Hallupki with Sauerkraut and Pork Chops

Author
Chef Susan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
2005/04/09 21:51:40 (permalink)

Hallupki with Sauerkraut and Pork Chops

We grew up next door to Czech decendents from PA. They taught us how to make Halupki. I now want to write this down in recipe form, but can't find any recipes that made it the way we were taught. The filling was pretty standard - rice (cooked!), ground meat (beef or pork or both) cooked with onions, rolled in cabbage leaves. The assembly: brown pork chops in the bottom of the pan, leave in the bottom of the pot, add a layer of rinsed sauerkraut with caraway seeds, a layer of cabbage rolls, another layer of the sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, sauerkraut and then 1-2 bottles of beer. Put the lid on the pot, and let simmer 2-3 hours. Does anyone else make it this way?

3 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Hallupki with Sauerkraut and Pork Chops 2005/04/09 21:57:48 (permalink)
    Not until now....

Halupki (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)

4-6 servings

1 head cabbage
    1 1/4 lbs ground meat
    salt and pepper
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon parsley
    1/2 chopped onions
    1 clove chopped garlic
    1/2 cup cooked rice
    2 cans tomato soup
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 3/4 cups water

Boil head of cabbage 10-15 minutes.

Take the leaves from the head (carefully) Mix the meat, salt and pepper, egg, parsley, garlic, onion and rice together.

Make individual balls out of the meat mixture and roll them up in cabbage leaves.

In a 5-quart dutch oven, put some leaves of cabbage on bottom of pan.

Add cabbage rolls on top.

Mix tomato soup, sugar, vinegar, and water together. Pour over cabbage rolls, cover and cook on medium heat for 1 1/2 hours.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: Hallupki with Sauerkraut and Pork Chops 2005/04/09 21:59:51 (permalink)
    Ooooooh, I had halupkies for lunch on Friday. They are absolutely killer. I get mine at Lobitz's, right behind where I work. He also makes the most fantastic smoked kielbassi, and dang good pierogies.

But, he doesn't make them THAT way. That way sounds fantastic, but he makes them pretty straightforward, cabbage rolls in the juice.

Tom
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Hallupki with Sauerkraut and Pork Chops 2005/04/11 11:23:34 (permalink)
    Chef Susan -

You are first person to mention use of kraut with stuffed cabbages - that's the only way I make them and wouldn't do without. Always wondered the origin - apparently it's the Czech version. I put tomato sauce on mine as well, though. I want to try your version. Thanks for the info!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1