Half-smokes in the DC area

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Dick Cain
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2004/01/27 16:24:11 (permalink)

Half-smokes in the DC area

I remember seeing a discussion a year or so back concerning half-smokes in the DC area. I have tried twice to find them when I visit there and no one seems to know what I am talking about.

Any help for me out there?

Where, specifically, can I find them.

In addition to posting a reply, could you send me personal email to dick@dickcain.com

Thanks
Dick
<///><

46 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/01/27 17:04:58 (permalink)
    The great half-smoke place in the city is[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1284&RefID=1284']Ben's Chili Bowl[/url], but you should be able to find them at BBQ's and hot dog joints in the greater DC area.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/01/27 17:15:34 (permalink)
    Michael: You have posted more today than you have in a long time. Must be a bad day where you are?

What is a half smoke? We are sorta deprived in East Tennessee and do not get a lot of the treats you guys get.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/01/28 09:23:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

The great half-smoke place in the city is[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1284&RefID=1284']Ben's Chili Bowl[/url], but you should be able to find them at BBQ's and hot dog joints in the greater DC area.

One such place would be the Weenie Beanie, a drive-in just across the river from DC in Arlington, Virginia.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/01/28 11:27:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7
    [br
    What is a half smoke? We are sorta deprived in East Tennessee and do not get a lot of the treats you guys get.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

A half smoke is a delicious half-beef, half-pork smoked breakfast sausage is served in a hot dog bun but I have never been able to find them in any grocery store or butcher shop..........would really like to find a source for them.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/01/28 11:38:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

One such place would be the Weenie Beanie, a drive-in just across the river from DC in Arlington, Virginia.

Good fried white fish sandwiches at the Weenie Beanie, too, located just south of Shirlington.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/01/28 11:39:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Michael: You have posted more today than you have in a long time. Must be a bad day where you are?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

We are deprived as well in Florida. I was wondering myself what a half smoke was. Glad you asked!
    1upstate1
    Junior Burger
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/01/28 12:58:13 (permalink)
    I don't personally think half smokes are that special, but Weenie Beenie is good - haven't been to Ben's. But have seen off and on half smokes in local supermarkets, made by Briggs or others..
    jmshumakersr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/02/02 14:21:21 (permalink)
    I doubt if there are any out at this time of year but most of the hot dog carts in D.C. sell the Sabrett half-smokes which they steam, whereas Ben's grill theirs. I prefer them steamed myself. If ANYONE knows where the Sabrett half-smokes/spicy sausages can be bought, please post that information on this forum. Thanks.
    tarragon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/02/02 15:06:00 (permalink)
    Oh my, those hot dog vendors are a year-round staple in DC, have been for years. I would advise finding one of the vendors on Pennsylvania Avenue, as opposed to Constitution--the ones on Constitution are directly off the Mall area and more convenient to tourists; the ones on Pennsylvania Ave. cater more to the government workers. There is one vendor, a lady, who is normally at the corner of 9th and Penn., just outside of the Justice Dept.--she has been there for years and honestly has the best hot dogs and half smokes in DC, IMHO. Be sure to try her onion sauce too--it's the best as well!

As to where to buy Sabretts in the DC area, let me do a little checking and see where to buy. I do know that Murry's used to sell boxes of half smokes, Murry's brand though not Sabrett. I'll post what I find later.

tarragon
    POLSKA
    Junior Burger
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/02/27 21:28:56 (permalink)
    I grew up in Maryland in the seventies..Murry's Steaks was the only supplier in those days ..They had a few retail stores in DC Metro area ..I emailed them about 2 years ago - still waiting for a reply ..The half-smokes are not on their website ..Could an author in the area swing by one of their locations and let us know what is going on ?
    jmshumakersr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/03/02 08:11:31 (permalink)
    I'm going to D.C. tomorrow and I plan on having at least a couple of half-smokes from a street vendor. If I can't find one I may go to Ben's. It's been almost two years since I had a half-smoke. I CAN TASTE THEM NOW!!!!!
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/03/02 13:26:16 (permalink)
    I don't know if this is what you all are looking for, however here is a link to buy Esskay half-smokes. Scroll almost all the way to the bottom of the page. They have hot and mild.

http://www.wholesomefoodsinc.com/shop/menu#skhams
    RodRodRodRod
    Junior Burger
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/03/02 18:46:47 (permalink)

Let me tell you I KNOW MY SMOKES. Best DC smokes you can't find in stores, Sabrett VIP KOSHER. Its what being paids all about, and I got the 4 cart garage for my own customiz'd vendor rides!

But for a fast smoke, yo,[url='http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?location=rQEZh%2bG2dvC62GUxiom0FtGHBmALSctikl8tu3Sn8k6jDu3s2VHI5IR3AZd2qEWf7a2%2bdKvXsrdQgAhlTUmIE8H0vYhsvxGf9eQngYmBC%2b1bKlFkDutUcg%3d%3d&address=601%20F%20Street&city=washington&state=DC&zipcode=&country=US&addtohistory=&submit=Get%20Map']peep cartman at F and 6th [/url]
    , but only get yo smokes from Big Ken. The Haitian dude gets his conidments wrong. Get the Food lube right!

Also, if your in Potomac, can't beat [url='http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?location=iVRGApe%2fasZ1FqngTyJtArE05N%2b9jDeyW0T%2bNG7QoADxZz2sa%2bavd%2bzf9t%2fxZZXq81JWELExMPWHumJDuSTylu4sSOXc%2b%2faCIDHQ%2bhD%2fTYcS7yE%2faluexBHVxLjZGiPZ&address=burbank%20dr&city=potomac&state=MD&zipcode=&country=US&addtohistory=&submit=Get%20Map']Burbank Drive[/url]. At the light the older guy walks between cars selling the frank to the black man!
    phillyman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/04/27 13:39:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by angelfood

I don't know if this is what you all are looking for, however here is a link to buy Esskay half-smokes. Scroll almost all the way to the bottom of the page. They have hot and mild.

http://www.wholesomefoodsinc.com/shop/menu#skhams
    phillyman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/04/27 13:41:38 (permalink)
    I cannot recommend this site for ordering half-smokes. Tried them a few months ago, had them ship the half-smokes to me in Florida. When they arrived 4 days later, there was the world's SMALLEST package of dry ice trying to cool a huge package of half-smokes. The temperature must have been 80 or 90 degrees in the container.
    tarragon
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/07/01 17:58:33 (permalink)
    Okay, I'm coming back to this topic because I did find an ad today for a market in Clinton MD that sells half-smoked sausages; unfortunately between the time I read that and now, I've -forgotten- the name of the market! They have a web site too! I promise to follow up on this; in fact, a co-worker was mentioning this particular market today and was going to stop by there to pick up some foods for their upcoming holiday cook-out. I promise to -write the information down on a post-it note- and then come and post about it. But they are available for sale; don't know what brand (will try to find that out as well), as well as find out whether or not they can be ordered over the Internet.

-tarragon
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/07/01 18:38:34 (permalink)
    Try "The Lucky Longhorn" or "The Pelican Palace" at Exit 4 from I-10 for Vinton, LA.(I think it was the latter.) They didn't call them that, and it seemed more like a smoked sausage than what I think of as breakfast sausage. They called them "mixed sausage," and they were delicious. Wish I'd had a camera & notepad when I stopped. When I asked a few questions, they fixed ma a plate they thought (accurately!) than I'd like. Then they gave me two slices of fresh, made-on-the-spot, pie just for lagniappe. If anyone's in the area, they sure do deserve to be a Roadfood entry. (Hint, Bushie!!)
    tarragon
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2004/07/06 07:35:01 (permalink)
    Here is a source for half smokes in the DC area, but they do not appear to be selling over the internet. They do have a website, where they list specials, hours & location, etc.

http://www.bkmillers.com

Itr's B.K. Miller's
    9024 Old Branch Ave.
    Clinton, MD

They carry Briggs and Kunzler brand half smokes. So if you're in the DC area and looking to purchase some, check them out.

Thank goodness I hadn't recycled Thursday's paper at work yet! LOL

-tarragon
    JohnnyLand
    Junior Burger
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2005/12/06 12:44:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jmshumakersr

I'm going to D.C. tomorrow and I plan on having at least a couple of half-smokes from a street vendor. If I can't find one I may go to Ben's. It's been almost two years since I had a half-smoke. I CAN TASTE THEM NOW!!!!!

You will be happy to now that the Murry's Supermarket on New Hampshire Ave. near the District Line has Briggs Mild half smokes in a 6 lb box. Just bought a box.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2005/12/06 17:09:05 (permalink)
    thank you Johnny!

(although I may wait for warmer weather so that I can grill them outside.)

douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2005/12/11 09:00:47 (permalink)
    Good job Johnny. I believe Murry's was the prime purveyor to the many of the small, mom&pop, carryouts back in the '60s & '70s. I like most Kunztler products, but the true DC half-smoke has always been Briggs.

Scorereader, no need to wait for grilling season. The traditional carryout method of prep was to have many of them lined up on the back of the griddle on low heat. When ordered, the smoke would be split, moved to the hot part of the griddle, and pressed with one of those heavy iron thingies to keep it from curling. You can replicate this stovetop in a cast iron skillet or griddle.

I miss those days, doug
    dmoeny
    Junior Burger
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2006/03/11 21:33:04 (permalink)
    Half smokes are available in the District from the butchers in the 6th and Florida Avenue Farmers market (the huge white building).

DM
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2006/03/12 16:24:06 (permalink)
    I'm from D.C. originally and had many a half smoke,personally i can't tell the diference between a half smoke and a louisiana hot link,which you can find most anywhere.The best i've had is made by the "evergood"sausage co.out of San Francisco,i found them at our local Costco.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2006/03/16 00:46:27 (permalink)
    I been half baked, but never half smoked....
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2006/03/16 00:59:45 (permalink)
    Many years ago I used to "Wake and Bake" but that didn't last long. It was a long day at work.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2006/03/16 03:14:19 (permalink)
    Sure ... wake and bake and then eat a half-smoke.

Ben's is still quite awesome, but I had a decent half-smoke from a street vendor outside the Foggy Bottom Metro station back in January when I went to the Duke/Georgetown game.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2006/03/16 09:33:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by douginvirginia

Good job Johnny. I believe Murry's was the prime purveyor to the many of the small, mom&pop, carryouts back in the '60s & '70s. I like most Kunztler products, but the true DC half-smoke has always been Briggs.

Scorereader, no need to wait for grilling season. The traditional carryout method of prep was to have many of them lined up on the back of the griddle on low heat. When ordered, the smoke would be split, moved to the hot part of the griddle, and pressed with one of those heavy iron thingies to keep it from curling. You can replicate this stovetop in a cast iron skillet or griddle.

I miss those days, doug

I go to Ben's Chili Bowl for that. I wanna grill 'em. The (current)ballpark is practically accross the street, so I'm hoping to have some people over to grill out some sausages and hotdogs, have a few beers and head to the game. Maybe even an afternoon game!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2006/03/16 09:35:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MandalayVA

Ben's is still quite awesome, but I had a decent half-smoke from a street vendor outside the Foggy Bottom Metro station back in January when I went to the Duke/Georgetown game.

you should come to a Washington Nationals game. When you get off the metro and head toward the stadium, the vendors are lined up on that last part of East Capitol St, almost all the way to the stadium.

Of course, the prices are jacked up a little. But, it's cheaper than inside the stadium.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area 2006/03/18 01:00:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
    Originally posted by MandalayVA

you should come to a Washington Nationals game. When you get off the metro and head toward the stadium, the vendors are lined up on that last part of East Capitol St, almost all the way to the stadium.

Of course, the prices are jacked up a little. But, it's cheaper than inside the stadium.

Never made it up there last year, but have it in my plans for this year. It would be nice if RFK was like Camden Yards and let you bring in outside food, because I'd be buying a bagful of half-smokes!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1