Gyro

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
BillyCheesesteak
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
2004/02/25 22:35:18 (permalink)

Gyro

I have had great Gyro's in Chicago and believe it or not in Columbus, Ohio. Where can I find one in the Philadelphia area?

62 Replies Related Threads

arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Gyro 2004/02/28 00:08:42 (permalink)
    Can't help you with Philadelphia, but I'd be interested to hear where you had good gyros in Columbus. :)

Best I've had to date were in Bloomington, IN, at King Gyros on Walnut. The place sure doesn't look impressive, but the gyros were far better (and cheaper) than what you could get downtown at the Trojan Horse.

Ariane
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Gyro 2004/02/29 10:26:57 (permalink)
    This doesn't answer your question about Philadelphia, but Greektown in Detroit is a great place to go for Greek food and it's fun!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Gyro 2004/02/29 10:36:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by arianej

Can't help you with Philadelphia, but I'd be interested to hear where you had good gyros in Columbus. :)

Best I've had to date were in Bloomington, IN, at King Gyros on Walnut. The place sure doesn't look impressive, but the gyros were far better (and cheaper) than what you could get downtown at the Trojan Horse.

Ariane

King Gyros on Hamilton Road, just north of Broad. Another gyro place on Hamilton Road in Gahanna. There are a couple more around the area, too.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Gyro 2004/03/01 15:23:12 (permalink)
    In my research (and I've done lots, becuase gryos are just the most addicting sandwich on the face of the planet!) the best gyros (and soulvaki) to be had are at Greek Orthodox Church/Food festivals. I am sure there have to be some in the Philly area--always good to check the weekend papers that list when church services are. They usually list when the churches are having fundraisers and festivals, too. You won't be disappointed!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Gyro 2004/03/01 15:41:17 (permalink)
    I second that. We have one at the Greek Orthodox church here in Columbia SC each year and the food is almost the best I have ever tasted !! (I lived in greece for 3 months !!)

howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Gyro 2004/03/02 08:43:52 (permalink)
    I love Gyros. I've wondered. What is the correct pronunciation for this tasty concoction. Is it Giro, Gee-ro, Hee- ro or what?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Gyro 2004/03/02 09:24:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by howard8

I love Gyros. I've wondered. What is the correct pronunciation for this tasty concoction. Is it Giro, Gee-ro, Hee- ro or what?

YEER-oh
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Gyro 2004/03/02 09:35:19 (permalink)
    There is a good roadfood place in south Manatee county, FL. The Crazy Greek's. Corner of Whifield and 15 Street East aka old 301. I can't comment on how good their Gyros are as it is the only place I have had them. Taste good to me.

Good Greek salad. Good burgers and great fries. The fries are cut fairly small and cooked in peanut oil.

Cakes
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Gyro 2004/03/02 14:13:47 (permalink)
    Technically, the proper pronunciation is "YEE-rozh." That last sound sounds kinda like the first syllable of "ocean."
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Gyro 2004/03/02 14:20:59 (permalink)
    Best Gyros (pronounced any way you like) in Cincinnati are also to be had at the big Greek Orthdox church festival, called Panegyri. There is a good greek presence in the restaurant busness here in Cincinnati - most of the ownership of the famous Cincinnati chili chains is greek. On the other hand, there is no 'upscale' greek dining I am aware of.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Gyro 2004/03/02 15:06:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Technically, the proper pronunciation is "YEE-rozh." That last sound sounds kinda like the first syllable of "ocean."

You're right.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Gyro 2004/03/02 15:13:04 (permalink)
    Best place to get Gyros here in Louisville at the the Big greek Fest held now at the waterfront looking over the Ohio River.. everything is awesome there
    buggsy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Gyro 2004/03/03 01:35:57 (permalink)
    Gyros are not difficult to find in the Philadelphia area. "Kronos" is a company that supplies the gyro meat and associated ingredients for gyros to wholesalers. They are excellent at marketing and have suceeded in introducing gyros to the menus of many diners, pizza joints, and sandwich shops throughout the Delaware valley.
    Personally, I prefer the gyro meat carved from the spinning "cone" that you will find at Greek restaurants in the area. The places that use the Kronos marketing posters typically use a frozen, sliced product that they reheat on the grill. Understand that although the person who sells you a gyro will swear up and down that the meat is lamb that there is NO WAY that one of those cones ever resembled a sheep, much less a small, tender one. Anyway, I'm sorry. If you want a gyro right away go to any mall food court in the counties, down to South Street or over to the Reading terminal market. Gyros rule!
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Gyro 2004/04/16 12:33:37 (permalink)
    There is a place right in the middle of the action ( Pavilion Area) at Myrtle Beach called Abrahams right on the ocean front. It is run by a man from Greece. He serves some of the best Gyros (he pronounces them YEE-rohs) that I have ever eaten with the best cucumber sauce. He also has potatoes that his sister makes that are like fried potatoes with some wonderful seasonings. Also, for a change, if you want a good foot long hot dog, his are the best.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Gyro 2004/04/16 13:21:16 (permalink)
    In Columbus, OH the best gyros used to be available on campus at the Souvlaki Palace II on Hight St. But since the idiot organization known as Campus Partners tore it down in the name of %&*#!#* progress and put up a Steak and Shake, the guy who ran the place moved down the street to be part of Buckeye Donuts. I have not tried them in this location but I assume they are still very good. There were many nights that I stumbled up there after spending a few hours at Street Scene (which is now a Chipotle's - thanks again Campus Partners) and had a jumbo gyro, great crinkle cut fries and a coke. Ahh the days of grad school.

I also recently discovered a great place for them up on the Northeast side at Cleveland Ave and 270 called Yanni's. Great little hole in the wall the serves many greek specialties along with other subs and burgers. Some of the best Saganaki I've had in a long time even though they don't flame it at your table like most places do.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Gyro 2004/04/16 15:15:19 (permalink)
    Of course, you could always get your gyros from the cart in front of University Hospitals during the lunch hour.

Now, the original Souvlaki Palace on East Broad, right near High Street downtown, was really terific. Ah, but that's been gone a long time.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Gyro 2004/04/16 15:42:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Of course, you could always get your gyros from the cart in front of University Hospitals during the lunch hour.

Now, the original Souvlaki Palace on East Broad, right near High Street downtown, was really terific. Ah, but that's been gone a long time.

Oh and I have. That's where I work. I thought about going today but with the nice weather the line was insanely long.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Gyro 2004/04/16 15:55:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Oh and I have. That's where I work. I thought about going today but with the nice weather the line was insanely long.

My wife worked in the OR there for years. I've had many a gyro fromn that cart.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Gyro 2004/10/14 19:56:51 (permalink)
    IMO best in Knoxville is on Kingston Pike, the Time Out Deli. Owner is from Jordan or Lebanon I don't remember which but they are really good.

Miami Subs, fast food chain, sells them. Anyone have opinions about them?

carl reitz
    cwills
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Gyro 2004/11/12 13:36:44 (permalink)
    I live in NYC and my favorite gyro place is Gyro II (which, this being multitasking NYC, also has pizza, chicken, burgers, chinese food, etc., but I've never tried their non-gyro offerings). The difference is the sauce. Instead of the standard tart and tangy white sauce, Gyro II's sauce is slightly sweet. It tastes like it's made with Miracle Whip; maybe it is. Purists may shudder but it works for me. The standard gyro is fine but I prefer the platter, which comes with chunks of feta and olives and a couple of pitas. That way you can make your own mini-gyros with feta, dunk them in the drizzle of sauce, and cleanse your palate with the olives before making the next one.
    cwills
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Gyro 2004/11/12 13:39:20 (permalink)
    I forgot to mention Gyro II's location. It's on Seventh Avenue right next to Penn Station/MSG--forget the actual street but it's like 35th, 36th. You can't miss it.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Gyro 2004/11/12 19:07:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buggsy

Gyros are not difficult to find in the Philadelphia area. "Kronos" is a company that supplies the gyro meat and associated ingredients for gyros to wholesalers. They are excellent at marketing and have suceeded in introducing gyros to the menus of many diners, pizza joints, and sandwich shops throughout the Delaware valley.
    Personally, I prefer the gyro meat carved from the spinning "cone" that you will find at Greek restaurants in the area. The places that use the Kronos marketing posters typically use a frozen, sliced product that they reheat on the grill. Understand that although the person who sells you a gyro will swear up and down that the meat is lamb that there is NO WAY that one of those cones ever resembled a sheep, much less a small, tender one. Anyway, I'm sorry. If you want a gyro right away go to any mall food court in the counties, down to South Street or over to the Reading terminal market. Gyros rule!

Actually Gyros is a highly seasoned combination of ground Beef and Lamb that is formed into a cone and frozen
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Gyro 2004/12/06 16:38:57 (permalink)
    Here in Chicago, we've always pronounced it "Gyros - with a hard "g" as in Google. Maybe we're wrong, though.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Gyro 2004/12/06 20:08:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

Here in Chicago, we've always pronounced it "Gyros - with a hard "g" as in Google. Maybe we're wrong, though.

What part of Chicago is that?
    danimal15
    RE: Gyro 2004/12/07 15:11:39 (permalink)
    I'm from the North Side, near Wrigley Field. There used to be about five storefront gyros restaurants on Broadway Ave. over there, but most are gone now.

It's possible I've been pronouncing it wrong all these years, of course.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Gyro 2004/12/07 15:40:12 (permalink)
    Gyros II next to Penn Station has been there forever as well. I used to stop by in the early/mid '70s. Also my gyros benchmark.
    danimal15
    RE: Gyro 2004/12/08 11:24:32 (permalink)
    The best gyros in Chicago used to be served at a tiny storefront restaurant on the west side of North Broadway Ave. between Briar and Barry called simply "Gyros on a Spit." The owner was from Greece and spoke very little English, but was a jolly fellow, and he worked behind the counter with his wife and two teen-age kids. The gyros they served was unlike any I've had before or since - it had a wonderful crunchiness on the outside, and was moist, tender and flavorful inside. And the pita bread also was a notch above the rest. The counter-person would dip it in egg and then fry it in a little pan. It came out very flavorful and had a melt-in-your mouth texture -much better than just a piece of bread out of a plastic bag. I used to eat the gyros first with a fork, and save the pita for dessert, it was so good by itself. Also, the place had a wonderful Greek chicken dish - there were always whole roasted chickens on display. Unfortunately, with no warning, the restaurant just closed for good one day in the mid- to late-1990's. I never understood why. Maybe the rent got too high, or maybe the owner wanted to retire and his kids didn't want to take over. The space is now a flower shop, which the neighborhood certainly has enough of already.

Does anyone else remember this place? It had a blue sign outside.
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Gyro 2004/12/08 12:24:31 (permalink)
    If anyone ever makes it here to Traverse City, MI, there is a place here called Folgarelli's that sells gyro meat. I love that store, they always have something new and unusual.
    But I second the mention of Greektown, and I also like Olga's Kitchen which is a Detroit based chain.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Gyro 2004/12/17 14:28:51 (permalink)
    Are gyros an American invention? Or do they really eat gyros back in the homeland?

-Yumbo
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1