Halloween Favorites

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
2006/09/26 18:07:01 (permalink)

Halloween Favorites

i realize it's a tad early but i just moved into a neighborhood after spending years in apts. what kind of candy do kids like nowadays? any preferences? thanks

36 Replies Related Threads

Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/26 18:20:25 (permalink)
    I know the kids in our neighborhood love all the different types of miniature candy bars, all the Hersheys and name brands.

Nothing home-made. It'll just go in the garbage when they get home. Back in the day, we loved getting candy apples and popcorn balls, but no more!
    xannie_01
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/26 18:22:03 (permalink)
    thanks, pwingsx,
    i don't want to be known as the crazy old lady down the street who gives out crappy boxes of raisins.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/26 18:27:29 (permalink)
    Mini Reese's and Milky Way Midnite for me please!
    Oh, you can throw in some junior mints also!
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/26 20:51:10 (permalink)
    The trick or treaters that come to my door get Nestles Crunch. Thats the favorite candy of my children, so I buy 10 bags of the Halloween sized bars. Whatever is leftover goes into the freezer for my children to eat for the rest of the year although I pick too and it does not last...
    The candy they collect I sort through and save for them or bring to the office for others to munch on.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/26 21:26:44 (permalink)
    For me it is kind of pot luck. When they come to the door and say "trick or treat" I always say "I will take the treat" and quickly grab a few items out of their bag and just as quickly close the door before they can respond.
    xannie_01
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/26 21:31:50 (permalink)
    LOL, thanks, greyghost
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/26 21:32:52 (permalink)
    Whatever you do, you don't want to look cheap. Don't be the person standing there giving out 1 lollipop (like Dum-Dums) or piece of hard candy per kid. And no pretzels. I guarantee they'll look at each other and roll their eyes as soon as they turn around, if not before. And don't bother with those cheap "variety packs" at the discout store that contain 15 lbs of candy for $.99. The kids will hate you for life.

I find that M&M's and Reese's Peanut Butter cups are popular, and then Kit Kat, Snickers, maybe plain Hershey's.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/26 21:52:25 (permalink)
    In my 'hood they like money. coins. cash.
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/26 22:45:19 (permalink)
    Try going to your local food wholesale compnay to find something different. Last year we did "ring pops".
    PCC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 00:40:09 (permalink)
    I usually get two or three kinds of miniature bars and give them a choice. The kids in my neighborhood like Snickers and Butterfingers.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 10:58:04 (permalink)
    My fav. is popcorn balls. I remember "before the razor blade scare" getting homemade popcorn balls for Halloween. I always make popcorn balls in the fall (rhymes don't it!). Now I buy Act II brand popcorn balls wrapped in Halloween bags and give them out. They are kind of hard to find, but sometimes I find them at Wal-Mart and this year they are at Walgreen's. I usually buy 2 boxes of them (I had one for breakfast them am).
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 11:14:47 (permalink)
    Skittles
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 11:30:36 (permalink)

It can be hit or miss for trick or treaters. There are kids here, but school nights do put the kibosh on whether they do come out or not. It seems that many kids will only walk as far as their parents are willing to accompany them.
    Frankly, I hate to be stuck with leftover candy. My solution is to give the little monsters my beads from Mardi Gras' past. I have a giant bag of them and they are cool enough to enhance any costume.

mark
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 11:30:55 (permalink)
    anything chocolate (hershey, nestle, etc) and you're good. Dum dums and smarties are the WORST and you can't trade them for anything better because everyone always ends up with a ton of them in their bags. The resees cup is like gold for trick or treaters.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 11:40:37 (permalink)
    Remember to have a fifth of whisky at the door for the parents.. (Pour them a slug)..

pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 11:49:56 (permalink)
    I know what JVSMOM means about NOT looking cheap, but, really wish people didn't have to worry about things like that. Face it, the amount of candy kids come home with is rediculous. One 'dum-dum' or piece of candy per place would be more than the kids would ever actually eat anyway

IMHO, people go overboard, case in point, our son used to come home early from trick or treating, go thru his candy, take out what he liked best and then bring the bag to the front door and dump the rest into the bowl of candy we were giving away! He got so much stuff that even the 'candyhound' he is, knew he couldnt eat it all! He didn't just give back the dum-dums and hard candy either....there was good stuff, just too dog-gone much of it.

I am half tempted to quit doing the trick or treat thing. We were away last year and missed it, but, at the price of candy if the ungrateful little buggers are going to be pi**ed over what they get, they shouldn't get anything.

Dan

Maybe this year I'll go get the cheapo vairety pack, and they wont come back next year, LOL
    frogger67
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 12:39:33 (permalink)
    I live in an apartment building and rarely get trick or treaters (you'd think parents would prefer kids to trick or treat in apartments---no cars around!)

Every year I end up hauling the same stuff to the office because of the lack of kids....every year it's the same: Miniature Kit Kats, Mounds bars, and Baby Ruth.

Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 12:59:04 (permalink)
    Unless you're sure you'll get a lot of kids, buy mini-bars of what you like. We used to get more traffic at our apartment in the city than we do now in the suburbs. Seems folks in the suburbs tend to drive the little ones to "safe" cul-de-sac or small plat neighborhoods, so our feeder street is pretty well ignored.

Gives us something to snack on until Christmas...
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 13:11:53 (permalink)
    I remember having to "check out the candy to see if it's all ok" when my eldest was a little trick or treater.. let me just taste that snicker's to see if it's not poisoned or anything...lol
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 13:36:13 (permalink)
    Kinda off topic but there are some neat recipes for scarry looking things. Spiders, worms, bones, and the like. Probably not something to give out to the treaters though. Maybe a new thread? Oh, maybe there is an old one?
    Joe
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 13:46:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by frogger67

I live in an apartment building and rarely get trick or treaters (you'd think parents would prefer kids to trick or treat in apartments---no cars around!)

Every year I end up hauling the same stuff to the office because of the lack of kids....every year it's the same: Miniature Kit Kats, Mounds bars, and Baby Ruth.

A lot of large apartment houses in NYC are forming T&T fests: there are often small parties in the lobby, then a mass walk aroundd the building. The doorman has a list of who wants callers or there will be a sign on the apartment door. Some people have just "grab bags" in front of the door. These events are very carefully monitored so that only "building children" are allowed to partciapte. Actually it brings a little community spirit to NYC apartment life. Some of the shops in the area (grocery, candy store, phot shhops, etc.) also give out candy to kids who come in.

I personally live on a street used for the (now huge, commercialized) Greenwich Village Halloween Parade. This used to be fun, but now the streets are overwrought with drunk stoned kids climbing all over buildings to get a view. Some people even bring their own ladders to see better.The police close down streets so I can't get home from across the street when I come off the subway. I have to go to different stops and fight crowds to pass. So, I really like the homey feeling of our apartment T&T patrol!
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 13:51:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Remember to have a fifth of whisky at the door for the parents.. (Pour them a slug)..

My in-laws live in a small lake community and we go there trick or treating with my neices - there is actually a house where they give out cans of beer wrapped in tinfoil for the adults!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 15:50:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jvsmom

Whatever you do, you don't want to look cheap. Don't be the person standing there giving out 1 lollipop (like Dum-Dums) or piece of hard candy per kid. And no pretzels. I guarantee they'll look at each other and roll their eyes as soon as they turn around, if not before. And don't bother with those cheap "variety packs" at the discout store that contain 15 lbs of candy for $.99. The kids will hate you for life.

Man o Man, Those were the houses that we egged, corned, and TP'd.
    Or put the flaming dog s**t on the door step and rang the bell.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 16:03:40 (permalink)
    How about leftover candy from Easter? Those candy eggs. Just joking!

Bubble gum and lifesavers can be a choking hazzard for little kids.

We have about 100 tricksters to service every year. We buy big bags of lotsa diff stuff and re pack in sandwitch bags with some of each kind. They even make some fancy little Halloween bags you can buy.
    Joe
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 16:06:19 (permalink)
    Last year we gave out misc treat bag we made our self, by using the halloween ziplock bags, and put 3-4 snack size candy bars (the good ones) and a frisch's halloween coupon.

We also made a pen of chicken wire filled it about 3/4 full of empty aluminium cans. I dressed in a costume and hid in the cans.

We put another can on the sidewalk, the sign on the pen said to help us keep the neighborhood clean, pick up litter.

When the unsuspecting little gobblin tossed the can into the bin, I sat up and roared and rattled all those cans.

Boy o Boy did those kids run, hey come to think of it we gave away less candy last year.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 16:08:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

How about leftover candy from Easter? Those candy eggs. Just joking!

Bubble gum and lifesavers can be a choking hazzard for little kids.

We have about 100 tricksters to service every year. We buy big bags of lotsa diff stuff and re pack in sandwitch bags with some of each kind. They even make some fancy little Halloween bags you can buy.
    Joe

That's funny we were tyoing about the same message at the same time!!
    Beer Belly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 16:08:44 (permalink)
    I had a friend that had forgotten it was Halloween until he saw some kids walking up to the door. He ended up giving out individually wrapped slices of cheese.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 16:20:04 (permalink)
    True Cajun, but you said it better! I liked that empty can idea!

Beer, I bet kids liked the cheese.
    Joe
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Halloween Favorites 2006/09/27 19:12:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pacman

I know what JVSMOM means about NOT looking cheap, but, really wish people didn't have to worry about things like that. Face it, the amount of candy kids come home with is rediculous. One 'dum-dum' or piece of candy per place would be more than the kids would ever actually eat anyway

IMHO, people go overboard, case in point, our son used to come home early from trick or treating, go thru his candy, take out what he liked best and then bring the bag to the front door and dump the rest into the bowl of candy we were giving away! He got so much stuff that even the 'candyhound' he is, knew he couldnt eat it all! He didn't just give back the dum-dums and hard candy either....there was good stuff, just too dog-gone much of it.

I am half tempted to quit doing the trick or treat thing. We were away last year and missed it, but, at the price of candy if the ungrateful little buggers are going to be pi**ed over what they get, they shouldn't get anything.

Dan

Maybe this year I'll go get the cheapo vairety pack, and they wont come back next year, LOL

Everyone is entitled to their own feelings on the matter. The original poster asked what kind of candy kids like nowadays, so I answered accordingly. If she didn't care, (which she has every right not to, as does everyone else), she wouldn't have bothered to ask.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1