Hacker Concern

Author
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
2007/05/10 18:48:22 (permalink)

Hacker Concern

I have been getting a lot of alerts on my firewall when on the Roadfood site, no other site I visit generates so many alerts. I am rather security conscious and have invested in the best systems in the business and most attacks are deflected easily. I am not sure, but I believe one did get through today.

While browsing through Forums today my computer crashed, a highly unusual event with me. The computer went into an automatic restart. My program of last resort, Win Patrol caught a few new programs at the startup. This program detects any changes on every startup, if something has changed since the last startup the program will detect it and ask you if you want it killed. Of course, I killed the new programs and did diagnostics with my other security programs.

No, I am not selling Win Patrol, it is a fully functional free program although you can do paid for information on what it is dealing with to help you make a decision. Hint: If it is new and you did not install it, kill it.

I wonder if others have encountered security problems lately on Roadfood?

15 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/05/10 18:55:57 (permalink)
    Personally I have no problems of invasion... I use XP Pro, SP2, Firefox and ZoneAlarm. But it's interesting you mention it... Will have to work thru my logs and check if anything tried or attempted during my visits here... Probably the ads (google and several other sources by the looks of it) they have generating trying to leave cookies...
    Side Note here... Have you run a spyware and adware scan on your system? Could be something in there interacting with some of the ads..

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/05/10 19:02:30 (permalink)
    "I wonder if others have encountered security problems lately on Roadfood?"

No, never have.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/05/10 19:04:04 (permalink)
    Uncle Vic,

This is not a cookie thing...It blew right through Zone Alarm, Spyware Doctor and a few other programs as well. This is why I am concerned.
    Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/05/10 19:10:34 (permalink)
    Actually my computer has been infected with spyware twice since I have been accessing this website. I am very concerned but am happy that my "computer guys" keep the system really up to date with protection. (what! am I doing this at work?! never!) Doatsie
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/05/10 19:23:44 (permalink)
    Greyghost.. If it blew threw all that you mentioned, I'd place my money that you either illegally downloaded some softare (with hacker crap in it), or someone gave or sold you a program with Hacker Crap in it.. To "blow thru ZoneAlarm", it has to be something authorized from the administrator end.. Either you clicking OK, or something taking control, either via software or remotely from an installed bug. Last option is, got an 'ex' trying to follow your tracks, that may have slipped your confuser a mickey?
    Try clicking "CTRL-ALT-DELETE" if your running XP. Check both processes and applications to see whats running in the background.

Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/05/10 21:31:31 (permalink)
    No, never.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/05/11 07:26:42 (permalink)
    No problems but I avoid clicking on links in some of the posts unless I know the source. And never click when it says you need "X" viewer to see a video or play a game. They're the most invasive because when you click "OK", you in effect agree to let it past your protection.

My husband has been fixing crashed computers and doing data retrival for 20+ years so I am overly cautious not to become one of his customers.

bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/05/11 08:20:26 (permalink)
    i come on here alot. sometimes, i have problems with spyware. most are easy to remove, but once in a while... just two weeks ago, one got through, it was a bad bad bug. ate up my hard drive, on my laptop. sill waiting for the arabs to send me a new one. now i am reduced to 'dial up" til i get that little package.
    i think i posted similar warnings here a few months ago....
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8328
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/05/11 12:42:11 (permalink)
    Have not had any problems myself.....
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/05/11 12:49:54 (permalink)
    I use IE, I confess. I also use Ad-Aware's Spyware program, NOD32 for everything else. I don't keep an address book on Outlook Express and I use a Yahoo account for anything questionable in emails. I have almost NO spam whatsoever, but what I have gotten, I got from here (the Nigerian emails). I think I do pretty well, overall.

Fingers crossed......
    sonjaab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/06/12 12:48:19 (permalink)
    SPAM ALERT...................

I recieved this spam money grab e-mail thru my AOL e-mail
    that was sent from roadfood...........

You received the following message from: peak105 (gracejohnson500@yahoo.com)

At: http://www.roadfood.com/forums/

From Miss Grace Johnson
    Avenue45 Rue 56 Macory Abidjan,Cote d'Ivoire
    Email: gracejohnson208@yahoo.com

My dear,
    Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into long time relatioship and financial transaction for our mutual benefits hence I write with due respect .I am Miss GRACE JOHNSON and I inherited an important sum of money from my late father who died in a recent crisis in Cote d'Ivoire. I wish to request for your assistance in investing this money in a lucrative venture under your directives and guidiance in your country. I want you to assist me for the transfer of this sum of Five million, Three hundred thousand United State Dollars.($5.300,000)to your account designate hence I will give you the contact of the bank where the money is so that you can contact them immediately and discuss with them since I do not know much about financial issues. I will give you some resonable percentage from the total sum for your assistance while I pray that you do not betray me at last. Please it is important you contact me immediately for more clarifications on the next step hence it is my wish to relocate to your country as soon as this transaction is concluded.
    Awaiting your immediate response via this email address, (gracejohnson208@yahoo.com)for more details.

God bless you.
    Miss GRACE JOHNSON

Watch out for this one............

But in the meanwhile I am gonna fool with them..........LOL!!!!!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2125
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/06/12 13:28:38 (permalink)
    Thanks, I locked out the bloody African spammer.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/06/12 13:52:22 (permalink)
    Yes, those like Sonjaab posted is what I receive, but not that often. I didn't realize that you could lock them out, Stephen, and just deleted them. Next time I'll let you know! Sue
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/06/12 22:25:51 (permalink)
    We have even been getting the Africian Spammer on our Supreme Court computers. Lincoln will kick them in the ***

Lol,
    De Judge
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Hacker Concern 2007/06/12 22:36:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aleswench

Yes, those like Sonjaab posted is what I receive, but not that often. I didn't realize that you could lock them out, Stephen, and just deleted them. Next time I'll let you know! Sue

Please do...we lock them as soon as we know about them! Just send a copy of the e-mail, or the name of the person who sent you the message to any or all of the moderators and administrators. We like to take care of these things fast!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1