HOMEGROWN

Author
Iconic
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
2004/07/31 00:25:19 (permalink)

HOMEGROWN

Alright alright, no one laugh....

I've built my own smoker (although I'm designing another one), I've got a few of my own rubs and a couple of my own sauces... I haven't mastered the craft by any means..but I'm getting pretty comfortable. I wanna take my Q to another level. Now don't get me wrong...it may not make much of a difference in the final outcome...but it might. I wanna do this more for myself and for the challenge and satisfaction.

I want to grow my own vegetables, herbs, and spices for use in making my rubs and sauces.....but I've got questions on how to prep them for such use. Where can I go to learn more about doing this or can anyone here help...

For instance...in making a sauce (tomato based) alot of recipes call for Tomato sauce and Paste... is it necessary to prepare both or one or the other and if so how do you make paste and/or sauce.

Also, for the herbs and spices I'm assuming it would be best to dry them and crush or powder them for use in rubs and sauces...So what are the steps for doing this?

Anyway if anyone can help...I would sure appreciate it....

Gonna smoke a Butt tomorrow....I can already taste it...

Josh

7 Replies Related Threads

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: HOMEGROWN 2004/07/31 09:20:21 (permalink)
    I will give two excellent sources for que making information. One is the www.virtualweberbullet.com. This site is based all around the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker but there are excellent recipes and prep help on the site.

Another great site is www.bbqforum.com. This is a form for all levels of que'rs where questions can be asked, contest results come in, and basically any question you can think of having to do with que.

BTW, don't worry about what your smoker is like. I have seen people cook 55 gal drums that were converted into smokers and win a contest. Remember, it's not the smoker, it's all about the cook.

Hope this helps.

John
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: HOMEGROWN 2004/07/31 09:21:50 (permalink)
    One other thing, when you go to the BBQ Forum, there is a great new search engine for finding recipes or posts about whatever you want to cook and the archives have a great deal of information also.

John
    Iconic
    Junior Burger
    RE: HOMEGROWN 2004/07/31 22:20:32 (permalink)
    Oh, I'm not embarrassed about my smoker or anything....it didn't quite turn out like I had in mind..but it is functional....My main question was about how to prepare the Vegetables, Herbs, and Spices, that I want to grow myself.....That's what I want to know!

Anyway I will definitely check out the site...so thankyou.

I am however designing a new smoker...it will be on a flatbed trailer...the firebox will be brick!!!!!!!

Thanks again...Josh
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: HOMEGROWN 2004/07/31 22:23:55 (permalink)
    I apologize that you were embarrased with your smoker. That was not my intent.

In the sense of how to cook different veggies, could you be more specific on what veggies you are talking about as there are different methods for different vegtables.

John
    Iconic
    Junior Burger
    RE: HOMEGROWN 2004/08/01 12:28:53 (permalink)
    LOL...Rib Dog...I said I WASN'T embarrassed about my smoker!!!!

It works just fine...it's just not super pretty..

my next one will be though...!!!!!!

Josh.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: HOMEGROWN 2004/08/01 14:04:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Iconic

LOL...Rib Dog...I said I WASN'T embarrassed about my smoker!!!!

It works just fine...it's just not super pretty..

my next one will be though...!!!!!!

Josh.

And I did not mean that either. I meant to say that I was sorry if I had intimated that you were embarrased about your smoker. It is amazing how the meaning of a statement can change so much with the exclusion of a few words.

John
    lyndsay
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: HOMEGROWN 2004/08/01 20:12:39 (permalink)
    Fresh herbs always taste better. Just chop them real fine.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1