The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

HOT DOGS

The Traveling Gator

• Total Posts: 4
HOT DOGS Fri, 04/6/07 12:39 AM (permalink)
I'm new to this forum thing, so I hope I post this right I like the natural casing style only Looking through some postings, it amazes me that NO one from the Northeast seems to have mentioned Stop & Shop Supermarkets own brand of natural casing "DOGS" They have the beef & pork style (my preference) or all beef they are very good and decent size to boot NOT like those skinny Nathens,Deitz& Watson or Sabretts My 1st preference are Muckes,2nd are Stop & Shop and 3rd are Grote & Weigel And yes there are plenty of others out there that are excellent Just stating my list Anyone comments? Drop a line

markolenski

• Total Posts: 307
    RE: HOT DOGS Fri, 04/6/07 1:25 AM (permalink)
    When I worked for Stop and Shop years ago in my previous life Deutschmacher made our private label franks. With all the mergers since I would not be surprised if Grote & Weigel made them now. There were a great quality item for the price. My favorite was Hummels but they have gone down hill the last few years. I just returned from Ct and this is the first time I did not bring any back with me.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
      RE: HOT DOGS Fri, 04/6/07 5:57 PM (permalink)
      Mark:

Back in October, 2005 I tracked Deutschmacher back to being owned by Tyson Foods. The franks were coming out of the old Russer plant in Buffalo, New York.

Gator:

I note that your favorite franks are native to Connecticut and Massachusetts, while the other ones you list are native to New York and Philadelphia. About the Stop & Shop franks, are the ones you refer to sold prepackaged next to the Oscar Meyers, or are they sold loose in the Deli counters at Stop & Shop? Stop and Shop's deli divison claims their frankfurters are very good:
      http://www.stopandshop.com/stores/departments/deli.htm
      I still have not found out who makes their deli dept. franks, but am looking at Pearl Meat Packing Company of Randolph, MA.

Note that since Royal Ahold merged so many operations of Stop & Shop and Giant of Landover, you can find a lot of the same items as far south as Charlottesville, VA.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
        RE: HOT DOGS Fri, 04/6/07 7:01 PM (permalink)
        David NYC,

I'm pretty sure that Pearl Meat Packing Co. does not make the Stop & Shop franks. Pearl only makes all beef franks and knockwursts, while the Stop & Shop brand sold at the deli is beef and pork. The Stop & Shop near me only sold skinless franks that were prepackaged. Hopefully this will change as this store will open next month as a Super Stop & Shop. A few months ago I went to a Super Stop & Shop in another town and they were selling 3 lb boxes of Deutschmacher.

According to an article that I read online dated Nov. 8, 2004, several brands of franks were recalled that were possibly undercooked and at risk for listeria poisoning. The company that made them was called Zemco Industry of Buffalo N.Y. This is possibly the Russer plant that you referred to. Brands recalled were Jordans, Deutschmacher, Essem, Kirschner, Stop & Shop natural casing franks, and Hofmanns. Although Hofmanns is headquartered in Syracuse, I was told by someone last summer that they have a lot of their franks made in Buffalo. All of the brands that were named were produced at this one plant in Nov. of 2004. So it is probably where Deutschmacher and Stop & Shop natural casing franks are made. And they may be from the same or similar recipes. If so, this wouldn't be unusual. There is a Pathmark supermarket in my town that sells 3 different franks under their own label. According to people I've spoken to who are in a position to know, one frank is made by Sabrett and is the exact recipe as their all beef frank. One is made by Dietz and Watson and is the same recipe as their New York style beef dog and the Black Bear beef dog sold at Shop Rite. The other frank is made by Best Provisions and is the same recipe as the franks sold by Best. You can tell which is which by checking the ingredient list and comparing it to the other brands named. I've had 2 of the three Pathmark dogs (one made by Best, one made by Dietz and Watson) and they are the same in regards to taste. Both are bigger than what is sold under the regular brand name (6 to a lb rather than 8). The dog made by Best is skinless while the one made by Dietz and Watson has a casing. The dog made by Sabrett is also skinless and small. I think it is 10 to a lb.

Sundancer7

RE: HOT DOGS Fri, 04/6/07 8:26 PM (permalink)
          It seems to me that ahog dog is a suaage and the more you pay, the more quality you will get it the sausage. I am sure that that is a minimum folks can pay and then it gets down to the bestou can get atthat priec. I am sure that our own hot dog exert can lead us in the right direction.

CSD What is the best hot dog we can get without goinig overboard on expensive sausage.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TJN

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
            RE: HOT DOGS Fri, 04/6/07 9:44 PM (permalink)
            Paul, a Vienna Beef Polish is a larger, spicier hot dog that is usually grilled or deep fried, It's spiced up with a heavier dose of garlic juice and extractives of paprika and costs a few cents more than a hot dog. The Maxwell Street version is a natural cased 12 incher that's cut into 2-6" sausages before grilling or deep frying.

CSD

The Traveling Gator

RE: HOT DOGS Sat, 04/7/07 12:22 AM (permalink)
              Thank GOD for small miricles----Finally a decent Hot Dog has arrived in my area of Florida----We recieved the weekly circular from a place named Sweet Bay this past Tuesday----It used to be Kash & Karry until a few weeks ago----AND,K&K had been bought by Hannafords a short time back----Is Hannafords from the northeast area?----I had seen it mentioned in some forums before----Well, whatever, as I was checking out the specials, I noticed an ad for G & W natural casing hot dogs----G&W?---Naw, it couldn't possibly be "THE G&W" from up there in Bloomfield,CT,could it?----NO WAY JOSE I'm thinking----It DIDN"T SAY Grote & Weigel,just G&W----ZOOM,ZOOM,ZOOM off I go shopping as soon as I could today----Into Sweetbay,hustle to the deli section and lo and behold what is sitting there awaiting for me----Aha,you guessed it----Grote & Weigel natural casing HOT DOGS----HOT DAMM,oops,sorry,HOT DIGGIE DOG----After profusely thanking the store manager and asking her to pass my thanks up the line,I finish my other shopping and hustled home----Anyone out there know what we had for supper tonight?---LOL----The Gator got fed gooooooood----So you other Florida folk,get out there and buy some and show them how thankful we are----HAPPY EASTER to all---PS: we're having Ham

genewj

• Total Posts: 370
                RE: HOT DOGS Sat, 04/7/07 5:18 AM (permalink)
                Gator:
                For months I've been tooting the Horn about Sweet Bay Meat..I bought 25 cases of pork ribs in dec. for .89 cents per #..They will start having Rib Specials as soon as the hogs start being butchered..
                They also carry PRIME BLACK ANGUS BEEF. There DOGS are a little pricy but they have a nice selection..
                I live in Bradenton,Fl.

David_NYC

RE: HOT DOGS Sat, 04/7/07 11:53 AM (permalink)
                  Gator, Hannaford is a supermarket chain in upstate New York and New England. Actually, it is one of the chains owned by Belgian-owned Delhaize America. Besides Sweetbay and Hannaford, Delhaize owns Food Lion, Bloom, Bottom Dollar, Reid's, and Harveys.

If you use the search function of this forum, limit searches to the Hot Dogs, Sausages, and Bratwursts forum, and put Florida in the search box, you will find lots of posts from people who found good brands of franks in Florida.

Buddy Dek

• Total Posts: 133
                    RE: HOT DOGS Sun, 04/15/07 9:24 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by The Traveling Gator

I'm new to this forum thing, so I hope I post this right I like the natural casing style only Looking through some postings, it amazes me that NO one from the Northeast seems to have mentioned Stop & Shop Supermarkets own brand of natural casing "DOGS" They have the beef & pork style (my preference) or all beef they are very good and decent size to boot NOT like those skinny Nathens,Deitz& Watson or Sabretts My 1st preference are Muckes,2nd are Stop & Shop and 3rd are Grote & Weigel And yes there are plenty of others out there that are excellent Just stating my list Anyone comments? Drop a line

Buddy Dek

• Total Posts: 133
                      RE: HOT DOGS Sun, 04/15/07 10:17 AM (permalink)
                      Here on long island its becoming harder to find natural casing dogs retail.Last year BJ's carried sabretts,nathans,hebrew national & best.On a recent visit to cosco only sabretts in natural casings was available. Bj's has only best and sabrett brands. It is apparent most people either don't care or prefer skinless. Boars head and
                      black bear brands are still by far my own favorites.Great to know that stop & shop offers new alternatives that I will soon try as well as sams club and thumans meats all in natural casing of course.

bdespathy

• Total Posts: 5
                        RE: HOT DOGS Thu, 04/19/07 7:42 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by The Traveling Gator

hotdog matty

• Total Posts: 14
                          RE: HOT DOGS Thu, 04/19/07 8:57 PM (permalink)
                          I think that being new to this hotdog vending business it is really hard to try to figure out what is a good or bad hotdog to be sold to the public to me it seems like it depends on which area you are from. I have not had alot of the brands mentioned in this forum but just would be a very good hotdog/sausage to start with. and also would a grill be needed and also a coffee maker . thanks matty

The Traveling Gator

RE: HOT DOGS Tue, 04/24/07 5:10 PM (permalink)
                            Wow Isn't it fun to read all the comments on the poor little old "Hot Dog" As the name applies, The Traveling Gator has been out traveling We went over to Dothan,Alabama for a RV rally and was amazed that anyone even sent me a message Thank you It is quite facinating to read about the wide variety about what we call a "Hot Dog" I do believe some should be called a Salad Bar on a roll LOL Personally,I prefer a good NC type on a top split buttered toasted roll, with just some sweet relish All that other stuff,just takes away the taste of a good "Hot Dog" Sorry folks,that's just me Not meaning to offend anyone,OK? To each his own Having been able to travel throughout this great country of ours,this forum can never do justice to the great "Hot Dogs" of our country So let's all enjoy a good "Dog" whenever and wherever we can Thinking of that,time to make supper Later,from "The Traveling Gator"

Bigsmile

• Total Posts: 1
                              RE: HOT DOGS Tue, 05/1/07 5:20 PM (permalink)
                              Try the Hot Dog from the little collage grille called "YUM-YUM.
                              All they sell there is their Hot Dog and Ice Cream which they make themselves.
                              Great NC Hot Dog source.

John Fox

RE: HOT DOGS Fri, 05/23/08 9:10 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by John Fox

David NYC,

I'm pretty sure that Pearl Meat Packing Co. does not make the Stop & Shop franks. Pearl only makes all beef franks and knockwursts, while the Stop & Shop brand sold at the deli is beef and pork. The Stop & Shop near me only sold skinless franks that were prepackaged. Hopefully this will change as this store will open next month as a Super Stop & Shop. A few months ago I went to a Super Stop & Shop in another town and they were selling 3 lb boxes of Deutschmacher.

According to an article that I read online dated Nov. 8, 2004, several brands of franks were recalled that were possibly undercooked and at risk for listeria poisoning. The company that made them was called Zemco Industry of Buffalo N.Y. This is possibly the Russer plant that you referred to. Brands recalled were Jordans, Deutschmacher, Essem, Kirschner, Stop & Shop natural casing franks, and Hofmanns. Although Hofmanns is headquartered in Syracuse, I was told by someone last summer that they have a lot of their franks made in Buffalo. All of the brands that were named were produced at this one plant in Nov. of 2004. So it is probably where Deutschmacher and Stop & Shop natural casing franks are made. And they may be from the same or similar recipes. If so, this wouldn't be unusual. There is a Pathmark supermarket in my town that sells 3 different franks under their own label. According to people I've spoken to who are in a position to know, one frank is made by Sabrett and is the exact recipe as their all beef frank. One is made by Dietz and Watson and is the same recipe as their New York style beef dog and the Black Bear beef dog sold at Shop Rite. The other frank is made by Best Provisions and is the same recipe as the franks sold by Best. You can tell which is which by checking the ingredient list and comparing it to the other brands named. I've had 2 of the three Pathmark dogs (one made by Best, one made by Dietz and Watson) and they are the same in regards to taste. Both are bigger than what is sold under the regular brand name (6 to a lb rather than 8). The dog made by Best is skinless while the one made by Dietz and Watson has a casing. The dog made by Sabrett is also skinless and small. I think it is 10 to a lb.

David NYC,

Since the last post on this thread the new Super Stop & Shop opened in my town. Just today my wife brought home some dogs that she bought loose from the deli. This is rare here in Jersey. The only other supermarket I know of that sells loose franks from the deli is Wegmans. When this store opened they did not sell the franks behind the deli counter. Apparently this changed. What my wife got me are natural casing beef franks. I believe they may be Pearl's. So I might be wrong about Pearl not making these. At the time, only beef/pork franks were sold at the old Stop & Shop. I'll have a better idea if they are Pearl after I eat one of them this weekend.

David_NYC

RE: HOT DOGS Sat, 05/24/08 2:41 AM (permalink)
                                  John, I never could confirm Pearl made those franks. The next time I went to Connecticut, Stop and Shop no longer had their loose house brand franks in the deli, though they sold Hummel, etc. The reference to the high quality franks made by the OP is also off the Stop and Shop web site. In NYC, Westchester, and Long Island, Stop and Shop does not sell any loose franks in their delis. They are now all Board's Head shops. I await your report. The S&S loose deli franks I bought last year were really good.

John Fox

RE: HOT DOGS Sat, 05/24/08 6:04 AM (permalink)
                                    Earlier in the day I called Consumer Affairs at Stop & Shop and asked where the all beef franks came from. The representative said she would have to research it and get back to me. After posting last night, I decided to have one. I heated it in water and threw it on the backyard grill. This dog is fairly thick and about 5 or 6 to a lb. I've had Pearl franks twice and I would have to say this one is probably a Pearl. I would bet on it. I'll find out for sure.

John Fox

RE: HOT DOGS Sun, 06/1/08 10:08 AM (permalink)
                                      Since my last post I contacted several people in an attempt to find out about the franks at Stop & Shop. Someone from Pearl said that they do send their franks to a warehouse owned by Stop & Shop. It is up to the individual store's deli manager as to whether they want to carry them or not. He said they are most likely not in the Union store. I spoke with the deli manager at my local Stop & Shop who had no idea what the franks were. I asked him to check and he told me that they were made by Stop & Shop, which I know is not true.

I contacted someone else from Stop & Shop who promised to research and find out for me. In the meantime, I was able to get some Pearls from someone I know who orders them from the company. Anyone can do this, but you must order a minimum of 10 pounds and pay shipping. Many hot dog companies will ship you dogs, but at a minimum, and with shipping costs included. I've only done this with Usinger's, who has a 6 pound minimum. I compared the Pearl frank with the Stop & Shop and I concluded that they are the same. The dog from the supermarket was smaller, but they tasted too much alike.

One person got back to me and told me that due to confidentiality agreements, they couldn't tell me who makes their franks. I've been told this by other supermarkets, most recently Pathmark, who sells franks made by Dietz and Watson, Sabrett, and Best under their own label. A few hours later I got a call from another person who told me that the franks at my Stop & Shop are indeed Pearls. So if you are near Union, N.J. you have access to a very good all beef dog. Sold loose in any quantity you want.

Subsequently my wife picked up 2 of the beef and pork franks from Stop & Shop. I won't go into detail but again I tried to find out where they are from. They are also made by Pearl. I didn't know that Pearl made a beef and pork frank. Same size (about 5 or 6 to a lb) and natural casing. The skinless beef and pork franks that are sold in 1 lb packages with a Stop & Shop label are made by Kayem.

My wife thinks I'm nuts for trying to find this out. But it's nice to have a good natural casing hot dog available nearby without having to buy more than you need. Wegmans sells Thumanns and Hofmann's loose, but it's a little bit of a trip for me.

John Fox

RE: HOT DOGS Sun, 06/1/08 10:44 AM (permalink)
                                        Interesting article dated May 20th about Kayem acquiring Jordan's, Deutschmacher's, Kirschner, and Essem brands from Tyson Foods.

http://www.kayem.com/news/compnews/Tyson2008.pdf

David_NYC

RE: HOT DOGS Sun, 06/1/08 11:57 PM (permalink)
                                          John, I was out and about over the weekend. Royal Ahold/Stop and Shop does seem to buy from a lot of different meat packers. Anyway, the trick is to get a look at those boxes that the Stop & Shop deli franks come in. The magic USDA plant number for Pearl is 424.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                                            RE: HOT DOGS Tue, 08/25/09 10:28 PM (permalink)
                                            John Fox

Interesting article dated May 20th about Kayem acquiring Jordan's, Deutschmacher's, Kirschner, and Essem brands from Tyson Foods.

http://www.kayem.com/news/compnews/Tyson2008.pdf

I just realized that a favorite, natural casing hot dog of mine -- and one which we enjoy every summer while in Maine -- is one that, to-date, has received very little attention on this site. It is the above referenced Kirschner hot dogs and which used to be produced by Kirschner Meats in Augusta, Maine before being purchased by the above noted Kayem Foods last year.

Anyone else enjoyed these? And BTW, I've not noticed a particular change to this fine product since last year's corporate takeover including it being still sold under the Kirschner name.

What say you, John Fox?

David_NYC

RE: HOT DOGS Wed, 08/26/09 12:03 PM (permalink)
                                              i95:
                                              Where did you have the Kirschner franks? I haven't seen Kirschner for sale by any of the usual retailers in Southern New England. Also, while researching Deutschmacher in 2007, I found production of those Tyson brands shifted to Tyson's Russer plant in Buffalo around 2004. In 2007, some of those products now had Kayem's plant number on them, though the label still had Tyson's name on the package.

i95

RE: HOT DOGS Wed, 08/26/09 1:44 PM (permalink)
                                                David_NYC

i95:
                                                Where did you have the Kirschner franks? 

Answer:

David_NYC

RE: HOT DOGS Wed, 08/26/09 9:37 PM (permalink)
                                                  Thanks! It a pity they don't send them down along I-95.

John Fox

RE: HOT DOGS Fri, 08/28/09 8:06 PM (permalink)
                                                    i-95,

Just getting back from an abbreviated vacation (have to get my son ready for college) in Vermont. Unfortunately, I didn't get much of an opprtunity to search out hot dogs. I did get to try Kayem again and a Vermont brand named MacKenzie that is made by Kayem. I did not come across Kirschner in the local country stores. Did not get a chance to stop in Hannaford's or Shaw's, which we passed by. I have never had a Kirschner's. It's good to hear that you haven't noticed a change in the product. I've been told that Kayem tries to maintain the individuality of the brands that they obtain.

There is a popular brand in New Jersey called Schickhaus. They had a plant in Kearny, N.J. that closed years ago. The brand was produced by severeal different meat companies. But it always tastes the same, which is a good thing. It's currently being produced by Armour-Eckrich. In the past it was made by Grote & Weigel (two different times), Russer Foods, and others.

i95

Re:HOT DOGS Sat, 08/7/10 6:40 PM (permalink)
                                                      Just an update here that natural casing Kirschner hot dogs are still for sale in Maine as I both purchased and enjoyed some there last week. Very good.

Tony White

• Total Posts: 80
                                                        • Location: Washingtonville, NY
                                                        Re:HOT DOGS Fri, 06/10/11 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                                        Just finished my first Stop & Shop Hot Dogs of the Season. I prefer the
                                                        beef & pork variety which IMHO are the best store brand you can find.

John Fox

Re:HOT DOGS Sun, 06/12/11 7:23 PM (permalink)
                                                          They are made for Stop & Shop by Kayem and are very good for a store brand.

Tony White

• Total Posts: 80
                                                            • Location: Washingtonville, NY
                                                            Re:HOT DOGS Sun, 06/12/11 11:56 PM (permalink)
                                                            John they remind me of Hot Dogs that my Dad would buy loose from a deli back in the 60's. Your approval is all I need,no one has as much passion or knowledge of Hot Dogs as you do.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com