry Town"  is a good read also.  You can also check out some of Emeril's recipes on the Food Network, and remember even with his training as a chef, if a transplant from Fall River, Mass. can come here to cook Creole food and gumbo, so can you.  

Very Good Post but Potato Salad in Gumbo??????? THAT's Disgusting!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 13:14:55 (permalink)
    douginvirginia

Foodbme

MiamiDon

LITTLEMAN:

Foodbme, That was my first thought as I read Littleman's original post. I've never tried any of the other Cajun purveyors as everything I've ever ordered from Poches has been outstanding.

Littleman, I'd round out my order with their excellent andouille (a must for gumbo), some tasso, and a variety of boudin. To best enjoy the boudin, after cooking, wrap in a piece of paper and take it outside and eat it off the tailgate of your truck!

I Agree. Poche's Andouille is the best I've ever eaten. I go on their web site every once in a while just to listen to the music! Boosts my spirits!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 13:25:18 (permalink)
    BelleReve

www.gumbopages.com
    www.nomenu.com

THANX! for the www.nomenu.com site. It's the best one I've seen on NOLA.
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 13:29:14 (permalink)
    gumbo is just the french word for okra.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 13:34:58 (permalink)
    bdtn

gumbo is just the french word for okra.

THAT IS INCORRECT my dear bdtn:
    Gumbo: Derived from various Bantu dialects (Southern & Central Africa) terms for okra (i.e. quingumbo, grugombo, gumbo, gombo, ngombo gomboaud, ngumbo, ochinggombo). (The word is one of very few African language words brought over by slaves which have entered the English language. Some of the others are goober or goober pea (peanut) also of Bantu dialect origin, Yam from West Africa, and cooter (turtle) of Bantu and Mandingo origin.

BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1153
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 13:59:41 (permalink)
    Foodbme - I'm not kidding about the potato salad, - in fact I saw someone eating it that way in Breaux Bridge, LA.  I think it's mostly a Cajun thing.

Angelle
    Junior Burger
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 14:52:50 (permalink)

GUMBO is not a French word for okra.

It is African for Okra.
    Angelle
    Junior Burger
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 14:55:08 (permalink)
    Foodbme,

Your answer is much more thorough than mine :)

Thx!

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 15:10:51 (permalink)
    BelleReve

Foodbme - I'm not kidding about the potato salad, - in fact I saw someone eating it that way in Breaux Bridge, LA.  I think it's mostly a Cajun thing.

Couldn't possibly have been a Cajun!" />" />
    Must have been a Tourist from NJ!
    John Fox maybe!
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 20:33:20 (permalink)
    the french will use a native word if ther is no french word as choufleur  means cauliflower or the word for frying pan is griswould whitch refers to   an old us co that made cast iron  frying pans .creole is cadian french [from novia scotia canada, spanish,and african blend] it is said the first seeds for okra came to us on the slave ships in the hair of slaves along with watermelon,blackeye peas, and sweet potatoes so ther is more to the story what you can google if you study food in many worlds ther is a lot more thats  meets the eye like cilantro and chilis in mexico and thiland how is it they are using same seasonings for thousands of years could it be that world food and trade has been around much longer than relized[roadfood]just trying to be positive not not a expert on one little thing after 40 years as a pro eater and food service pro i still dont know it all but am still a \work in progess and every day  i learn some thing new if its from the chinese doc who is a dish man because he cant get a job in the us with his degree or the mayan indian or the pakisani master ice carver or the japanese knife master[hocho] just keep a open mind and learn with out being
    a expert on any one thing try to be positive it goes a lot to a happy life and a longrer one than one to attack any litte thing that you think is wrong
    or the mayan indian
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 20:53:55 (permalink)
    Boy it's been a while ...

Being from Acadiana (St. Martinville, to be exact) I have had my share of gumbo.  Every few miles you move north, south, east or west you get a different version.

I grew up on gumbo that had a soup consistency (My grandmothers' and my mom's).  My wife, from Mamou, grew up on gumbo that was almost stew-like.  I've eaten gumbo so thin (especially the seafood kind) that you needed the rice just to keep it on the spoon.  I've also eaten gumbo so thick that a spoon literally stood up in it.

Besides the thickness, you have your choice of thickeners (roux, okra for file').  And even with each of these you have a choice of combinations.

The one thing that I feel kept traditional gumbo similar was the use of simple (ie cheap!) ingrediants and the ability to stretch a meal further than it was meant to be.

cy

Gumbo is unique.   
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/20 23:05:41 (permalink)
    bdtn

the french will use a native word if ther is no french word as choufleur  means cauliflower or the word for frying pan is griswould whitch refers to   an old us co that made cast iron  frying pans .creole is cadian french [from novia scotia canada, spanish,and african blend] it is said the first seeds for okra came to us on the slave ships in the hair of slaves along with watermelon,blackeye peas, and sweet potatoes so ther is more to the story what you can google if you study food in many worlds ther is a lot more thats  meets the eye like cilantro and chilis in mexico and thiland how is it they are using same seasonings for thousands of years could it be that world food and trade has been around much longer than relized[roadfood]just trying to be positive not not a expert on one little thing after 40 years as a pro eater and food service pro i still dont know it all but am still a \work in progess and every day  i learn some thing new if its from the chinese doc who is a dish man because he cant get a job in the us with his degree or the mayan indian or the pakisani master ice carver or the japanese knife master[hocho] just keep a open mind and learn with out being
    a expert on any one thing try to be positive it goes a lot to a happy life and a longrer one than one to attack any litte thing that you think is wrong
    or the mayan indian

BLAH< BLAH< BLAH---Not an attack by any means. Just a statement of fact.
    Don't need counseling on how to live a happy life. Have one thank you.
    Don't care about Mayan Indians or Thailand or a Chinese Doctor who washes dishes or any other off the topic stuff.
    The Fact is Gumbo is not a French word even if they don't have a word for it and try to plagerize it from its origin.
    Suggest you learn how to use the Spell Check feature on here after you sober up.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/21 07:20:20 (permalink)
    cy_dugas

Boy it's been a while ...

Being from Acadiana (St. Martinville, to be exact) I have had my share of gumbo.  Every few miles you move north, south, east or west you get a different version.

I grew up on gumbo that had a soup consistency (My grandmothers' and my mom's).  My wife, from Mamou, grew up on gumbo that was almost stew-like.  I've eaten gumbo so thin (especially the seafood kind) that you needed the rice just to keep it on the spoon.  I've also eaten gumbo so thick that a spoon literally stood up in it.

Besides the thickness, you have your choice of thickeners (roux, okra for file').  And even with each of these you have a choice of combinations.

The one thing that I feel kept traditional gumbo similar was the use of simple (ie cheap!) ingrediants and the ability to stretch a meal further than it was meant to be.

cy

Gumbo is unique.   
    Indeed it is!  I like it whether it is soupy or stewy.

A friend of mine like my paella with some pepper soup added to make it more soupy than dry, as it should be.   He is the only person I ever met that likes it that way.

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/21 07:26:28 (permalink)
    Foodbme

BelleReve

www.gumbopages.com
    www.nomenu.com

Very Good Post but Potato Salad in Gumbo??????? THAT's Disgusting!

It is no worse than pineapple on pizza! lol

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/21 08:14:51 (permalink)
    bdtn

or the mayan indian

One word: PUNCTUATION.   Become its friend, or people here won't read what you have to say.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Gumbo.......I Assume Gumbo Is A Soup............... 2010/06/21 09:06:59 (permalink)
    also use lots and lots of periods in your title, because, well.......err......uhm.........ok no one knows why, you just use them dot dot dot dot dot dot
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1