Haitiam food

Author
FrancesC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/11/18 20:47:01 (permalink)

Haitiam food

Hi! My name is Frances and I am a nutrition major. I have a project due on Haitian food. I am making squash soup and sweet potatoe bread. Have any of you heard of boniatas or malange? They are ingredients in these recipes. From what I can figure out, they're both like sweet potatoes. Any clues on where I can get them from? Any imput is great! Thanks!
FrancesC.

7 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Haitiam food 2005/11/18 21:34:33 (permalink)
    Frances, a good market that would cater to the Puerto Rican clientle will carry those items. Many folks with a Caribbean background can fill you in on the uses of root vegetables. You'll find many names for the same item for example New Orleans mirletons are Puerto Rican chayote are Jamaican cho-cho's are Haitian Christophe pears. I wouldn't call your items sweet potato's; I believe they are tubers that the Jamaicans call breadkinds. A Google search on Haiti & recipes will turn much of what youneed such as http://www.islandflave.com/recipes/haiti.html
    Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Haitiam food 2005/11/19 07:43:17 (permalink)
    Hello FranceC,
    Don't know a thing about Haitian food, but
    WELCOME to Roadfood.
    There is much to learn and share here. Please share more of what you are learning.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Haitiam food 2005/11/20 08:02:53 (permalink)
    FrancesC

If you should be in Atlanta, Georgia, you will find what you need in the big Farmer's Markets such as DeKalb and also in some Publix stores. Otherwise, the PR hint should be help.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Haitiam food 2005/12/31 10:25:47 (permalink)
    Many people in Haiti don't have much to eat and I saw this first hand when I went there with a church group. They would come to feeding stations and get an allotment of steamed rice each day based upon the size of the family. We filled up their pails and they always wanted more. It really makes one reflect on what they think is bad in their lives.

Andrea
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Haitiam food 2006/01/07 00:23:34 (permalink)
    I remember going to a Club Med in Haiti (yes) about 20 years ago. Thre was a remarkable comment made to us at the "Orientation" by the "Chef de Village":

He said:

"Welcome to Club Med Haiti. We invite you to a wonderful stay with us. Most of our meals are buffets and we have only one request: please, enjoy yourselves, enjoy the food, but please only take what you will eat. Because our staff who will clean your table are local and the average annual income is (about) $500 a year. They will have to throw away what you leave on your dish, and their families may not have enough food at home. So please be sensitive..."

OMG, I couldn't enjoy the vacation at all after that, and have never forgotten that speech......
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Haitiam food 2006/01/13 16:25:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

I remember going to a Club Med in Haiti (yes) about 20 years ago. Thre was a remarkable comment made to us at the "Orientation" by the "Chef de Village":

He said:

"Welcome to Club Med Haiti. We invite you to a wonderful stay with us. Most of our meals are buffets and we have only one request: please, enjoy yourselves, enjoy the food, but please only take what you will eat. Because our staff who will clean your table are local and the average annual income is (about) $500 a year. They will have to throw away what you leave on your dish, and their families may not have enough food at home. So please be sensitive..."

OMG, I couldn't enjoy the vacation at all after that, and have never forgotten that speech......

This is all true NYNM. That Club Med is now closed, and to think of the jobs that were lost and the hurt it put on the employees. At all the Club Meds I've been to, they would let the help take home food from the buffets, which I'm sure they shared with others. I think that Club Med was called "Magic Isle".
    I've been to the slums in Haiti and seen first-hand the hunger and desperation --- yah and it is something you'll never forget.

Andrea
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    Re:Haitiam food 2009/06/26 18:56:37 (permalink)
    FrancesC

Hi! My name is Frances and I am a nutrition major. I have a project due on Haitian food. I am making squash soup and sweet potatoe bread. Have any of you heard of boniatas or malange? They are ingredients in these recipes. From what I can figure out, they're both like sweet potatoes. Any clues on where I can get them from? Any imput is great! Thanks!
    FrancesC.

Boniato is the Cuban Spanish term for sweet orangey-ellow yams called camote in Mexico and Central America and erroneously papa dulce-sweet potatoes in other Spanish speaking nations.

Malanga is a tuber similar to yucca/mandioc/cassava, it is called yautia in Puerto Rico, in Cuba there are two varities, white and tangy or yellow and slightly sweet

My wife is Jamaican and our best forends and neighbors are Cubans, they cook with those tubers and others in a variety of platters, boiled, fried, baked, smashed, in potages, as a side dish, fritters etc

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1