Author
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
2008/03/11 17:32:07 (permalink)

HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington

OK.
I just got a great new job.
Great, except for the drive! I live in St. Francis, and drive into Burlington.
I take Layton to Loomis/Hwy 36, and straight on into Burlington.
Often, It's after 6, sometimes almost 7 by the time I get home, and I'm starving!
Are there any good places to stop along the way?
I know about Fred's and John's Main Event right in Burlington - anywhere else that's further along my route towards Milwaukee?

While I'm thinking about it...any good places for breakfast?

These places should not take me too far out of my way. I hate getting home late, and I don't need to wake up an hour earlier just to go to breakfast!

11 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4205
    RE: HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington 2008/03/11 21:02:45 (permalink)
    If you already know about Fred's, what else do you need? How can you pass up the "World's Best Hamburger", even if it is by self proclamation? Actually, I have eaten at Fred's and while it may not be the world's best hamburger, I'm gonna put it up there in the top five!

Also, there is a relatively new high end grocery store called Gooseberries, there in Burlington. I'm pretty sure they've got a good selection of prepared foods available. At least that way, you can eat reasonably quickly once you get home. A quick zap in the nuker and you're in business.

There are probably other options along the way, but you'll need the knowledeg and talents of MilwFoodlovers and chicagostyledog to clue you in.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington 2008/03/11 22:02:27 (permalink)
    Buddy's right, you've got Fred's, really no need for others but there are a few. http://frp.tripod.com/

Just up from Fred's is BJ Wentkers who's menu looks interesting. http://www.foodspot.com/bjwentkers/index.html

The Cottonpicker serves very good food in a setting your grandmother would just love. http://www.foodspot.com/cottonpicker/

Our friend Julie loves Chances http://www.foodspot.com/chances/

How can you not like a place that has both a tiki bar and one that still serves a relish tray with dinner? http://www.foodspot.com/coralreef/

Badlanders in Wind Lake is well worth a drive from Milwaukee and a stop if you are just in the neighborhood. Last time we stopped in, Laurie Jolly from Milwaukee's all-time best Roadfood joint, Jolly Vnuks, was enjoying semi-retirement by making all their soups. I'd drive 35 miles for one of her soups if she is still there. http://www.foodspot.com/badlanders/index.html

Not quite on Hwy 36, I've heard many good things about the Cotton Exchange in Waterford but never sampled it.http://www.foodspot.com/cottonexchange/

Not far off Hwy 36 in Franklin where it crosses Hwy 100 is Wegner's Saint Martins Inn which any visitor to Milwaukee should make a point of eating at. CSD seems to think it's his secret but I tried hiding it from him!!! http://www.stmartinsinn.com/

And of course where Hwy 36 ends is the very best Greek family restaurant I've ever found in all my travels, Paul's Omega on 27th St. in Milwaukee. And of course, that means it is what it is.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington 2008/03/11 23:28:51 (permalink)
    I wasn't sure where St. Francis was so I didn't realize St. Martin's Inn was on your way. Now that I know, I will vigorously second MLF's recommendation.

Friday's are fish fry night in an almost literal way. They suspend their regular menu for the evening and except for one item (I think it's a brat plate or something), serve only fish. Several varieties; fried, broiled, poached, coddled, toasted, roasted, and baked; fish, fish, fish, fish, fish!

The rest of the week they feature a German menu with a variety of specials. If they're serving the sauerbraten, dive in! They marinate the meat for a week with a tangy brine and mashed ginger snaps for a touch of sweetness.

There are two rooms; the outer bar which reflects the owner's love of NASCAR is abundantly decorated with racing car parts, photos, and models; hung on the walls and from the ceiling, covering almost every square inch of the room. The inner dining room is quiet, quaint, and reminiscent of Wisconsin's best supper clubs.

All in all, St. Martin's Inn is an excellent Roadfood choice for the hungry man woman (edited with apologies) returning from work.

Buddy

P.S. Hey Mike, how far away is his her (same again) route from The Hideaway? Another outstanding option if you're in the neighborhood.

B.
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington 2008/03/12 08:26:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I was hoping to bypass Burlington joints, just because when I get out of work, I'm not really hungry, but by the time I get home, I sure am! I can see myself stopping at Adrian's (it's open again!!!) for a Malt for the way home, though, to kill the onset of hunger pangs.....

I know alllllll about St. Martin's Inn, y'all...been going there for I-don't-know-how-many-years....even before I moved away to NOLA.

The Hideaway is not that far out of my way. Hmmm....forgot about it, actually.

Buddy - I grew up in Greendale, so I'm familiar with most things from about Hwy 100/Ryan Road on in to Milwaukee. I was hoping for new ideas, though!

Thanks Mike - I'll maybe check out Badlanders soon!

X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington 2008/03/12 10:13:03 (permalink)
    By the way, Buddy...I'm a hungry WOMAN returning from work...

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington 2008/03/12 12:57:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by X1

Duly noted with sincere apologies and corrections made above. BTW, thanks for the smooch, but I'm not sure Mrs. Roadhouse would appreciate it. Don't misunderstand-I don't want you to remove it from your post, just play it cool if you're ever in the same room with my wife.

Buddy
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington 2008/03/12 13:06:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

quote:
    Originally posted by X1

Duly noted with sincere apologies and corrections made above. BTW, thanks for the smooch, but I'm not sure Mrs. Roadhouse would appreciate it. Don't misunderstand-I don't want you to remove it from your post, just play it cool if you're ever in the same room with my wife.

Buddy

Cool as a cucummmm...hey, this is Roadfood! "Cool as Kopp's custard"!

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington 2008/03/12 13:08:28 (permalink)
    Very slick

B.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    RE: HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington 2008/03/12 18:00:04 (permalink)
    Good advice from good Roadfooders-I guess I have nothing to add except just north of Omega on 27th and Loomis is Mazos burgers(27th st, right side,just south of Oklahoma) Good burgers.And you can always pick up a Neds pizza(pizza from my childhood)on the same side of the street!!
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington 2008/03/12 19:59:13 (permalink)
    Oh, yeah. Mazo's is good...but now you're heading in the opposite direction -towards Bay View-ish.
    I live in St. Francis - very near to Old Carriage Cafe, which I could stop at by myself, but it's so much food for just one person!
    joem15
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: HWY 36 between Milwaukee & Burlington 2008/03/27 22:15:20 (permalink)
    You might want to try kelly's Bleachers in Wind Lake. They have a dining room off of the main bar (or you can eat in the bar area) with a pretty good selection of food.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1