HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
GeneDabney
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2013/03/23 20:27:53 (permalink)

HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY

I usually give them $3 am I being cheap?????
i am in San Antonio Texas

36 Replies Related Threads

GeneDabney
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/23 21:40:33 (permalink)
    HELLO NO BODY ON HERE

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/23 21:47:07 (permalink)
    I's the pizza man on his way...now?

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3431
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/23 22:32:55 (permalink)
    I guess it depends on how much the pizza you ordered cost, and if you want him to come back to your house on a regular basis or not. Of course, geography also plays a factor, because cost of living and distance delivered vary. It also depends on if the delivery is free or if you have to pay extra, and if they give the delivery fee to the driver or the company keeps it. Here, delivery is free within a very limited area, and a large pizza costs about $18.00 (unless you go to a chain). I usually tip $5.00.

And yelling at us because we were all doing something other than being online on a Saturday night to answer your question about tipping a pizza guy in the time frame you deem appropriate is really not the best way to make friends and influence people.
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/23 22:53:22 (permalink)
    Wouldn't it have been a good idea to use the search feature to see if this topic hasn't been exhaustively debated in detail?

Welcome aboard.

Careful though, many of us will bite if provoked. We do try to make nice.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/24 07:30:50 (permalink)
    I usually tip $5, more if it is a big order.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6171
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/24 11:42:26 (permalink)
    I TIP $5.00.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/24 11:47:02 (permalink)
    Some hands must be shakin' at the notion of tipping $5....based on the previous tip threads on Roadfood.

$5 sounds good!
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2357
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/24 13:04:50 (permalink)
    OK so, this guy picks up a Pizza off the counter, puts it into a holding bag, jumps into his car, drives to your house, rings your doorbell and hands you a cold pizza. Now for this action he gets a 50% tip for a $10 order or a 25% tip for a $20 order, based on a $5 tip. It's not like he had to jump on a horse and ride through wind and rain hitting him in the face while dust gets sucked into his nose....

Now, stop in a burger joint with table service, or maybe a diner. The total bill comes to $20, 15% tip gives the server $3.........
     Lets see what the server did this for $3 or a 15% tip

The Food service Server:
    1...Said hello my name is Chewy, I'll be your server today
    2... gives menu and Takes drink order.
    3....  comes back with drink order after being sexual harassed by the bartender.
    3...Comes back for your food order, I need more time,How much time can I need its a freaking burger joint.
    4 ... server comes back,.takes my order and gets asked why I have to pay an extra $1 for a .10 cent slice of cheese. Server rolls eyes, takes order
     5....server comes back and asks if you would like refills on pop, my wife asks for extra napkins knowing her husband will drip burger juices all over his shirt..
      6... The server comes back with the refills, tells customers that the food will be up in a minute. The serve knows the cooks are a bunch of aholes, they are screwing off in the kitchen and the server gets blamed for their being slow with the food order.

7...The food is ready, gets picked up by the server, they stick a ketchup btl in their pocket (This isn't Louis Lunch) and asks who's the big shot that has the burger with the high price extra slice of cheese on their burger. I raise my hand, it's mine, my wife rolls her eyes knowing she made a mistake 35 yrs ago. Server tells us to have a good meal, and asks if there is anything else we may need..

8....  Server comes back, asks how every is, I say,  the burger is well done and I ordered it Medium Rare. The serve looks concerned and asks if she can get me another one. I say No thats ok, I'll just suffer through this brick on a bun, the cheese is the best part of the burger. My wife says her meal is fine, she rolls her eyes at me saying, I told you to order the chicken sandwich.

9.. The waitress comes back, asks if we would like anything else, tells us about the 4 layer chocolate cake that is 4000 calories for dessert. I say, do I look like I need dessert, both her and my wife agree that I don't...the server says they will be the cashier and walks away.

10....Server comes back picks up the money and returns with the change, all in $1 bills..

11....Me, being a big spender, take the receipt and see the food bill is $20. Well, the server did a good job, although my burger was well done. Being the high roller I am, I guess it was worth a nice 15% Tip. On my way out I hand her $3 and tell her the service was great, thanks .....

All this for $3..............and the Pizza guy gets a 25% to 50%.........I guess that was a bunch of work sitting in the car with the radio blasting to bring the pizza to the door.............I don't tip the pizza person.....We go pick up New York Pizza, why eat cold junk, when you can eat the best.

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/24 13:43:28 (permalink)
    Where do you get pizza for $10?
    pnwchef
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/24 13:58:52 (permalink)
    $10 special at Pizza Hut all the time, any size $10 Bucks
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/24 14:54:04 (permalink)
    Sorry, I'm talking real pizza, not chain pizza. Here base price for a 10" plain thin crust cheese is $10. Head on up in price when you increase the size and toppings or if you go for a different crust. Your base pizza can get to $19 and up. And.... it's worth it, it's good pizza.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/24 14:57:38 (permalink)
    Here the " pizza" guy is usually the guy delivering any other delicious menu item other than pizza...and pizza parlors in this area have very long menus...

http://filipposonfirst.com/pics/page1.jpg

http://filipposonfirst.com/pics/page2.jpg

...and some of the most difficult & costly parking situations in the country.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/03/24 15:01:13
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/24 15:37:25 (permalink)
    pnwchef

$10 special at Pizza Hut all the time, any size $10 Bucks

We're talking pizza, not what Pizza Hut serves.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/24 15:40:34 (permalink)
    I think that we're getting lost in the semantics of the word tip. Like Pchef says , this isn't the same thing. The driver is merely delivering. If anyone would get a tip proper, that would be the ones that prepare the pizza and any resultant service they provide. The wheels guy just delivers. Most of the major chains have changed the wording from "tip" to "reward" the driver. The chain has already "tipped" themselves in the delivery fee if they charge one. The driver is subsequently rewarded for his non-service delivery without any contribution from that delivery fee which as no root in a percentage of the order cost any more then if UPS or FedEx wanted a percentage of the cost of your package.

We normally don't order out Pizza and quit Pizza Hut when they dropped the $5 off  coupon code. Last week Papa Johns gave 50% to AARP  members up to the 19th on their 14" large pizzas. Depending on which, that's only $5-$6 per pizza and a bargain if you picked it up saving the delivery and tip nonsense. I couldn't make two meals for that price for the both of us.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1009
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/25 11:36:37 (permalink)
    I'm really surprised that people wouldn't tip the pizza delivery guy.  We've found that generous tips mean faster service and hotter food. Our favorite independent pizza place in south Minneapolis just lost its lease, but when it was still operating, when you telephoned to order,  they usually told you it would be 45 minutes to an hour for delivery (more if it was snowing). We always got ours in less than 30 minutes because the delivery folks knew we tipped well.  The place had coupons that we used most times, for 3 dollars off a large two-topping pizza.  We'd tip based on the non-discounted price of the pizza.
    I note that this place had no delivery charge (within their delivery radius), and although it was always easy to park on our particular stretch of the city street, I can attest that parking would often be a challenge for the delivery person within their radius, especially in winter when the City of Minneapolis is less than effective in clearing the snow from the secondary streets.
    We tipped the same way when we lived in Old Town Alexandria, outside D.C. 

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/25 11:52:34 (permalink)
    Most pizza delivery guys are required to drive their own cars. They are not compensated for gas, mileage, insurance, maintenance, or anything else to do with their cars. They are also typically paid less than minimum wage, because it is considered a tipped position.

And then there's this...
    rumaki 

I'm really surprised that people wouldn't tip the pizza delivery guy.  We've found that generous tips mean faster service and hotter food. 

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/25 12:39:38 (permalink)
    Same here. The delivery guys use their own vehicles...on their own dime.

Free delivery...usually a minimum purchase...professional quick friendly service. Well worth a generous tip...considering actually finding a parking spot near any place in this area often means parking beyond the distance of the actual delivery location.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/25 13:12:20 (permalink)
    I am thinking if you can't afford to throw the delivery guy a few bucks, maybe you shouldn't order delivery. $5 isn't going to make a big difference in my life, but if the delivery guy gets that much from each customer it could make a difference in his or her life.

Then there is always this option. Often see them 10 for $10

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/25 13:18:14 (permalink)
    Abbondanza!
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1080
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/25 13:41:43 (permalink)
    I very rarely get delivery pizza but when I do I tip around $4-$5 depending on the total.

I will say that in the scenarios described in detail above a $3 tip seems very stingy.  I would go $4 minimum on average service and up from there if it was great service.  I can't remeber the last time I tipped 15%. 
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/25 14:29:00 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

I am thinking if you can't afford to throw the delivery guy a few bucks, maybe you shouldn't order delivery. $5 isn't going to make a big difference in my life, but if the delivery guy gets that much from each customer it could make a difference in his or her life.  

In the late 1960's I delivered pizza while in college and it was a huge difference in my life. I was in a small town and most people knew me and were very generous. It sure helped pay the expenses. 
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/25 16:21:10 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

Abbondanza!

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/26 13:49:29 (permalink)
    If I can expand on this pertinent topic.

Would you tip the Chinese delivery guy the same as the pizza guy?  More importantly, what if the guys were gals?
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1009
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/26 13:52:53 (permalink)
    Absolutely I would (in principle) tip the Chinese delivery guy, although I've only had Chinese food delivered once since I  moved to Minneapolis, and the delivery was so slow and the food so indifferent that I've never used them again.

Gender of the delivery person is irrelevant. The pizza place I mentioned in my earlier post had both male and female delivery persons, and we tipped the same for either. 
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/26 13:58:53 (permalink)
    I took "Pizza Guy" as non-gender specific (kind of like when I refer to myself as a "lighting guy" or "not a sound guy"). The gender of said delivery person is completely irrelevant to how much I tip them.

As for Chinese delivery...I've read about it in books, but I've never experienced it. We don't have that here. There is one Asian restaurant downtown that will deliver to our convention center, but the only time I get it the employer is paying for it because they owe us a meal, so I have no idea how tipping would work. I tend to not eat there when I'm not working since I have it all the time while I am.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/26 14:09:17 (permalink)
    The Chinese Delivery guy gets the same generous tip from me. He drives a bicycle and also drops extra fortune cookies in the bag so I can learn new words in Chinese and have plenty of lucky Powerball numbers.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/26 14:37:42 (permalink)
    We have had Chinese delivery at work but it's generally missing something, it's been easier to send a employee and place the order in person.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/26 16:17:54 (permalink)
    pnwchef

OK so, this guy picks up a Pizza off the counter, puts it into a holding bag, jumps into his car, drives to your house, rings your doorbell and hands you a cold pizza. Now for this action he gets a 50% tip for a $10 order or a 25% tip for a $20 order, based on a $5 tip. It's not like he had to jump on a horse and ride through wind and rain hitting him in the face while dust gets sucked into his nose....

Now, stop in a burger joint with table service, or maybe a diner. The total bill comes to $20, 15% tip gives the server $3.........
    Lets see what the server did this for $3 or a 15% tip

The Food service Server:
    1...Said hello my name is Chewy, I'll be your server today
    2... gives menu and Takes drink order.
    3....  comes back with drink order after being sexual harassed by the bartender.
    3...Comes back for your food order, I need more time,How much time can I need its a freaking burger joint.
    4 ... server comes back,.takes my order and gets asked why I have to pay an extra $1 for a .10 cent slice of cheese. Server rolls eyes, takes order
    5....server comes back and asks if you would like refills on pop, my wife asks for extra napkins knowing her husband will drip burger juices all over his shirt..
    6... The server comes back with the refills, tells customers that the food will be up in a minute. The serve knows the cooks are a bunch of aholes, they are screwing off in the kitchen and the server gets blamed for their being slow with the food order.

7...The food is ready, gets picked up by the server, they stick a ketchup btl in their pocket (This isn't Louis Lunch) and asks who's the big shot that has the burger with the high price extra slice of cheese on their burger. I raise my hand, it's mine, my wife rolls her eyes knowing she made a mistake 35 yrs ago. Server tells us to have a good meal, and asks if there is anything else we may need..

8....  Server comes back, asks how every is, I say,  the burger is well done and I ordered it Medium Rare. The serve looks concerned and asks if she can get me another one. I say No thats ok, I'll just suffer through this brick on a bun, the cheese is the best part of the burger. My wife says her meal is fine, she rolls her eyes at me saying, I told you to order the chicken sandwich.

9.. The waitress comes back, asks if we would like anything else, tells us about the 4 layer chocolate cake that is 4000 calories for dessert. I say, do I look like I need dessert, both her and my wife agree that I don't...the server says they will be the cashier and walks away.

10....Server comes back picks up the money and returns with the change, all in $1 bills..

11....Me, being a big spender, take the receipt and see the food bill is $20. Well, the server did a good job, although my burger was well done. Being the high roller I am, I guess it was worth a nice 15% Tip. On my way out I hand her $3 and tell her the service was great, thanks .....

All this for $3..............and the Pizza guy gets a 25% to 50%.........I guess that was a bunch of work sitting in the car with the radio blasting to bring the pizza to the door.............I don't tip the pizza person.....We go pick up New York Pizza, why eat cold junk, when you can eat the best.

OMG, Chef....you outdid yourself.......this is a classic!
    pnwchef
    Re:HOW MUCH ARE YOU SUPPOST TO TIP PIZZA GUY 2013/03/26 19:49:27 (permalink)

FriedClamFanatic: I'll be in Philly in June, come on down and I'll buy ya a Roast Pork Cheesesteak at John's Roast Pork, then I'll split a Table Talk pie with ya.............Yes I know, I'll bring one fron New York........pnwc
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1