HELP ! !

Author
motorcycledame
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/02/04 15:58:12 (permalink)

HELP ! !

I am new to the Phoenix  AZ area. Originally from Milwaukee WI home of brats, beer, and Harley Davidson.  My Father worked for Usingers Sausage Co. for 45 years and I was raised on summer sausage, liver sausage and hot dogs.  I MUST find a place in Phoenix that sells Usingers Sausage.  Sprouts sells small summer and liver sausage at a very high price.  Does anyone out there know other options?????
post edited by motorcycledame - 2011/02/04 16:01:59

9 Replies Related Threads

Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:HELP ! ! 2011/02/04 18:52:31 (permalink)
    Way back when I used to run the delis for Copp's Corporation in Wisconsin and have been hooked on Usinger's sausages ever since. Can only recommend that you order them from the web site.  Tain't cheap, but if you buy a bunch of stuff at once, the FedX charges are tolerable.   http://www.usinger.com/

Other than that, I've seen Usinger cooked brats at Trader Joe's, but I'd much prefer to buy the fresh and do the cooking myself.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    Re:HELP ! ! 2011/02/04 20:18:35 (permalink)
    Holly Moore

Way back when I used to run the delis for Copp's Corporation in Wisconsin and have been hooked on Usinger's sausages ever since. Can only recommend that you order them from the web site.  Tain't cheap, but if you buy a bunch of stuff at once, the FedX charges are tolerable.   http://www.usinger.com/

Other than that, I've seen Usinger cooked brats at Trader Joe's, but I'd much prefer to buy the fresh and do the cooking myself.

So?  Holly, how do you cook your brats?  I sorta like them myself and I have tried others but never Usinger's.  I can't wait for your preferred method.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN  

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8336
    Re:HELP ! ! 2011/02/04 22:17:17 (permalink)
    Holly and I were co-deli managers back in the day. I ran the Pick and Save delis, sister to Copps. My prefered method of cooking brats was on the grill we had, then holding them in beer, water and onions.Actually, served them last night at the Quad Graphics cafe.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    Re:HELP ! ! 2011/02/05 00:26:24 (permalink)
    Motorcycle Dame,
    Welcome to Roadfood AND the Valley of the Sun. Most of the Supermarkets carry Usingers Products. Try Fry's first. They're usually in those speciality Cheese Cases near the Deli counters. There are several meat markets that make decent Brats.
    http://www.schreinerssausage.com/
    http://www.stanleys-sausage.com/

There is a fellow Cheesehead on here with the Handle of JRPfeff who recently moved here from Pawaukee and he lives in Buckeye. You could send him a Private Message (PM) by doing a search of his handle.
    To search:
    1. Click on Forums on the top toolbar
    2. Scroll down to the Hot Dogs, Sausages & Bratwursts  Forum
    3. In the upper right corner click on Search phrase and that eill give you a drop down, "search this forum" click.
    4. You'll see a field titled "By Author'. Enter JRPfeff
    5. It will pop up many of his posts.
    6. Click on his hadle and it will take you to his personal profile.
    7. Click on Private message feature and send him a shout
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:HELP ! ! 2011/02/05 00:35:03 (permalink)
    Your post is in the wrong Forum. You should post it in the "Hot Dogs, Sausages and Brats" Forum and expand the heading to attract more viewers. Something like "Looking for Usingers Products in Phoenix". You'll get a bigger response.
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:HELP ! ! 2011/02/05 11:28:39 (permalink)
    Paul, I tend to par boil fresh brats and finish them off on the grill or under a salamander - but I remember and savor Annpeeple's approach from cookout and fairs/festivals eaten during my time in Wisconsin. 

Ann, what's your favorite brat? It was great having both Usinger's and Klement's as sausage suppliers. A wealth of German sausage making. Craving a ring bologna and some warm German potato sausage as I type.

Only thing I don't miss about Wisconsin (Stevens Point) is having to plug my car into an electric socket for a couple of months in the winter to keep the oil warm enough to start, and having AAA on speed dial for those sub zero mornings when there was no way it would start without a boost.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:HELP ! ! 2011/02/05 13:25:58 (permalink)
    Holly,
    Lancaster County is loaded with good places to get good ring bolongna. Here's one:
    http://www.kunzler.com/

Google Ring Bologna PA for more
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/02/05 17:19:21
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:HELP ! ! 2011/02/05 14:44:38 (permalink)
    During the 6 months of the year I'm doing my snowbird thing in southern Arizona (Tucson which is worse than Phoenix when it comes to shopping options), I miss all sorts of products (mostly ethnic foods) I can easily get in San Francisco.  But I've discovered almost anything is available online and that's where I now do an increasing part of my grocery shopping.  Am eagerly awaiting arrival of a case of San Marzano tomatoes (in 14 oz cans--especially hard to get) because my stock is running low.

Rather than running all over Phoenix, save the gas and order from the web site suggested by someone above  (or Google the product and find other places selling it--but first try Amazon.com which sells almost everything, doesn't collect sales tax in AZ, and offers free shipping.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8336
    Re:HELP ! ! 2011/02/05 14:55:33 (permalink)
    HOLLY-I prefer Usingers over Klements.But I am lucky enough to have a German wurstmacher right up the road, and his home made stuff is the best!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1