Gwaltney's sausage and bacon Yuk!

Author
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
2011/07/23 18:55:02 (permalink)

Gwaltney's sausage and bacon Yuk!

I used to think this company put out pretty high quality products back in the 70's but now they are the cheapest thing in Walmart and does it ever show!. The bacon is like scraps with a tremendous of fat vs meat and the sausage is so overwhelmingly fat it looks like a pork rind when it's cooked and entirely lacks any spices or flavor. What has happened to this brand and was it actually good years ago or was it my imagination?

5 Replies Related Threads

David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Gwaltney's sausage and bacon Yuk! 2011/07/23 22:16:41 (permalink)
    Gwaltney was bought by Smithfield Packing, now Smithfield Foods. Smithfield also bought a lot of other packers, such as Esskay, Mash's, Valleydale, Lundy's, Lykes, Patrick Cudahy, etc. Some of the old packing plants, such as the hot dog plant in Portsmouth, VA turn out products under the Gwaltney, Esskay, and numerous supermarket brands.

I have not been able to figure which of their brands are the good stuff and which are commodity grade.
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:Gwaltney's sausage and bacon Yuk! 2011/07/23 22:16:45 (permalink)
    I havent had them much in the past few years, I used to buy their sausage in preference to others, but lately it seems bob evans or even jimmy dean are more flavorful.

I do like their sausage for mixing in with butcher breakfast sausage I get sometimes that is very flavorful but deadly dry/low fat.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6171
    Re:Gwaltney's sausage and bacon Yuk! 2011/07/24 11:33:27 (permalink)
    Worst bacon on the market!
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Gwaltney's sausage and bacon Yuk! 2011/07/24 17:50:08 (permalink)
    Well, the Gwaltney bacon sold right now is coming out of the original Lundy packing plant in Clinton, NC. I dare you to follow the convoluted history of how this transpired, but start with these:
    http://wikimapia.org/668150/Lundy-s-Packing-Company

http://www.clintonnc.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Friends-+Fetterman%E2%80%99s+legacy+will+carry+on%20&id=9528325&instance=secondary_news_left_column

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premium_Standard_Farms

The sausage I saw with Gwaltney's name on it is coming out of the old Gwaltney plant in Smithfield, VA. How did Smithfield Packing get Gwaltney? By buying it in 1981 from ITT Corp (read: International Telephone and Telegraph Corporation. Would you buy your sausage from a maker that manufactured multiplexing equipment in Belgium on the side?)

I was in an independent supermarket today and all of the fresh sausage was made by a company headquartered at 501 North Church Street in Smithfield, Virginia. You couldn't tell this from looking at the labels, however. People think they have a choice. They do. Take it or leave it.
    I really don't buy many Smithfield Foods products anymore. ces1948 is right; many formerly highly regarded brands now supply inferior quality meat products. Their brand names are bull%$@& today. But, they do know how to sell cheap food at a low price. I usually buy products from smaller, independent firms.
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Gwaltney's sausage and bacon Yuk! 2011/07/24 20:03:06 (permalink)
    The Gwaltney sausage sold in Walmart is $1.98 for 12 0z. The Jimmy Dean sausage sitting right next it is $2.98 for the same size. There is a tremendous difference in the taste and the quality.  Don't ever bother with the Gwaltney crap
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1