Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/16 16:27:55 (permalink)
chewingthefat

I like the man, I like his show, I wish he would come to my place. Since his show started, many folks have asked me if has been here, maybe someday, I hope!

CTF:  I totally agree.  I probably will never get to his restaurants but I would like to.  I am sure that the menu is more roadfood than NY.  I read the review and it is incredulous to me that the reviewer did not find one thing that he did not severely criticize.  That is almost impossible and my personal take on that is the reviewer regardless of how many awards he has won had a hidden agendae.  The times need ratings.  I form my own opinions.

Here in Knoxville which is very small has its own reviewers and their reviews do not depend on ratings and I tend to agree with them  but even then, some times they get it wrong.  NYC is all about ratings and sales of the paper.  I personally never really enjoyed the Times anyway.

Somehow I sorta wish Guy was a part of Roadfood.  Maybe he is????

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville TN

Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/16 18:32:21 (permalink)
I find it interesting that the NYT's had a party at Guy's Time's Square place a few days after the review, according to the news. Guess it can't be too bad, if they ignore their reviewers advice and book over 100 people in there.
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1384
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/16 18:50:38 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man

I find it interesting that the NYT's had a party at Guy's Time's Square place a few days after the review, according to the news. Guess it can't be too bad, if they ignore their reviewers advice and book over 100 people in there.

This is not completely accurate.  The event was held the very same day that the review ran, and was booked months in advance.  It was a party for the ad sales department, which has absolutely nothing to do with the content of the paper.  It was just a coincidence.  
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 576
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/16 18:57:11 (permalink)
Pigiron

Root-Beer Man

This is not completely accurate.  The event was held the very same day that the review ran, and was booked months in advance.  It was a party for the ad sales department, which has absolutely nothing to do with the content of the paper.  It was just a coincidence.  

It would be interesting to hear the opinions of the 100+ people who went to that event, as opposed to the opinion of 1 food critic.    The bigger sampling number of the group would provide quite a bit more accurcy, and it would eliminate the agenda of a single individual (if that agenda did exist). 

Glenn

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/16 19:09:01 (permalink)
Who the heck ever heard of Pete Wells before he attacked(not critiqued)the 10th highest paid chef in the Country?

He got his 15 minutes, let's move on......
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/16 22:52:26 (permalink)
I think the people who awarded five James Beard Foundation Awards to Pete Wells for his food writing heard of him.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/16 23:31:41 (permalink)
saps

What's pathetic is that the review was as much an attack to belittle Fieri as it was to review his restaurant.  It wasn't just about his experience in the restaurant, as the review was used to make Fieri look as stupid as possible. 

I agree.  It was a Fieri hit piece.  I can almost guarantee that if it was "John Doe" who owned the restaurant, and not Guy Fieri, the review would have not been nearly as rabidly venomous.   It might have still been a negative review, but not a venomous hit piece.   Very unprofessional. 

Note how Pete Wells referred to Roadfood type places condescendingly as, "unfancy".   I can only imagine some of the reviews that elitist would do to some of our favorite roadfood joints.   .... Probably mostly negative reviews, though without the personal venom like he directed toward Fieri. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2012/11/16 23:34:33
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2716
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/16 23:41:26 (permalink)
I am not familiar with Mr. Wells or his restaurant reviews.  How often does he review Applebee's, Chili's, Olive Garden, or Hooter's?  I would put Fieri's place in the same category as those places, chain (or soon to be chain) restaurants appealing to the American masses.  I suspect The New York Times and its star reviewer do not typically lower themselves to even acknowledge that these restaurants exist. 

The story here is that Wells spent his time reviewing Fieri's place and the Times wasted column inches on the review.  Why this place?
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/16 23:44:14 (permalink)

I think the people who awarded five James Beard Foundation Awards to Pete Wells for his food writing heard of him.

I wonder how many roadfood joints have received a James Beard Award?  Probably no more than a handful out of thousands.  ... And that begs the question: ... Do roadfooders care at all, or should we care at all, if our favorite roadfood joints have received a James Beard Award?    I know I don't give a hoot about it, and I'll continue to enjoy the many many roadfood joints that have never received a James Beard Award.  
Does that award even mean much in the Roadfood world?  

Glenn

CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/16 23:58:44 (permalink)
Jane & MIchael Stern....James Beard award winners.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 00:43:25 (permalink)
CCinNJ

Jane & MIchael Stern....James Beard award winners.

Cool.  Have many roadfood restaurants/restauranteurs received the award?   I think I heard that Pete Jones did (Skylight Inn).  Probably a handful out there. 

Glenn

Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 00:44:42 (permalink)
Dozens of Roadfood restaurants have received James Beard awards. Just this year, St. Elmo Steak House, The Fry Bread House, and Shady Glen were winners. As to whether or not the award has any meaning to you, only you can decide.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 00:55:00 (permalink)

Dozens of Roadfood restaurants have received James Beard awards. Just this year, St. Elmo Steak House, The Fry Bread House, and Shady Glen were winners. As to whether or not the award has any meaning to you, only you can decide.

Thanks Bruce and Susan. 

Glenn

CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 01:03:46 (permalink)
Second Avenue Deli
Doe's Eat Place
Primanti's
Barney Greengrass
Frank Pepe's
Stroud's
Sonny Bryan's
Durgin-Park
Peter Luger
The Original Pancake House
Ben's Chili Bowl
Camp Washington Chili
John's Roast Pork
Willie Mae's Scotch House
Polly's Pancake Parlor
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 01:14:48 (permalink)
CCinNJ

Second Avenue Deli
Doe's Eat Place
Primanti's
Barney Greengrass
Frank Pepe's
Stroud's
Sonny Bryan's
Durgin-Park
Peter Luger
The Original Pancake House
Ben's Chili Bowl
Camp Washington Chili
John's Roast Pork
Willie Mae's Scotch House
Polly's Pancake Parlor

From that list, I really like:   Frank Pepe, Durgin-Park, Camp Washington Chili, John's Roast Pork, and Polly's Pancake Parlor.

Not a fan of:   Primanti's, Sonny Bryan's, or Ben's Chili Bowl.  

What Bruce and Susan said seems pretty true:    "As to whether or not the award has any meaning to you, only you can decide." 

It seems hit or miss as to whether the Beard Award will indicate whether I'll like it. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2012/11/17 01:19:49
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3548
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 01:22:36 (permalink)
JRPfeff

I am not familiar with Mr. Wells or his restaurant reviews.  How often does he review Applebee's, Chili's, Olive Garden, or Hooter's?  I would put Fieri's place in the same category as those places, chain (or soon to be chain) restaurants appealing to the American masses.  I suspect The New York Times and its star reviewer do not typically lower themselves to even acknowledge that these restaurants exist. 

The story here is that Wells spent his time reviewing Fieri's place and the Times wasted column inches on the review.  Why this place?

Because it's owned by Guy Fieri, and is in Times Square.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8494
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 06:43:19 (permalink)
I do watch DDD alot, because Guy goes to Roadfood type places( he has been to a couple restaurants in Milwaukee) I guess my disappointment with him is the fact that he is putting his name to a place that has "chain"written all over it.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2436
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 07:33:28 (permalink)
joerogo

Only one thing to do at this point.  Let's get BillyBoy to do a professional RF Type review.

Thanks Joe!  I don't think I'll be heading over there anytime soon to do a review though.  
I'm re-posting most of what I said on my FB page when my cousin asked if I'd be going to review Guy's place:

"Nope. Not on exactly on my short list. There are some good places in Times Square but I don't set the bar very high for food in that area as I really do believe it's more about quantity over quality and to feed the masses. I may get there one day. I think Triple D has done a good thing in putting a spotlight on unheralded places (though for my money, the folks at Roadfood.com have been doing it far longer, much better and with a deeper understanding of how it's all connected to who we are as a country). No one should go there expecting low prices or an exact replica of the food he showcases on TV. They should, however, expect that whatever version he puts out there is well executed. I have to say though that I thought Pete Wells' review was over the top and excessive. There are other, less nasty ways to drive home the point that you REALLY didn't like the place without descending into snarkiness."

I would have thought it funny if I had read this piece in The Onion or had seen it on the The Daily Show or SNL.  Just seemed out of step for the New York Times.
post edited by billyboy - 2012/11/17 10:46:10
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4205
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 08:57:33 (permalink)
buffetbuster

That was a fun read!

Even though we Pittsburghers generally recognize ourselves as truly being the nicest folk on the planet, we do appreciate a good rant every now and then (cf. our native son Dennis Miller).  In that vein, nothing tops Tom Shales' annual "reviews" of Kathie Lee Gifford's "Christmas Specials": enjoy a small sample - http://jimromenesko.com/2011/12/05/decades-of-tom-shales-bashing-kathie-lee-gifford/  .

I, too, found the review to be hilarious and was a little surprised at Guy Fieri's overly defensive response on the Today Show.  As Mr. Fieri has some Pittsburgh connections I would have thought that he would have responded to the critic with a little comedic rant of his own.  Of course that's easy for me to say as I have invested no money, time, or reputation in that particular Times Square enterprise.

Of the reviewer's "hidden agenda" I would guess that he, like me, is more than a little nostalgic for the grit, crime, and grime of lower Times Square in the '70's:  nothing like the smell of pi$$, puke, and beer in the morning!  A stroll through there on a 1970's morning was like touring a fresh battlefield and vicariously absorbing some of the horrid "action" that you had thankfully missed. 

And what a sight it was the evening before to see 100 mounted poiice assemble at midnight to begin their patrol, a sure signal that it was time to retire to the safety of Fifth and C.P.S.  Thanks largely to Disney, Marriott, and Giuliali that's gone now, but never to be forgotten ...
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/11/17 09:03:01
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 10:37:27 (permalink)
I can't wait.  S.M.C., Donkey Sauce & a Pig Patty for me.

post edited by JRPfeff - 2012/11/17 10:41:38
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10416
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 10:41:25 (permalink)
billyboy 
I think Triple D has done a good thing it putting a spotlight on unheralded places (though for my money, the folks at Roadfood.com have been doing it far longer, much better and with a deeper understanding of how it's all connected to who we are as a country).

Well said and I agree 100%!
pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2455
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 11:31:44 (permalink)
The bigger you are, the bigger the target. If you open up a 500 seat restaurant in Time Square, you will be a target. This is a restaurant in New York, not really a New Yorker kind a restaurant. When a restaurant chain or any Chef open a new restaurant, they should make sure they have all training in place. Most restaurants have trail runs with employee family being the guests. Every Chef should know to keep key personnel in important areas. Every meal s/b be checked during preparation and check on the front line before it gets out of the kitchen. The dining wait staff should have small stations to insure quality service. The dining room should also have key personnel walking the floor to insure customer service and talk with each customer to get feedback. The moral of the story is, you do whatever it takes to make it right, if you open a 500 seat restaurant in the most populated area on the planet, expect to spend months training and retraining the staff. This isn't the kind of menu to train and walk away, its a work in progress. This restaurant must employ 100's of people, you loose a lot of them during and after the opening weeks. This isn't an easy endeavor but, if you open the doors, its your fault if your not ready.
  I like the show Diners, driveins and dives.....I always thought it should have been "Michael Sterns Roadfood adventures", A review of the best food food America has to offer. .............I like driving by the places in Times Square, the lights are flashy, the crowds are large. I love when the cab drives over the bridge and pulls up to Peter Lugers, I love how the Manager say's hello and asked how our flight was. I love how the waiter talked to us and explained the menu and gave us great service. I love how the name Peter Luger  is on the steak sauce gravy boat. Doing it right since 1887 can't be easy, I guess Peter Luger though, If he puts his name on the restaurant, he would make sure it was the best. I went to Peter Lugers for the first time last June, I will be going again next June, it's only a short 3000 mile trip.................pnwc
post edited by pnwchef - 2012/11/17 16:56:15
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/17 15:14:17 (permalink)
Poor little Guido, being offended all the way to the bank. 

Despite the crummy review and online ratings, he's not having any problems filling his Times Square restaurant.  Oh, I know its just rubes from the Midwest.  Discerning New Yorkers have much higher dining standards than to eat at a crummy wannabee chain restaurant ("the NYT's had a party at Guy's Time's Square place a few days after the review"). 
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2436
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/21 09:01:34 (permalink)
I was just on the Gothamist website and they had a link to this unaired SNL sketch featuring Bobby Moynihan as Guy Fieri showing up during the Weekend Update segment to respond to the New York Times' review.  Love it!
Here's the link:  http://gothamist.com/2012...d_guy_fieri_restau.php

Enjoy!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/21 09:48:25 (permalink)
SNL guys were spot on. My favorite line was "It's not in New York. It's in TIMES SQUARE!"
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2012/11/21 11:03:55 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

SNL guys were spot on. My favorite line was "It's not in New York. It's in TIMES SQUARE!"

Agreed. Too bad they didn't air it. Perhaps it's too NY-centric. The review was entertaining, I'll admit, but it said nothing that most readers wouldn't have assumed anyway. Sucker punch.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2013/01/02 11:54:17 (permalink)
That Doctor Fieri if you please" />
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2013/02/20 11:12:26 (permalink)
If you are going to open a 500 seat restaurant and bar in Times Square, you might want to reserve the URL before a hoaxer get to it:
http://GuysAmericanKitchenAndBar.com/
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5148
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2013/02/20 11:44:15 (permalink)
Can people drink directly from the ranch hose?
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
Re:Guy's American Kitchen - NY Times 2013/02/20 12:28:42 (permalink)
The Panamania sounds AWESOME.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1